Chapter 2 - Deathmatch
From the days of Doom, the deathmatch game mode hasnt changed a significant amount...which isnt to say it isnt as fun as ever. The weapons may change, the power-ups may change, and the maps become more refined, exciting, and often breathtaking but the core strategies for deathmatch remains essentially the same.
- Map knowledge is one of the most fundamental skills for the seasoned deathmatch gamer. Know the quickest route to your favorite weapon, health packs, or power-up. Plan a route that takes you along a path that moves through your favorite weapon, adrenaline capsules, and power-ups. In smaller "1-on-1" deathmatch maps, control certain areas of the map to keep your opponent away from particular weaponry and power-ups. In smaller games, controlling the double damage or super shield becomes extremely important. Double damage provides 30 seconds of increased damage, which can add up to a lot of kills in a small map. This section provides map strategies for all new deathmatch maps included in Unreal Tournament 2004. Check our Unreal Tournament 2003 game guide for strategies for maps included in both games.
- Practice certain movement techniques to become a more elusive deathmatch player. For example, double-tap in any direction to perform a dodge. This can be used to dodge a variety of weapons fire, such as an incoming rocket blast. Hit the jump button after a dodge to combine two moves. Perform a double-jump by pressing the jump button again at the apex of your original jump. Its also possible to dodge off of a wall. Jump against a wall and double-tap in the opposite direction to dodge off the surface. As explained in the weapons section, you can use the shield gun to gain extra height on a jump at the expense of health. Also, when riding a lift, hit the jump button at the apex to bounce off of the lift. All of these moves can help you get to particular locations quickly and easily as well as help avoid enemy fire.
- Look for opportunities to leech off of other deathmatch players success and failures. Find a group of players engaged in battle and shoot into the fray to eliminate wounded players. When you spot a player emerge victorious from a battle, engage him quickly; hes likely wounded and will fall quickly to your weapons fire. Know the battle situation in a tight game. If youre low on health and out of ammunition, its often better to run and find health or new weaponry then stand and fight an inevitable losing battle.
- Know the strengths and weaknesses of all of your weaponry. Trying to kill a player at long-range with the flak cannon simply wont work. If you happen to recover the redeemer, maximize its damage potential by launching it into a crowded room. Be clear of the blast radius! Fire the rocket launchers alternate fire mode in a tight spiral to maximize damage potential at close-range. Utilize the minigun or link guns alternate fire mode to finish off an already wounded enemy.
- Mix up your gameplay. Run around the map choosing your favorite route through weapons, adrenaline, and power-ups. Then take a few minutes to find a secluded location (preferably looking down a hall or room where you expect an opponent to frequent) and blast the foe with the lightning gun or sniper rifle. Dont go to the well too often, though; human players catch on quickly to sneaky tactics.
Albatross is an outdoor one-on-one map built around the ruins of an ancient castle or fortress. Its open paths and multi-tiered battleground allows you to keep decent tabs on your opponents whereabouts. One of its most important aspects to master on the map is to know the entrances and exits to each location. For instance, when you spot your opponent moving through the tunnel under the bio-rifle, you know hell have to either come back through the same way or use the lift at the end to the two health packs. Either way you will know his location and can use your weapons accordingly.
The bottom of Albatross is the most dangerous place to be. Its easy for an opponent to track you from the upper walkways and fire down rockets, flak, or bio-rifle goop in your path (or to track you through the entrances and exits). However, the lower area is also extremely valuable. It houses the rocket launcher in a short tunnel that connects the maps two halves. Also, across from the rocket launcher is an interior route containing health vials. Follow the vials to the end and find the super shield pack. Note that you can also grab the super shield pack from underneath. Follow the short tunnel and spot the super shield pack on the ledge to the left. Use a shield gun jump to reach the ledge. Youll lose some health but gain the shield.
The regular shield pack is found on the wooden walkways on the upper level (reach it quickly by using the lift to the right of the super shield pack entrance). Make loops around the vials to keep your health above 100 (there are plentiful vials along the maps bottom area). If youre low on health, charge to the maps other half (other side from the shield packs) to find two health packs at the top of a lift. The lightning gun is on an upper ledge to your left. You can reach it by traversing a hill around the left side or, if youre adventurous, you can use a shield jump from the lift to reach the lightning gun and this sniping perch.
After acquiring your preferred weapon (the rocket launcher being ideal), return to the upper section and hoard the shield pack. Drop down and make a loop through the vials and super shield pack on occasion and return to the upper section. Here you have cover (the large crates), a view to the levels bottom (through the open areas and even the holes in the floor), and access to the highest parts of the map. You can shield gun jump to the roof above the lightning gun for the maps ultimate sniping area. Plus, perform a shield gun jump to reach the top of structure at the end of the wooden bridge--on top youll find the double damage power-up!