EverQuest 2 is an addicting and fantastic romp!

User Rating: 7.8 | EverQuest II (With Kingdom of the Sky Bundle) PC
Okay, I have to admit that I wasn't an EQ fan from the get go. When I first got the first EQ, I didn't like it very much. The graphics weren't that impressive to me, although the smooth transitions between worlds and the easy trading and merchant system made me smile. I thought, if they ever made this game with better graphics, I'd pick it up for sure. Well, unless you've been living in a cave for the past two years, EQ 2 is out in stores ( and with an expansion to boot! ) and it is better than EVER!

The sequel to EQ 1 has so many advantages over its predecessor, I don't even know how to begin. First off, in the Graphics Quality area, this game has it ALL. Whenever I log on to EQ2, I really feel like I'm there. The houses, monuments, NPC's, creatures, etc. they all look very realistic...stylized maybe...but still realistic within the look of the world itself. No doubt, EQ has always had its own style of realism ( what game doesn't? ) and this game shows its strength and never lets up. As far as Ease of Control is concerned, it takes a couple of tries to get used to what all of your hotkeys are for and how to evade an attack, dodge ( which I have still not been able to do ) and call for help ( if you need it ). The only complaint I have in this category...although it is also a compliment...is that you only get FOUR slots to store your inventory in. Now, you can purchase bags to hold items in, which you can later equip to your person. But, still, there are only four slots and you will be surprised at how quickly those slots can fill up when you're fighting baddies. Now onto Server Performance.

EverQuest 2 is one game that I have only experienced connectivity issues maybe once or twice since I got it a year ago. These issues were mostly on my end ( My cat pushed the surge protector's power button ) or their server was experiencing a normal spike in bandwidth usage. My advice is, if you're playing this game for the first time, make sure to choose a server with low-medium population. This way, you'll always have a smooth experience and you won't have to worry about lag. This is also one of the only Online games that I've played where I can be in a Town Square meeting of more than 20 Players ( real people ) and it won't lag! Okay, now onto Quests and Levelling Up.

EverQuest 2 has one of the absolute BEST levelling up and Quests systems around. It is SO easy to find a Quest! Just look for an NPC with an Exclamation Point or Scroll with a feather and hail them. The NPC takes it from there. I am also VERY impressed and LOVE their waypoints ( in case you don't know what these are, they are pre-recorded points on the global or local map where the game can direct you ). Another extremely helpful service provided to the gamer is the /find command. Anytime you're looking for an NPC and you're stuck, just go up to ANY guard within the city and type /find John Doe. The Guard will happily point in the direction and you'll be guided to your "waypoint" by a glowing golden trail that never fades away until you find your guy/gal. Now on to Features.

EQ 2 has no end of Features. From skills to be learned, trades to choose from and houses that you can actually live in ( virtually that is ), this game has it all! EverQuest 2 is SO big, in fact, that they often have real-world conventions where players can meet themselves! I've spoken to some people in the game who have been to some of these conventions and they tell me that you actually have to /hail some of the "NPC'S" that work at the conventions and you can get "Quests". I would LOVE to go to one of these!

Overall, I give EverQuest 2 a 9 out of 10!