Why are people complaining so much about it being too short?

#1 Posted by Zcrimson07 (3493 posts) -
Compared to pretty much any other form of entertainment (except books), the $/hr value of Diablo 3 is pretty good. Even if you were able to beat inferno in 60 hours (which I'm quite sure you can't) it would still be only $1/hr. Plus that's just one character and then there's hardcore mode and there will be PvP too. If you think it's a bad value consider a movie theater date is probably gonna run you $20-30 for, at most, 3 hours so a value of around $10/hr. I'm still poor so I havent been able to buy it and I haven't gotten a guest pass yet (PM me one if possible) but this is just something that's been bugging me as I read diablo forums.
#2 Posted by dude102 (331 posts) -
took me 40 hours to get to inferno i feel thats well worth 60 dollars considering most dont like 10 hours
#3 Posted by pltr (55 posts) -

Because it is short. Takes like 10 hours to finish the game.

Sure I'd love to play inferno, but can't be bothered to play 3 more times same story on the same class.

Mass Effect 3 for example took me almost 40 hours to play through first time (insanity).

#4 Posted by Teutonic_Terror (12 posts) -

Because, people will always find to something to complain about no matter what it is.

#5 Posted by Vambran (1920 posts) -

5 Characters x 4 Acts x 4 Difficulty levels x 2 for Hardcore = worth it. You want to complain about short go play Dungeon Siege 3.

#6 Posted by Katra (272 posts) -

Yeah, people just don't understand what kind of game this is and stop after normal.  Basically the entirety of normal mode is a tutorial.  If you don't care about character progression then this game isn't for you.  My character is level 58 still in hell mode.  Not going to even bother with inferno yet and just farm hell for a while.  But anyways, good riddance.

#7 Posted by jasopan (2360 posts) -
40 hours in, level 55, Act 2 I think it's worth it
#8 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

Sure I'd love to play inferno, but can't be bothered to play 3 more times same story on the same class.

pltr

Then play another class...

#9 Posted by Printul_Noptii (2017 posts) -

It isn't that short of a game but Act 4 seemed rather rushed, I think any Final Fantasy game is longer to be quite honest.

#10 Posted by Shiftfallout (2635 posts) -
I would argue that most people dont want to have to play the same story line over and over and over and over again just to get to a high difficulty. You are pretty much forced to play the game on easy mode, which takes no time at all, and by that time the story (which sucks) is pretty much done and over with, the incentive to keep playing is minimized and the only challenge you get is kiting obviously over powered mobs over and over and over for hours on end, which to me is no real incentive.
#11 Posted by crognalsen (30 posts) -

I understand the model and it's one they have used since the old Diablo games.  It's basically make things somewhat random and have people play together on harder difficulties over and over again until they get the best loot.  It's one of those games thati s more about getting together with friends then it is about having an epic long story.

#12 Posted by dude102 (331 posts) -
I don't see it beating the game just completing normal mode yes the story is over at that point but the game is not and its not just the difficulty that goes up mobs change and more elites spawn and fights get way more interesting. If you look at it like a story based game like mass effect I can see what you mean but it is not there too completely different games thats like playing one round of counter-strike and your team wins and you say your done because the next round will be exactly the same but you have more money.
#13 Posted by kai_311 (444 posts) -
Just started Act III on normal and I'm about 30 hours into the game so I'm not complaining at all...
#14 Posted by axlroselm (214 posts) -

4hrs and still in act 1! :)

#15 Posted by pltr (55 posts) -

[QUOTE="pltr"]

bloodling

Then play another class...

How will that allow me to play inferno?

You you're forced to play normal again if you roll another class?

#16 Posted by GamerOuTLaWz (42 posts) -

^ pls go back to super mario world

#17 Posted by Darkblast (78 posts) -

more than 20 hours for normal. near 40 hours just starting act 3 nightmare. I rushed my brother to act 2 took 1 hour and half. in D2 i rush people in normal in less than 10 minutes and nightmare in 12 minutes (not strong enought for hell). so far it has more time per $ than D2. In D2 fastest ive done was 1 hours and half for act 1 normal with my brother. him a barb me a necro we finished level 7 act 1. Doing head rush start like that in D3 gave me a 6 hours timer (5 times longer).

If i compare to Titan Quest for example as it's the most similar system i've personnaly played i passed the whole game 1st playthrough in 8 hours. D3 nearly 3 times longer than titan quest for me. My friend have a 11 hours on Titan quest he's saying and his D3 he did in 25 hours normal so him it's 3 times longer.

i dont pass my life playing diablo like some people and since it went out i have about 40 hours with my wizard and 12 hours on my barb total 52 hours in so far. categorize me in causual player.

#18 Posted by AlmityGuitarist (150 posts) -

Diablo II just disguised the grind better. The only problem I really have with the game is item randomization. Legendary weapons in D2 kicked way more ass.

#19 Posted by AlmityGuitarist (150 posts) -

Diablo II just disguised the grind better. The only problem I really have with the game is item randomization. Legendary weapons in D2 kicked way more ass.

#20 Posted by MagnusXilorius (9 posts) -
[QUOTE="jasopan"]40 hours in, level 55, Act 2 I think it's worth it

LOL You're beasting the game aren't you?
#21 Posted by MagnusXilorius (9 posts) -

I'm on act 3, in normal, as barbarian and close to 20 hours. And I personally feel like I've been forcing myself through the game quick (skipping content here and there), because I want end-game content. If I would chill with it, and grind ALL THE THINGS like I usually do in dungeon crawlers I'd have double those hours, easily.

Plus, I've started a monk and a demon hunter on the side that I've dumped another 6 or so hours into.

If I had to guess, the ones saying it's to short are either hipsters or people that just beat normal mode (with a single toon) and say they're done.

But hey, it's all about how much you WANT to get out of it. If you want to rip yourself off, go for it. If you want your monies worth, you  can definitely get it here.

#22 Posted by q-bert39 (146 posts) -

I'd say the real problem here is the fanboys know that deep down, the game is short, and the difficulty settings dont make the short game any shorter or longer. What's really going on here is disappointed gamers are trying to convince themselves that diablo is a long game, by having to play the same story over multiple times. Sorry, thats like saying the CoD 6 hour campaings are really 24 hours if you play them from easy to hardest.

tldr; A few script changes that make bigger mobs and artificially harder bosses doesnt constitute replay value.

#23 Posted by isidrorozco (111 posts) -

I'd say the real problem here is the fanboys know that deep down, the game is short, and the difficulty settings dont make the short game any shorter or longer. What's really going on here is disappointed gamers are trying to convince themselves that diablo is a long game, by having to play the same story over multiple times. Sorry, thats like saying the CoD 6 hour campaings are really 24 hours if you play them from easy to hardest.

tldr; A few script changes that make bigger mobs and artificially harder bosses doesnt constitute replay value.

q-bert39

^this.

the game is short, and just because its repeatitive doesn't make it long. i have 80 hours on 2 two characters, one is in act 3 h3ll, the other act 3 nightmare and yes im burnt out already because all youre really doing is the same quest over and over. its a good hack n slash , just not great like all the fanboy's are trying to tell themselves.

#24 Posted by crognalsen (30 posts) -

I don't believe Diablo 1 or 2 had any longer story that I can recall. It was all about getting to the harder difficulties and gearing up for them just like this game is. COD is nothing like the Diablo series of games.

#25 Posted by jdm2686 (44 posts) -

the game starts at inferno...the scrubs keeps telling themselves it dosen't

#26 Posted by ThAdEa82 (2261 posts) -

q-bert39
Really? I think horde mode in gears falls into that description but pulls it off brilliantly. Its fun to play again though its not 40 hours of continuously new gameplay...you should have known and expected this already if you have played diablo before.
#27 Posted by ThAdEa82 (2261 posts) -

q-bert39

tsdr - too short dismissed remark

#28 Posted by gix47 (673 posts) -

becouse it is short,but then again it was made for you to reply it over and over

#29 Posted by gix47 (673 posts) -

I don't believe Diablo 1 or 2 had any longer story that I can recall. It was all about getting to the harder difficulties and gearing up for them just like this game is. COD is nothing like the Diablo series of games.

crognalsen

D1 and D2 were 'longer' becouse the dungeons were bigger and had more levels,if i remember right they were no just one level or even 2 level dungeons

#30 Posted by UOPNEC (15 posts) -

It seems short because people are in a rush to get to inferno mode and they are just going straight through the main quest...Take time to not only wander more but actually read the dialogue and pay attention to the little details like moving water in the background and not only will it last longer but it will always be more interesting. Stop rushing people!

#31 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -
Sure I'd love to play inferno, but can't be bothered to play 3 more times same story on the same class.pltr
Considering that this is a core feature of action RPGs, why did you even bother getting the game in the first place?
#32 Posted by pltr (55 posts) -

[QUOTE="pltr"]Sure I'd love to play inferno, but can't be bothered to play 3 more times same story on the same class.dzimm
Considering that this is a core feature of action RPGs, why did you even bother getting the game in the first place?

What other rpg only allows you to play normal at first before letting you to play harder modes, what are you even.

#33 Posted by kris0000000007 (36 posts) -

I just beat the game in normal difficulty, took 35h to do it (LvL 33). So I think nighmare and hell will take even more. OK, you can allways just run though every place, that saves lot off time, but thats not my style to play. ;)

#34 Posted by light_blade (1048 posts) -

You only need to go through normal once to experience all the content. That's less than 10 hours.

#35 Posted by trueepower44 (67 posts) -

Act 4 sucks, and the game is a bit short. The first 3 acts were solid (Act 3 being the 3rd worst, but alright overall) and then Act 4 fell on its face. The game is average overall for a Blizzard title. Buyer beware, unless you are a huge huge fan of Action RPG's don't buy.

#36 Posted by Canball41 (29 posts) -

also the level changes each time you load the game. You might get a different side quest or dungeon from time and time again.

#37 Posted by kris0000000007 (36 posts) -

also the level changes each time you load the game. You might get a different side quest or dungeon from time and time again.

Canball41

Yes, that is only change what I dont like.

Now over 60 hours in and still at Nightmare difficulty. I have read many people saying that Normal difficulty is like a tutorial and I have to agree, game start to shine after that. I only died two times in Normal. I never play other difficulties in other games, but in Diablo it is must. :!:

#38 Posted by blkgto (790 posts) -
Then this clearly is not the game for you. No one buys diablo to play it on normal. Lol you can't be "bothered" to play it again on a setting it was really meant to be played on, and you say you beat normal in 10 hours, which tells me you probably have the attention span of a five year old in desperate need of ritalin. You clearly did not explore anything. Just flew through to get it over with. Go back to console forums and stay there.
#39 Posted by Bgrngod (5733 posts) -

Because using the entire campaign as a 4 hour tutorial mode was a piss poor stupid idea.

There is literally nothing more to see for story components after that.

This game is easily the biggest joke to ever be played on the gaming community.  Even in comparison to the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco.

#40 Posted by BLOODParasite (66 posts) -

[QUOTE="dzimm"][QUOTE="pltr"]Sure I'd love to play inferno, but can't be bothered to play 3 more times same story on the same class.pltr

What other rpg only allows you to play normal at first before letting you to play harder modes, what are you even.

If you need to be told how the game is played, it's probably not for you.
#41 Posted by Starwolf64 (34 posts) -

The story is short, can't say the game itself is short. Blizzard should have added 4 more difficulities after inferno (8 difficulity modes yay!), than we'd have an awesomely long game that takes for ever to beat and there is incentive to keep on playing after beating inferno (I'm only half serious, 8 difficulity modes would be like sitting in prugatory).

My biggest problem is how terrible the story is, I honestly can't believe Blizzard managed to bypass about 80% of the lore from the diablo universe seeing of how much of it exists between d1-2 and the novels and come up with the turd of the story they released.

Then there is the problem with terribly unimaginative items (+vit, +str, +armor ++++ items woo hoo!) which Blizzard is working on and probably will fix AND how the game takes absolutely no player skill to play, it's all about gear 100%; something that would take redesigning of the whole game to fix and won't change ever. It would be nice to beat an elite pack every now and then knowing you managed to do it by thinking out side the box and not getting gear checked at every challenge.

#42 Posted by Steve_LowBill (103 posts) -

Depends on how you play , if you roam around and explore every bit of the realms you'll come to know the game is not too short . I think it's worth every P I paid for it .

#43 Posted by roadtoady (6 posts) -

I've played two characaters up to Level 60 and into Inferno Level in a little over 80+ hours. About the only suprises now, are trying to find some decent stuff at reasonable prices in the Auction House to keep my characters from dying over and over and over in Inferno Level....

But the bottom line is that I just really don't think that I'm up for:

Watching Cain die a 7th time...

Chasing Magda a 7th time...

Lighting a bunch of Signal Fires a 7th time....

Listening to Tyreal a 7th time tell me that it's up to me, Nephalem, to vanquish Diablo, "the fight is yours alone...."

It's just gotten too narrowly repetitive even over the 4 Acts, and it no longer feels like a game, but a very difficult chore to simply go thru the frustrating and often tedious motions once more thru Inferno Level...

And frankly, with the crappy item drops I have seen now in Hell Level, virtually all my excitable interest in the game has been dashed to bits. IMHO, Blizzard should have quit with D2, or at least upgraded and revised the Game Engine graphics of D2 to Windows 7/Graphics Cards fully realized capabilities....