Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 Falcon084
Member since 2009 • 8778 Posts

This could be nothing but...

You might think that the Geth being called Legion is just because of the passage in the Bible, but what if Bioware have put a hidden message behind it?

If you read the story the man called Legion heard voices (think schizophrenia) hence the word Legion for the Individual Geth. What wasn't mentioned in the game is that Legion was being controlled by evil.

By saving his Geth have we made a terrible mistake? Have we been used? Or didn't Bioware think about the hidden meaning?

What do you think?

Avatar image for Lone_Warrior_66
Lone_Warrior_66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Lone_Warrior_66
Member since 2004 • 1453 Posts

You might think that the Geth being called Legion is just because of the passage in the Bible, but what if Bioware have put a hidden message behind it?

If you read the story the man called Legion heard voices (think schizophrenia) hence the word Legion for the Individual Geth. What wasn't mentioned in the game is that Legion was being controlled by evil.

By saving his Geth have we made a terrible mistake? Have we been used? Or didn't Bioware think about the hidden meaning?

What do you think?

Falcon084
This probably just used the name with the biblical reference because it fits the character, I would worry too much about hidden meanings :P. Same reason they call it the "Lazarus" project ;).
Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Falcon084
[QUOTE="Falcon084"]

What do you think?

Lone_Warrior_66

This probably just used the name with the biblical reference because it fits the character, I would worry too much about hidden meanings :P. Same reason they call it the "Lazarus" project ;).

Lazarus of Bethany was raised from the dead by Jesus. Shep was raised from the dead by Cerberus.

firebolt53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 firebolt53
Member since 2009 • 670 Posts
Lazarus is a phrase used in general terminology to quote a rebirth. The term legion for the geth member is a direct quote, i essense stating that each individual geth is every single member of the geth in one body. No biblical meaning because lets face it a) alot of people dont believe, b) it would be selfish to incorporate one religion like that considering the vast number of religion out there
Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Falcon084

Lazarus is a phrase used in general terminology to quote a rebirth. The term legion for the geth member is a direct quote, i essense stating that each individual geth is every single member of the geth in one body. No biblical meaning because lets face it a) alot of people dont believe, b) it would be selfish to incorporate one religion like that considering the vast number of religion out therefirebolt53

It depends on who wrote it. Plus Lazarus is also in the Koran.

Cerberus is from ancient Greece theology.

Eden is a (Eden Prime) Biblical reference referring to the beginning.

Turians have been said to embrace Buhdisim.

The Collectors shout that they are our salvation from destruction in an atheist view of there being nothing after.

Shanxi is a holy place in Chinese Buhdisim.

In the Torah, Koran and Bible Shepard means the leader of a flock, with a spiritual meaning. In the game Shepard lives up to this namesake.

Gethsemane (Geth·sem·a·ne) New Testament, a garden east of Jerusalem near the foot of the Mount of Olives. It was the scene of Jesus's agony and betrayal. There is also the Holy Church of Geth.

Kaidan is a word used in reference to Edo period Nippon belief of ghosts and demons.

Benezia says, "they said there would be a light" before dying. This is a common reference to the light at the end of the tunnel phenomenon experienced by many as the die on the operation table. Some people have gained religion upon medical revival.

Ashley wonders if she'll be persecuted for believing in God. However as a contradiction you can hear in Ilium - "you humans can't even get your religions straight."

This game is rife with religious iconography.

BTW (to anyone who reads this) I just thought there could be a reason that Bioware used the terminology, don't discuss who is right or wrong here.

firebolt53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 firebolt53
Member since 2009 • 670 Posts
Im sorry but you cant quote name locations as inconography for religion, that plain bull. Yes they may be found in the bible butin the modern day they crop in a large number of places. A sheperd heards sheep, nothing specific for the bible there. I not opposed to belief however I am completely opposed to religion and I dont agree that they are referencing the inconography, more than likely its just a coincidence
Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Falcon084

Im sorry but you cant quote name locations as inconography for religion, that plain bull. Yes they may be found in the bible butin the modern day they crop in a large number of places. A sheperd heards sheep, nothing specific for the bible there. I not opposed to belief however I am completely opposed to religion and I dont agree that they are referencing the inconography, more than likely its just a coincidencefirebolt53

I agree that not everything I mentioned is supposed to have meaning. You just mentioned that it'd be selfish that only Christianity was mentioned, when its not.

The game says that the Reapers are the basis younger races belief in Demonic like beings, so religion is shoved at us from this games maker's perspective.

The Collectors say that they are trying to save us, a forced evolution to prevent us from destruction. From an atheist standpoint the Reapers might be programed to save organic life from a meaningless death.

Harbinger Quotes - "Embrace perfection."

"I am the Harbinger of your perfection."

"I am the Harbinger of your ascendance."

"Sentient beings need never fear pain."

"We are your genetic destiny."

"You do not yet comprehend your place in things."

At the end of ME2 we see the preservation of humanity oozed into its Reaper shell. I have always thought that the Reapers are from an atheist race that believes that they are saving us from death, another religion theme.

lewfa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 lewfa1
Member since 2011 • 240 Posts

Falcon, my hat's off to you. Those were amazingly well considered posts. You brought up connections I'd never considered before with lots of detailed information and gave me new things to think about.

And the award for the Mass Effect Reference Librarian goes to.................(opening envelope)..........Falcon084!!

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Falcon084

Falcon, my hat's off to you. Those were amazingly well considered posts. You brought up connections I'd never considered before with lots of detailed information and gave me new things to think about.

And the award for the Mass Effect Reference Librarian goes to.................(opening envelope)..........Falcon084!!

lewfa1
:lol: Thank you. *takes a bow*
Celesfaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Celesfaar
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
From my point of view, the game is a reflection of our reality, so maybe the creators tried to give it a sense of lots of religions still fighting to appear here and there; making its way to the heart of people. As you said, Lazarus project was Miranda's and the name Legion was suggested by EDI, both of them Cerberus, so maybe is safe to assume the illlusive Man had no trouble with human religions. Thinking a little more deep, its a galaxy named after our own ancestors, ppl that named stars after their religions and tales. ME guys had to design the "future" universe thinking on the future of not only human kind but 10 (or more) diferent species with similar evolutionary processes. They used what they had at hand and did their best; wich is very good btw. My best way to explain can come from example, if any of you have seen "Enemy mine" movie (oldie but goodie) theres a part where the alien is teaching his religion to the human, the human is just surprised how SIMILAR it was to what he knew from earth; the alien wasnt so surprised, he just said "of course, the truth is the truth". Peace
Avatar image for IndianaJones414
IndianaJones414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 IndianaJones414
Member since 2011 • 1197 Posts
I have noticed a lot about how Bioware used different terms that were used in either ancient times or biblical times for making the Mass Effect franchise.