DmC Getting Political? Keep that out of video games, please....

#1 Posted by DevilMayFail (1 posts) -
Guys, I was a teen when the first DMC game came out, and through college saw the other awesome dmc's come out (ok not DMC2 so much, but three was amazing). Started work when DMC 4 came out, and I was a little weirded out by it, but still enjoyed the game play and of course the corney-but-cool dialogue that sounds like it came out of an 80's movie that is really a guilty pleasure (raise your hand if you have a best friend who you actually quote with saying "Like we always used to say, jackpot...." or better yet like Nero, "You've got a jacked-up notion of fair play, pal.....And it's beginning to piss me off..." All lame lines that just for some reason made you smirk and come to the conclusion that it was cool in a dorky way. Simple, plain fun... I'll admit, when I first heard about the reboot and saw early cinematic trailers, I was skeptical. Not an all-out panic sort of thing, but "I wonder if they'll pull this off right." As they re-did the whole Dante-looks-like-a-heroin-addict thing, I was having hopes that and old classic favorite series would have a successful reboot. Only recently, did I notice the new trailers with the Bob Bardas fight and the Vergil into. First, it's obvious Bardas and the Raptor News Network are a clear jab at Fox News. Whether you hate them, or like them, or don't care about them, I would feel the same way about that reference to them if it were cranky Billy O'Reilly being portrayed, or that angry brooding mess Ed Schultz and MSNBC, or CNN, or any of them. The producer said that the game intended to poke fun at modern issues that are "depressingly familiar." Guess what, If I want to experience a funny caricature about modern problems and issues, I'll read a book or watch a movie about it. I do NOT want that garbage in video games, especially within a series that I loved playing when I was younger and would have loved to revisit with this reboot. If the producers wanted to get political, they could go ahead and try their hand at television, movies, or write their own book. Take a look at the Vergil trailer. Notice Vergil does a television broadcast with a white background warning "the machine" about their new weapon, Dante? Did you notice the mask he's wearing? Youtube the Anonymous video that they broadcasted during the Occupy WallStreet movement at it's peak last year when they warned the corporations and governments to step aside. Whether you supported the movement, thought it was insane, or simply didn't care to see or hear about any of it, KEEP IT OUT OF DEVIL MAY CRY. We have watched enough of this stuff on the news and could not tune it out. Now the producers do have a right to make a videogame to romanticize whatever they want. But imagine this, imagine if Breaking Bad, or Mad Men, or some show you like watching changed producers and directors then all of a sudden started talking about how the main character needs to fight a new enemy, the corporations that are preventing him from doing this and that and starts a rebellion of people with masks who think the 99% should fight the 1% about 60% of the time for about 59% of the duration of a financial crisis, you start to see how these producers taking liberty to inject this into what you loved as a simple escape from the garbage you see on the news and have to live through gets annoying, right? Well guess what, I'm going to say it again, KEEP THIS GARBAGE OUT OF VIDEO GAMES. This was a series about rebelling against demons. If you want to make small little jokes here and there with TV broadcasts that Dante watches while Mundus starts to take over, then that's fine. But when you make the main boss a cable news network talking head who happens to resemble one that actually exists? Whether liberal, conservative, independent, or apathetic, it is just plain LAME. Make the series modern, sure, put Dante in a city setting, with demons who look human starting to take over etc and have an underground movement of people who all of a sudden realize Dante is a demon and he kicks butt. Don't make him a political agent trying to rise above a certain political agenda and associate the devil with it somehow....I sadly will not buy this game, not because this offends me, I personally don't care for that. But I am sickened how the divisive arguments and political crap-slinging I see on TV has now been brought to a video game. Even if you want to make a game out of it, don't infect an awesome series franchise with this filthy diseased agenda. I guess I'm going back to DMC 1-4. Good luck on DmC 2, I guess that one will include demon elephants fighting demon donkeys and Dante has to help the donkeys, or the elephants this time....who knows....and frankly at this point, who cares? Yours Truly, A Simple Fan
#2 Posted by DamnILoveGames (139 posts) -
This is one of those things where I see where you're coming from, but it seriously isn't all that bad is it? At the end of the day you're playing as a badass with a sword and guns who goes around and beats the **** out of people. It's one of those games which you play for the gameplay, not the story. If we are honest it was always "over powered son of demon god Sparda who also killed demons." Not exactly a twisted and convoluted thriller which boggles the mind, then. Don't let it get to you, and hey, if you think Bargas looks like Bill 0'Reilly isn't that good? You get to beat the **** out of the mother. At the end of the day, although it may bear a resemblance to modern political issues, there's not honest confirmation that they are based on real stuff. I honestly don't care if it has political things in it, so long as I get to to what I have always loved DMC for. Beating the crap out of demons with a big sword and guns. The games looks good, and "I can already tell. Looks like this is gonna be one hell of a party!".
#3 Posted by jinyuken (648 posts) -

I seriously doubt there will be anything in DmC that will apply to real life politics. Adding a sense of political strife in a world from any media, whether it be literature, film, or video games, adds a sense of realism to the story. DmC isn't trying to get you to vote for Obama, dude.

#4 Posted by Kickable (1088 posts) -
I hate how I have to hear all this crap on TV too, but you're really over reacting IMO. you don't even know how extensive this stuff is in the game and you're not even willing to find out before writing it off. I don't stop watching TV over it, if it's so ridiculous you should be able to tune it out in a video game. where the #1 factor could be entirely unaffected even if it ends up pandering to certain people as much as you think, the gameplay. It's actually the only thing that's consistently awesome(like you said there are some low points) for me, a lot of the plot/dialogue/music has always been cringeworthy to me LOL
#5 Posted by Japanese_Jade (1486 posts) -

tl;dr

Just because you don't like political/social commentary in games does not mean no one else does.

Step outside, there are other people in the world in better, similiar, or harsher shape than you.

#6 Posted by jack_is_cool (14 posts) -

I find this kind of lamentation really annoying. You're actively asking the medium to remain dumbed down. I can't understand why a guy who's been through college wants a return to the Devil May Crys of yesterday, with the paper thin script and mindless hack and slashing. No, I'm quite happy video games have decided to attempt a cultural equivalence with books and films, and that developers actually have something to say. I'm an adult, I have an interest in society, and I like satire - and it just so happens that video games have proven to be extremely proficient in this field.

Of course like any creative work with a message, those who disagree with that message are going to feel alienated, and maybe you're just a harassed right winger. If so, that's fine. but you don't like the game because you disagree with it, not because it has substance.

And by the way, for any staff that may glance this who are disheartened by the original poster's decision not to buy becathey you've injected some relevance into the game, please don't be. It's because of this that I already have the game on preorder.

#8 Posted by snap-dragon (46 posts) -

I find this kind of lamentation really annoying. You're actively asking the medium to remain dumbed down. I can't understand why a guy who's been through college wants a return to the Devil May Crys of yesterday, with the paper thin script and mindless hack and slashing. No, I'm quite happy video games have decided to attempt a cultural equivalence with books and films, and that developers actually have something to say. I'm an adult, I have an interest in society, and I like satire - and it just so happens that video games have proven to be extremely proficient in this field.

Of course like any creative work with a message, those who disagree with that message are going to feel alienated, and maybe you're just a harassed right winger. If so, that's fine. but you don't like the game because you disagree with it, not because it has substance.

And by the way, for any staff that may glance this who are disheartened by the original poster's decision not to buy becathey you've injected some relevance into the game, please don't be. It's because of this that I already have the game on preorder.

jack_is_cool

Yes, I agree all the way.

#9 Posted by prideofNY (78 posts) -

[QUOTE="jack_is_cool"]

snap-dragon

Yes, I agree all the way.

I agree with both your agreement and that which you agree with

#11 Posted by DmCforYouandMe (2 posts) -
Hi Guys, I agree with both sides, and correct, you shouldn't put so much emphasis on a game's political commentaries, especially when its "not real." So any disgust or unhappiness about that is silly, its just a game having fun with satire. But I will say that making an argument that those effected by the world and the comment Step outside and look at others etc," from Japanese Jade, if someone is really affected by outside events and dislike the world etc , the LAST thing you should be doing is playing a game and rattling off on a game forum, but rather lobbying in front of a political or legislative audience, or try your local congressman. Of course, gravitating towards a message from a game series you just happen to be familiar with is fine. All in all, two "both sides," it's a freaking game, whether your republican, democrat, or "I don't give two s***'s-o-cratlican", it's a game, with a satirical social commentary. I mean if that were the case where people should get worked up over a video game, shouldn't British gamers be pissed off at how stupid they looked in Assassin's Creed 3? And uber American patriots ticked that in AC3, Conner told George Washington off? C'mon guys on both sides, lighten the F up... Whether you graduated with a masters, dropped out of high school, or are in school, have a job, etc. If you care about politics, watch the news station of your choice. If you don't care, avoid the news channels. If you like reading or playing video games, THEN READ AND PLAY THEM. If there's a message embedded in it (or maybe there won't be as much of the political overtone as the original poster thought, as Kickable smartly mentioned), then you know what? it is just a SATIRE. To the poster who I am replying to directly, I agree with you, but you are coming on as equally strong as the original poster. No need to claim that games HAVE to be dynamic and that the original poster is incorrect or biased for thinking it shouldn't exist. If the game has some embedded message or satire and pokes fun at some aspect of modern society or issues in a given context in time, or whether it is "mindless hack and slash" as you say. It shouldn't matter because you have the freedom to choose what you like, regardless of what anyone says. You shouldn't assume someone with an education shouldn't play mindless games, etc. Hence the reason idiotic books and movies and reality shows have high ratings or fan bases, because even the smartest people enjoy mindless garbage. So, whether DMC has a message, or doesn't, or partially makes commentary on this, or that, or whatever. Guess what everyone, it's a f**** game. PLAY IT OR DON'T. Your choice. Sic Semper Tyrannis, Live Free, Die Hard, and have a coke, a smile, and shut the f up. Oh yeah, and I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, and applies to all of you on both sides of the aisle who are fighting: "You've got a jacked up notion of fair play pal[s], and it's beginning to piss [everyone] off..." :D -Your Friendly Neighborhood Gamer :)
#12 Posted by JavaTheDog (28 posts) -

Political and religious controversy interests people. We naturally doubt "the power" and develop crazy conspiracy theories :roll: The same reason why Bioshock Infinite, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim and many other games rose to success. It relates to our questioning nature.

#13 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Mr Gorbachev Tear down this wall!