A very simple but effective review improvement

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts

There have been a small number of occurrences where feedback from a review has been rather critical. Other times some users have expressed that certain concepts have not been taken into account for the final score. One example being how the game plays in the long term. Another being innovation (which can also apply to whether a game is up to date with it's feature set).

My proposition is a rather simple expansion of the marked categories in order to further explain the reasoning behind the score, for the sake of the game buyer.

Current System:

• Gameplay - 3 points
  • Graphics - 2 points
  • Sound - 1 points
  • Value- 2 points
  • Tilt - 3 points

Proposed change:
After giving a particular element an extra node, you are asked to distribute the two or three points to elaborate between sub-categories. Note: To keep things simple for the community, for player reviews this should be optional.
  • Gameplay
  • Innovation - 1 point
  • Genre comparison - 1 point
  • Fun factor - 1 point

A score of 10 means that a game is a fantastic example of it's genre, fun, and really pushes gaming forward (Half Life?). A lower score means that the reviewer can specify whether the game is fun but not as good as other games within the same genre, a little bit old fashioned and lacking some of the more recent innovations, just wasn't that fun to play, or a combination of the three.
  • Graphics
  • Artistic design - 1 point
  • Technical design - 1 point

A score of 10 means that the game pushes the hardware to the limit with fantastic artistic design. A lower score means that the review can specify whether the game has particular artistic merit or a lot of pretty visual effects available on the hardware.
  • Sound
  • Value
  • immediate value for money - 1 point
  • Long term appeal - 1 point

Fairly self explanitory.
  • Tilt
  • Consistency - 1 point
  • Stability - 1 point
  • Personal impressions - 1 point

This is probably the most controversial divide since what contributes towards tilt is variable. One alternative could be that tilt is not divided into sub-categories.

My terminology is merely an example. There are many factors that contribute towards good gameplay, and I would like to open up what sub-categories are used for discussion as well.

Discuss. :)

cubeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cubeman
Member since 2005 • 4274 Posts
So you want to add more categories under each category? If so than I wouldn't mind it at all. I also suggest that it would be cool if we could also add pictures as well. Like Gamespot gives us designated spots and we can choose to fill them or not.
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lilac_Benjie

So you want to add more categories under each category? If so than I wouldn't mind it at all.cubeman

Yes, but as many categories as their are points in the parent category. Each sub-category is worth one point.

Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts

[QUOTE="cubeman"]So you want to add more categories under each category? If so than I wouldn't mind it at all.Lilac_Benjie

Yes, but as many categories as their are points in the parent category. Each sub-category is worth one point.

I could see that but won't it mess things up a bit
Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts

I have an idea for Sound, the subcategories can be Soundtrack, Voice Acting, and Sound Effects.

I love your idea and I hope GameSpot picks it up. :) 

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lilac_Benjie
[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"]

[QUOTE="cubeman"]So you want to add more categories under each category? If so than I wouldn't mind it at all.nintendo_fan675

I could see that but won't it mess things up a bit

It would only mess things up if the value of each point was altered, which it will not do.Â