Is this game worth $60?

#1 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -

I want it, but i'm not paying $60 for a game thats short and no replay value.

#2 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -
Gamespot's review actually uses the words a game you'd want to play again. I know I will, and before I played it preview movies suggested that, but I've heard it's pretty short game about 12 hours max. I haven't beaten yet, so I'm a bit curious too.
#3 Posted by marcheegsr (2997 posts) -

I payed 60 taxes in for it today.

No regrets so far. Living up the the hype!

Loving the game so far.

#4 Posted by MamaMiia (580 posts) -

No replay value?  Try it on harder levels.  Try to make it through without killing anyone.  I think this game is totally worth the $60 and I'm very glad I preordered and bought it!

#5 Posted by charlievo (278 posts) -

easy basic mechanical and short game.  worth maybe 30 bucks if that

#6 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
This game reminds me alot of the old Deus Ex or Thief games, I think its worth every penny I spent.
#7 Posted by EvOlVE_3 (146 posts) -

I would say its worth $40ish. Im up to the second mission and ive already spent 7 hours. Mind you i love the stealthy approach and im aiming for a no kill playthrough which ive succeeded with so far.

#8 Posted by Jacanuk (5562 posts) -

I want it, but i'm not paying $60 for a game thats short and no replay value.

SonyNintendoFan
Short? so far i have spent around 20+ hours in game and i havent even got to the halfway mark, so the game is in noway short. And of course it has replay value, 1 playthrough with ghost/no detection 1 playthrough going crazy and just killing everyone, 1 playthrough where you dont go the granny rags missions, also there is the different powers, you get enough runes in the first 2 missions to let you have blink and possion. So yes the game is worth every cent of the 60$ price tag.
#9 Posted by qqxLV (111 posts) -

Depends on what kind of playstyle do you prefer.
For me, personally, it wasn't worth 60$. Why? Well, I just got sick of all the texts, books, uninteresting characters, boring storyline. Many things in the game felt unnecessary. For example, why should I spend 2 more hours in a level silently sneaking, when I can just slice everyones throats, maybe get in a combat here and there and I've done the level. Also as I've seen there is no award system if you complete the level as a ghost and not killing anybody.
BUT, if you're the "explorer" kind of gamer, who likes to pay attention to all the small details, do every level carefully and so on, then yes, perhaps for you it is worth the money.

#10 Posted by actiongamer1985 (250 posts) -
@qqxLV You are a great example of what is wrong with gamers this generation. They want to quickly shoot their way through every single game and want constant rewards (which COD 4 unfortunately started) for everything that they do. That's why so many franchises have turned into brain dead action oriented crap when they used to have lots of depth in the previous years. The average gamer today gets bored when a creative title like dishonored comes around because they don't have the brain power to appreciate the creativity that the developers put into the game. That's why microsoft gets away with releasing kinect bull **** instead of actual exclusives for the xbox 360. 10 years ago, if microsoft tried to push those types of games on that, almost every single gamer would have pointed and laughed at them. qqxLV please go back to the other 10,000 action oriented crap games out there and let us real gamers play this unique IP instead of coming on this board and whining.
#11 Posted by ppettie (25 posts) -

How can anyone spend that much time on this game and not be at least halfway through?  I finished the game with low chaos in under 12 hours.  The first person I killed was a shadow assassin in mission 7- so I didn't blast through the game.  I also picked up runes and various bone charms along the way.  I can justify two full play throughs of the game but anything more than that doesn't really make sense-  all the skills and powers only go to level two, even then you don't need/use them all.  I played the entire game without windblast or dark vision for example.  That's just my opinion though-

#12 Posted by PetJel (3724 posts) -

I payed 35 bucks for a new physical copy of the pc version but I would still recommend this game full price to anyone, it's so freaking good. And yes, it has amazing replay value.

You WILL want to play through the game a second time if the concept of this game even remotely interests you.

#13 Posted by q-bert39 (146 posts) -

@qqxLV You are a great example of what is wrong with gamers this generation. They want to quickly shoot their way through every single game and want constant rewards (which COD 4 unfortunately started) for everything that they do. That's why so many franchises have turned into brain dead action oriented crap when they used to have lots of depth in the previous years. The average gamer today gets bored when a creative title like dishonored comes around because they don't have the brain power to appreciate the creativity that the developers put into the game. That's why microsoft gets away with releasing kinect bull **** instead of actual exclusives for the xbox 360. 10 years ago, if microsoft tried to push those types of games on that, almost every single gamer would have pointed and laughed at them. qqxLV please go back to the other 10,000 action oriented crap games out there and let us real gamers play this unique IP instead of coming on this board and whining.actiongamer1985

So much fail in your logic. BTW dishonored was heavily borrowed from multiple similar games (most prominently metioned are bioshock, deus ex, and thief), i wouldnt exactly call it creative or unique IP. Now, when your apparent hype goggles wear off, probably some time soon, you should actually consider the mechanics of this game, especially before you call "us real gamers" to rally around dishonored as the last best hope.

I and many others have outlined this several times before, but the general reasons why we feel dishonored is not a great game are, imo, and in no special order:
1. Poorly written and realized story. The plot is dull, rather nonsensical (glaring plotholes), and extremely predictable.
2. The world is painfully shallow, and the background information (books notes etc) are badly disguised filler.
3. Uninteresting cast; besides emily and boat guy, everyone else is as memorable as the lisence plate on the back of your local garbage truck. The only other exception to this is Slackjaw, and only because he looks like he is straight out of Gangs of Newyork (he probably is). Daud would be cool, if he wasnt the epitome of a characterization stereotype.
4. The AI is generally pretty stupid; typical view cones, spot timers, but not much actual intelligence. Makes them very boring, predictable, and easy to abuse.
5. The stealth mechanics are so 2001; leaning mechanic is absurd, shadows are static, basic view cones/spot timers again make stealth a very dull and easy business.
5.5 Leaning actually deserves its own point. Leaning almost single handedly ruins the stealth by allowing you to virtually stand out of cover, while under cover, to observe everyone and everything around you in complete safety. Guards will never see you no matter how far out you lean, as long as most of your body is blocked by the object and it is infront of you.
6. The game is short, no matter how you slice it. Artificially extending the time by roleplaying stealth doesnt count.
7. Replayability is an illusion. Besides a few slightly different elements of the last mission and one short, boring cutscene, there is no reason to replay the game.
8. The spells are, like the story, dull and uninspired. Blink makes the already easy stealth a complete joke, and the deus ex/batman wall hacks are the final nail in the stealth coffin.
9. The game is extremely linear to the point where you almost feel on rails. You go where it wants you to go, and nowhere else (no, sidetracking to "Accessible House 1 of 2" to loot some gold coins doesnt count as non-linear).
10. While you do have "multiple ways to complete a mission," these are more "window or front door" type paths, and invariably lead to the same point. "Do you want to take the express way, or riverside today?"
11. The actual combat is poorly done. Swings feel weightless, and hits have little "impact." Guards also have this strange way of randomly going from bumbling rookie to Yoshimitsu during fights. They will sometimes dodge/backstep/parry your swings to the point of absurdity, all the while whittling your health down to nothing.
11.5 Often times melee hits wont register, especially if the guards have their gun out and are in the shooting animation.
12. Guards also have unlimited ammo and dont reload (hurray), so they can potentially stand there and shoot you to infinity (realism!).
13. Guards cant actually wake unconcious allies, nor can they put oil tanks back in their recepticals.
14. Knockout darts are extremely overpowered, essentially allowing you to one hit kill anything in the game, whereas bullets and standard bolts often take multiple shots.
15. The selection of usable weapons is also strange, as they are mostly explosive and loud, which doesnt exactly fit a stealth assassin.
16. The chaos system, while i guess different, also doesnt make much sense, and ends up punishing you for being an assassin, in a game entirely about assassinating people as an assassin.
17. The parry mechanic has an extremely large window, and makes combat very easy, which might explain why actually trying to fight and not parry spam has such unexpected effects.

Anyways, I probably left out a whole slew, especially related to the missions and stealth combat/assassinations, but you could probably come up with a bunch of reasons yourself, once dem goggles have worn off that is.

As you can see though, this game is definetly not a 9, 10 nor is it the game of the year/decade/universe that people seem to make it out to be.

*Bonus* The magic 8 ball conversations, while ranging between awkwardly amusing to moderately convincing at first, quickly become tiresome spam after the first mission or two.
"Hey do you want to meet at my place later for some drinks and maybe a blowjob?"
"It is most assuredly so."

#14 Posted by Dsolow5 (399 posts) -

If $60 makes you wince, you probably shouldn't be spending money on games anyway.

If you liked Deus Ex: HR, this is similar, but substantially better (HR had a lot of potential, but wasted almost all of it). There are more styles of play, more choices, and the upgrades are more interesting.

The guy above me points out a lot of flaws in the game, and it's definitely not "perfect" (what game is?). It is good though. Dishonored and Dark Souls are the only two 2012 PC games I'd recommend.

#15 Posted by q-bert39 (146 posts) -

Well, its not perfect for sure, and with some mods/enhancements it might even be "great". Some AI and much needed combat tweaks, along with changing the lean angle from 60 degrees (default, and full retard to around 15 degrees would be a good start. But the core problem is the AI really truly sucks, and not even just for a stealth game, and no amount of script changes can fix what isnt there.

#16 Posted by Drew1333 (40 posts) -
q-bert39,you hit the nail on the head...i am to lazy to type all that...but it is true.
#17 Posted by RevolverAce (983 posts) -

I dont really think it is. There is nothing really wrong with the game, but i just dont think its worth that much. I found the story not that interesting while i liked the setting.

#18 Posted by snake_c (4 posts) -

q-bert39 is right. But the game is fun anyway. I don't understand one thing though, when did gaming turn into conflict? Just play and enjoy. And this game is an enjoyable one. Of course if you think it's overpriced, then wait a while and buy something else instead. There are so many games out there. Am I wrong?

#19 Posted by James111wv (7 posts) -
Ive been thinking about getting this game and Im glad I came across this topic before doing so. The way it sounds to me is that its an enjoyable game but not much to it. I think I'll just hold off until price for it used or new comes way down sounds like a game that would be worth a 25-30$ purchase. I miss the days where you could easily spend 100 hours trying to beat a game im so tired of paying $60 for a game that takes so little effort in finishing.
#20 Posted by TheRealArtlover (7 posts) -
In my opinion, no, it is not worth $60. First, yes it IS short. I finished it in 14 hours, and I was messing around in the game a lot. Talking to everyone, not skipping anything, trying to collect all the runes (half of which I never used). If you don't dilly dally enjoying the scenery and just play, you can easily finish in 12 or less. Second, the story is unoriginal and predictable. Even the attempt at a twist ending was telegraphed and so obvious that there was no surprise. Seriously, the entire game from start to finish was me saying to myself; "I bet something or whatever is going to happen in a minute" and a minute later something or whatever happens to the letter. Something is wrong when you can exactly predict every single thing that happens in a game you've never played before. Very un Bethesda like. Third, mission based? Come on. Nothing ruins the flow and destroys immersion like having the game stop after every objective to give you a tally of how you did. Imagine if Fallout 3 or Skyrim did that. Again, very un Bethesda like. Fourth, atmosphere is just as unoriginal as the story. Take England, combine with BioShock and Half Life 2. So many game play elements and designs were cut & pasted from those two games that I can't believe that 2K Games and Valve haven't sued yet. To that end, you are better off just playing BioShock or HL2. Both are far more interesting and engaging. Fifth, graphics. I played the Xbox360 version and some of the textures were worse than a PSX game. Like the boat you find your self riding it all the time. Background objects and stuff you can't even interact with looked amazing, but the freaking boat you are standing in looks like crap by the standards of 3 generations ago. The whole game is like that, excellent textures here, total garbage there. You try to ignore it, but every time you turn around, a pathetically low texture is in your face. Fallout 3 looked better, and it's years older. Six, game play is mind numbingly basic and generic. The only remotely interesting bits are using the rune powers, and then only a couple of them are useful and even then only sometimes. Beyond that it shoot and slash. Side missions are a joke and mostly a waste of time. Half of them seem to have a destination that is the same as the main story, so it's like accept a side mission or not, either way your still going to the same place. Was it fun? Mildly, a few times. For the most part, I found it was more tedious than anything else, just going through the motions to advance the story hoping for something in the game to stand out and make it worth it. Never came. Petered out with a ridiculously easy ending that required no thought or skill at all. I finished the game by mistake when I accidentally fired my gun instead of zooming like I meant to. Again, something is wrong when you can win the game by accident just from fumbling the controls. $64.49 after tax. If Bethesda ever associates themselves with this kind of tripe again, I will never buy another Bethesda game again.
#21 Posted by jonaadams (110 posts) -

If this game is worth $60 then Skyrim is worth $300.

#22 Posted by Dsolow5 (399 posts) -

Skyrim is all content, no gameplay. Dishonored is all gameplay, no content.

#23 Posted by noize_suppress (101 posts) -

Purchased for 25 British pounds from Amazon, Only on the second mission and i am nearly 5 hours in, So its been worth it for me so far.

#24 Posted by adamg78 (636 posts) -

Dishonored is short if you did a speed run in this game I could see it being completed in 3 hours easy. awesome game but one of the shortest

#25 Posted by skipper847 (3599 posts) -

I payed £30on steam which is proly about $60 and i like it so far. One thing to remember its not an open world game but has big levels. This is why some people dont like it as they think it has open world as they think Bethesda studios made it but they only published and Arkane studios who did actualy made it along with bioshock 2 who did the Design, animation, and art for bioshock but the art and that have been improved loads for this more so on the lighting effect.

#26 Posted by fietswiel (3 posts) -

If $60 makes you wince, you probably shouldn't be spending money on games anyway.

If you liked Deus Ex: HR, this is similar, but substantially better (HR had a lot of potential, but wasted almost all of it). There are more styles of play, more choices, and the upgrades are more interesting.

The guy above me points out a lot of flaws in the game, and it's definitely not "perfect" (what game is?). It is good though. Dishonored and Dark Souls are the only two 2012 PC games I'd recommend.

Dsolow5

hurpdurp Dark Souls was released in 2011. But don't worry I didnt start playing untill late 2012 either.

edit >> My bad you were talking about the PC version. I didnt know this was released so much later. I stopped playing PC games a long long time ago.

#27 Posted by Keaze_ (276 posts) -

No replay value?  Try it on harder levels.  Try to make it through without killing anyone.  I think this game is totally worth the $60 and I'm very glad I preordered and bought it!

MamaMiia

Do harder levels make guards move around more and detect more easily?  Or do they only take less and deal more dmg?

#28 Posted by Keaze_ (276 posts) -

If this game is worth $60 then Skyrim is worth $300.

jonaadams

Bethesda's games should be on a designated rack alone by themselves in store, priced at 100$. Everyone would still buy them. When Skyrim came out and I went to the store I picked up a copy, the shelf said 59 $. I was almost shy to take the game for only 59$, same price you pay for every 5 hour crappy botched games.

#31 Posted by TractorFry (4 posts) -
I got this for 45 bucks from Target...I think, well, you know, it's a little boring. And it's short. I guess I understand the love from fans, but it seems disproportionate to the actual value and fun in the game. It's a well made game, does something different, but I found it a little dull.
#32 Posted by TractorFry (4 posts) -
You forgot to mention that when you do level up magic powers, some become so powerful that you basically walk through levels. The spell that calls the rat horde, for instance - once you get that to level 2 they could devour an elephant in about ten seconds. I feel like this game appealed to tired and busy reviewers who don't spend as much time with the product as actual gamers.