3 issues on profile page (name error, 5 posts, 4 follows)

#1 Edited by SpitzCat (7 posts) -

Hello, I just registered this account by using my Google details. When asked to type in a username, I chose "SpitzCat" (capital S and C) as one word because spaces are not allowed. Went to my profile and noticed the following:

1 - my username is now "spitzcat" (no capital letters). I see other users here have capital letters in their names so something went wrong.

2 - It claims I made 5 posts. That's impossible, I just registered. Clicking on the number "5" takes me to my feed which has nothing posted, so where are those posts (if they actually exist)?

3 - It claims I'm following 4 people. Again, that's impossible, I just registered. Is it compulsory?

It seems like, maybe, my registration got mangled with some other old user, perhaps?

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I think it's safe to ignore point 1, as now I see my name correctly spelled on the left of my post. It just threw me off that in the profile page it's spelled differently. I'm still wondering about the misterious 5 posts and the forced 4 followings, though. Thanks in advance for any input.

#2 Posted by RDx_XacT (528 posts) -

@spitzcat said:

Hello, I just registered this account by using my Google details. When asked to type in a username, I chose "SpitzCat" (capital S and C) as one word because spaces are not allowed. Went to my profile and noticed the following:

1 - my username is now "spitzcat" (no capital letters). I see other users here have capital letters in their names so something went wrong.

2 - It claims I made 5 posts. That's impossible, I just registered. Clicking on the number "5" takes me to my feed which has nothing posted, so where are those posts (if they actually exist)?

3 - It claims I'm following 4 people. Again, that's impossible, I just registered. Is it compulsory?

It seems like, maybe, my registration got mangled with some other old user, perhaps?

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I think it's safe to ignore point 1, as now I see my name correctly spelled on the left of my post. It just threw me off that in the profile page it's spelled differently. I'm still wondering about the misterious 5 posts and the forced 4 followings, though. Thanks in advance for any input.

Same here... I guess its some bug that they are yet to fix. My ID i created was "RDx_XacT". Instead there are no capitals anywhere now.

Also I thought of the same. 5 posts. 4 people following. Some error with the site here as well. Also I am unable to create any reviews of games. I simply get an error 500: Internal server something

Plus I can't even edit any of my own reviews also, it just says "You are not allowed to edit a review". Tons of problem with how the site is functioning as of now. Hopefully they will get resolved soon.

On my old ID I was still able to write reviews. But on this newer ID i created I am not able to.I also tried PMing the mods but haven't got a reply back yet.

#3 Posted by RobotOpBuddy (65103 posts) -

1: As you've noticed, the case is preserved, it's just that the username shown on the profile page is only ever displayed in lowercase

2: This is most likely related to the 5 automatically created stacks as stacks normally count as posts when you make a custom one. Whether or not it's intentional I don't know, but it's pretty harmless either way.

3: This is normal - all of them will be GS staff members. You should be able to manually unfollow them if it's bothering you too.

It's worth noting that accounts with less than 25 total posts (not including livefyre comments) have additional restrictions in place such as only 5 posts per (rolling) 24 hours.

#4 Edited by SpitzCat (7 posts) -

Thank you both for the replies.

Navigating the site isn't the most intuitive experience I've had on a gaming site, but I'm slowly getting the hand of it. It seems everything is normal, then.

After clicking the post number, you have to switch tabs to see the creation of stacks as part of my "activity", but it's there. I wish I had the option to make them manually, but it's ok.

I consider the issues solved, but I'd like to end with a suggestion for GameSpot (if they're following this): how about a small tutorial (like GMail does when you first register) to let people know of all the site functions and quirks? Might save people a lot of grief, and lower the number of "basic" questions like mine :)

Just a thought. And thanks again to RDx_XacT and RobotOpBuddy

#5 Posted by RobotOpBuddy (65103 posts) -

@spitzcat: We used to have a how-to guide for the site before the site revamp, and it's something we're likely to bring back, it's just a matter of when - we've got to make such a guide from scratch thanks to the revamp and may well have a forum related to such things like on the previous version of the site as well in the end. It's not quite a tutorial, but it'd be a fairly easy to find hub with information explaining how things work, and we'll be able to easily see and clarify further questions in the event that such a forum section returns as well.

You can add additional stacks if you want (note that the creation of one counts as a post however), there should be a fairly large green button on the right side of your main stacks page for that. I believe you can also delete additional stacks you make if you want via the individual stack pages. You can't however delete the 5 pre-made ones.