I loved Far Cry 2. Will I like this game?

#1 Posted by Sigil77 (300 posts) -

I'm hesitating to buy this game. Although I loved Far Cry 2 despite ALL of its shortcomings (yes, ALL, including the guards that respawned every 5 minutes in checkpoints), I feel Far Cry 3 is too different. From what I've seen in gameplay videos and trailers, I dislike FC 3's island-jungle setting. It feels like a downgrade from Far Cry 2's empty albeit varied african landscapes. The setting is what bothers me the most. Other than that, I would like to ask some questions. 

How much weapon variety does this game has? How deep is the customization system for this game?

Is the crafting system any good? Does it become useless at some point? 

In comparison to Far Cry 2's map, how is Far Cry 3's map? Smaller? Bigger?

Is there more variety in vehicles this time? Boats? Cars? 

Are weapons still prone to decay and jamming after time, like in Far Cry 2? 

How much is there to do in this game? Are side missions worth it, or just repetitive?

I would really like to have these questions answered. Please, be honest. Thank you for your time.

#2 Posted by stellarshow (27 posts) -

I'm hesitating to buy this game. Although I loved Far Cry 2 despite ALL of its shortcomings (yes, ALL, including the guards that respawned every 5 minutes in checkpoints), I feel Far Cry 3 is too different. From what I've seen in gameplay videos and trailers, I dislike FC 3's island-jungle setting. It feels like a downgrade from Far Cry 2's empty albeit varied african landscapes. The setting is what bothers me the most. Other than that, I would like to ask some questions. 

How much weapon variety does this game has? How deep is the customization system for this game?

Is the crafting system any good? Does it become useless at some point? 

In comparison to Far Cry 2's map, how is Far Cry 3's map? Smaller? Bigger?

Is there more variety in vehicles this time? Boats? Cars? 

Are weapons still prone to decay and jamming after time, like in Far Cry 2? 

How much is there to do in this game? Are side missions worth it, or just repetitive?

I would really like to have these questions answered. Please, be honest. Thank you for your time.

Sigil77

I find it very similar to FC2 but with improvements such as taking over enemy bases and then being able to fast travel to them.

To answer your questions;

Lots of weapons to use and customize, I have not even tried half of them yet.

I like the crafting system.  You need to hunt down specific plants and animals to craft medicine, bigger holsters to carry more weapons, bigger pouches to carry more grenades etc.

I have only got through half the map so far but it is huge.  Don't think you could complain about its size.

I think there are only 13 ways to travel, be it car, boat etc.  Much the same types as in FC2.

Weapons can be used and do not wear out...this I liked in FC2 as it made things interesting in a big battle with the enemy...would have liked for them to leave this.

Lots to do...story missions, collecting plants and animals, looking for the 3 types of collectables, freeing bases, opening up radio towers, side missions like delivering supplies, hunting outlaws, etc, side side missions like poker, sniper challenges, etc...all in all, lots.

#3 Posted by Billy_Chile (29 posts) -

Just as stellar said, it's a lot like FC2 but upgraded. Regarding the setting being a downgrade i dont really get how it could be. It looks pretty good IMO especially taking a dive hunting sharks looks sweeeet and it's quite a rush lol... It's not ALL that different but im glad they fixed the downsides from FC2. I think you might like it as well... Enjoy.

#4 Posted by recon2246 (9 posts) -
The only real downside is the online multi player system. it takes forever to find a match and getting your maps to be played is probably the biggest problem of it all.
#5 Posted by mwamba1 (91 posts) -

I was also a big fan of far cry 2. despite the flaws, there was a good game hidden in there. I wouldn't hesitate to to recommend it to you. definately game of the year in my book.

The only thing, i felt was downgraded in far cry 3 was the ability to look at your map while in the game. constantly having to pause the game disrupts the immersion. also, night time lasts about 5 minutes??? I enjoy using silenced weapons and sneaking about at night but its near impossible to do that in this game. if it wasnt for those 2 things i'd give this game a 10 but as it is, its 9/10. I really hop they patch that. I also feel that they could have re-visited the african setting but the tropical jungle works just as well. oh yeah and also I miss the tension from far cry 2 of sneaking into an enemy base without a radar....it was epic, but don't get me wrong, the whole tagging enemies system in far cry 3 still has a good amount of tension, but I think it should have been an option. (i'm not sure if you can turn the radar off but apparently you can on PC). I was sad to see some of the good things from far cry 2 go but the good thing is the new things still work well with the game. Also theres way more to do. way more vehicles, stuff to hunt, side missions, exploring etc.

#6 Posted by couly (5823 posts) -
If you liked FC2 you will absolutely adore FC3.