Should I get this game?

#1 Posted by MultiSlayer (3 posts) -
I have done a lot of research, and I am very torn about whether I want to shell $50 on Far Cry 3 or not. So I will list what makes me want to buy and what makes me not. The Good: -I love open world games and it looks huge -The combat mechanics look solid -Graphics look amazing -The world seems to have quite a bit of depth The not so good: -I don't like the characters from what I've seen. Jason and his friends just seem like a bunch of typical frat boy/douchey/bros to me. -The sex scenes are a bit excessive -The part where you burn the weed fields with dubstep playing in the background while Jason yells stuff like "YEAH THIS IS COOL!" also seems excessive -The main story missions look too linear So overall, I like the look of the gameplay and world, but I don't think I'll like the characters or story. Should I get it or not? Does the story really matter that much?
#2 Posted by modart (86 posts) -

you should flip a coin. 

HEADS-FAR cRY

TAILS-BLACK oPS 2

#3 Posted by MultiSlayer (3 posts) -

you should flip a coin. 

HEADS-FAR cRY

TAILS-BLACK oPS 2

modart
Ew, Black Ops 2, no thanks.
#4 Posted by I_hate_haters (91 posts) -

-I don't like the characters from what I've seen. Jason and his friends just seem like a bunch of typical frat boy/douchey/bros to me.That is sort of the point. - They are supposed to be sterotypical rich kids. As the story progresses though, Jason starts to become more hardened and he seems to be a lot more mature at the end.

-The sex scenes are a bit excessive. - There is one sex scene in the whole game, and it lasts like 5 seconds. Unless you count boobs as a sex scene, where there is still very little of.

-The part where you burn the weed fields with dubstep playing in the background while Jason yells stuff like "YEAH THIS IS COOL!" also seems excessive. - Exessive how? I can see what you're saying, but to Jason it is the only "fun" he has had on the island since what happened to his friends and brothers, just like how soldiers have to enjoy the little things to keep their sanity.

-The main story missions look too linear. - This isn't an RPG. It is an open world FPS. Saying that, you can approach combat in a variety of different ways. Personally I really enjoyed the story, but it's definately not the greatest.

The game is about 38 dollars on Steam right now until tomorrow. I would say just buy it. I bought the deluxe edition for 60 and i feel that I got my money's worth.

#5 Posted by EastMagi (143 posts) -

Get it. You won't regret it.  I was in the same boat before I got the game - deciding whether I should get it or not, but I eventually did since I love Skyrim and its open world environment.  I also wasn't too crazy about the characters either at first, but once you start playing as Jason, you'll gradually see how he changes over time.  The game is really fun.  It's the only game I'm still playing aftre I beat the final boss. Hunting wild animals is a lot of fun too.

#6 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (566 posts) -

Get it. In a disappointing year of games (2012), I feel this was the best game of the year. If you liked Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption and the Uncharted series, you'll like it. The story/acting are great. The world is huge and fun to explore. There's tons of side quests and stuff to do, and the main story is quite long compared to most games.

I kinda feel like this is Uncharted on steroids... way longer than your standard Uncharted game, the same great adventure story type atmosphere, but with RPG elements and a big open world.

The only gripe I have about the game is that it can be kinda frustrating at times. Some missions it's like 10 minutes of crazy action between save points and when you get killed and have to go through it all again a couple times it can be very maddening, at least IMO.

I would put this just into my top 5 all-time PS3 games:

1. Red Dead Redemption

2. Dark Souls

3. Portal 2

4. Skyrim

5. Far Cry 3

#7 Posted by Enundr (105 posts) -

all i can say is , the single player is great , its a good reason to get it.....but for the love of all that is sanity DO NOT GET IT FOR MULTIPLAYER.....you willl end up bashing your head in the wall for the horrible amount of host migrations , bad connections , and ppl not even visible . no dedicated server i guess is best for the players according to an article here on gamespot XD  but yea id recomend it for the campaign though , it is awesome and as someone else said , you can approach combat in different ways , and it makes it interesting imo.

#8 Posted by Wolf-Man2006 (4187 posts) -

If you're worried about the plot and characters, this article should shed some light, just look out for the SPOILERS if you don't want the plot spoiled

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/double-talk-far-cry-3s-lead-writer-explains-the-deceptive-nature-of-th