Why do people complain?

#1 Posted by Doom_is_here (178 posts) -

Now i know this has been posted here enough times to the point where every page can easily have one of these (or one of the ones that go like :This game blows humongous donkey....)but please hear me out.

D2 was one of the first games i ever played back in the day and i completely loved it.When i heard about six months ago that there was gonna be a diablo 3 and it has a release date i was thrilled.I read the books and even replayed the games a couple of times.Now when it first came out i was in the middle of my school exams so i had to skip it for a while and wait until i'm done and i have enough money but then i started hearing some rly bad things about the game so that made me give it some thought.I mean i knew i wasn't gonna have what i was waiting for for 12 something years since all the hype and the expectations were too high and i was probably gonna be dissapointed but i didn't think it would be that bad to the point where people complain.

So skip forward about a month.I buy the game and i proceed to buy and eventually play the game.And i loved it.from the stunning cutscenes (that heaven one with diablo is one of the best cutscenes IMO)to the effort being put into progressing the lore of the game (remember i had read the books so that was important for me).Everything from the visuals to the gameplay were above my expectations and i was immidiately hooked.So after about 20 hours in while playing i started wondering:why did people complain about the game?I mean i found no good reason. (well actually i did...the always online is still **** no matter how you view it and the AH can take away from the difficulty at times)

Some complains were just childish as always but some were well thought out arguements from people who seemed to know what they are saying so...why?i mean did the game not meet their expectations?if so then how high were their expectations...as i said i am a diehard fan of diablo and the universe it has revolving arround it but i still found the game in terms of story and lore (especially lore) just amazing.

Gameplay is still enticing and draws you in and gets you hooked up and the atmosphere hasn't changed in my book.(**** i even compared the dungeon part in Act 1 with the tower of latria from demon's souls and i think that is the best dungeon any action rpg in the last decade)

The music is good but i can't rly compare it to the other games since i usually had music on while playing or wasn't playing close enough attention to notice the music.

So again(and this may sound fanboyish*and in hindsight it probably is*)...why do people complain and give this game a  bad score....i can see it's not for everyone and i can totaly understand giving it a bad score if it is gonna send a message to companies that online requirements for a single player game  are just a bad business policy but other than that i don't see how someone could have liked the other games and have hated this one.

But please if i am wrong do point it out cause this is a genuine question i have been asking myself for a while now.

Keep in mind i am 60 hours into the game and i don't feel like stopping any time soon so if that makes my oppinion any less valid then i think it should be pointed out in advance.(also sorry if the title was a little misleading)

#2 Posted by pphanfx (12 posts) -

The gameplay, story, and music are not the true gripe most fans have about D3. It is indeed a great game. I've logged about 300 hours in and I'm always on the Diablo 3 forums researching information. From my own personal experience and from what I've read, the real gripe about the game is based on how it strongly pressures players toward the RMAH. Many of the nerfs are geared toward stifling your ability to quickly farm up gold or resources on your own. This includes heavier repair penalties for death at high level and constant patches that reduce gold income.

Once you hit level 60 and reach Act 2 through 4 in Inferno, the gear requirements are very stiff. As suggested above, there is a very harsh financial penalty for trying to progress beyond your gear level. The only way to get the gear is through farming, trade, or purchase. This can amount to hundreds of hours farming the exact same areas over and over again (certainly to be expected at some level, but should not constitute the bulk of the gameplay). Not surprisingly, the best gear is available on the RMAH, with prices reaching hundreds of dollars for a single item. As recently as two days ago, Blizz has caved in to complaints and increased drop rates slightly. But in summary, the game suffers a bit from this"pay-to-win" phenomenon that has been overtaking the industry overall.

#3 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

I am of the opinion that if you can't enjoy a game like Diablo 3 then you've become far to cynical and jaded and should consider finding a new hobby or at least taking a break from gaming for a bit.

#4 Posted by trueepower44 (67 posts) -

The game is built around the AH. That means:

- Characters are weaker than they should be "and more items dependent".
- Items are weaker, less unique stats to make you feel more powerful, items are lame WOW stats, and what is the purpose to name an item that has the same stats as a yellow?
- No clever tactic are viable in Inferno
- Necro was left out of the game for its potential to be considered over-powered replaced with the joke of a character called the Witch doctor
- Items stats, if you like them, extremely random, and very very difficult to find (but they are lame anyways)

The game is good, as compared to your average game. But, not great or subperb. It's in the 7 range. For a Blizzard game, thats why people laugh.

#5 Posted by trueepower44 (67 posts) -

You can enjoy the game, but the game has caught heat for "legit" reasons. People have high expectations for Blizzard games. This game is built around the AH, and that effects characterters, items, enemies, the whole entire game. So I wouldn't say to someone don't buy this game, by all means buy it. Enjoy it. But, this is not a masterpiece that people were expecting.

#6 Posted by trueepower44 (67 posts) -

The gameplay, story, and music are not the true gripe most fans have about D3. It is indeed a great game. I've logged about 300 hours in and I'm always on the Diablo 3 forums researching information. From my own personal experience and from what I've read, the real gripe about the game is based on how it strongly pressures players toward the RMAH. Many of the nerfs are geared toward stifling your ability to quickly farm up gold or resources on your own. This includes heavier repair penalties for death at high level and constant patches that reduce gold income.

Once you hit level 60 and reach Act 2 through 4 in Inferno, the gear requirements are very stiff. As suggested above, there is a very harsh financial penalty for trying to progress beyond your gear level. The only way to get the gear is through farming, trade, or purchase. This can amount to hundreds of hours farming the exact same areas over and over again (certainly to be expected at some level, but should not constitute the bulk of the gameplay). Not surprisingly, the best gear is available on the RMAH, with prices reaching hundreds of dollars for a single item. As recently as two days ago, Blizz has caved in to complaints and increased drop rates slightly. But in summary, the game suffers a bit from this"pay-to-win" phenomenon that has been overtaking the industry overall.

pphanfx
Well said, the end game is based on the AH especially. What does that mean? It effects the character skills (Blizzard doesn't want you to feel powerful enough not to need the absolute best items available), and the items they are boring because if they were godly like D2 items they would help players too much. Making the AH worthless to them to produce max profits for the game. Blizz is the let down here. If the game were produced by some no name gaming company it would get more recognition. This is Blizzard, and they let everyone down, and tarnished their name as a gaming company.
#7 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

The game is built around the AH.trueepower44

No it's not.  Blizzard has said multiple times that drop rates were tuned for players who would never use the auction house.  In fact, none of the in-house testers even had access to the auction house and played the game using in-game drops exclusively.

#8 Posted by Eraldus (399 posts) -
Why do you care if people complain? They have the right to do so... It's not like a post from someone complaining will affect your gamming experience at all >.>
#9 Posted by MirkoS77 (7579 posts) -

[QUOTE="trueepower44"]The game is built around the AH.dzimm

No it's not.  Blizzard has said multiple times that drop rates were tuned for players who would never use the auction house.  In fact, none of the in-house testers even had access to the auction house and played the game using in-game drops exclusively.

Oh, please.  The game is most definitely designed around the auction house, you'd have to be blind or in denial not to see this.

#10 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

There are plenty of people working their way through Inferno without using the auction house.  It's only those too impatient to farm for their own gear who think it's "required".

#11 Posted by Newhopes (4582 posts) -

There are plenty of people working their way through Inferno without using the auction house.  It's only those too impatient to farm for their own gear who think it's "required".

dzimm

Thanks for the laugh.

#12 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

You're welcome, although I'm not sure why a factual statement makes you laugh.

#13 Posted by Hero6_basic (1536 posts) -

You're welcome, although I'm not sure why a factual statement makes you laugh.

dzimm
Because it's not factual.
#15 Posted by Bgrngod (5733 posts) -

They complain because it's 2012 and Diablo 2 is still the best Diablo.

Thank god for Torchlight being around as a spiritual successor.

#16 Posted by bemango (12 posts) -

tumblr_lrp48f3rrM1r1uuc8o1_500.jpg

:(