Change to GameSpot Navigation Interface

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
That My Games dropdown is nice and all, but it only lists the first ten games in my tracked list in alphabetical order. That's nice I guess, but I'd prefer some other ordering that doesn't force me to view the whole list just because the game I want doesn't start with A or B. I'm not saying you should show the whole list, but maybe sort them by popularity or most recent update.
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#52 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
That My Games dropdown is nice and all, but it only lists the first ten games in my tracked list in alphabetical order. That's nice I guess, but I'd prefer some other ordering that doesn't force me to view the whole list just because the game I want doesn't start with A or B. I'm not saying you should show the whole list, but maybe sort them by popularity or most recent update.LordAndrew
I've been reliably informed (thanks megagood) that the old behaviour will soon return.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#53 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Too big, too bright. I don't really care about the improvements but I don't really have much of a problem with how it looks to say I want to get rid of it.
no1gamefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 no1gamefan
Member since 2008 • 989 Posts

It's waaaay too bright. I mean,it's fine if you used the lighter theme to begin with, but if you used the darker it's a bit too bright. It would be better if you were able tone it down a little.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LordAndrew
Good change, I always accidentally clicked on a news when trying to use the search function. Wondering though, I can't see the "Features" tab anymore, how do I get to that section for stuff like the HotSpot?BenderUnit22
I always just go directly to gamespot.com/hotspot. And unless the Features link gets added back, it like everyone else may have to do that as well. :( I would have just edited this into my latest post, but I can't access the page it's on. So you get this new post instead.
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
I think it looks terrible. There's too much contrast between the upper portion of the site and the rest if you're using the dark background. It looks like there's a totally different thing attached to the top of the page. :?
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dab198
[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]Good change, I always accidentally clicked on a news when trying to use the search function. Wondering though, I can't see the "Features" tab anymore, how do I get to that section for stuff like the HotSpot?LordAndrew
I always just go directly to gamespot.com/hotspot. And unless the Features link gets added back, it like everyone else may have to do that as well. :( I would have just edited this into my latest post, but I can't access the page it's on. So you get this new post instead.

A link to the Hotspot can be found under News.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#58 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]Good change, I always accidentally clicked on a news when trying to use the search function. Wondering though, I can't see the "Features" tab anymore, how do I get to that section for stuff like the HotSpot?LordAndrew

Yeah, but it's not exactly good site design if you have to use a direct url or Google to access parts of a site. Also, people who don't know that the HotSpot exists will never stumble across it this way. GameSpot lost a few other features this way with the old redesign as well, I believe there was and is no way to get to their old "Greatest Games of All Time" feature via the site
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#59 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
[QUOTE="LordAndrew"][QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]Good change, I always accidentally clicked on a news when trying to use the search function. Wondering though, I can't see the "Features" tab anymore, how do I get to that section for stuff like the HotSpot?dab198

A link to the Hotspot can be found under News.

Ah, thanks a ton. Would probably make more sense as a "Community" feature IMO.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#60 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
Good change, I always accidentally clicked on a news when trying to use the search function. Wondering though, I can't see the "Features" tab anymore, how do I get to that section for stuff like the HotSpot?BenderUnit22
I hope the features page isn't gone...I loved that page!
_LiquidFlame_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 _LiquidFlame_
Member since 2007 • 13736 Posts

It's fine except it's too white. You need to make an option for it to go with the dark theme.

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
It appears fine to me. However, I would prefer the "My Games" pull down to show all my tracked games.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

I think the opinion of the vast majority of GS is pretty much obvious now. Just go to OT and look at the thread there. I hate it too - it's just stupid and obnoxious imo. Also, could we get markop's request in the thread he made (which was locked) seen to? The one asking if we could have the old version in use for GS Ice users? I'm one, and I hate having to look at an orange and white GS tbh. >_>KOTORkicker

I have ice themed GS right now. Check it out :P

The power of firefox.

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#64 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
Looks great! Nice work to all involved.
Private_Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65 Private_Adam
Member since 2005 • 9864 Posts
I like the new design, but I think that you should remove "welcome" next to our username.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
There's too much contrast between the upper portion of the site and the rest if you're using the dark background. It looks like there's a totally different thing attached to the top of the page. :?guthwulf_de
I agree. It also makes it hard to see if you have messages or not.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
Is it me or has it become huge? At the very least, it looks far bigger. I also liked the "expending user panel" it was an easy way for me to visit friend's blogs. Now I no longer have it... :( There is also the matter of colour clashing with the dark background.
FreeBander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 FreeBander
Member since 2002 • 455 Posts

I need Sunglasses on the Site now.Whoa! this is Bright.

BadassZetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 BadassZetta
Member since 2009 • 557 Posts
It's not bad, but it's not really much of an improvement over anything either. I don't like how it runs off the sides of the page; looks awkward.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
+1 Too bright......
DamageIncM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DamageIncM
Member since 2005 • 787 Posts

OK, the changes, instantly... not cool, just not...
It took less than a minute to annoy the heck out of me.

Anyway, it will stay this way anyway.
All I'd say is, indeed (as said before) make the bar in the top darker or something.
Maybe, I don't know, make it the same black as in the "dark theme" when you use that one.

Alsooo... the previous games-dropdown was indeed not all great.
Personally it always just took too long to load the "feeds" or updates or whatever.
Which I didn't use anyway, I just wanted to jump to my games.
However, even though now it's been thinned down to just showing the games,
it just shows 10 and then lastly "show all".
Can't it go back to like the full list with a scroll-bar or something like that?
Before I clicked the "show all"-link, I thought it would expand the list to show all titles.
But instead it just went to the "My Games"-page, which takes just as long as the previous version again.

For the rest it's alright I guess.
As long as it's easy to navigate (quickly) and it looks clean and tidy, is all I care about. :)

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
Can I also request that the PM inbox and update buttons be switched back round to having the PM link on the left hand side, with the udpates on the right? I don't know why that was changed around, but it's weird for me :(
NeutralDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NeutralDamage
Member since 2009 • 276 Posts
Can I also request that the PM inbox and update buttons be switched back round to having the PM link on the left hand side, with the udpates on the right? I don't know why that was changed around, but it's weird for me :(Caddy06_88
I agree. Also I don't like the change. It's way too bright. :( Not cool GameSpot. :?
Avatar image for deactivated-6051243a90476
deactivated-6051243a90476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#74 deactivated-6051243a90476
Member since 2005 • 310 Posts

I for my part consider the site changes more or less suboptimal, to be honest ...

That the "My Games"-pulldown isn't directly beneath my user-data is confusing because it kinda disrupts the navigation. Moreover the change of the section headers isn't really of advantage because now the platform-sections are only separated by another color ... And last but not least it's a pity that the "Latest & Greatest"-section was downgraded to three tiny teasers instead of the old preview-function with teaser-pictures in it.

DamageIncM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DamageIncM
Member since 2005 • 787 Posts

You know, I was just thinking:

What would be even better, if the display was like modular.
That you could just drag buttons and modules of course to wherever the user wants them to be.
If not that, maybe there could be more settings/options added in the "prefs".
So maybe you could set each button whether to show or not, positions in which "bar" and for example "left/right or center".

Just a thought.
Might need a while to get to that, but I don't think you'd need to overhaul the entire website.
I'm trying to think of where I saw something similar and it worked really well...

boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts

the change is great. i like it.

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#77 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
Can I also request that the PM inbox and update buttons be switched back round to having the PM link on the left hand side, with the udpates on the right? I don't know why that was changed around, but it's weird for me :(Caddy06_88
I'm going to have to second this, I don't like how the PM icon and update icon have been switched. Also, what happened to the little expand thing that showed you recent updates?
LGTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#78 LGTX
Member since 2009 • 858 Posts

So, is the administration going to darken the header for the black skin? Or not?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

[QUOTE="KOTORkicker"]I think the opinion of the vast majority of GS is pretty much obvious now. Just go to OT and look at the thread there. I hate it too - it's just stupid and obnoxious imo. Also, could we get markop's request in the thread he made (which was locked) seen to? The one asking if we could have the old version in use for GS Ice users? I'm one, and I hate having to look at an orange and white GS tbh. >_>lettuceman44

I have ice themed GS right now. Check it out :P

The power of firefox.

I noticed that too but when i used it the extra boxes on the forum page (friends, my unions) had disappeared

XanderKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80 XanderKage
Member since 2006 • 8956 Posts

Here's a question - will all this (mostly negative) feedback result in any changes to the header?

stevo_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 stevo_360
Member since 2006 • 502 Posts

I'm liking the brighter colours. Nice work guys.

saggie16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 saggie16
Member since 2005 • 36 Posts

its great! love it! the new bar of my games is awsome!

great job Gamespot!

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

Here's a question - will all this (mostly negative) feedback result in any changes to the header?

XanderKage
Let's hope so. My problem isn't with the header itself, I actually like the new design, it's just that it's far too bright for the dark version of the site. :(
Racer_XLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Racer_XLR
Member since 2008 • 21664 Posts
I'm not liking it. There should be an option to switch to a darker theme. But if GS wants to keep it like this, I'm sure I'll adjust.
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 dab198
Give the staff a chance to get into the office, and maybe we'll find out :) It's only half 9 in the morning in SoCal after all.
Avatar image for deactivated-57fc1e7e5be4b
deactivated-57fc1e7e5be4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-57fc1e7e5be4b
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Some times I still miss the old style GameSpot site:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070606225237/www.gamespot.com/pc/index.html?tag=header;logo

But overall it looks better and are little easier too use now.

StanleyL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 StanleyL
Member since 2004 • 1280 Posts

All of your feedback is getting taken into account. It's why Jody made sure to consolidate all of it into one thread, so it'd be easier for us to look through. No promises on changes, but I can assure you we're reading all you guys have to say.

Mr_Versipellis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#88 Mr_Versipellis
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts
Yuck, the top bar really clashes with the dark theme...
StargamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 StargamerX
Member since 2006 • 1303 Posts

It's alright. I miss having the other CNET websites at the top of the page though. Also, I don't like how the 'My Games' pulldown is only the first 10 or so games. Other than that, looks pretty good.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

I do think the white at the top is a bit bright. Otherwise, all's well. I'm not bothered by the drop down bar, since I never use it anyway.:P

icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts

I agree with most everyone on the "to bright for dark theme" comments.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
I like the brightness for the light theme, add a different color for dark theme
Jmaster3265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Jmaster3265
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts

I prefered the original one, the one before this update. I feel that it is too bright and it appears smaller? At least on my 1280 X 1024 screen resolution.

Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
I don't mind it. It works well. The only thing that I don't like is it messed up my Stylish themes in firefox :(
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LordAndrew
Good point. I thought I was going crazy for a moment until I realized that they switched the two around for no apparent reason. :?
icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts

[QUOTE="Caddy06_88"]Can I also request that the PM inbox and update buttons be switched back round to having the PM link on the left hand side, with the udpates on the right? I don't know why that was changed around, but it's weird for me :(LordAndrew
Good point. I thought I was going crazy for a moment until I realized that they switched the two around for no apparent reason. :?

Agreed. I am so used to the old way that I still get confused when looking at them.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it but I dont see the blog feed that was right left of the small avatar on the top right side of the screen, anywhere... :(

Is it removed?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#98 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it but I dont see the blog feed that was right left of the small avatar on the top right side of the screen, anywhere... :(

Is it removed?

Teenaged

If your talking about the "expand" feature, then yes. It seems to have been removed. It's a shame too, I thought it was quite useful.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Is it removed?

c_rake

If your talking about the "expand" feature, then yes. It seems to have been removed. It's a shame too, I thought it was quite useful.

:(

I was using it all the time.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#100 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Is it removed?

Teenaged

:(

I was using it all the time.

As was I. I'd love to see it return at some point, as I thought it was a very useful feature.