Where can I get new skills from?

#1 Posted by lotny (14 posts) -
Hey. I'm lvl 40 already and I was wondering when am I gonna get next skills? Last time i got some new was on lvl 35 or something, it was high spellscreen (im MAGE). Is that it? no more spells for me? That's kind of stupid cause I didn't even finish the game yet :/ And apparently you can be like lvl 100+ so wtf... maybe there's some new place other than gran soren where you get new skills?
#2 Posted by 0-NGN-0 (19 posts) -

once you max rank a vocation then no, there is no more skills. BUT you can change vocation and core skills and augments from previous vocations will stay so you can mix up your play by experimenting with augments and also you then have to rank up and learn all the new skills of your new vocation. so then after maxing a few diff vocations and then switching back to mage/sorc you wont have new skills but u will have new augs and core skills for him/her to use.

#3 Posted by stangvssupra (74 posts) -
you also have to get fire boon for ex to be able to get fire affinity. there are over 20 spells for a mage. the game is also meant for you to change vocations. so naturally you should go to Sorcerer next and you will find even more spells. remember just because YOU are at level 40 doesnt mean you cant beat the game at level 25. im at level 68 and am still in my first playthrough but only because i chose to. the game cant give you new skills FOREVER. no game is gonna have enough skills or moves to continously give you new ones till level 100. also its better that you have to work for them. i hate when a game gives me an awesome move 30 mins before the game ends.
#4 Posted by xSybille (66 posts) -

Hi there! Each vocation has 9 ranks. Once you hit the 9th rank, that NORMALLY means you've got all the skills. However like it was stated before, you normally need to have fire boon before fire affinity etc.

Now, I started off as a Mage, myself. After that, I moved on to Sorcerer. THEN after that I moved on to Assassin. I'm currently a Fighter because I want to make my pawn a Fighter in NG+, and wanted to get them some Dragonforged items. I plan to move back to Assassin once I hit NG+.

Something that I love about switching vocations, is that you get to carry any augments from other vocations on with you to your new vocation. While I was either a Sorcerer or a Mage I got the skill to take less damage from magic attacks. Now, even though I changed vocations, I got to keep that augment. While in Fighter, I got the augment to be able to carry more without being overencumbered. When I change back to Assassin, or if I want to Sorcerer... or anything else... I'll still get to carry extra things! Even though I'm a Fighter currently I still get to keep my Assassin augments of having extra stamina and health at night. I absolutely love this. You can get every vocation, building up augments and skills of the ultimate character.

The only problem is, if you begin as a Mage or a Sorcerer and then change to something that deals melee damage... you'll have lower Defenses and higher Magick Defenses than a person that began the game as a melee dealer. I also switched to Fighter for a bit so I could get my Defense up a bit. If I ever want to raise my Magick Defense more... I'll go back to Sorcerer. The opposite is also true. If you begin the game as a melee character, then switch to Mage or Sorcerer... or other magick vocations... you'll have higher Defenses and lower Magick Defences than someone that began as a Magick character.

If you're interested in new spells and staying within Magick, I'd suggest becoming a Sorcerer. Keep in mind though, Sorcerers cannot heal. However, I did love summoning tornados and meteor showers! Was great fun! 

I hope this helped some. 

#5 Posted by lotny (14 posts) -
THANKS A LOT FOR ALL THE ANSWERS! They are really helpful. Apparently the game really wants us to be changing the vocations, in most games tho, if you wanna try out different classes you must start the grame from the start. it seems that in dragon's dogma it's not the case at all. I have a question about what you said there xSybille about lacking physic/magick defenses when switching from magic to melee characters - why is that? Why i, from mage becoming a fighter now for example, will have less physical defense? also another thing that concerns me - atm i got about 22k skill points saved - is that enough for start? because i dont wanna end up as a sorcerer with crappy, low lvl skills because i dont have enough points. What parts of my equipment am i gonna have to change when switching to sorcerer? the only difference i know is staffs and archistaffs.
#6 Posted by 0-NGN-0 (19 posts) -

the reason your defences will be lower is because as you level up with a certain vocation it raises certain attributes more, so lets say you started as a mage, as you level up it will raise magi def more than pyshical def, and vice verser if you started as fighter. if you start with strider it tends to raise stamina more etc etc.. but once you switch from mage to fighter each level up will then start to raise your pyshical def more (so basically each vocation raises certain attributes more tha others)

as for skill points, it does not matter how many you have saved because once you pick a new vocation you start that vocation at rank 1, so only rank 1 skills are available until you level up your rank, its rank level that determines what skills are avaialable not player level. (when you switch back to a previous vocation however it will still be the same rank level it was when you left it, so when you switch back to mage, it will will still be rank10)

and finally i ''think'' only gear you need to change when switching from mage to sorc is your staff.

#7 Posted by lotny (14 posts) -
thanks again for the answer. will i not be then "underpowered" (opposite of overpowered lol) with rank 1 skills? will i be able to do quests normally etc?
#8 Posted by SethCypher (109 posts) -
[QUOTE="lotny"]thanks again for the answer. will i not be then "underpowered" (opposite of overpowered lol) with rank 1 skills? will i be able to do quests normally etc?

You should be able to do quests normally, but the majority of work might be done by your pawns more so than you now. The problem with switching from say a Mage to an Assassin character is that Mages have a Attack Damage growth per level of 1 while Assassins have a attack damage growth per level of 6. You're basically missing out on 5/6 of your potential damage output as an Assassin because a majority of your growth in level was spent in raising Magick stats.
#9 Posted by lotny (14 posts) -
I see. i changed to sorcerer and now i'm finishing the game xD I killed the dragon and now i need to find 20 wakeshards O_O maybe without any other topic can someone tell me what am i supposed to do? how to find all 19 shards (1 i was given by the NPC)? I'm in everfall and i also fought some eye (it was summoning these tentacles) but i wasn't doing any damage to it LOL this game is confusing me. -_-
#10 Posted by lotny (14 posts) -
SethCypher thanks very much for the reply. really appreciated.
#11 Posted by SethCypher (109 posts) -

I see. i changed to sorcerer and now i'm finishing the game xD I killed the dragon and now i need to find 20 wakeshards O_O maybe without any other topic can someone tell me what am i supposed to do? how to find all 19 shards (1 i was given by the NPC)? I'm in everfall and i also fought some eye (it was summoning these tentacles) but i wasn't doing any damage to it LOL this game is confusing me. -_-lotny
Hey Lotny, you'll find alot of Wakestone Shards in Everfall. When I mean alot, I mean **** god amount of alot. You'll find them so much that you'll start to wonder if Capcom used these to troll you out of equipment loot in Everfall. Just keep beating mobs up and most of them will drop Shards. The giant eyeball is impervious to most attacks when it has this weird glossed over effect all over it. You have to either wait for it to let this shield drop or attack the tentacles attached to it.

#12 Posted by xSybille (66 posts) -

Yeah, as was said... almost everything you kill in there will drop both WHOLE Wakestones and Wakestone shards. I got through that section in under an hour. Just be prepared for some big monsters. =]

ALSO. No spoilers involved - I'm gonna tell you something important for after you get these shards. Once you turn them in and she asks if you're sure you wanna move on... say no and go check to make sure you and your main pawn have an AMPLE amount of curatives - mainly for health and stamina. You will not need curatives to fix debilitations, so clear those out to make room for health and stamina curatives. Both you and your MAIN PAWN will need them, don't worry about the other two pawns. I played the majority of my game as a Mage and a Sorcerer... and trust me when I say I NEEDED those curatives. I have lower health than the average Assassin now since I began with magick. (When you go to give her the Wakestones, on the same ledge there is a door back to Gran Soren - you can go buy curatives or get some out of the "Inn" inside the Pawn Guild.) Though luckily since you're doing this with a class with auto-aim it won't be as stamina inducing as it was for me, I think... just make sure you keep your eyes open.

I went in without ample curatives... and ended up having to restore to my last checkpoint to go get more ._.;;;

SPOILER POSSIBLY?.............

ALSO! Just so you know! In this next part... you actually can get an achievment for dying! Hah. Not sure if you have to do it in the "hard part" or not, though. You basically do it three times, and I don't know if it has to be in the third time that you die to get the achievment. 

#13 Posted by lotny (14 posts) -
xSybille i dont know what moment you're talking about (when i'm supposed to need these tonnes of curatives lol), cause i just finished game and there was nothing hard after collecting the wakestones. fighting against that god guy was easy, i was just levitating all the time so no one hits me lol and my light attack was taking him a lot of health so took me 5 mins maybe. now hey, wtf... i thought i would start that new game+ or whatever. and i had to start from the start?! i made another character and im in cassardis etc ._. WTF :(
#14 Posted by SethCypher (109 posts) -
now hey, wtf... i thought i would start that new game+ or whatever. and i had to start from the start?! i made another character and im in cassardis etc ._. WTF :(lotny
It is called NEW GAME + for a reason. Also collecting all the Wakestones is just a way to get to NG+, the Everfall area is meant to be a grinding place for better loot and houses some areas with difficult monsters to deal with.
#15 Posted by lotny (14 posts) -
oh well i realised now that i still am lvl 51, all my gear is in warehouse etc. it's pretty fun playing again lol what is the purpose tho? i can do all the quest really easily cause im high lvl. and i can't lvl up lol
#16 Posted by SethCypher (109 posts) -
oh well i realised now that i still am lvl 51, all my gear is in warehouse etc. it's pretty fun playing again lol what is the purpose tho? i can do all the quest really easily cause im high lvl. and i can't lvl up lollotny
Purpose of NG+ is to level up more basically and you obtain better loot throughout all the chests in the game. It allows for less hardcore gamers to pick up some drops they normally couldn't at the equal difficulty level. It also allows you to replay the game and go through quests you missed, try out new choices, try out other Vocations rather than wander around after you finish the game aimlessly. At least this way you have a direction with your adventure.
#17 Posted by lotny (14 posts) -
i suppose. well, thanks everyone for the responses again :D im done with questions lol