This topic is locked from further discussion.

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Echelon730
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

I love the new website layout, and functionality. However I have been trying to watch videos on the site for a while and I notice that a lot of them are not running. I use Chrome and I have Ad Block Plus on, and nothing. Out of curiousity I copied the URL and went on to IE 10 with out any ad blocking software on it, and the videos loaded fine.

After I white listed Gamespot the videos played quickly, but with ads.

Gamespot if you are going to block content from users with ad block software, at least let them know that you are doing so. Maybe a splash page on the front of the video that says "Please turn off ad block software to view this content".

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Mine play fine on Safari, but if they want us to turn off adblock to watch videos, I'm fine with that. It takes a second to turn it off, and a second to turn it right back on afterwards, not a big inconvenience at all to me.

eHrg3IZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 eHrg3IZ
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Same problem here ... couldnt watch videos, I just got a black screen. As soon as i turned adblock off, it worked ... but the ads are very annoying!

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

This was not intentional, and they're working on it.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#5  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Adding "@@http://vidtech.cbsinteractive.com/plugins/ima3/3_2_1/CBSI_IMA.swf" (minus the "s) to custom filters in AdBlock or adding the "http://vidtech.cbsinteractive.com/plugins/ima3/3_2_1/CBSI_IMA.swf" (minus the "s) URL to exceptions in ABP should allow videos to play, at least in chrome - it may well work in some other browsers too but firefox in particular seems to require that you disabled AdBlock/ABP altogether.

That said, it's a known issue, so hopefully GS will provide a long term solution that doesn't clash with default ad block filters in the future.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@robbristow: Hey maybe you can sticky this thread that Synthia made about this issue so that everyone can see it?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/video-problems-and-you-adblock-awareness-30833370/#0

Glazkrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 Glazkrak
Member since 2004 • 10802 Posts

I created an exception rule of just @@||vidtech.cbsinteractive.com^ and am using Firefox. Sometimes videos will automatically play, other times a pause button is displayed and needs to be clicked on twice. Other than that videos play fine. A direct URL to the .swf didn't work for me, possibly because of the backend redirects or linking to one another via CBS scripts / files.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#8  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Good to know that firefox just needs a wider exception rule to make it work rather than a complete disable - though that suggests there's other parts being filtered in firefox (but not by chrome) that the player relies upon. Either way CBS are working on a fix for their back-end player to make it work with ad block so hopefully this won't be necessary for too long.

Glazkrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Glazkrak
Member since 2004 • 10802 Posts

It's definitely something unintentional in the Adblocker build since Chrome does not use a ported Firefox version, it has its own. (Basically because of the make up and programming behind it. Similar as a whole but different enough that it can't be a direct port. At least it was that way when Adblock was introduced to Chrome. Maybe they're closer in similarities now.) Perhaps Firefox's version is stricter. Allow x file only therefore blocking other files access to it, (the other CBS files, hence the video) whereas with Chrome maybe it's allow x file and whatever it links to. Maybe it's in the infrastructure of how each browser handles links and redirects. At this point I'm not sure but at least there's a way around it for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

It's a bug.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

@Glazkrak said:

I created an exception rule of just @@||vidtech.cbsinteractive.com^ and am using Firefox. Sometimes videos will automatically play, other times a pause button is displayed and needs to be clicked on twice. Other than that videos play fine. A direct URL to the .swf didn't work for me, possibly because of the backend redirects or linking to one another via CBS scripts / files.

Thanks for this. It's a nice temporary fix without watching the annoying ads. I still get lag even with the flash player updated. Youtube seems to be the best way to watch the vids.