500 posts minimum to create new thread, please gamespot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

what i dont understand is why anyone under 500 posts has the privilege to create a thread, all new users do is spam. rules should be changed so no one under 500 posts can create a thread period. this is a simple solution to the alt account spamming occurring in sw right now

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

That's not a solution at all. Everyday a lot of new users create threads to ask about game suggestions, and problems with their games or hardware. Using even a 50 post limit will make all those new users find another site to post in..
And if you want this limit applied only in SW, it still wouldn't solve it. There's a big spam problem in all the other boards, especially GD.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts

@ghostwarrior786:

Hi there. Me and my Fellow Moderators along with Some of the Staff have been working on a solution to the spam problem and we are working hard daily to handle the spam. Please Flag ALL spam you locate to assist us :)

JP_
Mod

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ghostwarrior786

@harry_james_pot said:

That's not a solution at all. Everyday a lot of new users create threads to ask about game suggestions, and problems with their games or hardware. Using even a 50 post limit will make all those new users find another site to post in..

And if you want this limit applied only in SW, it still wouldn't solve it. There's a big spam problem in all the other boards, especially GD.

actually it is a solution, how many spamming threads do u see over at gaff? u know why that is? because juniors (members with low post count) dont have the privilege to create threads and if they have a question they want to ask then they are free to comment in a thread about that game and ask it. this should be a universal rule in the forum not just sw.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@harry_james_pot said:

actually it is a solution, how many spamming threads do u see over at gaff? u know why that is? because juniors (members with low post count) dont have the privilege to create threads and if they have a question they want to ask then they are free to comment in a thread about that game and ask it. this should be a universal rule in the forum not just sw.

Actually no it's really not a solution. It's laughable.

Who is going to join a forum where you need 1000 posts before you can create?

Nobody.

As JP said we are actually kinking round a couple of ideas one of which will be applied very soon.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ghostwarrior786

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@harry_james_pot said:

Nobody.

As JP said we are actually kinking round a couple of ideas one of which will be applied very soon.

most people dont join to create thread they just want to comment, even in sw apart from the trolls that end up having their thread locked 99% of threads are created by users who have more than 1000 posts, head over to sw now and see for urself. it is actually common in many forums to have a post limit thread creation privilege and gaff is 100 times more popular than here and they too have this system

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Nobody.

most people dont join to create thread they just want to comment, even in sw apart from the trolls that end up having their thread locked 99% of threads are created by users who have more than 1000 posts, head over to sw now and see for urself. it is actually common in many forums to have a post limit thread creation privilege and gaff is 100 times more popular than here and they too have this system

Still, 1000 posts are just crazy, it takes a long time for a user to post that amount especially if they aren't here all day.

Anyway, they just implemented a new rule to fight the spam. Check the sticky.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghostwarrior786

@harry_james_pot said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Nobody.

Still, 1000 posts are just crazy, it takes a long time for a user to post that amount especially if they aren't here all day.

Anyway, they just implemented a new rule to fight the spam. Check the sticky.

that doesnt sound like a solution at all because trolls will make multiple accounts per day. only way to stop spamming is to remove thread making privilege of users with under 500 posts. that way they cant make a thread unless they have made 500 posts. simple solution, threads made by users with under 500 posts get locked anyway so why give them the privilege in the first place

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: it's just not conducive to what this olace is to have such high requirements

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

It could cause people to keep spamming posts to up there post count quickly You might have a massive increase in one word posts.

I do think Gamespot should have a system in place that stops Spam Bots joining, like a Human Verification like on other sites.

Would it possible for 500 post limit in system wars to be hardcoded, so you cant create a thread on there with less than 500 posts even if you try?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Spammers will just start posting in legit threads where it's harder for the mods to see and remove it. Not an improvement at all in my opinion.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ghostwarrior786

@thehig1 said:

It could cause people to keep spamming posts to up there post count quickly You might have a massive increase in one word posts.

I do think Gamespot should have a system in place that stops Spam Bots joining, like a Human Verification like on other sites.

Would it possible for 500 post limit in system wars to be hardcoded, so you cant create a thread on there with less than 500 posts even if you try?

yes, plenty of forums have that rule

@korvus said:

Spammers will just start posting in legit threads where it's harder for the mods to see and remove it. Not an improvement at all in my opinion.

yes i agree that is a problem with this kind of system BUT gs should enforce harsher rules on obvious trolls like a 24 hour time out or something

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@korvus said:

yes i agree that is a problem with this kind of system BUT gs should enforce harsher rules on obvious trolls like a 24 hour time out or something

I don't think the problem is lack of punishment, especially for spammers (which is the biggest problem, I believe). The problem is that we don't have many active mods and even those who are do this on their free time from their work (you know, the one they actually get payed for doing =P) and while it's a very simple matter to look at the thread list and detect spammers it's extremely hard to keep track of spam inside legitimate threads, and mods would have to reply on spam support. During my time as a mod there were exactly 3 people who reported spam on a regular basis...3. Now compare that to the amount of people who complain about spam almost every day...

anarayan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

User Lists: 8

#15 anarayan
Member since 2004 • 351 Posts

#StupidestIdeaEver

Some people (myself included) have been here years and not accumulated 1000 posts. So you're going to deny people the ability to start threads even after 10 years in the forums?

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ghostwarrior786

@korvus said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@korvus said:

I don't think the problem is lack of punishment, especially for spammers (which is the biggest problem, I believe). The problem is that we don't have many active mods and even those who are do this on their free time from their work (you know, the one they actually get payed for doing =P) and while it's a very simple matter to look at the thread list and detect spammers it's extremely hard to keep track of spam inside legitimate threads, and mods would have to reply on spam support. During my time as a mod there were exactly 3 people who reported spam on a regular basis...3. Now compare that to the amount of people who complain about spam almost every day...

well u were a mod so would no know better than me but what do u classify as spam? is it users trolling, advertising or simply writing random words just to get the post count up

@anarayan said:

#StupidestIdeaEver

Some people (myself included) have been here years and not accumulated 1000 posts. So you're going to deny people the ability to start threads even after 10 years in the forums?

yes. how many threads have u started anyway? and 10 years on the site and only 325 posts? u are a lurker, and thats fine. 1000 posts may be a bit too much so i will change it to 500

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

what i dont understand is why anyone under 500 posts has the privilege to create a thread, all new users do is spam. rules should be changed so no one under 500 posts can create a thread period. this is a simple solution to the alt account spamming occurring in sw right now

Though I do think 500 to 1000 posts may be a little too much, I gonna agree that posting topics should be sorta of privilege.