What makes this so highly rated? Please be specific.

#1 Posted by rsunset327 (1375 posts) -

I'm 35, I consider myself to have fairly broad tastes in games. My least favorite genre is the Half-Life 2 style, limited weapons, basically not many ways to screw around kind of game. 

I've played this about 1/2 way through mission 1. Dinked around looking for cool things, took control of rats to torment npc's for a bit. Upgraded things, experimented, generally doing what I do in any game.

I don't see what makes this such a "good" game. It seems like typical same old same old crap honestly. I don't see any new innovations, choices don't matter at all, limited customization, bland storyline ala Fable 2, etc.

It's just....PLAIN.

SO, what gives?

#2 Posted by soccerman36 (1877 posts) -

troll topic? otherwise im not sure how this seems like "the same old crap". I cant really think of a lot of games that combine stealth/combat/platforming/supernatural powers the way this one does, and there are usually multiple ways to complete any objective which seems to be exactly what your looking for in a game.

So other than that, dont know what to tell you. If this is the same old crap then I'd hate to read your review of the next call of duty game. 

#3 Posted by rsunset327 (1375 posts) -

I'm serious. Why is this so highly praised? Paid reviews? Also why does everyone have to bring COD into every single topic? What does that have to do with anything at all?

I'll stick it out through Mission 2 to see if it magically gets interesting I guess.

#4 Posted by fanirama (925 posts) -
I think sometimes if you play too many games in a short amount of time, you do get bored with new releases even though it may be innovative in its own way. Personally, I haven't bought this game yet because I'm playing Torchlight 2 at present (which is also another run of the mill game now but still a 7.5/10, overall better than Diablo 3 but does appear inferior in terms of polish) and I think Dishonored seems fun and innovative with lots of options to approach an area. I like games like that - Crackdown, GTA, Just Cause 2 etc. which give you options but sadly I didn't like Bioshock (boring) nor Assassins Creed. ;) The human mind is a wonder. You may not like certain games even though others rate very highly.
#5 Posted by Decretum (43 posts) -

Have you ever considered the possibility that, *gasp!* you might have an unorthodox taste in games? 

Really, if it's come to the point where you need someone to mould your tastes for you, then just back away.  Nobody is going to be able to convince you to like a game that doesn;t fit with your tastes.

There is the possibility that you are just out for some hard boiled argument, but in that case, I reccomend you head over to wikipedia and contribute to the "epinephrine" vs "adrenaline" debate.  It's twice as hilarious and bounds more frivolous.

#6 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -
you don't have any first person shooter type games in your rating history, wouldn't that be the answer? you would say the same things about others in the genre right? you're aware that first person shooters have been a lightning rod in the industry for years? name 3 of your favorite games ever and the main reason you liked each, that aren't in your rating history. not trying to be a smart-a** here, just think it would help answer your topic question
#7 Posted by Viliny (22 posts) -

I actually felt the same way... This game feels really shallow even if the idea is good. When i first played this i got the feeling that i've already played this game countless times before.

Theres nothing new or innovative going on here. When you think about this... it's pretty much oblivion/skyrim all over again - sword in one hand and supernatural powers in the other - escape prison in the start of the game and then work yourself up from there to be the super messiah of the universe.

I know im making broad generalisations and i don't expect fans to agree with me at all, but really... I'm 26 at this point and i've played every AAA title since 3D graphics made it into games alongside with all the first person shooters/rpg's etc etc. and it REALLY feels like there isn't much going on here.

The stealth in this game also feels lackluster -> first example is the very first thing in the game where you play hide and seek with the girl, there isn't really anything to hide in... even the bushes are impenetrable so that all went to hell for me really quick...

I don't know, maybe these sort of games don't do it for me anymore after playing them for so long.

#8 Posted by erMonezza (355 posts) -

I don't know, maybe these sort of games don't do it for me anymore after playing them for so long.

Viliny

This is it.

As you get older and more experienced your tastes change.

People have to realise that you can't please everybody and that people tastes differ. It's not like if there is a guy that doesn't like a game that everyone does, means that he is a troll. That guy just has a different taste and prefers other things.

"Then, why did he post here if he doesn't like the game?" You may ask.

Because it's a forum and not everyone is a young kid who trolls for fun. ;)  

People like to express their oppinion and get oppinion from others about same hobbies they have.

cheers

#9 Posted by Mirha77 (106 posts) -
When it comes to the review and the rating, I think it comes down to trying to give a review of a product while keeping in mind the diversity of the audience that you're writing for. Everyone looks for different things in games. Personally, I need a story or solid writing to carry me forward, which is why I started losing interest in this game when the developer gave that interview talking about they didn't bother giving the main character much of a background or any story because that didn't matter. To me, it does. BUT, I'm one person and there are plenty of people to whom the freedom of choice is the main reason they do play games.

To address your question, even if the game doesn't offer the things that keep you interested, given that the main selling point of the game is freedom of choice in the approach that you take to accomplish objectives, how well does the game accomplish this? Is the gameplay smooth? Are the controls responsive? If the world is supposed to matter more than the story, is the world at least well realized? Given that choice of approach is so important, does the AI behavior change based on your decisions? For example, are the guards more aggressive in recognizing you or hunting you down if you go in guns blazing than if you took a stealthier route? If the game does all of these things, then it is a well made game. It may not have something that interests you as an individual, and the lack of driving story or anything other than "total freedom of choice" may make it feel generic and lack the spark you're looking for, but I think this is one of those games where it does what it aims to do well and that's the reason for the high scores.
#10 Posted by sbdb (436 posts) -

If 44 critics give this game an average 9, then there is a problem with you and not the critics, because it's clear that you're approaching this game completely the wrong way, which doesn't suprise me with so many silly kids rushing through mindless first person shooters so that they can brag about the short time it took to finish the game...sigh

#11 Posted by sbdb (436 posts) -

...and claiming that all these cirtics are being paid is pure arrogance, because God forbid if there are actually people out there who know better than you what a good game is. :roll:

#12 Posted by Mirha77 (106 posts) -

If 44 critics give this game an average 9, then there is a problem with you and not the critics, because it's clear that you're approaching this game completely the wrong way, which doesn't suprise me with so many silly kids rushing through mindless first person shooters so that they can brag about the short time it took to finish the game...sigh

sbdb
Yes, because believing that something isn't really that great when it has high review scores means that I'm "doing it wrong" and that I have a problem. Thank you so much. All this time, I was under the impression that I could just think for myself.
#13 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
I like it cause it seems like it blended 3 of my favorite games together, the powers remind me of bioshock, the sneaking around reminds me of thief and the mulitple ways to assassinate your targets reminds me of hitman.
#14 Posted by kevko76 (253 posts) -

i thought the same thing playing the first part, i was a litle let down, but once the game gains its momentum i find it to be really satisfying. the hide and seek thing is really lame, i agree, and there are some other small aspects that i found odd, like journals and books repeated in different locations... but despite its shortcomings, i find it to be a pretty fun stealth game...

#15 Posted by charlievo (277 posts) -

Gamespot got paid, that's why.

#16 Posted by Armyboy5 (1479 posts) -

I'll stick it out through Mission 2 to see if it magically gets interesting I guess.

rsunset327

Magically gets interesting?.. I considered you intelligent until now..

Most games I play, I need to push myself throughout the first level (atleast) to get me into it.. I never get hooked into a game from the second I start to play, that woulden't seem right

#17 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -

charlievo
So did the other fortysomething other sites? Metacritic score is 89/100
#18 Posted by xninjagrrl (755 posts) -

sbdb

The OP stated he was 35 years old. Maybe it's the other way around. I am around this guy's age and I tend to agree with him. Perhaps the people giving this title a 9 out of 10 are the younger kids and the adults are the ones who don't see the mass appeal? That doesnt really jive since I assume most game reviewers are adults. I've never been so confused by mass appeal for a 'bad' game since the Metro 2033 incident. Although, this is a thousand times better than Metro but still not going to hold my interest for very long. I will admit it though, I am rather picky when it comes to games. Glad you guys are enjoying it though. 

#19 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
I will be 31 in April and I am loving it, reminds me of some games from when I was younger, like Deus Ex and Thief and System Shock.
#20 Posted by Anaqin (7 posts) -

I have played this game for 4 hours and now I'm desperatly trying to find out why I don't enjoy this game. I loved deus ex, hitman and thief back in the day. Maybe I'm getting old and bored of gaming in general or maybe there isn't really anything special in this game that would keep me playing. Seen that done that feeling is overwhelming. I think fps gaming has gone bad after consoles took over. Crysis, fallout 3 & new vegas and bf3 are games that set the bar in new hights. Hell even portal games kept me playing. I really don't think there is enough innovation here. I don't even know why I'm writing this... I just don't get these closed "railway" kind of maps anymore... It didin't bother me ten years ago but now I think open enviroment without constant loading screens is the way to do fps games. 

#21 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
closed railway? but there is multiple ways to get anywhere. I possessed a fish and swam threw a sewer grate in one map instead of using a door or window, another time I possessed a soldier to flick a switch to get through, another time I lept from building to building and came in through the skylight, and other people did it completely different ways.
#22 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -
[QUOTE="charlievo"]

stan_boyd
So did the other fortysomething other sites? Metacritic score is 89/100

don't expect proof or a response. they turn to dust the moment you use logic
#23 Posted by MISTMAN77 (231 posts) -

Is anyone here actually far enough into the game to give it a reasonable and honest review?

I just got my copy yesterday. Was at first uninspired by the start, but as I go firther into it I'm liking it more and more. Same as many great games I suppose.

I think its silly to have a knee-jerk reaction to a game just because one isn't blown away with it after the first few stages.

#24 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
He can have a opinion, thats why he posted this topic.I agree with him and I have no clue why this is rated so high.There really isn't anything that great about this game.I feel like I have played this before and it just gets hard to get into this game.I don't care what people are gonna say, this game did not deserve a 9 rating...maybe a 6
#25 Posted by Jacanuk (4720 posts) -

I'm 35, I consider myself to have fairly broad tastes in games. My least favorite genre is the Half-Life 2 style, limited weapons, basically not many ways to screw around kind of game. 

I've played this about 1/2 way through mission 1. Dinked around looking for cool things, took control of rats to torment npc's for a bit. Upgraded things, experimented, generally doing what I do in any game.

I don't see what makes this such a "good" game. It seems like typical same old same old crap honestly. I don't see any new innovations, choices don't matter at all, limited customization, bland storyline ala Fable 2, etc.

It's just....PLAIN.

SO, what gives?

rsunset327
Hmm, as mentioned in the first post, troll much :D But i guess your just to old for gaming so a good advice, sell your pc/console and buy a cardigan and sit in the corner polishing your guns with a cigar and a glass of brandy/scotch :D
#26 Posted by Jacanuk (4720 posts) -

I'm serious. Why is this so highly praised? Paid reviews? Also why does everyone have to bring COD into every single topic? What does that have to do with anything at all?

rsunset327
Ok, if your serious. Why its gets so high praise is because its a absolut great game, a great new IP that delivers on what it promised and do it in a way thats good. Also i will bet 1million bucks that no matter what game you choose today, it will have been done before, its impossible for anyone today at this time to come up with a game that doesnt have elements from other games. If you feel its crap, its just not a game for you, so sell it and get on with your life :D
#27 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
He can have a opinion, thats why he posted this topic.I agree with him and I have no clue why this is rated so high.There really isn't anything that great about this game.I feel like I have played this before and it just gets hard to get into this game.I don't care what people are gonna say, this game did not deserve a 9 rating...maybe a 6mrsniper83
And your 6 that you give it is biased based on the fact you simply don't like this game for some reason. I am guessing since you have Raiden as your avatar that you like MK alot. Personally I think all MK games deserve no more than a 3 because I think fighting games are boring and lame. Review sites can't really review like that though. Personally I think Dishonored is worthy of a 9.0, new IP an artstyle I like and I like the stealth gameplay and the special powers and how you can use them in fun and unique ways. But no game ever is gonna appeal to everyone.
#28 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -

I'm right in agreement with the TS. I was gonna start a thread titled meh! The game is so slowly paced and just does not make me want to play it at all anymore. Swimming slowly, average graphics, average kills, average skills, bland environments, bland characters. Nothing draws me into the game at all, it's kind of sad. The technology is bottlenecking things now imo, to make that giant leap where we have huge open, detailed sprawling landscapes with massive battles and lifelike graphics we need the next gen. This game is just sooooooo average, the only cool part is it's kind of pastel graphics.

Sure there are multiple ways to do things but they do not feel like the player actually came up with it. every unique solution feels forced, the little corridors for posessing a rat are obvioius, the climbing pathways are still very linear and doing anything unique doesn't feel that unique, it feels like one of those choose your own adventure books where you aren't actually making your own story, just picking one of several (bland) options.

#29 Posted by JimmyCos (507 posts) -

I have played this game for 4 hours and now I'm desperatly trying to find out why I don't enjoy this game. I loved deus ex, hitman and thief back in the day. Maybe I'm getting old and bored of gaming in general or maybe there isn't really anything special in this game that would keep me playing. Seen that done that feeling is overwhelming. I think fps gaming has gone bad after consoles took over. Crysis, fallout 3 & new vegas and bf3 are games that set the bar in new hights. Hell even portal games kept me playing. I really don't think there is enough innovation here. I don't even know why I'm writing this... I just don't get these closed "railway" kind of maps anymore... It didin't bother me ten years ago but now I think open enviroment without constant loading screens is the way to do fps games. 

Anaqin
Dude i feel so like you. I'm 22 and it's really sad when i think that my 12 years old version would have loved this game. Now i'm only enjoying 4x and grandstrategy games, and the kind of games you said: The one that set the bar higher, or do the same thing in a new way.
#30 Posted by GalaxyAurora (4 posts) -

Just want to ask: first level? You have just finished the first level and you have possesion? How? That is a late game power. You should invest in some other more necessary power like Blink or Dark Vision. If you have picked that power, then it is sure you don't have Dark Vision or Blink tier 2. You need more than just one power because that is when you will have more things to do, you can combine them with other powers and gears to make carzy things. The game allows you to do whatever you want and there will be consequences for your actions, your every actions.

Keep playing, if you only get the first mission and already complain about the game, I think you haven't had much experiences about how to enjoy a game.

I have finished this game with no kill yesterday and, while limiting myself to the non lethal path and try not to be seen at all have made me unable to perform some bizarre ways to finish the quests, I still find enough to really appreciate the devs for making such a lively world with so much things to do. Try to think for a while before doing something, there is always another way to do it. The freedom to do what I want and the results it can bring is really fun

And FYI, if you think I haven't played enough to say anything, I have been playing this game for more than 20 hours, trying to do everything, gather everything, read most of books while being completely unseen, on hard. Will try on very hard tonight, but with some killing.

#31 Posted by altmoonster (1881 posts) -

To answer the original question:  what makes it so highly rated is...

-it has a good story fleshed out through dialogue and text,

-there are multiple ways to complete objectives,

-the action, magic, and stealth mehanics are well implemented,

- the setting is original. 

I have a backlog of some 140 games and i rented this on redbox last night, only to go out and buy it the today and put it ahead of all the other games in the pile.

It's familiar, but different.

40 plus gamer here, decades of gaming wisdom

#32 Posted by gsmull (24 posts) -

Not liking half-life 2 is teh first sign that your gaming preferences might not be like everyone else's. I have found that ctitic ratings over 8.0 out of 10 mean that the game is worth buying. If your preferences run counter to everyone' else's then don't bother looking at the rating, but read the review more closely to see if the game options and features match up with what you like. The reviewers usually do a good job breaking down what the game features as well as what it's strengths and weakness are.

#33 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
[QUOTE="mrsniper83"]He can have a opinion, thats why he posted this topic.I agree with him and I have no clue why this is rated so high.There really isn't anything that great about this game.I feel like I have played this before and it just gets hard to get into this game.I don't care what people are gonna say, this game did not deserve a 9 rating...maybe a 6stan_boyd
And your 6 that you give it is biased based on the fact you simply don't like this game for some reason. I am guessing since you have Raiden as your avatar that you like MK alot. Personally I think all MK games deserve no more than a 3 because I think fighting games are boring and lame. Review sites can't really review like that though. Personally I think Dishonored is worthy of a 9.0, new IP an artstyle I like and I like the stealth gameplay and the special powers and how you can use them in fun and unique ways. But no game ever is gonna appeal to everyone.

I picked raiden just for the heck of it, and reading your post makes me sick to my stomach.So you can give all the MK games a 3 because you think they are boring but i cant give a stealth game that i think is boring a 6....you sir are a joke....UGGHH let me guess, you have a battletoads on your profile cause you like battletoads.....troll
#34 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
[QUOTE="stan_boyd"][QUOTE="mrsniper83"]He can have a opinion, thats why he posted this topic.I agree with him and I have no clue why this is rated so high.There really isn't anything that great about this game.I feel like I have played this before and it just gets hard to get into this game.I don't care what people are gonna say, this game did not deserve a 9 rating...maybe a 6mrsniper83

I picked raiden just for the heck of it, and reading your post makes me sick to my stomach.So you can give all the MK games a 3 because you think they are boring but i cant give a stealth game that i think is boring a 6....you sir are a joke....UGGHH let me guess, you have a battletoads on your profile cause you like battletoads.....troll

So you can say that a game doesn't deserve the score it gets but if I do then I must be a joke? so really you are just a hypocrite trying to call me a troll. You say this game doesn't deserve a 9 rating, and I don't think Mortal Kombat deserves anything more than a 3, the only reason it sells is the blood and finishers. Personally I think this game is at least a 9 if not a 10. I can play stealth or action instead of having to buy two seperate games, I like the artstyle and I like the abilities and the interesting ways you can use them. But if you can't stand someone saying a game you like is rated to high, maybe you shouldn't tell others that the games they like are rated to high.
#35 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
[QUOTE="mrsniper83"][QUOTE="stan_boyd"][QUOTE="mrsniper83"]He can have a opinion, thats why he posted this topic.I agree with him and I have no clue why this is rated so high.There really isn't anything that great about this game.I feel like I have played this before and it just gets hard to get into this game.I don't care what people are gonna say, this game did not deserve a 9 rating...maybe a 6stan_boyd

So you can say that a game doesn't deserve the score it gets but if I do then I must be a joke? so really you are just a hypocrite trying to call me a troll. You say this game doesn't deserve a 9 rating, and I don't think Mortal Kombat deserves anything more than a 3, the only reason it sells is the blood and finishers. Personally I think this game is at least a 9 if not a 10. I can play stealth or action instead of having to buy two seperate games, I like the artstyle and I like the abilities and the interesting ways you can use them. But if you can't stand someone saying a game you like is rated to high, maybe you shouldn't tell others that the games they like are rated to high.

Dude i dont think your brain works....You bash me for having raiden as a pic and then you say mk deserves a 3, but i cant say that this game deserves a 6,talk about a hypocrite.I really dont know how we got on the subject of my profile pic but its clear to me your just posting to be an ass.I think the game derserves a 6, you think its a 10,move on hater.
#36 Posted by CaesarIIII (24 posts) -
I'm 37 years old.. and I love Half Life. So I have to assume that you just starting playing games, Half Life and CS have been part of my life for so many years that I lost the count . What makes this game special is something that a 35 years old person should understand better than any one. In many ways is an old school game were * game-play * is more important than graphics or over the top explosions. You see... before HD and advanced graphics became popular, was only one way to make a * good * game. Is about time that some one try's to make a game that is enjoyable and not just a High Definition must do thing. When I play this game, I can't stop thinking about games like Half Life,Thief or Freedom Fighters. Games were * game-play* was the most important thing. So YES this game is very SPECIAL.
#37 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
[QUOTE="stan_boyd"][QUOTE="mrsniper83"][QUOTE="stan_boyd"][QUOTE="mrsniper83"]He can have a opinion, thats why he posted this topic.I agree with him and I have no clue why this is rated so high.There really isn't anything that great about this game.I feel like I have played this before and it just gets hard to get into this game.I don't care what people are gonna say, this game did not deserve a 9 rating...maybe a 6mrsniper83

Dude i dont think your brain works....You bash me for having raiden as a pic and then you say mk deserves a 3, but i cant say that this game deserves a 6,talk about a hypocrite.I really dont know how we got on the subject of my profile pic but its clear to me your just posting to be an ass.I think the game derserves a 6, you think its a 10,move on hater.

Let me spell it out for you since you still don't get it. You said that Gamespot rated the game too high and that they should have given it a 6. I said that your rating is biased based on the fact that for whatever reason you don't like this game and that Gamespot can't really rate it like that. Just like they can't rate MK as a 3 just because they might not like it. MK is a good game for people that like that type of game, Dishonored is good for people that like this type of game. So its not your cup of tea, doesn't mean Gamespot rated it wrong. Just like MK is not my cup of tea but I don't think GS rated it wrong.
#38 Posted by Seven_Force (328 posts) -

[QUOTE="sbdb"]

. I've never been so confused by mass appeal for a 'bad' game since the Metro 2033 incident. Although, this is a thousand times better than Metro but still not going to hold my interest for very long. I will admit it though, I am rather picky when it comes to games. Glad you guys are enjoying it though. 

xninjagrrl
Metro 2033 is actually a very good game, minus the frustrating and poorly done stealth sections. Not really sure how you can call a game bad if it has mass appeal, stating that it didn't appeal to you is much different. If you don't like this game or Metro 2033 it would seem to me that outdated graphics/polish is your gripe, which has never been an issue for me.
#39 Posted by Simplythebest12 (25 posts) -

1) WHAT MAKES THE LATEST CALL OF DUTY CLONES SO HIGHLY RATED ??

2) WHAT MAKES DIABLO 3 SO HIGHLY RATED ??

3) WHAT MAKES BORDERLANDS 2 SO HIGHLY RATED ??

4) WHAT MAKES DARK SOULS (THE PC VERSION NOT PS3) SO HIGHLY RATED ??

Maybe you should make questions like that...

#40 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -

1) WHAT MAKES THE LATEST CALL OF DUTY CLONES SO HIGHLY RATED ??

2) WHAT MAKES DIABLO 3 SO HIGHLY RATED ??

3) WHAT MAKES BORDERLANDS 2 SO HIGHLY RATED ??

4) WHAT MAKES DARK SOULS (THE PC VERSION NOT PS3) SO HIGHLY RATED ??

Maybe you should make questions like that...

Simplythebest12
Those are easy to answer 1) Addictive multiplayer 2) Big name series that was beloved years ago returns, dumbed down a little but still returns, plus collecting loot can be addicting. 3) 4 player coop campaign, random weapon loot drops keeps you always wondering what you will get next, funny characters 4) I don't know this one actually, I hated dark souls, no story to keep me going just grinding through tough fights without any feeling of reward.
#41 Posted by semotus (41 posts) -
Reviewers aren't paid off, but to stay above water any popular gaming publication needs access to games before the general public. With advance copies, it can tell readers whether or not to buy before launch day rolls around. Without it, they're stuck reviewing after the fact and they're not going to get as high traffic. I doubt there was any particular pressure on reviewers to review this game, specifically, well, but it's not a good business practice to piss off the companies you're relying on to send you free, advanced copies of their games by pissing over said free, advanced copies of their games. Review scores tend to be high in general for this reason. There's a reason Yahtzee spent months only reviewing games that have already hit stores. (Not sure if he gets advanced copies now or not, but if he does I'm going to argue that he's the exception to the rule.) As for why this game is universally liked, I'm going to assume it's because: 1) The blending of platformer/action adventure/FPS mechanics is done seamlessly. 2) The game can be challenging along the lines of an FPS/hacknslash (how well can you kill all the guards) and/or a strategy level (finding the best way to sneak past everyone undetected). 3) The world is developed unobtrusively and deeply, without needing to rely on direct exposition/NPC dialogue: the codexes are actually gripping and believably written, etc. IMO the Heart is done brilliantly, best way to explore the story of a world I've seen in a long time. I killed 10 minutes after the tutorial level just hearing all the secrets about the people in the bar, and the bar itself. 4) The aesthetics of the game is unique and high quality. Likewise, the world of the game is unique in its composition, if not in its individual parts. 5) Players truly have the option to accomplish goals in however they see fit, in everything from how they move around the map to how they interact with NPCs to which way they choose to end their targets. Other games purport to give you "choice" (looking at you, Bioware) but tend to give you the /illusion/ of choice, or the "choice" of 1 of 2 different dialogue options leading to however many different cutscenes. This game actually allows you to pick what you're going to do on every single level, from gameplay to tactics to storyline.
#42 Posted by blueskyy_blue (12 posts) -

It's just....PLAIN.

SO, what gives?rsunset327

I actually agree with you. Here's my review of the game:

I'll be honest here. There isn't this one particular thing that would put Dishonored above all other games, but if you were to review the game, no matter which aspect you're looking into, there isn't anything in particular either that you would complain about. It is a great game, it just lacks the WOW factor.

The graphics is excellent, characters are well designed and well drawn, the countryside is beautiful and detailed and easy on the eye.

The voice acting are good. The narrative is fairly well done too. The gameplay is enjoyable. There are lots of weapons and powers you can play with. The weapons respond exceptionally well. The game is never dull and it's fast paced.

As for the technical aspect of the game. This is by far the best PC port I've seen of a game in recent years. The game menu is superb, navigation has never been so easy. The keyboard and mouse work flawlessly out of the box, and everything that should be customizable is customizable.

So you see? Although it seems like the same old same old to you, it isn't. Dishornored puts all of those components that you thought were the "same old" together, and makes it into a game like no other (game developer) had before. It's not an exceptional game, but it's a job well done nonetheless, especially when you compare it to the PC games nowadays.

ps: The PC game that I hated the most was once the most popular game on this planet. Guess what, it's GTA IV.

#43 Posted by 8bitg33k (6 posts) -

[QUOTE="Viliny"]

erMonezza

This is it.

As you get older and more experienced your tastes change.

People have to realise that you can't please everybody and that people tastes differ. It's not like if there is a guy that doesn't like a game that everyone does, means that he is a troll. That guy just has a different taste and prefers other things.

"Then, why did he post here if he doesn't like the game?" You may ask.

Because it's a forum and not everyone is a young kid who trolls for fun. ;)  

People like to express their oppinion and get oppinion from others about same hobbies they have.

cheers

Kudos! You are obviously very mature. Too many people take it personally when someone posts an opinion that is opposed to their own and react with sarcasm instead of participating in a constructive discussion.

#44 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

Let me list some of the vibes I got from this game.  City design, half life 2.  Stealth gameplay, Thief.  Action gameplay (if you choose to go this route, I wouldn't recommend it though), Bioshock.  Character design, Gangs Of New York.  Atmosphere and exploration, especially in the later stages of the game, Stalker.  Voice acting is top notch, story is top notch.  Everything about this game is top notch.

This is easily my game of the year, all of the influences I just listed are games I consider to be some of the greatest of all time.  It's very refreshing to get such a unique and high quality stealth game in this day and age, especially one with quality writing and a good story.

#45 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

-Super smooth gameplay

-The best working first person platforming I've ever seen

-Awesome takedowns and enemy designs

-Sneaking around in later missions is incredibly exciting

-Great visuals and art style AS LONG AS YOU HAVE YOUR BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST SET RIGHT or it will look horrible and washed out

-Cool powers with many more being unlocked later in the game

-Pretty enjoyable story

-Great atmosphere and backstory if you so desire to read the books, you will find out a lot about the world you are in the and characters in it

-Hidden items and unlockables

-So many paths to choose it's 100% play how you want to

-Replay value from story choices, sidequests and plain fun

My personal GOTY and I've bought nearly every A+ title this year.

#46 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -
And a whole lot of exploreable content btw. A single sidequest can take you to an entire new map.
#47 Posted by goreaffection_i (30 posts) -

Watch my first gameplay video ppl ............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7DDXpCETw