Bring back the "new posts in thread" indicators.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Seriously. The omission of this feature in the new layout is simply stupid beyond stupid. Why this feature disappeared is beyond me, because being a regular poster on several different boards is damn near impossible without it.

In case it's not clear, I'm talking about the indicators on the thread list page which tell you which threads you've posted in, and how many new posts there's been in a thread since you last looked. The old layout had them, and the new one doesn't, for absolutely no reason. Nothing has been gained by removing those indicators, and the forums have been pretty much broken without them, as far as I'm concerned. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

This should be a #1 priority fix. It needs to happen right now. I've been a regular on this site for almost 10 years, and if these indicators aren't brought back by next week at the absolute latest, I'll have no choice but to take my internet traffic elsewhere, as I can't keep up a discussion on these forums without them.

#2 Edited by chunkowookie (268 posts) -

Seconded. The new layout should have never even made it to beta without that. It's such an obvious and essential feature, it literally hurts my brain to think of how stupid a designer would have to be to have overlooked it in the first place.

#3 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

I also just noticed, while putting the link to this thread in my sig, that apparently I can't remove the image from my sig now that it's there. I can only change it to another image.

So much fail, it boggles the mind. Who the hell did CBS outsource this redesign to, a junior-high-school web design class?

#4 Posted by tempura13 (468 posts) -

Same here. It has been a hassle to scan through all of the topics you've been following. In the old site, just a quick scan of the forum page and you'll have all the info you need. You also have the posting history in profiles for that too. What we have so far is only a list of our recent posts and threads we participated in under Watched Topics.

And I'd prefer individual boards per platform. I really think it's more organized this way.

#5 Edited by SolidSnake35 (58110 posts) -

I wonder why these kind of mistakes are made. They probably figured that if they included the feature, it would be broken... and decided not to bother.

#6 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -

+1

This was one of the best features that set Gamespot Forums apart from others and really made it easy to navigate. This needs to be a top priority feature to get reimplemented.

#7 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28121 posts) -

+1 from me as well.

It's almost impossible to keep track of what threads you've posted in. You have to go to whatever page you were on and find the last post you were on and start from there. It's ridiculous.

Come on.

#8 Posted by killerfist (19827 posts) -

I've been saying this since day one.

It's very hard to navigate the forums in its current state.

+1

#9 Edited by RobotOpBuddy (65103 posts) -

I imagine they'll add it to the new site sooner or later, it's a feature that a lot of us want after all, just a matter of when it gets added.

#10 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

IPB forum software has a great feature, it allows the members to mark unread threads as read. This is a great way to mark threads that one isn't interested in as read so on can see what threads have been posted in at a later time. IPB software also allows the clicking on the last poster's name to go to the first unread post.

#11 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Bump, because this needs to be acknowledged by a staff member.

@robbristow said:

I imagine they'll add it to the new site sooner or later, it's a feature that a lot of us want after all, just a matter of when it gets added.

The thing is... why would it have been removed in the first place? It's not like it's a new feature that lots of people want. It's an essential feature, that had been present on the old site for like 10 years. It should have been a no-brainer. Like, it should have been implemented, without a second thought or hesitation, right along with page numbers. It's just as important and fundamental, if not more.

It will be nice if/when they bring it back (although if it takes more than another couple days, I won't be sticking around to see it), but the fact that the new site ever even existed without it is just.... facepalmingly stupid.

#12 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

Yeah, this is easily the biggest issue I have with the site as of now, and it definitely needs to be fixed!

Sure, there's a profile feed where you can keep track of threads you posted in, but that's a very clunky feature compared to the simple convenience of a marker we had before. Also, I really have no idea who thought it was a good idea to include "Views", while removing the number of new posts for threads. As you said, hard to be a regular when you can barely keep track of your forum activity.

#13 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

Well I honestly thought that the thread title being white meant you haven't been in or there are new posts, and when you posted it went grey, like an already clicked hyperlink goes a purple when clicked.

Terrible and I can't go remembering every single thread I've been in, in order to remember "Yes I've posted in this thread and it's white again, therefore there are new posts." - Definitely not good enough, bring back the old indicators or make new ones to spice things up a little.

#14 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

+1 from me

Also when you look at your own posting history and click the topic it used to take you to your last post - letting you continue reading from that point on. Now you just go back to the top of the first page on the discussion and have to scroll back through to find your last post.

#15 Edited by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Bump again. Gonna keep this topic on the first page until a staff accounts acknowledges it, and posts here, saying they're fixing it.

#16 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

If it changed colors, other than white, it would help to distinguish from threads we have read and those we haven't read and are not interested in.

#17 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

This is probably the biggest issue with the forums at the moment, not knowing if you've already posted in a thread or if there are replies is terrible.

#18 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28121 posts) -

It's just odd that a staff member hasn't even responded to this. The least they can do is post in the thread to show that they're acknowledging it.

#19 Edited by megagene (23015 posts) -

This is definitely my biggest forum pet peeve as well. Aside from how slow they still are in terms of loading for me given my pretty speedy internet.

#20 Edited by OmitName (721 posts) -

a suggestion.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/3geip.jpg

if i may. each could be either emboldened when they apply or empty of their 'check' unless applicable.

• top left when clicked would take you to where you left off in a thread. it would also, by being checked or unchecked, indicate if you have read that particular thread. (the new posts / bookmark button) hypothetically if this were to happen, it would still look nice to keep it the way it is, in that each title is bold depending whether you have read each topic or not.
  • top right would lead you to your most recent post in the thread. (the posted in button)
  • bottom left would be the watched topic button. clicking would either watch or unwatch a topic. its supposed to be an eye. mspaint, woo!
  • bottom right would be at the staff's discretion. im sure they would find a useful purpose for it. perhaps clicking it would bring you to a stats page; number of views, who posted in, how many times each has. how many people are watching the topic; once they have that working properly so that commenting in, doesnt automatically watch a topic. maybe they could put an x or circle there to indicate when a thread is either locked or pinned instead of the little graphic that offsets the title as it does now.

this could also be mirrored next to, or somewhere in, every item in the list of each user's 'forum' section or their favorite / watched topic section to quell the hurting over the loss of the contributions section from the old version.

yay ideas! ok...... ill be over here *points. .....message me if you need me. *awkwardly walks away.

#21 Edited by DigitalDame (4067 posts) -

@the_bi99man: I can say for sure that this won't be happening in a week. However I have added this to the queue of site enhancements for the development team to review.

UPDATE: After speaking with one of the leads from the development team I have this to report:
It (a new posts in thread indicator) is a difficult feature, and we are still working on general site performance, but we will revisit this feature later.

#22 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@DigitalDame said:

@the_bi99man: I can say for sure that this won't be happening in a week. However I have added this to the queue of site enhancements for the development team to review.

UPDATE: After speaking with one of the leads from the development team I have this to report:

It (a new posts in thread indicator) is a difficult feature, and we are still working on general site performance, but we will revisit this feature later.

Thank you for the honest reply. I'm not happy with the current turn of events, but glad to see our complaints aren't falling on deaf ears.

I just hope the "later" part doesn't refer to a very lengthy time period, as this is a pretty major issue, and the lack of the said features is a tough pill to swallow for just about any regular from the "old" site, so it should be given a priority.

#23 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

@DigitalDame said:

I had to open a different browser to post this as for some reason, quoting you would not work in my default browser.

How can a feature be so difficult to add when there are plenty of forum software packages that do that right out of the box? My favorite developer's forum shows me that a thread has been posted or been posted in by bolding the topic thread. If read or marked as read (there is a button that allows one to mark the whole forum as read if one is not interested in all the topics made), then all the thread titles are in standard fonts. I also know that I have posted in them due to a star instead of a dot shows that it has been read or not read too. One can go directly to the post if one wants from the main page of the forum just by clicking on the title of the last thread posted in.

Once on the sub-forum, I can click on the dot, star or the date and be taken to the first unread post as well. I also can see who has posted in the thread and how many times just by clicking on the total post number of said topic. Once in the thread and posting, there are ways to quote multiple people or just one. If you reply to one post and then reply to someone else's or just post a new post right away, it is added automatically to your previous post. of course, BBcode works on that software too.

This is one of the reasons why I have stated that this particular software that GS is using is lacking. Such features should be part of the package and not just added in.

#24 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

@DigitalDame said:

Thank you very much for the reply. Good to know that the staff is aware of the need for this.

However, I must say I'm a little suspicious of the claim that it's a difficult feature, considering that it was already in place on the old site, and had been for like 10 years. I'm definitely still under the impression that it was simply forgotten about, because the people handling the redesign didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Still though. Good to hear that it's known and acknowledged. There is hope yet!

#25 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

@WhiteKnight77 said:

This is one of the reasons why I have stated that this particular software that GS is using is lacking. Such features should be part of the package and not just added in.

Exactly. That's what bugs me the most about the whole situation. That's an essential and fundamental feature for an internet forum. Granted, I don't frequent many forums, so I'm not sure about what else is out there, but it I don't understand how anyone could even make a forum without these indicators.

Sure is a lot more important than having a user's name and post count appear twice with every single post... Or having the forum name appear underneath the title of every single topic (I know I'm on the bug reporting and feedback forum. there's a title at the top, and I clicked on the damn thing myself. I don't need to be reminded 50 times on the same page of what I'm looking at).

#26 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

I do like the navigation link at the bottom that says Forums > Bug & Feedback > It allows for one to return to that forum topic page or the main forum page after making a post instead of having to scroll all the way to the top of a page, especially when it has a ton of quote chain posts in it.

#27 Edited by MirkoS77 (7585 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

@WhiteKnight77 said:

Exactly. That's what bugs me the most about the whole situation. That's an essential and fundamental feature for an internet forum. Granted, I don't frequent many forums, so I'm not sure about what else is out there, but it I don't understand how anyone could even make a forum without these indicators.

Sure is a lot more important than having a user's name and post count appear twice with every single post... Or having the forum name appear underneath the title of every single topic (I know I'm on the bug reporting and feedback forum. there's a title at the top, and I clicked on the damn thing myself. I don't need to be reminded 50 times on the same page of what I'm looking at).

You'd be surprised to know that Giant Bomb suffers the exact same issue as do a few other forums I've looked at after GS removed this function. Not surprising considering they're an affiliate, but still.,.....the feature is a forum no-brainer. It shouldn't even need to be asked to be included and tbh I'm bewildered that there's not more people complaining. I made a similar topic that was stickied for a few weeks and was just unstickied so I got a bit worried that it's going to be ignored but it's good to see that the staff responded here. The web designer replied in mine so that's also comforting.

For now I'm keeping about 10 browser tabs open at a time so I can just refresh and read where I left off. Good thing I have dual monitors.

#28 Edited by DigitalDame (4067 posts) -

@WhiteKnight77 said:

How can a feature be so difficult to add when there are plenty of forum software packages that do that right out of the box?

This code isn't out of a box, it's house built.

I'm not saying that it is a good reason for why some of your favorite features are gone, it's just -the-reason. The dev team knows that we want / need these things back (trust me I'm pretty sure they're tired of hearing from me at this point). Once the site gets on track we can start working on these things that the community wants.

Yes it sucks, yes you guys should have had these things at launch, yes you deserve it for being with us for so long, but all we can do is ask that you wait with us just a bit longer. You know, kind of a sticking with us in sickness and in health kind of thing.

#29 Edited by OmitName (721 posts) -

heh. good thing to say. i hope lots read it.

#30 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

@DigitalDame said:

@WhiteKnight77 said:

How can a feature be so difficult to add when there are plenty of forum software packages that do that right out of the box?

This code isn't out of a box, it's house built.

I'm not saying that it is a good reason for why some of your favorite features are gone, it's just -the-reason. The dev team knows that we want / need these things back (trust me I'm pretty sure they're tired of hearing from me at this point). Once the site gets on track we can start working on these things that the community wants.

Yes it sucks, yes you guys should have had these things at launch, yes you deserve it for being with us for so long, but all we can do is ask that you wait with us just a bit longer. You know, kind of a sticking with us in sickness and in health kind of thing.

That this forum is house built shows. That this forum and website should not have been launched until all the features wanted and needed also shows. I previously stated that there should have been more beta testers with a wide range of internet browsers used, yet that did not happen as while some features work for others, for others, with different browsers do not. People that have not been on the website as long as others were invited, yet those who have been here 10 years were left out.

Thank you for noting that right now, the website and forums sucks. I am sure the dev team is tired of hearing about the features that are still missing that keep members happy, but as a team that has funds to work on them compared to independent game developers who can barely afford to create a game and uses non-paid personnel to create and publish and run forums that have all the features members want and expect as seen in the below quote about a feature from a forum software maker, there is no reason why that they could not have done so from the get go whether home made or not.

I still come to the forums right now, but I spend less time now, compared to what I used to, spend on them. I recall other members stating the same thing.

IP.Board automatically keeps track of unread content for your users

It's tough to keep up with all the content that is posted to an active community. Luckily, IP.Board automatically remembers what a user has seen, so that unseen content can be highlighted for them. Even if they read a topic and come back later, the topic will be highlighted for them if someone else has replied.

Plus, browsing into the topic will automatically take them to the first post they haven't seen before. IP.Board makes browsing a busy community efficient.

#31 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9945 posts) -
@WhiteKnight77 said:

I still come to the forums right now, but I spend less time now, compared to what I used to, spend on them. I recall other members stating the same thing.

You can put me in that camp. I understand there are challenges associated with that feature but really hope that it has been moved up on the priority fixes board and won't be continually passed down because of it's "difficulty". I fear the longer these forums go without it, the lonelier the forums will become.

#32 Posted by MirkoS77 (7585 posts) -

@The_Rick_14 said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:

You can put me in that camp. I understand there are challenges associated with that feature but really hope that it has been moved up on the priority fixes board and won't be continually passed down because of it's "difficulty". I fear the longer these forums go without it, the lonelier the forums will become.

I've been here since around 2001 under two accounts and can say that there was a consistent bug that would arise every so often which would basically remove showing new posts at all so there's obviously something going on that they've always had a hard time getting a grasp on. I thought that's why it has been removed with the revamp but I'm now growing confident that GS will (eventually) fix this. I actually like the redesign (though I miss the "preview" feature) but this problem of showing no new posts is a pretty major flaw. Hopefully it won't be more than a few months before they get it working. It is curious though why GS would even relaunch the site with such a thing missing.

#33 Edited by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

So, an update: For a minute there, I started thinking that maybe there WAS actually an indicator for new posts, just not with the actual number of new posts. I had noticed that the titles of topics I had looked at/posted in had gone grey in the thread list page (like an already-clicked link), and they seemed to be going back to white when there was new posts. But then I did a couple experiments, specifically looking for it, and I can't seem to find a pattern. The links are never grey when I haven't looked at a thread yet, but they don't always go grey after I have, either. And sometimes, after going grey, they go back to white when there hasn't been any new posts, and sometimes they stay grey, even when there are new posts. So, I'm pretty sure that's not actually a new post indicator. Or, if it is, it's broken.

#34 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4028 posts) -

I have mentioned this in my post. DigitalDame ( Synthia ) has seen it but I don't know what's going to happen with it.

#35 Posted by adamosmaki (9652 posts) -

add me to the people annoyed by the lack of it. That and the old posting history ( posting history of the new site is next to useless )

#36 Edited by DigitalDame (4067 posts) -

Checking in with you guys. This is still an item that is in the road map of features to consider for V2 (see this weeks Bug and Feedback Report).

#37 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28121 posts) -

Bumping because it's fucking annoying that this still hasn't been put into place.

Nice that the staff has responded.

#38 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Yeah, this is my biggest complaint after not being able to use html for images and links anymore...

#39 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151408 posts) -

Have to agree. The notifications system is not at all user friendly. I'd rather have the indicator that I posted in a specific thread with the new posts so I can go back if I chose.

Edit: Also blog notifications. With all the post notifications the blog notifications get lost and it's difficult to keep up with friends blogs. And while we're at it...can we stop blogs from showing up in forums?

Edit 2: Can quotes be cut down after two or three? I try to do that myself but then sometimes it cuts down the entire quote chain and I have to start over. It's kind of annoying when quotes get long.

#40 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

+1

This needs to happen asap, the forums feel so clumsy without it.

#41 Posted by konvikt_17 (22248 posts) -

+1

ive lost track of several threads that ive posted in. re-read several threads, because i forgot where the last post i read was. even came across a couple threads that i posted in, but had no recollection of posting in it, due to no way of knowing if ive read/posted in a thread, other than memory.

this shit is fucking annoying. i find myself spending more time over at /b/ than here.

#42 Edited by ShadowsDemon (10138 posts) -

Same here. I'd like it back.

#43 Edited by MirkoS77 (7585 posts) -

Bump. I'm not going to let this issue die.

#44 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

I hope it will return before long.

#45 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1345 posts) -

+1, For me this is the thing I miss most from the old Gamespot. This and how returning to a thread you've previously posted in takes you to the first post and not your last post, likewise with reloading a page.

#46 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28121 posts) -

So.. any word on this? It's kind of ridiculous.

#47 Posted by MirkoS77 (7585 posts) -

So it's going on past a month (two?) and this still hasn't been fixed. Obvious now it's not a priority. Is it coming back, or not?

#48 Edited by BrunoBRS (73261 posts) -

going to bump this because the lack of this feature single handedly made me stop posting actively across multiple boards, and now i just lurk on one board, rarely ever bothering with threads.

#49 Posted by Macutchi (4133 posts) -

can't believe this still has not been resolved, and on a similar note, neither has showing an indicator for any topics you've posted in. simple, essential forum features, completely overlooked. there's just no excuse for it