Are they any books that have a similar story line to Dishonored?

#1 Posted by rjcadet7 (187 posts) -

I want to read a book that has the same dark atmosphere as Dishonored. Any Recommedations?

#2 Posted by MamaMiia (580 posts) -

I hope you get lots of good recommendations, and I'll just make one, a real classic -- "The Count of Monte Cristo."

#3 Posted by WoZe (52 posts) -

Books? o_O

#4 Posted by snap-dragon (46 posts) -

I'm so glad you asked. I was just thinking this last night. I was already planning to read Count of Monte Cristo after I finish the book I'm currently reading, but more suggestions would be appreciated.

#5 Posted by geosurface (36 posts) -

I want to read a book that has the same dark atmosphere as Dishonored. Any Recommedations?

rjcadet7

My librarian gf who likes steam punk books suggested these:

• the disgraced protector on a quest to save the queen, try "The diamond throne" by David Eddings (genre: high fantasy) or "The looking glass wars" by Frank Beddor (parallel universe, Alice in Wonderland).
  • steampunk, try "The girl in the steel corset" by Kady Cross (for gritty streets and automatons), "Soulless" by Gail Carriger (lighter romance with supernaturals), "The clockwork angel" by Cassandra Clare (more supernaturals), or "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest (for a little zombie action).
  • rats and plague, try "The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents" by Terry Pratchett (satire loosely based on Pied Piper)
#6 Posted by snap-dragon (46 posts) -

[QUOTE="rjcadet7"]

geosurface

My librarian gf who likes steam punk books suggested these:

• the disgraced protector on a quest to save the queen, try "The diamond throne" by David Eddings (genre: high fantasy) or "The looking glass wars" by Frank Beddor (parallel universe, Alice in Wonderland).
  • steampunk, try "The girl in the steel corset" by Kady Cross (for gritty streets and automatons), "Soulless" by Gail Carriger (lighter romance with supernaturals), "The clockwork angel" by Cassandra Clare (more supernaturals), or "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest (for a little zombie action).
  • rats and plague, try "The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents" by Terry Pratchett (satire loosely based on Pied Piper)

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got plenty to read now. 

#7 Posted by MamaMiia (580 posts) -

Geosurface, I also thank you very much for those book suggestions!

#8 Posted by semotus (41 posts) -

I hope you get lots of good recommendations, and I'll just make one, a real classic -- "The Count of Monte Cristo."

MamaMiia
I was just going to suggest this. Dishonored is basically The Count, plus steampunk. I've read a book with the same atmosphere as this game, but the setting is more scifi: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick. Wicked by Gregory Maguire has the Victorian Dictatorship/Dark Old God thing going on, but the writing's a little dense.
#9 Posted by MamaMiia (580 posts) -

Good thing that when they made a movie out of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" they decided to call it "Blade Runner" instead.  ;-)

#10 Posted by SammyJJ63 (7 posts) -

I would highly recommed the night angel trilogy by brenden weeks it is one of my favorite book seires that I have read recently.