A completely awesome, original game (yes I said it.. game).

User Rating: 9 | Electroplankton DS
Electroplankton is totally different from anything you've ever played before. When I first took the game out of my UPS package, it reminded me more of a CD than a game, with a tracklist of plankton on the back and the artist's name on the front. Combine that with a shiny foil-like blue front and I couldn't be more excited to check out what the game would actually play like.

I spent about 20 minutes on each plankton to start, some I liked much more than others. If you turn the lights off and sit and listen with headphones on, you're going to get a really great experience. For people who are not musically inclined, playing with electroplankton will start off a bit random and may not provide some people the fun-factor that a traditional game may provide.

For people who are musically inclined, this is your DS dream come true. Layering harmonies correctly can sometimes create an almost utopian atmosphere of sound at times, and the visuals are really beautiful to watch.

I can definetly see a group of friends hanging out and passing around the DS to create a fun musical atmosphere to experience.

For people who mock video games, and think they're childish or not what older people should be playing, this game WILL make them think otherwise. I can see myself showing this game off to people who I would never show Call of Duty to - my parents, girlfriend, non-gamer friends, to name a few.

Electroplankton is not a game that goes from begininng to end. It's a game that lays it all out there right away. The best way I can explain it is that it turns the DS into a futuristic musical toy. The way that you interact with the plankton to create music is pure genius.

That being said, there are a few thing that could have been expanded to make the game better. I was dissapointed at the lack of quality in the sound recordings for the plankton that let you record your own samples. I thought the DS would be capable of handling better quality audio recording than low-bitrate samples of my voice. It sounds fine on the DS speakers, but on headphones or external speakers its pretty bad.

Nintendo should be commended for making an effort to release games such as these. Yes, not all people are going to like them. Yes, they might not sell as well as sequals to a Tom Clancey game. But they are completely unique, and make you think about video games differently. This is the direction games should be headed, let's hope we see more of this innovation.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to playing with my plankton.