About Me profile page has not worked for two whole days

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

The screenshot below of a HTTP 500 Internal Server Error is all I have received for the last two days...note the URL, and note text "The website has a programming error.":?

As far as I have been able to determine, that is the only Profile page I cannot get data from your servers.

about me not working

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
I have the same issue. But for me it just shows a blank page (in Firefox).
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 topsemag55

I have the same issue. But for me it just shows a blank page (in Firefox).killerfist

I think IE 8.0 is telling it right on a programming error, as we do have quite a few glitches in the GS software.:P

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#4 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

Yeah, I'm still getting this as well. :?

kerk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kerk12
Member since 2010 • 1580 Posts

I'm also getting this issue as well.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Same here.

Although my browser just shows me a blank page (white - unrelated though to the issue I made a thread about here yesterday).

Hellfire-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Hellfire-1
Member since 2009 • 3532 Posts
Same with me, although my previous thread about this was locked... but it is still happening. :?
Avatar image for crazyirishmikey
crazyirishmikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 crazyirishmikey
Member since 2008 • 317 Posts
Same with me, although my previous thread about this was locked... but it is still happening. :?Hellfire-1
Yup ... previous thread was locked without getting the issue resolved ... I'm also having the same problem (and I just checked, just to make sure that it was still happening) :( .
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 topsemag55

Same with me, although my previous thread about this was locked... but it is still happening. :?Hellfire-1

Yes, I opened this one and supplied a screenshot because yours was locked, but I still had the problem you posted about.:)

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 topsemag55

Same here.

Although my browser just shows me a blank page (white - unrelated though to the issue I made a thread about here yesterday).

Teenaged

Yeah Teenaged, I get the same page as my screenshot if I try to view your About Me page (or any other member's).

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Odd, I'm not experiencing the problem, I'm from the UK by the way.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 topsemag55

Odd, I'm not experiencing the problem, I'm from the UK by the way.fabz_95

Try looking at someone's About Me page by changing the URL to "www" in place of "uk" (not mine, mine is private)...you're on a set of UK servers, and this looks like a U.S. Gamespot server problem.

Pick one you know is in the U.S. if you can.

Hellfire-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hellfire-1

[QUOTE="fabz_95"]Odd, I'm not experiencing the problem, I'm from the UK by the way.topsemag55

Try looking at someone's About Me page by changing the URL to "www" in place of "uk" (not mine, mine is private)...you're on a set of UK servers, and this looks like a U.S. Gamespot server problem.

Pick one you know is in the U.S. if you can.

But for some reason my computer uses the UK server, and it's still happening to me... :? See? http://uk.gamespot.com/users/Hellfire-1/about_me?tag=profile-nav%3Babout-me
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 topsemag55

But for some reason my computer uses the UK server, and it's still happening to me... :? See? http://uk.gamespot.com/users/Hellfire-1/about_me?tag=profile-nav%3Babout-me Hellfire-1

Well, your post just made this glitch even more interesting.:o

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
This is happening to me too. It's very annoying.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 killerfist

[QUOTE="killerfist"]I have the same issue. But for me it just shows a blank page (in Firefox).topsemag55

I think IE 8.0 is telling it right on a programming error, as we do have quite a few glitches in the GS software.:P

hehe, yeah that's true:)

Here's a screen from Firefox btw:

Error

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="killerfist"]I have the same issue. But for me it just shows a blank page (in Firefox).killerfist

hehe, yeah that's true:)

Here's a screen from Firefox btw:

Error

That would be more nervewracking for me, a blank page.:o

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killerfist

That would be more nervewracking for me, a blank page.:otopsemag55

lol, it even says it's "done" loading the page in the bottom left corner:? Done loading what exactly?:P

This is very off-topic..but I wanted to ask anyway. Windows asks me every day to update windows live messenger to the 2011 version, but I want to keep the old 2009 version I have now. (they removed the option to use a webcam in the new version for some odd reason and replaced it with video call, which is very slow and glitchy).

Anyway, is there anyway to stop windows from asking to update? The update icon is in the top right corner as you can see.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Oh dear. Now I'm experiencing the problem, it only occurs in the about me section and it occurs at anyone's about me.
kerk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kerk12
Member since 2010 • 1580 Posts

This is very off-topic..but I wanted to ask anyway. Windows asks me every day to update windows live messenger to the 2011 version, but I want to keep the old 2009 version I have now. (they removed the option to use a webcam in the new version for some odd reason and replaced it with video call, which is very slow and glitchy).

Anyway, is there anyway to stop windows from asking to update? The update icon is in the top right corner as you can see.

killerfist

You can ask about this here

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
Is this still happening to anyone? I checked the about me pages of everyone who posted in this thread so far and everything loaded normally. If this issue is occurring at some times but not others, that may be an important characteristic of the problem to confirm. I also noticed that several of you might be outside the US. Was this happening to anyone who was in the US?

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 killerfist
Is this still happening to anyone? I checked the about me pages of everyone who posted in this thread so far and everything loaded normally. If this issue is occurring at some times but not others, that may be an important characteristic of the problem to confirm. I also noticed that several of you might be outside the US. Was this happening to anyone who was in the US?

gmax
Still the same for me, and I'm now on a different PC with IE8. And yes, I'm in Europe.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 topsemag55

lol, it even says it's "done" loading the page in the bottom left corner:? Done loading what exactly?:P

killerfist

Probably loading data for the HTTP 500 error, but your browser doesn't display it like IE 8.0 does.

In Windows, go "Start - Control Panel - Windows Update". Once you bring up the list of possible updates, click on the title of Live Messenger's update, and select to "hide the update".

Once you hide it, you can restore it later at any time.

The only drawback is if the new Live Messenger has any security patches within that your old one doesn't.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 topsemag55

gmax

Gmax, it's still happening to me, and I'm in the U.S.

I cannot view any member's About Me page, no matter which server they use.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="gmax"]Is this still happening to anyone? I checked the about me pages of everyone who posted in this thread so far and everything loaded normally. If this issue is occurring at some times but not others, that may be an important characteristic of the problem to confirm. I also noticed that several of you might be outside the US. Was this happening to anyone who was in the US?

I'm in the US and it's still happening to me. Yesterday I was trying to show another moderator the problem, and it's working for him as well. So right now, one of the most obvious things I've found is that it seems to be happening only to people who are not moderators. That would be extremely odd, even by Gamespot-glitch standards.
Hellfire-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hellfire-1

gmax
Still happening to me, whether or not I switch to US servers or not.
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#27 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

This problem is also happening to me.

Here are the facts we have so far:

1. It is not working for Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Other browsers have yet to be tested.
  2. Moderators or higher ranking users can see the About Me pages. Total Access Subscribers have yet to report any problem, if any.
  3. (This is my own discovery.) The About Me pages can be pinged (using Windows command prompt) and returns a satisfactory result.

My impression thus far is that a glitch may have occurred with the permissions given to non-Total Access user accounts to view certain pages.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChiliDragon
  1. It is not working for Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Other browsers have yet to be tested.
Gelugon_baat
My browser is Pale Moon, so at least one other has been tested. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I was able to reproduce the problem by simply not being logged in. The server response is an HTTP 500 with no body. (That is, the content length is zero bytes.) A lot of browsers show such a response as a blank white page; others that display "friendly" error messages may do something more than that, but it's all made up by the browser. I suspect the issue will occur in all browsers. Apparently being logged in as a moderator masks this issue. I think this is the first issue I've seen where being a moderator was a diagnostic factor.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 topsemag55

I was able to reproduce the problem by simply not being logged in. The server response is an HTTP 500 with no body. (That is, the content length is zero bytes.) A lot of browsers show such a response as a blank white page; others that display "friendly" error messages may do something more than that, but it's all made up by the browser. I suspect the issue will occur in all browsers. Apparently being logged in as a moderator masks this issue. I think this is the first issue I've seen where being a moderator was a diagnostic factor.

gmax

Someone needs to contact Jody and Dracula, so the programmers can get on this right away...that page does provide your complete stats, plus I'm thinking whatever was in the last software patch glitched this webpage.

ff7fan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ff7fan2
Member since 2006 • 31413 Posts
It is not working for Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Other browsers have yet to be tested.Gelugon_baat
Doesn't work with Chrome either.
ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts
I've been having this issue, too. :(
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Maybe once its back online some of the stats will update? *Glares at comments and profile views*...
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Apparently being logged in as a moderator masks this issue. I think this is the first issue I've seen where being a moderator was a diagnostic factor.

gmax

Apparently I missed that:oops: Anyway, my stats still seem to have the same numbers so I stand by the "I don't think anything updated".

RudeBoy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RudeBoy_
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

gmax

I am in the US, and yes, it is still happening. I'd also like to add that I've noticed the Profile Views in the About Me sections of users have not been updating for anyone prior to this bug for at least a couple months, as well.

eLite0101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#38 eLite0101
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts

Safari > blank page, IE > error here.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 topsemag55

Maybe once its back online some of the stats will update? *Glares at comments and profile views*... fastesttruck

Comments rarely update anymore...GS now counts them as Forum Posts.:lol:

I opened a thread about that a long time ago, but it wasn't acknowledged as a problem, so I just decided to forget about it.

I would like to see Profile Views fixed though.

Still, it's funny that Comments = Forum Posts, but they aren't in your Post History...that's why they should fix it.

digi-demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 digi-demon
Member since 2010 • 803 Posts

UK user - its still happening today - about me=HTTP error... is it getting a fix soon?:?

grasshopper6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 grasshopper6
Member since 2009 • 1367 Posts

it shows white blank page when ckicked on my, come on gamespot fix it

N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

Same here, Using firefox doesn't show the "about me" section. :(

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts

[QUOTE="fastesttruck"] Maybe once its back online some of the stats will update? *Glares at comments and profile views*... topsemag55

I opened a thread about that a long time ago, but it wasn't acknowledged as a problem, so I just decided to forget about it.

Still, it's funny that Comments = Forum Posts, but they aren't in your Post History...that's why they should fix it.

It seems to me that they won't acknowledge half of the issues that get brought up to them. Such as telegram issues in big unions. Which thanks to that I've now spent hours copying and pasting all the member names in my union and using that @ feature in blog comments to send the telegram. Vies have been broken, fixed, broken again, fixed again and so on. I'll never understand whats so hard about making something like that work right again when it used to work without issue
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 topsemag55

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="fastesttruck"] Maybe once its back online some of the stats will update? *Glares at comments and profile views*... fastesttruck

It seems to me that they won't acknowledge half of the issues that get brought up to them. Such as telegram issues in big unions. Which thanks to that I've now spent hours copying and pasting all the member names in my union and using that @ feature in blog comments to send the telegram. Vies have been broken, fixed, broken again, fixed again and so on. I'll never understand whats so hard about making something like that work right again when it used to work without issue

It's an inherent problem...keep piling on new changes without enough development testing and a soak period in offline servers prior to loading them into online systems. The military does it better...if a new software change can be shown to be the cause of a glitch, then the regulations state you must fall back to the previously-approved version.:)

grasshopper6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 grasshopper6

hellooooooooo gamespot, abut me don't work it shows white page helloooooooooooooo anybody there

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#46 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

It's finally working again! The profile views still haven't updated, though...

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

It's finally working again! The profile views still haven't updated, though...

M3tr4nk0
Yeah, I stated that up above. I'll leave this up for the weekend to make sure it is fixed for you all.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 topsemag55

Looks like the webpage is working again...many thanks to whoever patched the coding.:)

It would have been nice if they had dug a little deeper in the coding and corrected the profile view count however.:)

grasshopper6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 grasshopper6

why about me hasn't updated info for whole month it's stuck on same profile views and other stuff come on Gamespot I like that feature

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 topsemag55

why about me hasn't updated info for whole month it's stuck on same profile views and other stuff come on Gamespot I like that feature

grasshopper6

I would be shocked if the statistics variables and formulas were ever fixed...they work for a while, a new patch gets dropped in, and they quit working again.:P