How important is hunting and crafting?

#1 Posted by mufaa (957 posts) -

In RPGs, I usually avoid hunting, alchemy, or crafting. It's a tedious thing for me to do in a video game, so I leave it alone.

RPGs don't necessarily require those skills too much so I am always fine. However, from the online videos that I have watched, it seems they are pretty important in FC3. But are they? Can anyone give me an insight into how important it is, and will I HAVE to do them in order to get better upgrades/skills?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by AlucardZ909 (325 posts) -
They're pretty important. You don't have an unlimited storage capacity in this game, nor are you able to carry items in stacks let alone more than 1 gun at a time until you begin crafting appropriate gear. Things like wallets, rucksacks, holsters, quivers e.t.c will need to be crafted and to do that you're gonna have to hunt many of the wildlife that's out there on the island. The saving grace is items crafted are instant and once crafted you don't have to equip or anything of the sort. I thought it was bothersome at first, especially with cash and with my inventory constantly being full from plants, animal hides and misc. items from dead pirates but once you get into the crafting it got better. Now I can hold $10,000 in my wallet, highest I've gotten to was $2,000 before I was buying ammo or getting gun upgrades, and my inventory can hold up to 68 items.
#3 Posted by mufaa (957 posts) -

Hey thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I don't like in video games. It's so tedious with all this realism. But i will give it a shot. Might rent it first.

Thanks!

#4 Posted by squidbilly22 (115 posts) -
Hunting and crafting is necessary ....you need 2 skins of different types of animals to increase everything practically, weapons ,ammo capacity/grenades/arrows/syringes/ect ect.. ..oh yah health is just hold Y or use a syringe via crafting from plants located everywhere ......sounds like Skyrim don't it.....no crafting tools required though for either....Boars are hard to find,pigs everywhere but no boars ? you need boars for ammo capacity Im still looking for the mythical boar...lol......games a blast though ..i got the flamethrower already,let it burn.
#6 Posted by squidbilly22 (115 posts) -
found the wild boars finally !..... the game tricks u in the beginning with a mission hunting boars were pigs r located so naturally i figure same species same area right ? " wrong !,,so traveling south i finally find the mythical Wild Boar region with big tusks and pointing left ....i kick myself after hunting pig zones for about 2 hrs getting shot by pirates constantly...lol..oh well had fun doing it games a blast driving really fast , recommend drop zone missions if your a good driver easy money.i never lose...
#7 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -
Eh crafting in this game is really not in depth. See a green icon on the map? Grab that plant and with 1 click you turn in into medicine. Storage upgrades cost 2 hides, so just look on your map, go kill said animal twice and 1 click grants you a new backback. It's really not a struggle in this game.
#8 Posted by mufaa (957 posts) -

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I got the game from a friend to try for a day or two. I am going to buy it.

My main fear was a complicated crafting system - but it is not so, which is awesome. It's basically a get-this-to-make-this kind of thing, where if you need more holster slots, you just don't buying them, you make them by killing animals. Finding animals, or plants for medicine, might prove to be difficult and result in a lot of searching around the map, but that's what makes Far Cry 3 the game it is. I have not felt so deeply connected to a game before.

What a game, and I have no worries over the crafting system!

#9 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
I found a rugged wallet on a dead body... so not everything needs crafting.
#10 Posted by blakeney (1177 posts) -

I found a rugged wallet on a dead body... so not everything needs crafting.edwardecl

Nice i was just starting to get bored of the "generic crap to sell" you loot off people, now i will be fingers crossed everytime for a "useful" item! ;)

#11 Posted by FlankerDFMax (1777 posts) -

It's so tedious with all this realism. mufaa

I've notified the Devs, on your behalf, they are to under no cirumstances let realism afflict any of their future efforts!

Where's the toilet?! I gotta go to the bathroom *&%^$#*!! :lol:

Sorry! Couldn't help myself!

#12 Posted by wwefan4ever (624 posts) -

Hey thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I don't like in video games. It's so tedious with all this realism. But i will give it a shot. Might rent it first.

Thanks!

mufaa

Yes, because heaven forbid you actully have to work for something.