Red Dead in the Jungle!

#1 Posted by ThanxAlotOcelot (39 posts) -

And I'm lovin it! Any other players feeling like Mr. Marston lives? :) :)

#2 Posted by ronaldmcreagan (244 posts) -

Unlike Red Dead Redemption, in Far Cry 3 you get more than just a pistol and a shotgun.

It is the lack on weaponry that made Red Ded Redemption such a boring game.

At least in Far Cry 3, you get tons of guns.

#3 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18415 posts) -
The game doesn't feel anything like Red Dead.. not sure why you think it does but hey, as long as your enjoying the game.
#4 Posted by ronaldmcreagan (244 posts) -
There are some similarities between Far Cry 3 and Red Dead Redemption. Both are open world. Both have hunting/skinning. Both have flowers/herbs to collect. Both have bad guys to shoot.
#5 Posted by ThanxAlotOcelot (39 posts) -

The game doesn't feel anything like Red Dead.. not sure why you think it does but hey, as long as your enjoying the game.

Lol you must be trolling me bud :)

-Mapping is the same (plants animals places shown) areas unlock after missions

-Hunting (along with the skinning animation) identical

-Predators attacks in the middle of battle

-Vast world

-Great chars

-and one FC3 advertisment compares it to Red dead as well,

also (may be spoilers)

-racing is identical including smoke signals

- a certain drugged up doctor that resides on a hill seems very familliar

-wanted signs/wanted mechanics are identical

#6 Posted by ThanxAlotOcelot (39 posts) -

Unlike Red Dead Redemption, in Far Cry 3 you get more than just a pistol and a shotgun.

It is the lack on weaponry that made Red Ded Redemption such a boring game.

At least in Far Cry 3, you get tons of guns.

ronaldmcreagan

Agree 100% we'll see how it plays out against the 2010 game of the year, but so far ( imo ) CR3 is more fun than red dead.

#7 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18415 posts) -

Lol you must be trolling me bud :)

-Mapping is the same (plants animals places shown) areas unlock after missions

-Hunting (along with the skinning animation) identical

-Predators attacks in the middle of battle

-Vast world

-Great chars

-and one FC3 advertisment compares it to Red dead as well, so hmmmm lol

also (may be spoilers)

-racing is identical including smoke signals

- a certain drugged up doctor that resides on a hill seems very familliar

-wanted signs/wanted mechanics are identical

ThanxAlotOcelot
I wasn't trolling you mate, but you do make some great points. It's been a loooong time since I played Red Dead.. forgot most of those things. Guess your right, it does have a lot of similarities.
#8 Posted by ThanxAlotOcelot (39 posts) -

I wasn't trolling you mate, but you do make some great points. It's been a loooong time since I played Red Dead.. forgot most of those things. Guess your right, it does have a lot of similarities.

All good mang :)

Red dead is in my top 3, but like Ronny said, more guns, more action, and it's interesting that you have to look for plants/animals to survive the game. Very Morrowindish as well. There's ALOT of rpg elements here that enhance this title, set it aside from the rest of the generic competition. Damn, I'll call it right now... GOTY :P lol (fanboy alert)

#9 Posted by SythisTaru (567 posts) -

I agree with this, but I'm pretty sure Red Dead has more guns total.

#10 Posted by PetJel (3724 posts) -

I agree with this, but I'm pretty sure Red Dead has more guns total.

SythisTaru

Far Cry 3 has [spoiler] 35 weapons afaik however this does include grenades, the repair tool, mounted guns and signature weapons. There might be even more since I'm unsure if I've unlocked all signature weapons already. If you look at unique, equippable weapons not counting grenades and such there are 20 total. RDR has 22 weapons excluding grenades etc. [/spoiler]

#11 Posted by wwefan4ever (624 posts) -

This game is set in modern times, Red Dead Redemption took place is set in 1911. Weapon choice is much larger now then back then. Pistols, rifles, and shotguns were the weapons most used then, you didn't see machine guns, or explosive tipped arrows. Bow and arrows in general were not a common coybow weapon, that was Native Americans. I also fail to see how the number of weapons had anything to do with how fun Red Dead Redemption was.

#12 Posted by ThanxAlotOcelot (39 posts) -

Well there were no alligators in Red Dead as well. Or Zip lines, hell, I could go on all day about the differences, but the thread topic deals with what common traits these two games share. :)

#13 Posted by ps4please (2 posts) -

I think I enjoy the 3rd person perspective of RDR better. It definitely allows the player to see more of the "world" that way. First person is easier in regards to controls IMO. Both fantastic games though.

#14 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
lol what