Didnt live up to the Hype

#1 Posted by charlievo (277 posts) -

i beat the game in about 6 hours.  Game is have very basic mechanic and short.  Great story, but fail in execution.  I don't see how Editor gave it a 9.0.  Unless someone is getting paid.   

#2 Posted by MuffintopX (869 posts) -
I'm sorry to tell you, but it is a stealth game not an action game. They only allowed quick action playthroughs like yours because they needed to know they could sell more to people like you in order to get their stealth game made.
#3 Posted by Flubbbs (3162 posts) -

im a little over 4 hours in and i just finished my first assassination mission

#4 Posted by Fandango_Letho (5412 posts) -

i beat the game in about 6 hours.  Game is have very basic mechanic and short.  Great story, but fail in execution.  I don't see how Editor gave it a 9.0.  Unless someone is getting paid.   

charlievo
Dishonored is a modern masterpiece, standing side by side with BioShock and ME1 in my books.
#5 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

It was ok, but the stealth mechanics are a bit lacking. This game should have had a "wall hugging" mechanic to be truly good at stealth. The whole leaning around corners action was completely absurd. I could stand and lean around a pillar so my entire screen was off of the pillar, being 5 feet infront of a guard and he was oblivious to me pointing a crossbow in his face. But if i didnt lean, and even came a toe out from behind the pillar, he would instantly spot me. The whole idea of very hard is also silly, because these low IQ commoner thugs, guards, and plague zombies should not be incredibly perceptive and keen, and kinda breaks the RP element.

At the moment, blink is very glitchy and unreliable, and it quickly becomes frustrating trying to teleport to a nearby ledge, often taking many attempts wasting mana, or you have to spend a long time to aim it right. The vertical range is far too short, making it so you can barely even get to a ledge one story above you, and the horizontal range appears to change based on location or something because it doesnt seem very consistent.

As for "all the hundereds of ways to complete a mission," well i see that as just filler. Often the most direct approach is the most rewarding, time efficient, and easiest. Looking for other ways is fun sometimes, but often they have one "golden" pathway to your target, and straying from that can be tedious or overly dangerous.

Good game though i guess. I may do a nokill run, but i am thinking it would be quite boring, and not that difficult. The knockout dart is EXTREMELY overpowered, and is almost always better than the normal bolt or the flame/detonator bolt. In a certain mission against a certain formidable character who has traits similar to your own, you can end the whole thing by shooting him in the leg with the sleeper dart before he even sees you and then killing/letting him go.

I dont know about no detections, because the AI is glitchy, and sometmes see you and detect you a mile away, and sometimes you can be right infront of them and they dont see **** so that might just be frustrating.

#6 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

Also i forgot to mention, some of the powers are rather useless as well. Like the wind for example; its loud, it doesnt do that much damage, and it uses a lot of mana, so all its really good for is killing rats, which you shouldnt have a problem with. The mind control is alright, but it makes the game extremely easy (almost every assassination mission has a direct path to the target via mindcontrolling a fish/rat) and allows you to complete missions in only 10 or so minutes. Time stop is alright, but its only useful in a big fight, allowing you to kill multiple opponents, which you shouldnt need to do anyways. The deus ex wall hacks are ok, but again they make the game VERY easy.

The rats are fun to use, but unnnecessary and broken, because due to some retarded logic on the part of the devs/programmers, using rats alerts GUARDS to your presence, even if you use them completely hidden, the guards for some reason know it was you who killed someone. I guess the guards have some innate knowledge of the black magic used to cast these rats, so they know corvo must be here in the building, and "better come out or else."

One last thing. The magic 8 ball conversations from the guards get EXTREMELY annoying after a while.

Guard 1: Hey, do you think you're going to get a promotion after last night?
Guard 2: It is decidedly so.
*walk away awkwardly*

#7 Posted by sbdb (436 posts) -

The fact that you beat the game in 6 hours just shows that you have no clue what this game is all about...sigh

#8 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -
trained soldiers need a high IQ to notice someone skulking around in the dark? oh
#9 Posted by mcpeepants23200 (398 posts) -

TS is full of poop. If he beat the game in 6 hours he literally must of did no side quests, got no runes, and did no exploration. Even then he must of played it on the easiest mode.

#10 Posted by with_teeth26 (6191 posts) -

charlievo

I've played 6 hours and have just completed the second assassination mission... I'm not even doing a OCD playthrough either, I usually live with my mistakes and haven't been exploring every areas. 

Some people probably just blindly follow the quest markers and don't take any time to look around. 

#11 Posted by kelt321 (2198 posts) -

What I just finished my 1 mission and that took me forever. I did explore a lot, got all the runes and bones, did a lot of stealth, a bit of action when detected, but 6 hours is way too short

#12 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

What Hype ? This game hasn't actually gotten that much hype to be honest, a minority were hyping it to be 9.0 (which it deserves). If you beat the game in 6 hours then this game clearly wasn't for you, don't really know why you bought it.

#13 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
It more than made my expectation, it reminds me of older games I love like Thief and Deus Ex.
#14 Posted by ddrfreak62 (84 posts) -

It took me at least 4 hours to finish first assassination mission. Granted I am doing a no kill run, and I'm grabbing all the runes and extra stuff.

#15 Posted by greg55556666 (10 posts) -

I agree with you on that one, I am 4 hours in and still on my first assassination as I am doing all side quests and stealth play.

New Dishonored Hints and Tips video up on my youtube channel: hoodholmes666.

Dishonored Hints And Tips - PC Gameplay HD

http://youtu.be/CWxtwRqmBV0

Take alook at my new video, how you could not enjoy this game baffles me, it is fressh, with lovely graphics, smooth gameplay and really enjoyable.

Many Thanks

hoodholmes666

#16 Posted by Jacanuk (4770 posts) -

It was ok, but the stealth mechanics are a bit lacking. This game should have had a "wall hugging" mechanic to be truly good at stealth. The whole leaning around corners action was completely absurd. I could stand and lean around a pillar so my entire screen was off of the pillar, being 5 feet infront of a guard and he was oblivious to me pointing a crossbow in his face. But if i didnt lean, and even came a toe out from behind the pillar, he would instantly spot me. The whole idea of very hard is also silly, because these low IQ commoner thugs, guards, and plague zombies should not be incredibly perceptive and keen, and kinda breaks the RP element.

At the moment, blink is very glitchy and unreliable, and it quickly becomes frustrating trying to teleport to a nearby ledge, often taking many attempts wasting mana, or you have to spend a long time to aim it right. The vertical range is far too short, making it so you can barely even get to a ledge one story above you, and the horizontal range appears to change based on location or something because it doesnt seem very consistent.

As for "all the hundereds of ways to complete a mission," well i see that as just filler. Often the most direct approach is the most rewarding, time efficient, and easiest. Looking for other ways is fun sometimes, but often they have one "golden" pathway to your target, and straying from that can be tedious or overly dangerous.

Good game though i guess. I may do a nokill run, but i am thinking it would be quite boring, and not that difficult. The knockout dart is EXTREMELY overpowered, and is almost always better than the normal bolt or the flame/detonator bolt. In a certain mission against a certain formidable character who has traits similar to your own, you can end the whole thing by shooting him in the leg with the sleeper dart before he even sees you and then killing/letting him go.

I dont know about no detections, because the AI is glitchy, and sometmes see you and detect you a mile away, and sometimes you can be right infront of them and they dont see **** so that might just be frustrating.

q-bert39
Try playing the game on very hard and not on easy, then you might see a different "AI" from the guards in regards to stealth. Also your critic points clearly shows this game isent for you, because the direct way is not the most rewarding, i could run in kill everyone and the target and then get the mission done, but then i would miss the entire game and miss all the great sidemissions and loot there is. Blink is not glitched or anything, its just that you dont know how to use it properly, and the sleepdart is not overpowered, what did you expect from the dart? you hit someone with a dart then 5min later they fall a sleep? well how do you think that would make them react. And also have you ever seen how they work in the real world? because its pretty damn close to the effect you see in game. Also i havent seen any problems with detection, sometimes though it does seem like their speech is bugged, so they say "we have a prowler" when you havent been detected, but thats about it.
#17 Posted by 8bitg33k (6 posts) -

i beat the game in about 6 hours.  Game is have very basic mechanic and short.  Great story, but fail in execution. I don't see how Editor gave it a 9.0.  Unless someone is getting paid.   

charlievo

I agree 100%. The story is kinda cool but the simple and repetetive gameplay ruin the experience. And as for reviews and scores, the review world is full of bias, hype and gullbible readers.

#18 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

Try playing the game on very hard and not on easy, then you might see a different "AI" from the guards in regards to stealth. Also your critic points clearly shows this game isent for you, because the direct way is not the most rewarding, i could run in kill everyone and the target and then get the mission done, but then i would miss the entire game and miss all the great sidemissions and loot there is. Blink is not glitched or anything, its just that you dont know how to use it properly, and the sleepdart is not overpowered, what did you expect from the dart? you hit someone with a dart then 5min later they fall a sleep? well how do you think that would make them react. And also have you ever seen how they work in the real world? because its pretty damn close to the effect you see in game. Also i havent seen any problems with detection, sometimes though it does seem like their speech is bugged, so they say "we have a prowler" when you havent been detected, but thats about it.Jacanuk

Ive beaten the game on hard with the evil/high chaos ending and on nokill, no detections on very hard with the good ending. The AI is bad regardless of difficulty. I am guessing the only thing that changes in NPCs are maybe their vision cone radius, the spot distance/range, the time delay between seeing and spotting, and the speed at which they go from level 1 to level 3 deteciton. None of this does anything to fix the abysmal leaning mechanic, which on its own makes the game extremely easy. I mean you can stand with your body around 25% already exposed and lean over from a 2 foot wide pillar while carrying a body on your shoulders, just feet away from a patrolling guard in broad daylight and his line of sight, and you dont get detected... come on.) That is skyrim-bad stealth mechanics.

The sleep dart while possibly realistic is still very overpowered in this game, because unlike tranqs, bullets in most games are not realistic and do not kill/incipacitate an unarmored target in one shot. Same with crossbow bolts. So now we have sleepdarts that "kill" in one hit guaranteed, whereas our bolts/bullets generally always take multiple shots. There arent really that many tough single opponents in this game, let alone in each mission, so 10 is more than enough. Maybe a 1 dart cap would be more balanced.

As for your remark about rushing, i never said i rushed. You can approach the missions any way you want. It just so happens that the direct way is not only the quickest, but also the most rewarding. This is due mostly to the bad AI, where instead of spending 30 minutes sneaking and plotting my attack on a room/building, i can just walk in, abuse the **** out of the leaning mechanic, bullet/bolt every guard in the area, and then proceeed to my target. Why can i do this? Because there are very little concequences for being direct, the AI is not good enough to penalize me for going on a rampage. I am not talking about raising alarms, etc (which btw is stupid in its own right, just remove the oil cans on the security devices and the guards cant put them back in... COME ON) but rather that the guards in the adjacent rooms/locations usually do not respond to fighting, even if you use bullets/grenades. So i can clear a room by the direct kill approach just as efficiently as silently knocking out each guard or killing them quietly, because my actions have little to no impact on the other guards or locations in the mission.

Blink IS badly implemented (and im not talking about how easy it makes this game), especially for controllers (this is a known issue). For mice it's ok, but if you play with a gamepad it is god aweful, and often times overly frustrating trying to get the ledge-grabbing icon to appear.

Maybe you're right though, and this game isnt for me, because i actually want a challenge in my stealth games. Also in the real world, you dont shoot people with bolt sized tranq darts out of a crossbow, as the impact would probably just kill them outright.

Some of these issues may be solved by a patch, but they cant really fix the AI intelligence problems, and the leaning mechanic is just DOA for a true stealth game, so all you can do, as a serious stealth player is not use it (along with blink etc).

#19 Posted by Jacanuk (4770 posts) -

Ive beaten the game on hard with the evil/high chaos ending and on nokill, no detections on very hard with the good ending. The AI is bad regardless of difficulty. I am guessing the only thing that changes in NPCs are maybe their vision cone radius, the spot distance/range, the time delay between seeing and spotting, and the speed at which they go from level 1 to level 3 deteciton. None of this does anything to fix the abysmal leaning mechanic, which on its own makes the game extremely easy. I mean you can stand with your body around 25% already exposed and lean over from a 2 foot wide pillar while carrying a body on your shoulders, just feet away from a patrolling guard in broad daylight and his line of sight, and you dont get detected... come on.) That is skyrim-bad stealth mechanics.q-bert39

I must admit i can recognize one single point here in my game, yes the game havent made the Guard AI 100% perfect, but considering so many other games, its no worse then 90% of whats out there and if you want you can always find faults.

But one thing you can see in Dishonored is a difference between Very hard and Normal/Hard, in the last two you can almost stand on top of the guards and jump around without them seeing anything where in very hard, lean just a tad to far and you will get spotted instantly.

The vision range doesnt change, it just becomes more realistic, it does how ever change how fast it goes from white to red "lighthing"

In regards to the leaning, its a game not a simulator and yes visually the leaning looks wrong and it sometimes looks like your standing almost in full view, but thats poorly visual and again its such a small thing.

I guess tho not a small thing for you and from your posts the game is clearly not for you.

The sleep dart while possibly realistic is still very overpowered in this game, because unlike tranqs, bullets in most games are not realistic and do not kill/incipacitate an unarmored target in one shot. Same with crossbow bolts. So now we have sleepdarts that "kill" in one hit guaranteed, whereas our bolts/bullets generally always take multiple shots. There arent really that many tough single opponents in this game, let alone in each mission, so 10 is more than enough. Maybe a 1 dart cap would be more balanced.

Of course the sleeping darts isent overpowered, its a sleeping dart, how did you intend for it to work? you shoot and then 15mins later the guards fall asleep? or you shoot the guard yells out 100 guards are on top you? or do you mean that one dart is not enough to get someone to sleep? because i can promise that if a 2inch 15cm´s dart with tranq. in can get a 2 ton elefant to sleep, it will be able to get a 180pound guard to sleep within seconds.

Also sleeping darts doesnt kill they get people to sleep and as mentioned above, you can call your local zoo and get a confirmation that if needed they have darts that can get a 600 pound lion or a 2 ton Elefant to sleep within a very short time.

And 10 darts are high but its certainly not to much, not in my opinon at least.

As for your remark about rushing, i never said i rushed. You can approach the missions any way you want. It just so happens that the direct way is not only the quickest, but also the most rewarding. This is due mostly to the bad AI, where instead of spending 30 minutes sneaking and plotting my attack on a room/building, i can just walk in, abuse the **** out of the leaning mechanic, bullet/bolt every guard in the area, and then proceeed to my target. Why can i do this? Because there are very little concequences for being direct, the AI is not good enough to penalize me for going on a rampage. I am not talking about raising alarms, etc (which btw is stupid in its own right, just remove the oil cans on the security devices and the guards cant put them back in... COME ON) but rather that the guards in the adjacent rooms/locations usually do not respond to fighting, even if you use bullets/grenades. So i can clear a room by the direct kill approach just as efficiently as silently knocking out each guard or killing them quietly, because my actions have little to no impact on the other guards or locations in the mission.

You clearly rush through the game, no where in this game is the direct way the most rewarding, unless you dont consider Bone charms, runes, sidemissions, character story, loot and safes/paintings rewarding. And also in a game like dishonored where you have countless options, the goal isent to complete the mission fast or be so restricted by the game devs, that you are forced to play a certain way.

So ya you could do like you but i for one dont like to play that way, i play it for the stealth not to rush in shoot everyone get some white lighting and then get a mission end, despite it might be no kill and no detection.

So your critic here is again in my opinion not valid, because you might not want to play the game stealth, but since the game is about options its kinda not a vaild critic to say "hey this game gives me options and i dont want to use some of them, so the game is faulty"

Also if guards could just put the whaletank in again, it would defeat the game mechanics in that regard, its the same with every other stealth game out there, you choke a guard, take him and hide him. Like the other guards cant notice that suddenly Peter isent answering his walkie or suddenly the guard walking on the other side cant see Peter walk anymore.

Its a game not a simulator so it seems like you just look for faults here, and clearly in that regard, no game will ever be good enough.

They do also respond but if you consider the noice level in that kind of envoriment, its not always people hear things even if it happen right in the next room. It all depends on the wall material and how good it carries sound. So again its a game not a simulator of real life conditions

Blink IS badly implemented (and im not talking about how easy it makes this game), especially for controllers (this is a known issue). For mice it's ok, but if you play with a gamepad it is god aweful, and often times overly frustrating trying to get the ledge-grabbing icon to appear

Hmm, going to plug in my gamepad and check it out, but its never been a secret that gamepads are a poor substituion for a mouse and keyboard in a game like Dishonored, these kind of games are just meant for keyboard and mouse, so right now i cant see your critic in regards to blink, but its something that can be fixed quite fast, so lets hope arkane sees it as a bug and goes to work on a fix.

Maybe you're right though, and this game isnt for me, because i actually want a challenge in my stealth games. Also in the real world, you dont shoot people with bolt sized tranq darts out of a crossbow, as the impact would probably just kill them outright.

Some of these issues may be solved by a patch, but they cant really fix the AI intelligence problems, and the leaning mechanic is just DOA for a true stealth game, so all you can do, as a serious stealth player is not use it (along with blink etc).

Ya, i dont think this game is for you, it seems like its simply to open, to depended on you as a gamer wanting to play stealthy.

But again i cant see the problem with challanges in regards to no kill no detection stealth, in fact a whole lot of people think its way to hard.

But for argument sake, what game is your kind of stealth game?

#20 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

I must admit i can recognize one single point here in my game, yes the game havent made the Guard AI 100% perfect, but considering so many other games, its no worse then 90% of whats out there and if you want you can always find faults.

But one thing you can see in Dishonored is a difference between Very hard and Normal/Hard, in the last two you can almost stand on top of the guards and jump around without them seeing anything where in very hard, lean just a tad to far and you will get spotted instantly.

The vision range doesnt change, it just becomes more realistic, it does how ever change how fast it goes from white to red "lighthing"

In regards to the leaning, its a game not a simulator and yes visually the leaning looks wrong and it sometimes looks like your standing almost in full view, but thats poorly visual and again its such a small thing.

I guess tho not a small thing for you and from your posts the game is clearly not for you.

Of course the sleeping darts isent overpowered, its a sleeping dart, how did you intend for it to work? you shoot and then 15mins later the guards fall asleep? or you shoot the guard yells out 100 guards are on top you? or do you mean that one dart is not enough to get someone to sleep? because i can promise that if a 2inch 15cm´s dart with tranq. in can get a 2 ton elefant to sleep, it will be able to get a 180pound guard to sleep within seconds.

Also sleeping darts doesnt kill they get people to sleep and as mentioned above, you can call your local zoo and get a confirmation that if needed they have darts that can get a 600 pound lion or a 2 ton Elefant to sleep within a very short time.

And 10 darts are high but its certainly not to much, not in my opinon at least.

You clearly rush through the game, no where in this game is the direct way the most rewarding, unless you dont consider Bone charms, runes, sidemissions, character story, loot and safes/paintings rewarding. And also in a game like dishonored where you have countless options, the goal isent to complete the mission fast or be so restricted by the game devs, that you are forced to play a certain way.

So ya you could do like you but i for one dont like to play that way, i play it for the stealth not to rush in shoot everyone get some white lighting and then get a mission end, despite it might be no kill and no detection.

So your critic here is again in my opinion not valid, because you might not want to play the game stealth, but since the game is about options its kinda not a vaild critic to say "hey this game gives me options and i dont want to use some of them, so the game is faulty"

Also if guards could just put the whaletank in again, it would defeat the game mechanics in that regard, its the same with every other stealth game out there, you choke a guard, take him and hide him. Like the other guards cant notice that suddenly Peter isent answering his walkie or suddenly the guard walking on the other side cant see Peter walk anymore.

Its a game not a simulator so it seems like you just look for faults here, and clearly in that regard, no game will ever be good enough.

They do also respond but if you consider the noice level in that kind of envoriment, its not always people hear things even if it happen right in the next room. It all depends on the wall material and how good it carries sound. So again its a game not a simulator of real life conditions

Hmm, going to plug in my gamepad and check it out, but its never been a secret that gamepads are a poor substituion for a mouse and keyboard in a game like Dishonored, these kind of games are just meant for keyboard and mouse, so right now i cant see your critic in regards to blink, but its something that can be fixed quite fast, so lets hope arkane sees it as a bug and goes to work on a fix.

Ya, i dont think this game is for you, it seems like its simply to open, to depended on you as a gamer wanting to play stealthy.

But again i cant see the problem with challanges in regards to no kill no detection stealth, in fact a whole lot of people think its way to hard.

But for argument sake, what game is your kind of stealth game?

Jacanuk

You seem to be throwing around the typical "this isnt a simulator/real life, its a game" defense, but the problem with that logic is it can be applied to virtually any fault in a video game, so it has no real weight as far as an argument/debate goes. As i've said, ive played it both stealth and action, and the stealth just isnt up to par, especially since this is the game's main draw. My ideal stealth game would be something along the lines of splinter cell, especially the first. I know its old now but they really had the right ideas for a good true stealth game. Deus ex HR was alright as well, though it suffered from some similar problems as dishonored.

The difficulty increase that you're talking about between hard and very hard is exactly what i said it is. There is a lower mercy/lenience timer on spotting (the point where you are visible to the guard and the point where he begins to react), an increased spotting speed (going from "what was that?" to "oh **** its corvo"), an increased spotting distance/range, and probably an increased radius too (increased vision cone above/below their horizon). I am sure they also have a lower noise threshold as well, but the problem is that stuff is very basic, and there is no real increase in actual AI intelligence. They really botched the noise system in this game, as i've found and tested at various points i can set off grenades, exploding bolts, shoot bullets, etc, totally massacring a room full of guards, and in the immediate adjacent room the guards will have no idea. This is especially bad at the brothel house.

My main problem with dishonored is that it tries so hard to be everything, it just ends up as a poor emulation of a real stealth game, and an inconsistent and rather clunky fps/sword fighting game. The shadows are static, the AI detection is very basic (for a stealth game), and besides the detection, the acutal AI scripts give the enemies a very inconsistent intelligence or "skill." I could be fighting your standard joe schmo guard, and he would randomly switch between recklessly-charging-bumbling-idiot redshirt guard to ninja gaiden-final boss guard during the fight. He would go from never blocking and never dodging to furiously backstepping and evading my wild slashes in rapid succession with raiden-like reflexes all the while hitting me between my slashes. This would have been quite impressive and spectacular swordplay if not for the fact that i was fighting a common guard, and not Morihei Ueshiba. This type of combat inconsistency makes playing with the sword as your primary weapon frustrating and eventually tiresome from repeated and often unfair deaths (especially vs multiple guards). Now, i know you can just spam parry, but the parry mechanic is far too easily exploited in this game to be enjoyable, especially since the window is so large and it guarantees a 1 hit kill, so i usually just try to block to make it interesting.

In all, the game just feels very gimmicky and stretched too thin with too many different elements, and really fits the "jack of all trades" adage. This is 2012 now, games shouldnt have the same AI issues they had back in 2000 (this might also be partially due to console limitations). Also, the point i was trying to make about the sleep dart is that it just feels awkwardly overpowered. Bullets generally dont kill guards in one hit unless its a headshot, same with bolts, yet you have this magic dart that instantly takes down anyone you want no matter where you shoot them, guaranteed. What i am trying to say is i used the sleeping darts more in my action run than my stealth run, because they were just more powerful than anything else (even grenades didnt consistently one-hit unless they were of close proximity).

Anyways i hope this clarifies my issues with the game.

#21 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

If you don't like this game then you don't like stealth games.

Or you have poor taste.  Just sayin.

#22 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -
6 hours lol you just ruined your own experience. if you sneak, immerse yourself into exploration and sidequests and take any effort in avoiding detection a single mission can take 3 hours.
#23 Posted by sumdood (482 posts) -

6 hours lol you just ruined your own experience. if you sneak, immerse yourself into exploration and sidequests and take any effort in avoiding detection a single mission can take 3 hours.PetJel

If you sneak, hide, and go to sleep a single mission can take 8 hours.  It's a good game with an excellent atmosphere and it makes a great first impression; this is why I think reviews are so high.  But after a few hours you realize the gameplay is repetitive and uninspired.  A good game, worth $30-40.  Not a game people will be talking about 3-5 years from now though.

#24 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

[QUOTE="PetJel"]6 hours lol you just ruined your own experience. if you sneak, immerse yourself into exploration and sidequests and take any effort in avoiding detection a single mission can take 3 hours.sumdood

If you sneak, hide, and go to sleep a single mission can take 8 hours.  It's a good game with an excellent atmosphere and it makes a great first impression; this is why I think reviews are so high.  But after a few hours you realize the gameplay is repetitive and uninspired.  A good game, worth $30-40.  Not a game people will be talking about 3-5 years from now though.

Exactly. As i said you can artifically extend the game, but 9 missions is 9 missions, and each can be easily completed in under one hour. If immersion means to pointlessly spend hours and hours sneaking around, being careful as can be, when your adversary is legally blind, hard of hearing (unless you arent crouching), and has a serious issue with problem solving ("Oh god, the oil tank fell out of its receptical, WHAT DO I DO?"), then i feel truly sorry for you.

And please people, if you actually RUSHED this game, it could probably be done in 3-4 hours. I could play the COD single player in always crouch mode the exact same way as dishonored and "immerse" myself, but that doesnt mean the campaign is still only 4 hours.

#25 Posted by 2bitSmOkEy (2713 posts) -

[QUOTE="sumdood"]

[QUOTE="PetJel"]6 hours lol you just ruined your own experience. if you sneak, immerse yourself into exploration and sidequests and take any effort in avoiding detection a single mission can take 3 hours.q-bert39

If you sneak, hide, and go to sleep a single mission can take 8 hours. It's a good game with an excellent atmosphere and it makes a great first impression; this is why I think reviews are so high. But after a few hours you realize the gameplay is repetitive and uninspired. A good game, worth $30-40. Not a game people will be talking about 3-5 years from now though.

Exactly. As i said you can artifically extend the game, but 9 missions is 9 missions, and each can be easily completed in under one hour. If immersion means to pointlessly spend hours and hours sneaking around, being careful as can be, when your adversary is legally blind, hard of hearing (unless you arent crouching), and has a serious issue with problem solving ("Oh god, the oil tank fell out of its receptical, WHAT DO I DO?"), then i feel truly sorry for you.

And please people, if you actually RUSHED this game, it could probably be done in 3-4 hours. I could play the COD single player in always crouch mode the exact same way as dishonored and "immerse" myself, but that doesnt mean the campaign is still only 4 hours.

I do see your point but you're looking at it the wrong way. You aren't "artificially" extending the life of Dishonored by playing it steathily, that's just another way to play the game (and imo, the more interesting way to go about it). Just give it a try, the game is much more fun playing through it without killing anyone.

#26 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

[QUOTE="sumdood"]

[QUOTE="PetJel"]6 hours lol you just ruined your own experience. if you sneak, immerse yourself into exploration and sidequests and take any effort in avoiding detection a single mission can take 3 hours.q-bert39

I upped the difficulty and turned off the objective highlighting, and went for a mostly stealth approach with some combat mixed in. That's the way I knew I would enjoy the game the most and so I did. The fact that you can run through in 3 hours is irrelevant, you are playing it for your own enjoyment and I'm fine if my playstyle drags out the length of the game. You can speedrun any game. Creating an enjoyable experience is what games are all about.
#27 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

If someone is complaining that repeating missions in different ways is 'artificially extending the life of the game' then ignore them.

The genre will clearly not be for them, and thus the awesome design of games such as Deus Ex, Thief, SS etc are completely lost on them.

#28 Posted by behrawar (18 posts) -

i agree.. this game wasnt that awesome as it was shown to be.. it is a good game.. i beat the game in about 6 hours myself... for me the game was too short and the story looked a bit dull to me... there was nothing original in the story... when you get to kill the two blokes who betray u in the start it became obvious that i was gonna get double crossed, cause common sense dictates that way... a true stealth based game for me is thief 3, i dont know why game developers are decreasing the difficulty of games... there is no more challenge, even in stealth games... 

good game but no where near a 9/editor choice... 

#29 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

Speedrunning is trying to "complete" the game as quickly as possible, with everything else coming second. Speedrunning does not equal playing pure action.

Additionally, there's playing stealth, and then there's roleplaying stealth. Which are these people doing? Because "roleplaying" as far as game mechanics generally means you are compensating for a lack of percieved realism in order to meet your own percieved standards of that roll (often by doing unnecessary/disadvantageous things to keep in character). Ie these people are compensating for the generally weak stealth mechanics and short campaign by dragging it out as much as they can, while imposing artificial disadvantages on themselves to make the weak stealth more of a challenge. This is a common thing to do in most games, but there is one problem with this being used for arguments. You've heard of hardcore mode, naked run, solo, no leveling, etc. in games like dark souls, baldurs gate, and a billion other games i am sure. Well, these are also a form of roleplaying, and these also impose artificial disadvantages and other compensations to heighten the difficulty or realism of the roll. Just like a naked run, roleplaying stealth is not playing the game the way it is meant to be played either, or in other words, this is not playing the "default" game.

Here is an example of the logic most people are trying to use. Say Skyrim takes 10 hours to beat the main quest, and most people spend about 40 hours on the game doing the cooler side quest lines, giving an average gameplay time of 50 hours for relative "completion" (these are arbitrary numbers). Then a guy comes along and says "No, Skyrim takes over 2000 hours to complete, if you never fast travel, never ride a horse, do every single quest, and only gain skill by doing "x" instead of the fast/efficient way." Arguing with them usually leads to something like "you are playing the game wrong, this game obviously isnt for you, you are obviously rushing, thats a speedrun, i play it the way it was meant to be played." But, as you can see from my above paragraph, this type of logic can be used both ways.

In fact it doesnt really matter how long it takes for an individual to complete the game, its the average that is most significant. It can take one guy 3 hours, and one guy 40 hours, but the normal distribution will still show that the average is 8, and that is how long it will take most people to complete (arbitrary numbers).

#30 Posted by Dsolow5 (399 posts) -

It's a very good game. It's essentially a significantly better version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and that game was pretty solid.

#31 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -

What Hype ? This game hasn't actually gotten that much hype to be honest, a minority were hyping it to be 9.0 (which it deserves). If you beat the game in 6 hours then this game clearly wasn't for you, don't really know why you bought it.

Blake135
it seemed really hyped up to me, the preview blew my mind when I saw it. it was just a short amount of time until it was released
#32 Posted by fisher289 (332 posts) -

Deus Ex: Human Revolution does the do missions the way you want better. Boss fights while going stealth aside it's still fantastic. Also the fights are extremely possible