Depth of Combat

#1 Posted by Tetsuro343 (10 posts) -

For anyone who has been following this game closely or had actual hands on experience with it; how deep is the combat? I've seen several articles claiming that it plays like previous Devil May Cry titles, but I am skeptical of how well the authors knew previous tites. Do things like enemy step canceling, style stiching and weapon switching exist in the game?

Part of the biggest draw of Devil May Cry games especially 3 and 4 was how involved the combat could be.  It made you want to play the game on harder difficulties just so enemies would have more health and thus more combo time. Not to mention how difficult it could be to master certain techniques in the game, but the payoff was great as it made the things found in this video possible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsuGB3S92Q.  These things have kept me coming back to replay Devil May Cry over the years.

Unfortunately current gameplay vids don't really show any real depth of combat, and I am skeptical that the game will be anything more than mash to SSS.  Not that I don't believe that Ninja Theory can't create an in depth combat system, but their track record doesn't leave me with a lot of faith.

Despite what I and many other long time fans think of the new rebooted look of DmC, it's the combat that really makes the game. If the depth isn't there then I will probably pass on this one.

#2 Posted by Tetsuro343 (10 posts) -

Bump because the thread seemed to vanish as soon as it was posted.

#3 Posted by GreekGod88 (469 posts) -

the depth is ok not DMC 4 but..ok, but as you know styles are gone so you use only angel mode and demon mode to switch things up. You can still jump cancel and use enemy step . Though the combat doesnt offer anything new aside from being able to jumpcancel everything now.. pretty weak imo. Also DT is completly broken now as soon as you activate DT you instantly juggle all enemys get a huge chunk of life and an insane damage ouput. In my opinion its the new noob button. Stylish Meter also got very easy to get SSS all the time. Taunts are gone too bleearrgh

maybe i buy it used not sure

#4 Posted by MajahretDiviera (272 posts) -

also the control scheme makes no sense. both L1 R1 do teh same thing with is dodge, you have to hit R3+L3 to devil trigger, eventhough they could have easily made L1 or R1 be a DT button. you have to hold L2 to use the angel stuff, and hold R2 to do demonic weaps, would have been better to just have it switch left or right respectively like the previous games, and the lack of a lockon blows beyond belief especially since the auto lock has no clue what it is doing. overall the control scheme is very archaic, and the fact that if your camera is not facing something like a grab point, it wont do it at all, plus the camera it self is clunky and a mess. and worst of all, aside from the 30fps, the flow of the combat is slow and you are constantly interrupted with their little cinematics inbetween combat which just screw up whatever flow you had. and lastly, the style meter sucks, you can just spam the same attack over and over and get up to a SSS with ease. plus the HUD is just lame and lacking any flair or style.

#5 Posted by Nophoria88 (410 posts) -

also the control scheme makes no sense. both L1 R1 do teh same thing with is dodge, you have to hit R3+L3 to devil trigger, eventhough they could have easily made L1 or R1 be a DT button. you have to hold L2 to use the angel stuff, and hold R2 to do demonic weaps, would have been better to just have it switch left or right respectively like the previous games, and the lack of a lockon blows beyond belief especially since the auto lock has no clue what it is doing. overall the control scheme is very archaic, and the fact that if your camera is not facing something like a grab point, it wont do it at all, plus the camera it self is clunky and a mess. and worst of all, aside from the 30fps, the flow of the combat is slow and you are constantly interrupted with their little cinematics inbetween combat which just screw up whatever flow you had. and lastly, the style meter sucks, you can just spam the same attack over and over and get up to a SSS with ease. plus the HUD is just lame and lacking any flair or style.

MajahretDiviera
Bias hate written all over every one of your posts, everyone who drives by can see it. Considering you can completely re-arrange the entire controller layout, your first point is moot. Learning to adjust to the new weapon switching? Well that sounds like a personal problem.
#6 Posted by Eraldus (399 posts) -

MajahretDiviera
The only part from your post that I agreed, and to an extent, is the part you mentioned the HUD.
#7 Posted by Pedro_Fayad (7 posts) -

For anyone who has been following this game closely or had actual hands on experience with it; how deep is the combat? I've seen several articles claiming that it plays like previous Devil May Cry titles, but I am skeptical of how well the authors knew previous tites. Do things like enemy step canceling, style stiching and weapon switching exist in the game?

Part of the biggest draw of Devil May Cry games especially 3 and 4 was how involved the combat could be.  It made you want to play the game on harder difficulties just so enemies would have more health and thus more combo time. Not to mention how difficult it could be to master certain techniques in the game, but the payoff was great as it made the things found in this video possible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsuGB3S92Q.  These things have kept me coming back to replay Devil May Cry over the years.

Unfortunately current gameplay vids don't really show any real depth of combat, and I am skeptical that the game will be anything more than mash to SSS.  Not that I don't believe that Ninja Theory can't create an in depth combat system, but their track record doesn't leave me with a lot of faith.

Despite what I and many other long time fans think of the new rebooted look of DmC, it's the combat that really makes the game. If the depth isn't there then I will probably pass on this one.

Tetsuro343
Perfect! I won't buy the game too, the fighting mechanics feels more like god of war and ninja gaiden than Devil may cry... Ninja theory f*#ed things pretty bad
#8 Posted by samclockwise (187 posts) -

thats to bad because they are pretty much the same controls. just you have to hold L2 or R2 for the angle and devil weapon to work.

#9 Posted by RaikeX (25 posts) -

This game is good but ther is one problem with it THE NAME,

Im a Devil May Cry fan sense the very first game and believe me whin I say that this game is good but when capcom named the game DMC they ruined this game because the gamers will have to compere this game with the original Devil May Cry and if you do that you will see that this game is rubbish [maybe capcom knew that this game is rubbish but want to sale it and a good way to do that is to put a fames game name on it and every one will buy it],

And when you play this game it looks like your playing Darkness or Ashuras wrath but when you play the old games it feels like F Final Fantasy [I dont know how to explain this but Final Fantasy drawings feel real but for darkness it feels like it came from some comic books if you know what I mean],

All in All for non Devil May Cry fan this game is good but for those who is just like me this game will feel like sh*t especially when they named this emo kid Dante and that prick Virgil,

And her is a suggestion for capcom change this game name and the characters to some thing else like AMC Angel May Cry if they want to put Angels in this game so bad and name fake Dante Trace and fake Virgil Travis and while you at it name the game T&TMC Trace & Travis May Cry {and they will}.

#10 Posted by sjwho2 (273 posts) -
[QUOTE="MajahretDiviera"]

Nophoria88
Bias hate written all over every one of your posts, everyone who drives by can see it. Considering you can completely re-arrange the entire controller layout, your first point is moot. Learning to adjust to the new weapon switching? Well that sounds like a personal problem.

Really? That is biased? In what way is that biased to any degree. "He doesn't like the combat system, he must be biased." Derp, learn the definitions of words before you speak please.
#11 Posted by Eraldus (399 posts) -

This game is good but ther is one problem with it THE NAME,

Im a Devil May Cry fan sense the very first game and believe me whin I say that this game is good but when capcom named the game DMC they ruined this game because the gamers will have to compere this game with the original Devil May Cry and if you do that you will see that this game is rubbish [maybe capcom knew that this game is rubbish but want to sale it and a good way to do that is to put a fames game name on it and every one will buy it],

And when you play this game it looks like your playing Darkness or Ashuras wrath but when you play the old games it feels like F Final Fantasy [I dont know how to explain this but Final Fantasy drawings feel real but for darkness it feels like it came from some comic books if you know what I mean],

All in All for non Devil May Cry fan this game is good but for those who is just like me this game will feel like sh*t especially when they named this emo kid Dante and that prick Virgil,

And her is a suggestion for capcom change this game name and the characters to some thing else like AMC Angel May Cry if they want to put Angels in this game so bad and name fake Dante Trace and fake Virgil Travis and while you at it name the game T&TMC Trace & Travis May Cry {and they will}.

RaikeX
And spamming the same crap won't really help it (nor that it needs any help at all)