Can't use PNG in my signature anymore?

#1 Posted by KHAndAnime (13450 posts) -

I used to have a transparent PNG image in my signature. Now it's .jpg and it looks all messed up.

How do I get it back to using the .png file I uploaded? I notice other users with .GIFs in their signature so I know it's possible

#2 Posted by harry_james_pot (10581 posts) -

Did it get fixed? Because your current sig has transparency and displaying just fine.

#3 Posted by KHAndAnime (13450 posts) -

Did it get fixed? Because your current sig has transparency and displaying just fine.

Nope. Gamespot did something stupid so that it reuploads .GIF files as .GIF and anything else that isn't .GIF becomes .JPG.

.GIF doesn't do transparency well, nor image compression for that matter. I have to set a background matte for the .GIF that matches the color theme of Gamespot. If you switch the color theme to white, the transparency on my image doesn't work half as well anymore.

.PNG is superior to .JPG for small internet images, it doesn't make sense for them to just disable it like that, especially when it worked before! I feel like I undid something special because I had the only proper transparent sig :(

#4 Posted by harry_james_pot (10581 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

Nope. Gamespot did something stupid so that it reuploads .GIF files as .GIF and anything else that isn't .GIF becomes .JPG.

.GIF doesn't do transparency well, nor image compression for that matter. I have to set a background matte for the .GIF that matches the color theme of Gamespot. If you switch the color theme to white, the transparency on my image doesn't work half as well anymore.

.PNG is superior to .JPG for small internet images, it doesn't make sense for them to just disable it like that, especially when it worked before! I feel like I undid something special because I had the only proper transparent sig :(

Wait.. It's been converting PNG to JPG since the redesign, right?

#5 Edited by KHAndAnime (13450 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@harry_james_pot said:

Nope, not until some time after the redesign.

#6 Posted by harry_james_pot (10581 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@harry_james_pot said:

Nope, not until some time after the redesign.

I see. I hope we get a response as to why this change happened. :/