Fallout 3 GOTY edition on steam and windows 7?

#1 Posted by telecaster2514 (1 posts) -
i'm looking to get this game off steam and it said that fallout 3 is not optimized for windows 7? does that mean its going to be laggy and hard to play? i'm stuck between this and KOTOR id love Fallout but don't wanna waste my money on a game that wont play well. i got a Toshiba satalite that's about 1.5 years old but runs skyrim
#2 Posted by williebazerka (305 posts) -
I have Fallout 3 GOTY edition.It ran on my laptop with Vista 32 bit.When I got a new laptop with Windows 7 it would crash and wouldn't work.Long story short I added a line in the ini file (I think that's what it's called) and haven't had a problem running it at all after hundreds of hours.Game runs perfect now.If you buy the game Isend me a message and I'll give you the info for the fix.I'm not really computer literate so I'm not sure of the right names.Some people had no problem running it on W7.
#3 Posted by Torino818 (149 posts) -

williebzaerka is right. In order to play this game you have to modify one line in the FALLOUT.ini file.  This file should be located in C:\Users\COMPUTERNAME\Documents\My Games\Fallout3.

Find the line bUseThreadedAI=0 and change it to bUseThreadedAI=1

You will also need to add in an additional line of code after this one called: iNumHWThreads=2

This will limit the game to 2 cores and SHOULD prevent freezing/crashing.

If this doesn't work let me know and I'll do some more research.

#4 Posted by totalrocker520 (1 posts) -
I have the same problem. However, I've changed the "bUseThreadedAI=0" to "bUseThreadedAI=1" and added the line "iNumHWThreads=2" and it still crashes on me when I enter the game. I have the steam version. Everyone says it works, but it doesn't for me?
#5 Posted by Maximus1995 (1 posts) -
I have changed those settings in the .ini file but as soon as I say new game it, says Fallout3 has stopped working ? Please help I have a Lenovo IdeaPad G570 laptop with intel core i5 processor, and I really want this game to work, any other ideas ?
#6 Posted by echo_e75 (1 posts) -
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm in the same situation you were or still are.
#7 Posted by ChexTexMix (1 posts) -
hey i got a computer win7 32-bit and Fallout 3 GOTY edition on steam and I think you said you had the same problem and you fixed it. Can you tell me how you fixed it cause im having a problem trying to play it cause everytime i press play on the menu it would crash so if you would please help me ill very much appreciate it
#8 Posted by aden328 (1 posts) -
Mine does the same thing. do you have any other ideas on how we could fix it?? ive already tied the threads but they stillwill not work
#9 Posted by Torino818 (149 posts) -

Sorry for taking so long but I've found another probable solution. You need to run the game as an administrator (right click) and some sound cards can cause crashing so disable those.  Also make sure Fallout 3 is fully updated and then change the code lines I listed above.

#10 Posted by DGWTF (2 posts) -
My fallout game won't start and doesn't save graphic options.
#11 Posted by Everett69 (1 posts) -
Can I possibly get that code. I really want to play Fallout 3 and I'm stuck on the console version until my PC version is fixed.That 's where you come in.