benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

User Lists: 0

#1 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I've just noticed after typing up a blog I've just posted after posting this noticed this at the bottom section of my blog-

BESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswy

not sure if anyone else has had this problem

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

That same sequence of text appeared after I proofread and chose "save modifications" for one of my comments, yesterday. I did not add or alter any text in that comment.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#3  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Generally caused by a web font loader runtime test in typekit (used by the GS WYSIWYG editor) adding spans or similar containing BESbswy as a test string to check when font changes have worked, and for whatever reason it's still there in the final post when it should've been removed by that point. In many cases the string will also contain a 에 character between the lowercase b and lowercase s. This will normally appear in code as \uc5d0 if present.

If this wasn't an issue previously and merely unnoticed then it's probably crept in from a custom font change somewhere, I'm not sure when GS last changed that sort of stuff - best bet is having the devs search the relevant code sections for "BESbswy" and "BESb\uc5d0swy" to help pinpoint the cause of the issue and work from there though.

Chances are it won't occur at all if you only use plain text of course (or at least don't format the text beyond things like basic links/images), but pasting from elsewhere can easily drag over additional formatting rather than just text.

A surprisingly large amount of sites have an issue with this string appearing as primary keywords on their site and appearing in search results for their pages even though the text isn't visible on the page itself, as a quick google search for "BESb에swy" can show.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

I've got that same problem on Valentine's day,I wrote this special drama,and at the bottom of the blog,appeared a large chunk of unwritten text,I've tried my best to keep it out of format,even this applied to a recent test blog,I compared this issue over an older drama blog I wrote on 31st January.

was this a part of a developer's test? come on now, everyone knows that it's not damaged badly,so it shouldn't be fixed,it'll create more problems,now I have to stay here in the forums til it's fully resolved

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#5  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@Smashbrossive50: It's a test that is included as part of typekit, it wasn't intentionally added by the GS devs as far as I'm aware - the bug is simply that the test isn't cleaning itself up properly prior the submitted post appearing on the page at times, and as such the string is creeping it's way into posts.

I've corrected it in the 'special drama' blog you posted - the only thing I noticed that could have caused the bug to trigger was the data-left/right-indent values (which were 0 anyway, so unneeded), but it's possible some other things had already been filtered out and that the indent data values had nothing to do with it - incidentally the editor handles indents via left/right margins, so they're not even used by the indent buttons, which begs the question of why they are there to begin with.

That said, benleslie's blog doesn't have those attributes in his blog post and still had the issue initially. I suspect whatever is triggering it is being filtered out upon opening up the editor again to edit them out, so you can essentially get rid of it just by editing the blog, removing the unwanted line of said string, and submitting it again. It shouldn't be appearing to begin with mind.

Might be worth noting what browser you're using/used to post the blogs that had the issues and whether or not it was copy-pasted from a different source into the editor. If the test blog was just typed straight in with no formatting though then I have no idea what the front-end trigger is, I'm only familiar with the string as a typekit issue because I've seen it before on other sites.

I've removed it from ben's and your actual blogs, but I'll leave it in your test blog as the devs may (or may not) be able to see something from the back end via it that I can't.

Edit: I noticed the test string in an in-use js file updated March 2014, but I'm fairly surely the issue wasn't occurring back then, or at least no one mentioned it - as such I suspect this is more something triggering the script when it shouldn't for some reason, though what exactly I have no idea atm.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

This is a bit out of hand but I still got one more episode before I can make a new one,and yet I don't know if the bug will be there or not.

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/Smashbrossive50/blog/tails-blogbuster-the-preventer-part-1/26067587/

That's the link from where I last stopped,I'm going to finish the episode when I have the time for it.

For your inquiry @RobotOpBuddy I used Mozzila to work all of them,and the source is authentic(the words are from my typings and created here) so it's no copy-paste from a word processor

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@BranKetra said:

That same sequence of text appeared after I proofread and chose "save modifications" for one of my comments, yesterday. I did not add or alter any text in that comment.

Same here, after writing something, editing it for spelling errors etc. I click save modifications and suddenly these letters appear in a huge font (has happened multiple times now).