Satanically Difficult, But Still Fun!!!!

[Sonic 2 for Game Gear]
Satanically Difficult, But Still Fun!!!!

- Comments? http://www.gamespot.com/gamegear/action/sonicthehedgehog2/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-55260418&pid=586808&tag=topics%3Btitle

- My Video Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF1A5Z-nB_8
- Game Manual: http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.7499
- Sonic 2 GG on Sonic Retro (Wiki Sonic Art, Music, History) - http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%288-bit%29

This game is really interesting, but it is satanically difficult the first time you play it. Believe me: you will die. However, when you get to really know the game, you can do it. I had this game as a kid and through hours and hours and hours of frustration, I finally learned it and was able to beat it multiple times. Nowadays, I find it to be a point of pride if I can beat the crap out of a game without ANY help from FAQs -- especially if they have the pit of Satan difficulty level of this game. And I was able to do it -- then and now. It is a truly satisfying experience if you can accomplish this. If you are looking for a challenge, this is definitely a solid title.

You can obtain it through Sonic Adventure DX for the PC / Game Cube (that's where I recently got it), through Wii Virtual Console, Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube & X-Box, or in Sonic Gems for GameCube and Playstation 2. I recommend Sonic Gems: It has Sonic CD - A true classic! It's got lots of levels of Genesis-Style sonic play with an awesome CD soundtrack! Sonic CD is regarded by many fans today as being the best of the genre.

>Bottom Line 8/10
Although the difficulty I feel will discourage many players, I feel it shines as one of the best titles available for the Game Gear.

>Graphics 9/10
Always an eye popper back in the day to show off my game gear. It is one of the best looking titles I have ever seen on the system. And every level is beautiful in it's own colorful and unique way.

>Gameplay 9/10
The controls are extremely responsive and you will defeat this game if you can learn exactly when and when not to be fast and teach yourself to navigate the obstacles. I really feel the controls are platform games at their best. I feel like after mastering this game, I can succeed at any platform.

>Music 7/10
Some of the tunes are truly decent: one of the best sounding games I have played on the game gear. However, Sonic 1 for GG had REALLY nice music. You can just feel the effort bleeding out of it. I also felt that Sonic Chaos, Triple, and Blast had inferior music to Sonic 2. It is sad to see a decline in this area.

- Sonic 1 Music: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28Game_Gear_Version%29_OSV
(Listen to Sonic 1 Labyrnth. So catchy! Scrap Brain is good too.)
- Sonic 2 Music: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%28Game_Gear_Version%29_OSV

>Difficulty 9/10
There are games that are difficult because they are broken. Sonic 2 has the feel of really being responsive and killing you when it means to. Every problem has a solution and when you get to know each boss and level, you will learn ways to accomplish your goals. This game is physically and mentally challenging. However, you really feel like you accomplished something when you have defeated it. You feel like you an conquer the world!

>Tips to Defeat this Evil Game Without Cheats
- Savor Act 1 of any level (especially aqua) - Lots of rings and sometimes free lives. Collect them !!!! to survive .......
- Focus on memorization - every boss has a pattern and every level has a way that is a good way to get through it. Once you know the game, it will become a lot easier.
- Stock up on lives in Aqua Act 1. I find this to be the easiest, fastest, and most pleasant place in the game to amass them I found Three lives in it plus you can get one by getting 100 rings while you are getting them. Then die and get them again. You really need these lives so you can practice the levels of the game to get know each level so you can beat them. Once you truly know this game, you can beat the game without using this trick.