Ban People From Union

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hoop_hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hoop_hard
Member since 2005 • 20418 Posts
I think the Leader should be able to ban people from their unions if they are disruptive and stuff. 
pdo4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 pdo4545
Member since 2005 • 1321 Posts

hmm thats a prett good idea but if GS dosn't use it, here are some options for the leader of the union:

#1. Report the User to the Moderators.

#2. The leader of the union can change his/or her's union privacy settings.

Viennoiserie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Viennoiserie
Member since 2007 • 2205 Posts
...Or you can simply kick that user from the union...
Rokin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rokin1
Member since 2005 • 4230 Posts
...Or you can simply kick that user from the union...Viennoiserie
...and do it every single time he tries to join it again. Why do you thing there is banning?
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#5 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
this would be a handy option..some ppl keep coming back and are a pain in the ass up until the moderators do something about it (which can often take a fair while if the things they're doing aren't majorly serious offenses...most union leaders want their unions to be open to everyone really...
tmac200913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tmac200913
Member since 2006 • 16647 Posts

this would be a handy option..some ppl keep coming back and are a pain in the ass up until the moderators do something about it (which can often take a fair while if the things they're doing aren't majorly serious offenses...most union leaders want their unions to be open to everyone really...robbristow

yea I agree cuz some people just keep coming back even after you kick them outta your union

dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
It's been proposed by countless users before, but the thing that keeps this from being done is the other side of the same argument. Being that unions are supposed to be publically viewable content and such, and that denying people the right to see and participate in a public place is infringing on rights and stuff... I personally don't quite agree with that, seeing as how misconduct should really override any "rights" these users are entitled to. It's the same power the moderators have... while they act based on violations, it eventually comes to an arbitrary, subjective decision to actually go through with it. So it's all the same either way. However, this is necessary to a point because mods have had to babysit union leaders in handling their insignificant troublesome users countless times, when it could've been solved by the leader themselves if they had the power to ban that user from that specific union.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I'm agreeing 100% with dbz as he posted my exact words. However, I think I've heard it may happen once they get these new unions up, not sure though.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
[QUOTE="dbz345"]It's been proposed by countless users before, but the thing that keeps this from being done is the other side of the same argument. Being that unions are supposed to be publically viewable content and such, and that denying people the right to see and participate in a public place is infringing on rights and stuff... I personally don't quite agree with that, seeing as how misconduct should really override any "rights" these users are entitled to. It's the same power the moderators have... while they act based on violations, it eventually comes to an arbitrary, subjective decision to actually go through with it. So it's all the same either way. However, this is necessary to a point because mods have had to babysit union leaders in handling their insignificant troublesome users countless times, when it could've been solved by the leader themselves if they had the power to ban that user from that specific union.

i believe that if there is misconduct in the union caused by certain users then they should have such rights taken from them...there is one thing if theis is implemented tho...there needs to be a way to unban users as well really just in case a leader accidentily bans someone that they didn't mean to...or alternatively i guess there could just be a pop up window asking if they want to or not...
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
Yes of course, because obviously a user can choose to change their ways, and then leader should have a way to undo their previous action when giving said user another chance. Either way, my point really does stay: a leader should have the power to keep out misbehaving members, even if some conditions have to be met for a continued banning (either some kind of a approval of a moderator to make the "ban" last more than a few days to prevent abuse).
TSP99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TSP99
Member since 2005 • 168 Posts

Yes of course, because obviously a user can choose to change their ways, and then leader should have a way to undo their previous action when giving said user another chance. Either way, my point really does stay: a leader should have the power to keep out misbehaving members, even if some conditions have to be met for a continued banning (either some kind of a approval of a moderator to make the "ban" last more than a few days to prevent abuse).dbz345

Hello,

I like this Idea. :)

I agree with what dbz345 said.

-TSP99 

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
Normal users with a ban option? Very bad idea! There are already enough problems cause UCB mods have too much power.
TSP99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TSP99

Normal users with a ban option? Very bad idea! There are already enough problems cause UCB mods have too much power.Dracula68

Hello,

:|

huh? :? 

I thought that this Idea was leaders or/and Officers to ban users from unions, not the site.

-TSP99

Avatar image for dallas_cowboys3
dallas_cowboys3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 dallas_cowboys3
Member since 2006 • 5549 Posts

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]Normal users with a ban option? Very bad idea! There are already enough problems cause UCB mods have too much power.TSP99

Hello,

I thought that this Idea was leaders or/and Officers to ban users from unions, not the site.

-TSP99

Trust me, Dracula is right. Some people on this site are crazy. Take what mud1234 did to Liquid Designs for instance. It's too risky.
TSP99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TSP99

Hello,

Trust me, Dracula is right. Some people on this site are crazy. Take what mud1234 did to Liquid Designs for instance. It's too risky.
dallas_cowboys3

"Some people on this site are crazy."

Well, some users are "crazy". :lol:

"Take what mud1234 did to Liquid Designs for instance. It's too risky."

That is a good point, and I do agree it is risky.

But, that is why the leaders have to be careful. :wink:

-TSP99

ElBanano216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ElBanano216
Member since 2005 • 15280 Posts
Seeing as if a random glitch/exploit could let them ban any user they wanted, that would be a very bad idea

Besides, Dracula is right.  There's already too many problems with UCB mods going crazy
TSP99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TSP99

Seeing as if a random glitch/exploit could let them ban any user they wanted, that would be a very bad idea

Besides, Dracula is right.  There's already too many problems with UCB mods going crazy
ElBanano216

Hello,

"Seeing as if a random glitch/exploit could let them ban any user they wanted, that would be a very bad idea"

hmm....maybe it is a bad Idea.

"There's already too many problems with UCB mods going crazy"

:lol: ......wait why am I laughing. :|

-TSP99

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
The idea behind UCBs/Unions not getting ban powers for their particular domains is that for someone to do something suspension or ban worthy in there, then it'll be something worth being banned/suspended from the entire community for. Basically, if a person is causing some real trouble in a union that the leader/admin can't handle, then he/she asks us for help, since the union/UCB is still bound by the overall Terms of Use. In any case other than this, it's likely just either a personal dispute or "I don't like this person, he's banned!", which is hardly a bannable offense... that's why even among the mods, only about 6 of us can actually ban. All of that aside, one point that stands out is one that others have already mentioned. Union officers/leaders and UCB mods/admins have been getting all power-hungry lately and either going on modding sprees just to show off or getting power hungry to the extent that even the Gamespot mods have been modded just for posting in "our domain" as one person put it (needless to say that whole thing didn't go over well). There are just too many bad eggs out there for GS to trust people with banning abilities, even if it only exists within someone's UCB or Union.
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yamum2
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts
leaders should be able to have that power to ban people its a great idea
hoop_hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hoop_hard
[QUOTE="TSP99"]

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]Normal users with a ban option? Very bad idea! There are already enough problems cause UCB mods have too much power.dallas_cowboys3

Hello,

I thought that this Idea was leaders or/and Officers to ban users from unions, not the site.

-TSP99

What did he do?
hoop_hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hoop_hard
Normal users with a ban option? Very bad idea! There are already enough problems cause UCB mods have too much power.Dracula68
What does UCB stand for?
TSP99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TSP99

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]Normal users with a ban option? Very bad idea! There are already enough problems cause UCB mods have too much power.hoop_hard
What does UCB stand for?

Hello,

I think it means User Created Board

-TSP99

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

[QUOTE="hoop_hard"][QUOTE="Dracula68"]Normal users with a ban option? Very bad idea! There are already enough problems cause UCB mods have too much power.TSP99

What does UCB stand for?

Hello,

I think it means User Created Board

-TSP99

Correct. I don't think a ban option should be included for some of the reasons stated, even if the powers are restricted to the UCB/Union.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="dallas_cowboys3"][QUOTE="TSP99"]

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]Normal users with a ban option? Very bad idea! There are already enough problems cause UCB mods have too much power.hoop_hard

Hello,

-TSP99

What did he do?

He had been recently made the leader of Liquid Designs, one of the more noteworthy banner/sig/avatar/etc unions on GS. One of the members was running a contest, and mud wanted to be on the judging committee, even though the judges had already been picked for a while. When he didn't get his way, he started deleting a whole bunch of threads in that union, destroying years of hard work that people had put into it. His justification was that it was "his union, so he can kill it if he wants to." He was indefinitely suspended with the option of coming back, but he never bothered to talk to an admin, last I checked. Long story short, it was a case of poor judgment on the part of the previous leader, but it doesn't change the fact that Leaders/UCB admins already have the ability to cause some major problems for people if they're not responsible.
Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Teivan
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]The idea behind UCBs/Unions not getting ban powers for their particular domains is that for someone to do something suspension or ban worthy in there, then it'll be something worth being banned/suspended from the entire community for. Basically, if a person is causing some real trouble in a union that the leader/admin can't handle, then he/she asks us for help, since the union/UCB is still bound by the overall Terms of Use. In any case other than this, it's likely just either a personal dispute or "I don't like this person, he's banned!", which is hardly a bannable offense... that's why even among the mods, only about 6 of us can actually ban. All of that aside, one point that stands out is one that others have already mentioned. Union officers/leaders and UCB mods/admins have been getting all power-hungry lately and either going on modding sprees just to show off or getting power hungry to the extent that even the Gamespot mods have been modded just for posting in "our domain" as one person put it (needless to say that whole thing didn't go over well). There are just too many bad eggs out there for GS to trust people with banning abilities, even if it only exists within someone's UCB or Union.

I'm totally in agreement with MAILER_DAEMON. This topic comes up every few month and I've talked about it before. In the future there may be a way to restrict membership in a union, but if the union has an open forum board, unless the user has been banned/suspended on the whole site, they'll still be able to participate. Of course if they are being disruptive, you can always report them to the moderators/admins and they will take appropriate action.
Gallego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gallego
Member since 2003 • 19446 Posts
you know you can easily solve this problem by making your Union by application or invitation only. If any user starts trouble and break the rules, just kick him/her out and she/he won't be able to post in your Union.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
you know you can easily solve this problem by making your Union by application or invitation only. If any user starts trouble and break the rules, just kick him/her out and she/he won't be able to post in your Union.Gallego
yer that's true, alot of leaders dnt like doing that for some reason tho...despite it only really being necessary for a moderate period of time...they won't keep trying to get into the union forever.. still..being able to prevent specific users from getting into the union for whatever reason would be helpful...at present kicking someone from a union is often not as effective as it should be at dealing with a problematic user...