this is a bad idea...

#1 Posted by kppgno (265 posts) -

Alright, as much as I love the idea of this game. I'm super excited to play with Eve players.

But it won't last long. Not on a console. As much as I would love to see this game succeed. I feel like it will suffer the same result as MAG did... no more player base, laggy servers.. the dev's stopped caring.

What the dev's should have done was design this game for PC for a number of reasons.

1. Higher player base.

2. Cooperation (Seriously, you can't expect console players to cooperate together)

3. Community and communication is easier (keyboard and mouse...?) not all players want to type with a controller or own microprohnes

4. A higher player cap? (it's at 24 vs 24 now) the sound of dust "514" made me belive that the cap was going to be 514

5. Better graphics (this isn't a big deal for me, but for console players they will not touch this game because of the graphics)

I hope i'm wrong. but I doubt it.

#2 Posted by Rakshee (112 posts) -
Those are pretty valid points, but Iunno. MAG is still playable and has wide enough of a playerbase to enjoy the game. But you're right, it may flop. Guess we just have to have faith. The good news though is that it won't cost us, so honestly, what's to lose other than time. And most of us gamers tend to have too much of that. :)
#3 Posted by Zoomer30 (4349 posts) -

Few people have the cash to have a PC that can run EVE, perhaps they wanna give some mere mortals some love also.

#4 Posted by smitherean (218 posts) -

Sony is willing to pay through the nose for exlusives - how else do you think classics like Uncharted and Heavy Rain haven't gone multiplatform yet?

#5 Posted by apocalyps382 (33 posts) -

Sony is willing to pay through the nose for exlusives - how else do you think classics like Uncharted and Heavy Rain haven't gone multiplatform yet?

smitherean
How come Halo hasn't gone multiplatform yet? I'm just saying Sony isn't the only one who would put money to own property like Uncharted and Heavy Rain.
#6 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

smitherean
Not sure if trolling about Uncharted and Heavy RAIN.
#7 Posted by Smittyco1 (1 posts) -
yeah they both have the money, but dust 514 was going to be on ps3 and xbox 360. But microsoft is focused on nothing but money, and wouldnt let dust come out for free (and they want to charge them for every update). Microsofts greed screwed them out of a great game
#8 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -
yeah they both have the money, but dust 514 was going to be on ps3 and xbox 360. But microsoft is focused on nothing but money, and wouldnt let dust come out for free (and they want to charge them for every update). Microsofts greed screwed them out of a great gameSmittyco1
I think MS also has a policy of not letting cross compatibility of their online games which for a game like this is really what you want.
#9 Posted by suntzu27 (184 posts) -

The 5 things listed in OP I don't understand. They sound like all console stereotypes from the 90s.

1. Higher player base...Its a F2P game thats not even out yet.

2. Cooperation mostly detemined by the players little bit by designers. You can't force someone to "play right" or even fair/nice. Most game have command waypoints etc that make doing "teamwork" alot easier then jawing on a mic for me at least. 

3. Communication issues which is pretty much null and void nowadays with Mics/vents and still yes texts.

4. Higher player count - MAGs 256 player games pretty much sucked and turned in a spawn/zerg/camp feast(See No.2)

5.Again Assuming all console owners are mostly graphics whores which they are :)  but that only draws you to a game and can't make you stay if the gameplay sucks big gorilla turds.

#10 Posted by scouttrooperbob (2439 posts) -

Alright, as much as I love the idea of this game. I'm super excited to play with Eve players.

But it won't last long. Not on a console. As much as I would love to see this game succeed. I feel like it will suffer the same result as MAG did... no more player base, laggy servers.. the dev's stopped caring.

What the dev's should have done was design this game for PC for a number of reasons.

1. Higher player base.

2. Cooperation (Seriously, you can't expect console players to cooperate together)

3. Community and communication is easier (keyboard and mouse...?) not all players want to type with a controller or own microprohnes

4. A higher player cap? (it's at 24 vs 24 now) the sound of dust "514" made me belive that the cap was going to be 514

5. Better graphics (this isn't a big deal for me, but for console players they will not touch this game because of the graphics)

kppgno

Well you didnt just generalize every console gamer with a ps3 :P.

Mag is not dead, infact I bought it again a couple days ago. Teamwork is no  better on pc than on consoles, if anything playing on a console makes it easyer to communicate, The only problem i see with the game is its an MMO. Which means it will reap all of the benefits of an MMO, and suffer all the troubles of an MMO. These games seem to work well on the ps3 though. Look at the success of warhawk, mag and starhawk.

#11 Posted by scouttrooperbob (2439 posts) -

1. Higher player base.

kppgno

Well you didnt just generalize every console gamer with a ps3 :P.

Mag is not dead, infact I bought it again a couple days ago. Teamwork is no  better on pc than on consoles, if anything playing on a console makes it easyer to communicate, The only problem i see with the game is its an MMO. Which means it will reap all of the benefits of an MMO, and suffer all the troubles of an MMO. These games seem to work well on the ps3 though. Look at the success of warhawk, mag and starhawk.

#12 Posted by TheLamaKnows (47 posts) -
I play Eve. The biggest disparity I see is that Eve's player base tends to be long term and fairly serious about this one game. The nature of FPS and console play in general doesn't lend itself to long term players. The FPS player base runs younger as well, which may raise it's own issues. Lastly, the issue of actual loss is going to be a bitter pill for casual gamers to swallow. But it is absolutely at the core of Eve- that losing isn't free in our world. There is no respawn with all your stuff intact after losing a fight in Eve- loss is real and one mistake can cost you dearly. We have no levels, and no barrier between total newb and stone cold killer. Eve doesn't hold anyone's hand, and the devs won't coddle newbs who get slaughtered by veteran players. Can the FPS and console crowd get behind this 'real' of a game world? Eve isn't 'fair' - and those that come to Eve and stay, tend to revel in this very fact, usually by way of blowing up hapless victims with glee. In New Eden, we shoot tourists.
#13 Posted by 330566 (8 posts) -

I play Eve. The biggest disparity I see is that Eve's player base tends to be long term and fairly serious about this one game. The nature of FPS and console play in general doesn't lend itself to long term players. The FPS player base runs younger as well, which may raise it's own issues. Lastly, the issue of actual loss is going to be a bitter pill for casual gamers to swallow. But it is absolutely at the core of Eve- that losing isn't free in our world. There is no respawn with all your stuff intact after losing a fight in Eve- loss is real and one mistake can cost you dearly. We have no levels, and no barrier between total newb and stone cold killer. Eve doesn't hold anyone's hand, and the devs won't coddle newbs who get slaughtered by veteran players. Can the FPS and console crowd get behind this 'real' of a game world? Eve isn't 'fair' - and those that come to Eve and stay, tend to revel in this very fact, usually by way of blowing up hapless victims with glee. In New Eden, we shoot tourists.TheLamaKnows

Having never played EVE myself I really cannot say I have a full understanding of it, but I have read up a bit because I like back story and the 'real' aspects. I have played a few MMO's but I am in sore need of a new comp as my current one just wont cut it.

Now I am not one who plays FPS online ever. I generally just play through the campaign. I prefer a good story that invests me in my actions. But Dust is actually drawing me in and giving me a reason to shoot said tourists in the face. Plus with the nature of Dust to push it to be a more long term play experience we can hope it will lead to a more mature player base.

I am not going to sit here and proclaim that I will be hard core or anything, but it seems interesting enough for me to give it a fair shot and I cannot wait to see what else is in store for the full release!

#14 Posted by jay_soft (1 posts) -
So my 5 cents worth I haven't played Eve, but I like the idea of MMOs and only steer clear as I know I'll get sucked in and play too much. I also like FPS, especially online play and invested over 150hrs in MAG. I was part of a clan and played online with that group a lot. One of the issues with MAG was that the devs stopped working on it and refining it, but as far as I see that was for a couple of reasons 1. They had to develop SOCOM 4 2. They got closed by Sony in March this year. It sounds like Dust will be a fairly significant part of play in Eve, so hopefully CCP will invest a reasonable amount of time refining it. Plus they're less likely to get distracted by something else all they have is Eve and Dust. The clan I used to play with don't really play MAG any more, but they're active across a range of games and a fair few of them are playing the DUST beta. For membership of the group on their forums and in games, you have to by 18, and have a mic, and most of the clan in their 20s and 30s. Teamwork is key which is why we were successful ( we used to have clan battles even though the game didn't support it, using the clan deploy and PS3 chat rooms you could time your deploy to play each other) I also played MAG a lot less than most of them. So as long as Dust offers benefits for long term players, and makes it competitive for them, they'll play. Sure they'd prefer great graphics, but MAG graphics were never amazing, even when it came out and we played it. Yes there were some boring 256 player matches in MAG, but I also had some awesome ones as well.