Questions from an LoL player

#1 Posted by nathangray (10 posts) -

Alrighty! So, I'm new to the MOBA genre. I expressed some interest and a friend recommended I start with LoL since it's a little more user-friendly, so I did. Much as I'm enjoying it, I seldom stick with one game exclusively, I like variety so I don't burnout, so I'm looking at DoTA/DoTA 2 now. I have some questions first, though, and it would be great if someone could clue me in:

1 - Is there any form of progression? I sort of like that LoL lets me gain points to unlock things, but the reason I like it is none of those things are particularly essential. I don't like feeling like I'm forced to grind for points in order to be competitive, is that something I'd have to worry about with Dota1/2?

2 - Are there significant gameplay differences between DoTA 1 and 2, or can I just play 1 for a while to prepare for 2?

3 - WTF is "deny"? I've tried googling but everything I've found on the subject either devolves into people raging at each other, or is explained in a way that's not particularly noobie friendly.

4 - Finally, the community. I've heard some pretty terrible things about the DoTA community that's putting me off from trying. It's not just the trolls, I can ignore the ragers and whiners and personally I'm more likely to giggle at the name-calling than be offended by it. What I -do- worry about however, is that supposedly DoTA has a higher learning curve, and if no one is ever nice enough to suggest insight or take me aside and say, "Hey, you're doing this wrong, try this instead," how will I learn? So yeah, what's up with that? Any newbie zones/groups/whatevers that I can be pointed at?

Thanks, guys!

#2 Posted by BigT232 (102 posts) -

Alrighty! So, I'm new to the MOBA genre. I expressed some interest and a friend recommended I start with LoL since it's a little more user-friendly, so I did. Much as I'm enjoying it, I seldom stick with one game exclusively, I like variety so I don't burnout, so I'm looking at DoTA/DoTA 2 now. I have some questions first, though, and it would be great if someone could clue me in:

1 - Is there any form of progression? I sort of like that LoL lets me gain points to unlock things, but the reason I like it is none of those things are particularly essential. I don't like feeling like I'm forced to grind for points in order to be competitive, is that something I'd have to worry about with Dota1/2?

2 - Are there significant gameplay differences between DoTA 1 and 2, or can I just play 1 for a while to prepare for 2?

3 - WTF is "deny"? I've tried googling but everything I've found on the subject either devolves into people raging at each other, or is explained in a way that's not particularly noobie friendly.

4 - Finally, the community. I've heard some pretty terrible things about the DoTA community that's putting me off from trying. It's not just the trolls, I can ignore the ragers and whiners and personally I'm more likely to giggle at the name-calling than be offended by it. What I -do- worry about however, is that supposedly DoTA has a higher learning curve, and if no one is ever nice enough to suggest insight or take me aside and say, "Hey, you're doing this wrong, try this instead," how will I learn? So yeah, what's up with that? Any newbie zones/groups/whatevers that I can be pointed at?

Thanks, guys!

nathangray

I'm not the most experienced MOBA player but I can tell you what I know. 1-Yes you level up battlepoints to unlock new equipment, courier's, etc. for your hero's or you can pay cash for these things. This equipment is COSMETIC ONLY, it does NOT effect your hero's stats in any way. If you are familiar with Team Fortress 2 Hats, this is uses the same Steam Workshop as those. Every hero is FREE in Dota 2 from the start. 2- Haven't played Dota 1 in years, but I found the learning curve for Dota 1 much more difficult. Dota 2 helps you by telling you recommended items, better interface, stats, and I feel an overall friendlier community than Dota 1 or LoL. 3-"Deny" is to kill your own creep before the opposing team does so they do not collect coins from it and some experience. Here the Dota2 wiki explains it http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Creep_Control_Techniques I recommend this wiki if you are new, I am finding it useful sense I see myself as pretty new. It explains which hero's are best for new, intermediate, or for advance players. 4- I don't find the Dota 2 community too bad at all. The Dota 1 community was just plain rude on Warcraft 3 but the Dota 2 community has been helpful during matches for me. You always have some bad apples, same with the LoL community. Let me finish by saying if you need help add me on steam, just send me a message and I'll tell you my steam name. I can only help with the basic's (and maybe a bit more) but its better than nothing. Also every hero is FREE in Dota 2 from the start, I love this and will never look back at LoL. If you have Steam on your computer go to the Store and search for Dota 2, click the sign-up button, take the survey, and hopefully you get in the beta or you can have someone pay $40 to get you a beta invite from the in game store . This game might be in beta still technically but it feels polished and nearing completion.

#3 Posted by mep69 (1884 posts) -
1. Well in LoL you are forced to grid for new character to play, then there is a sort of wow like talent tree and runes. I Dota 2 all the character are free and that are no pay to win option. You can however go up levels and unlock random cosmetics for characters which are made in the steam workshop by users. 2. Dota 1 is a mod for WC 3. 3. To deny something is to wait till its on low HP and then click a and click of the tower or friendly AI unit. Denying a tower gives them less gold and denying a unit gives them no xp. 4. Well it depends on the people you group with some nice, some not. Some are noobs and dont take advise and some do. But when Dota 2 is out it has a mode in it that allows new comers to join a game with a community aid to give them advice ETC. Also for any info go to DOTACINEMA on youtube or dota2wiki. Hope this helped
#4 Posted by BadBoY_AC (2107 posts) -
1 - You don't have to be lvl 30 like in LoL and all Heroes are avaiable from start.. for free.. only thing is you get battle points and after a game.. a chance to get a free item.. (only cosmetic stuff.. or a different announcer ingame pretty neat tho) But that optional.. and with every new Level you get on your account you get one item too.. There are no runes, or weird other summoner spells like in LoL.. every1 is the same.. only skill is important.. 2 - If you have access to Dota 2 play it instead of the old DotA.. If you dont have a key.. then start with DotA (its lil bit harder to learn) Cuz of the Shop is more complex in the old dota, controls etc.. But those games are quiete similar ingame.. A good DotA player will easy really fast reach the same level in Dota 2.. u just need to practice lile bit 3 - In Dota u can lasthit ur own creeps.. thats called deny.. therefore the enemy hero will get less exp and no gold.. (only works tho when ur creep is low and just need one last hit) 4 - You should know that Dota is more complex than LoL or any other Moba.. if you can play LoL you will not have such a hard time with Dota.. at least not so hard as if you just started with a moba from scratch.. Thanks to the new Dota 2 you will have an easier start.. a lot of infos are ingame avaiable.. all skills, all items, all heroes etc.. and included are Bots too.. There's a "Skill-Level-System" in Dota 2 where u should only play with the ppl with the same level.. so that should help too.. But ofc ppl will always flame.. But yea ignore it.. you can add me on steam for more info.. i can easy help u with ur start in Dota 2 (or DotA) : http://steamcommunity.com/id/reAlsTyLa just msg me and ill add you.. cya maybe ingame :D