Good so far

#1 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

I got my copy of the "Insane Edition" of Far Cry 3 earlier (pre-order which arrived a day early suprisingly for Amazon), not really had chance to play much of it, but from what I have played it's been a fairly mixed bag for me (although I am sure being highly critical maybe simply down to not yet being accustomed to the controls/etc), on the one hand the story, and voice acting is really good, and the graphics look amazing, but on the other even on the easiest difficulty I've died a number of times and am finding it a little off-putting that outside of the friendly villages that you (seemingly) can't holster your weapon. Overall though think I'll enjoy it more once I get used to it (as is always the way), but will say this, that for those that have played previous games in the series you'll definately like this and find it to be a must buy).

8.5/10

Not game review related, just seeking advice: I am somhow afflicted with the game playing in widescreen (I have a large black border above and below the game screen, yet when I go into my PSN menu it's full screen). Are others who have the game early also experiencing this?

Also how do you access the items that come free with the game, only found the extra Lost Expedition mission and nothing else seems accessible.

#2 Posted by papapischu (417 posts) -

I got my copy of the "Insane Edition" of Far Cry 3 earlier (pre-order which arrived a day early suprisingly for Amazon), not really had chance to play much of it, but from what I have played it's been a fairly mixed bag for me (although I am sure being highly critical maybe simply down to not yet being accustomed to the controls/etc), on the one hand the story, and voice acting is really good, and the graphics look amazing, but on the other even on the easiest difficulty I've died a number of times and am finding it a little off-putting that outside of the friendly villages that you (seemingly) can't holster your weapon. Overall though think I'll enjoy it more once I get used to it (as is always the way), but will say this, that for those that have played previous games in the series you'll definately like this and find it to be a must buy).

8.5/10

Not game review related, just seeking advice: I am somhow afflicted with the game playing in widescreen (I have a large black border above and below the game screen, yet when I go into my PSN menu it's full screen). Are others who have the game early also experiencing this?

Also how do you access the items that come free with the game, only found the extra Lost Expedition mission and nothing else seems accessible.

OmenUK

you dies a lot? personally i think this is one of the easiest games i've played in a while (medium settings). the outposts are easy if you are sneaky and the enemies die fast.

#3 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

Like I said I'll get used to it.  Just tried a bit of the co-op online but two people quit and two out of four players trying to complete it was never going to work, like the multiplayer too, interesting idea at the end at how you actually see the three top players on the winning side, and the top player from the losing side.

Are you on PS3, and if so are you getting a black border at the top and bottom of the picture like it is in widescreen, just i've done everything i can and it's still like that (and yet the far cry 3 log when it first starts to load  is bottom of the screen.

#4 Posted by papapischu (417 posts) -

no, I'm on PC.

#5 Posted by Simplythebest12 (25 posts) -

The game is an improvement from Farcry 2 and definitely way better from that generic fps Black OPS 2.

But still from what i played so far i would not give it a 9.0 score. An 8,0 or 8.5 maybe but not 9.0 (as it was scored by some review sites)

I play this at the Warrior difficulty level (Hard) and i find it fairly easy but i use stealth most of the time

#6 Posted by wilmark12 (1 posts) -

Very dissapointing was hoping that it could reignite the flame of FarCry (1) and Crysis (1). The both sequel were a step backward. FPS need fast action, these newer games concetrate too much on the storyline and making the game dificult to play. I played 15 minutes escaping from the camp - and watching my brother die, how uttlerly boring. I could not figure out how to defeat the knife man the jumped down the cliff, I quit the game looking for help. When i got back in the game was lost and it started out again with the "my F&^%$% brother got his pilot license..." GARBAGE - Im not playing it.

#7 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

Very dissapointing was hoping that it could reignite the flame of FarCry (1) and Crysis (1). The both sequel were a step backward. FPS need fast action, these newer games concetrate too much on the storyline and making the game dificult to play. I played 15 minutes escaping from the camp - and watching my brother die, how uttlerly boring. I could not figure out how to defeat the knife man the jumped down the cliff, I quit the game looking for help. When i got back in the game was lost and it started out again with the "my F&^%$% brother got his pilot license..." GARBAGE - Im not playing it.

wilmark12
LOL gj judging a game on the tutorial. I bet you will hate a LOT of games.
#8 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

I am still dying alot playing this on the easiest difficulty (although to be fair it's maninly because of wild animals, apparently shouting bad kitty at a leopard doesn't work as well as I'd have liked).

That being said though I am actually enjoying it despite all my failings at playing it, I just need to adapt and get used to the controls still but have had less time to play it then I'd antisipated.  Not sure why some are being overly critical of the game as there is that much content in game to keep you busy you can't really play the first hour and decide that's an accurate representation of the entire game. 

#9 Posted by NerdyChick20 (2 posts) -
Im new to the Far Cry 3, I've been playing it on my cousins Xbox and Im dying every-time I play but i'll get better I love this game.
#10 Posted by billlabowski (479 posts) -

Playing on the hardest difficulty settings, I've played the game halfway through last week then started over in the middle. I can't play this game for a couple of hours and then decide to throw out a "review score". I hope you never get into video game journalism.