Is Epic Mickey 2 Only Part Of A Game ???

#1 Posted by katydiddd (314 posts) -

What do we know about why Epic Mickey 2 is only part of a game?

The previous post by mia-oh-my and posts by others brought up many questions about whether Disney just ran out of time to get the full game out for the holidays, and truncated it without being able to clear up the loose ends, OR, if, at some point, Disney decided to put out a game in two parts, to make more money.

Customers ended up with something that can be done in an hour, and Disney threw in tedious side quests to make people thin out hundreds of buildings and jackhammer roadways to search for Hidden Mickeys.

1) Of course, the biggest proof that EM2 is an incomplete game is that Mickey is still in Wasteland, with forgotten toons, instead of being back in his house in Disneyland, where he started the game, greeting children and making cartoons.

2) The narrator says at the end that Oswald & Mickey do not know what lies ahead, but together they can conquer it all.

3) After the credits, the Petes kidnapped a gremlin into Mickeys Service Station in Adventureland. I followed to no avail.

4) The OsTown Fountain does not have blue paint/water that should cover up the turnstile. We should be able to use the transportation tubes that are under the turnstile to transport up, or someplace.

5) After the credits roll, when you say pause, it states to keep exploring Wasteland. Soon, it changes to Epilogue: Work together to use the turnstile and open the way forward.

6) The place is still in turmoil, with all the characters worried.

7) Gremlin Jamface says, "Strange, it looks all fixed, but still receives no power." (This is after I fixed all 6 undergrounds, and the windmill is turning beautifully. It occurs during a "paint" game, with 165 pins -- before I start demolishing things to get more pins.

8) Three Jamaican women talk about reuniting Main Street and fixing Dark Beauty castle.

#2 Posted by emeeloo (32 posts) -

Yes, it's only part of a game. 

#3 Posted by Mcbasilrocks (91 posts) -

And two things that are really telling are that:

1. The ending is ridiculously rushed, as if they simply ran out of time and needed to wrap up all the 'plot twists' in the space of a 2-minute cutscene. What's all this about the Mad Doctor having a TV show? Never mentioned again. What role did Prescott play? Nothing. Why did the Mad Doctor pretend to be good? Never explained. It's all just rattled off in a song. Some 'plot twist'. I was left more confused than satisfied. They have this huge-build up, like with the whole Prescott conspiracy, then just drop it and pretend it never existed. Incomplete game? I think so.

2. The shops have all these pins available for tasks that never existed - there's a 'Defeated Petetronic' pin? When did we fight Petetronic? Oh, look... there's a pin for restoring Madame Leona's art gallery... when did we do that again? Hey, it's a 'Battled Hook' pin! Great! When did we battle Hook? My guess is that these things were to be included, but were cut out but they left in the pins. That's just lazy.

Yup, Epic Mickey 2 is incomplete.

#4 Posted by katydiddd (314 posts) -

1)  Your first point was right on.  Thanks for the additional perspectives that hadn't even hit me until you told me.  Thanks.

2)  I absolutely know that the Pin Trader sells 48 pins that are from Epic Mickey 1.

Two weeks after I bought EM2 on November 18, 2012, I reluctantly bought the Prima Guide.  Eventually, I ended up 4 pins short of the 157 possible, with the Pin Trader not selling any more.   Quickly scanning the guide's list of pins, I immediately knew that two of the pins were from Autotopia races. 

I didn't know what else I was missing.  So, I spent an hour inside the Pin Trader Shop, at the first slot, going through the Wasteland Pins -- where they are not alphabetical, and you have to point at each one to see its name.  I checked my pins against the guide's pins. 

I manually wrote a list of the 48 pins that are from Epic Mickey -- not on the guide's list of Unique pins.  I'll give it to you if you want it for your bookkeeping.  Or, GameStop sells and guarantees used Nintendo Wii Consoles for $100 or less, and WalMart sells original Epic Mickey for $20.  I do not recommend Wii U, because Nintendo switched suppliers of their CPU and lasar disc reader, for cheaper ones.  Wait for the glitches to be resolved.

One pin that I was missing was said to be under the "Nest Egg Pin" found in a red chest under the Ventureland Crows Nest.  But it wasn't there.  I had a Mad Doctor Costume on Oswald, to help with his zapping, but I changed him to a Prescott costume, that was supposed to help finding pins.  Still no luck finding the chest.  I went into the Tiki Shop, even though I knew he wouldn't have anything.  When I came out, there it was!!!

My other missing pin was the foreman pin -- even though I thought I had meticulously done all 6 undergrounds, and had posted them for others.  Turns out I could place one of the charging cubes on another blue square, to make another chest appear.

For Autotopia, the swaying camera angles made it like driving on ice -- not like Mario Kart or NASCAR.   They told me to beat Guilda's time in a car -- like I had done in foot races in Epic Mickey.  I finally did it -- and didn't get the pin.  I tried again, and it was a 2-lap race.  Finally, I won.  And, then they had us turn around and do the course clockwise, like a road race in Japan or where they drive on the left side of the road.  Finally, I got the pin, and bought its mate (paint vs. thinner)  at the Pin Shop.

- - - - -

I still think the makers of both games were mean spirited.

And, you were so right about your observations.

Social Commentary:  In the game, Horace says he wants an assistant, and Clarabelle takes the job, expecially now that she has a little one to care for.  Then, we see Jerk Horace making passes and bringing flowers.  What message is that?  Where did that come from? 

#5 Posted by katydiddd (314 posts) -

Look to the booklet that came with the game and to the Prima Guide that thanks Disney for help in making it for clues as to what the goal of the game is, and whether they met it, or whether the game was cut short.

THE BOOKLET states: "only the combined powers of Mickey and Oswald can restore this once-proud home for forgotten Toons."

THE PRIMA GUIDE states on page 13: "As you explore Wasteland, Mickey and Oswald must discover who is really behind the 'quakes threatening to destroy the land and put a stop to it."

Epic Mickey 2 was cut short of its goal.

#6 Posted by Mcbasilrocks (91 posts) -

Oh, and some more pretty major things that make it really obvious that the game is incomplete - the map shown at the train stations shows a train station at Tomorrowland (the area with the rocket), a small area in the top-left (possibly Small World), and at Mickeyjunk Mountain. Dark Beauty Castle also looks as though it should be accessible.

Additionally, the game really bigs up the whole subplot of Prescott breaking the projectors; first with Pete showing us the teeth, then actually confronting Prescott, and, during the cutscene where Gus shows us the map of Ventureland, Mickey says 'maybe it'll tell us why Prescott broke the projectors!' Great!, you think. Time to unravel this mystery that's basically lasted the entire game, and...... oh. Look at that. The credits have scrolled, and nothing more was said about it. What a shame...

I'm sorry for posting this part in bold, but I'm feeling the need to have a rant here: HOW COULD THEY INTRODUCE A PLOT POINT ABOUT HALF AN HOUR IN, BUILD ON IT THROUGH THE ENTIRE GAME (which is stupidly short, might I add) AND NOT RESOLVE IT AT THE END? DID THEY JUST FORGET ABOUT IT OR SOMETHING?! WE ARE NEVER, REPEAT, NEVER, TOLD WHY PRESCOTT BROKE THE PROJECTORS, OR WHAT ROLE HE PLAYED IN THE STORY. THE ONLY OTHER MENTION WE GET OF HIM IS A LINE IN A SONG: "I fooled Prescott into turning on his friends...." (which we already knew), AND THAT'S IT. AND WARREN SPECTOR SAID HE WANTED THIS GAME TO BE AS EMOTIONAL AS TOY STORY 3. WELL, IF THEY CAN'T EVEN SUSTAIN A BASIC PLOT POINT, THAT IDEA'S GONE!

Whew. And no, I can't be bothered ranting about how random, sudden, and out-of-place the whole 'Mad Doctor TV Show' plot point is. No. I won't do it. Play the game, find out for yourself.

.....do we need any further proof that EM2 is unfinished? Pins and dialogue left over from the 'full game', areas inaccessible, nonsensical plot, rubbish, abrupt ending.... come on, Junction Point, get your act together!

Epic Mickey 3: Tri Again beckons.....?

#7 Posted by Mcbasilrocks (91 posts) -

Just going to bump this topic - potential consumers need to be made aware of the game's brevity.

#8 Posted by berethor099 (35 posts) -

I just finished the game. After playing the first one (and loving it) when it originally came out I was SOO dissappointed in this game.  

You guys it it all on the head.  It is INCREDIBLY short!  and feels unfinished.  What we do get is really fun, but we just don't get enough of it.  I was so SHOCKED when the credits rolled.  I was like What?  That's it.  

I could rant more but I won't...I'm just super sad that this game was wasted and only half finished.