Kurtizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Kurtizz
Member since 2004 • 118 Posts

While it's possible in Chrome, I can't left mouse-click to open a link in Firefox. If I use my middle mouse-button the link opens as usual in a new tab. Please fix this.

spikieBE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 spikieBE
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@Kurtizz said:

While it's possible in Chrome, I can't left mouse-click to open a link in Firefox. If I use my middle mouse-button the link opens as usual in a new tab. Please fix this.

for me it works in firefox, but I got a ton of issues in IE11, including the problem you mention. I use IE11 as my main browser so for me these are blocking issues

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

Happening to me as well on Waterfox.

eBusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 eBusiness
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

It is your ad-blocker, it correctly blocks navigation to Google Analytics, which is what the JavaScript attached to the link element does. The script will for some reason not work when you initiate it with a middle-click. I have never seen such a construction before.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@Kurtizz:

As eBusiness said, you might want to consider if any plug-ins are interfering with things on GameSpot. Indeed, some webpage elements make use of Java scripts which the default AdBlock subscription will block.

Kurtizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kurtizz

@spikiebe: @Gelugon_baat: @eBusiness: It's safe to assume it's indeed my ad blocker. Thanks for the help, guys!

I keep it active because Gamespot looks so much better without these ads. If it means I can't left click on links, so be it :)

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#7 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@Kurtizz: You could learn how to use a customized list, you know. :\

Kurtizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kurtizz

@Gelugon_baat: I know how to do that but I thought it was a bug on Gamespot's end. That's why I posted this topic.

I don't really mind that I have to use my middle mouse button because most of the time I open links on Gamespot in seperate tabs.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By tsunami2311
Member since 2003 • 1798 Posts

If it is ad block plus cause it then the problem is purely random, some times it work with ABP enabled other times it dont work. I could then again disable it and still have the issue at random.

This only web site i have this issue with. So possibility that is the web site is greater then it firefox

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@Kurtizz:

Sorry you're having issues with this, could you answer the questions for me?

• What is your Operating System
  • Are you using any plug-ins or extension, if so what are they?
  • What is your Internet Browser
  • Are you using a home network to access the internet or something like a library/university/college/business connection?
Kurtizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kurtizz

@DigitalDame:

• Windows 7 Service Pack 1
  • Shockwave Flash 16.0.0.296; OpenH264-videocodec by Cisco, Inc 1.1; (The others are set to 'ask for activation')
  • Extensions are: Adblock Plus 2.6.7 (https://adblockplus.org/) Some others for web development and other things but they can't be the issue.
  • Firefox
  • I'm using a home network

It's purely the adBlock for Firefox. I disabled it for gamespot.com and now everything works as usual. While the adBlock was active, my only problem was that I couldn't left-click on links, only open them in new tabs. But as I mentioned before, I don't mind opening links in new tabs because most of the time I open links this way on gamespot. Chrome has adBlock also but here the issue doesn't arises.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tsunami2311

I still question if its Adblock i disabled it a few times and still had the issue. So i just leave active now, site worked fine for about week then started doing this again.

Win 7

Firefox

Abblock plus

home network

Kurtizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kurtizz

@DigitalDame: @tsunami2311: Indeed, same with me. It worked a couple of days ago, now it doesn't. I still have Adblock plus active btw. But yeah, even if I disable it, the problem occurs

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tsunami2311

@Kurtizz:

It either Firefox, and all the Firefox 3d party builds, or its the site and considering it only happens gamespots site, and there site a range of issues that either have not been fixed yet or took forever to fix,

Hell It took there a good year + to sort out the issue with the black layout showing the white layout issue. im go with its the site, ever since this current layout there site there have been issues with the site.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tsunami2311

New layout does not fix the randomly not working links. requiring you right click the link open a new tab/window

SiNoNaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By SiNoNaX
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts

Hello guys,

Even though this post is 5 months old I thought I would provide a solution for this issue.

I have done some testing and have replicated this issue on Chrome by installing Ghostery(Blocks Trackers) , and Adblock. Disabling adblock did not resolve the issue and I still had to open videos in new tabs. However checking the trackers/beacons used on Ghostery I found out that if you block "Media Optimizer (Adobe)" you will be unable to left click on videos. To resolve this you can whitelist "Media Optimizer (Adobe)" just for Gamespot on whatever extension/plugin you are using.

This is the Media Optimizer(Adobe) script that will require access:

https://www.ghostery.com/gcache/?n=Media%20Optimizer%20(Adobe)&s=http%3A%2F%2Fdpm.demdex.net%2Fid%3Fd_rtbd%3Djson%26d_ver%3D2%26d_orgid%3D10D31225525FF5790A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%26d_mid%3D12398424054916980989276195726407597279%26d_cb%3Ds_c_il%255B1%255D._setAudienceManagerFields&v=2&t=script

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#17 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Hey Synthia does this have anything to do with adobe flash with it being a security risk?

SiNoNaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 SiNoNaX
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts

@shadowchronicle: I have narrowed down the culprit to the following. There are two issues related to blocking advertisements and beacons that will affect videos.

1) Blocking Media Optimizer(Adobe) will require users to open videos in new tabs in order to view them. If a video is left-clicked nothing happens. This is the case for both Firefox and Chrome , I have not tested Internet Explorer.

2) If Double Click(Advertising) is blocked then videos get stuck at "Loading Video" , once enabled videos load without any problems.

Note: Blocking the above was done using the Ghostery plugin on Chrome.

Regards