to buy or not to buy?

#1 Posted by althgrea1 (173 posts) -

ive been saving up money for a couple of weeks just trying to get the game. but ive been hearing alot of negative things about it. I still plan on buying it, i love dungeon crawlers and was even able to play diablo 2 as a kid. (only at a friends house tho :( ) so how is the game? is it good? is there any way to try before i buy?

#2 Posted by Printul_Noptii (2016 posts) -

well its a fun and addictive game the only real drawback is the "always connected to the internet" DRM but if you have a stable connection its a must buy for Diablo fans and maybe even newcomers.

#3 Posted by Animorganimate (713 posts) -

If you want a fun and enjoyable game that will provide hours of playtime, get Diablo III...especially if you like dungeon crawling and loot hunting.

Don't listen to the trolls (or the fan boys for that matter). Even if Diablo III was the best game ever made, there would still be naysayers and nitpickers.

It's the nature of of the hobby.

#4 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -
If you like dungeon crawlers and action-RPGs then Diablo 3 is easily one of the best. Super fun and insanely addictive.
#5 Posted by tar1901 (135 posts) -

Get you self a guest pass and check it out first.

I didn't like what I've seen and decided not to buy it.

Some of my friends the first dificulty legels but the game doesn't have replay value, some classes are broken and the game is mostly gear grind.

#6 Posted by Sentinel112 (571 posts) -

If you want a fun and enjoyable game that will provide hours of playtime, get Diablo III...especially if you like dungeon crawling and loot hunting.

Don't listen to the trolls (or the fan boys for that matter). Even if Diablo III was the best game ever made, there would still be naysayers and nitpickers.

Animorganimate
If you want a fun and enjoyable game which focuses on dungeon crawling and loot hunting, then I advise you to wait till this summer and play Path of Exile for FREE. A game which is superior to Diablo 3 on all fronts. Don't say I did not warn you.
#7 Posted by VAMPYREANGELUS (1 posts) -

the graphics are better then d2 and sacred 2, but both these other games are far better otherwise.

#8 Posted by crognalsen (71 posts) -

After playing for a few weeks most of my fears have become realized. 

One is that the point and click style of combat is no longer very good.  There just isn't enough control over your character movement and camera movement wise to keep the game interesting enough to play through over and over again unless you are playing just to hang out with friends.  I had fun playing it for a little while, but click click click is just to repetitious.  I prefer the ability to move around using wsad/mouse or controller where camera movement is available. 

My second fear was the games focus on grinding for loot.  This is an old mechanics employed by many game of the past and can be fun at times, but in this day and age where there are so many games available that have better story and combat it's difficult to want to grind for loot over and over again.  Most games offer a better single player experience.

To sum up this game is for people who like to loot grind with friends.  I don't think the single player experience, combat, story, or loot grind will keep people interested for very long.  It's big draw is the ability to join up with friends fairly easily IMO.  I guess some people may also enjoy the click click click combat and the loot grinding.  It's possible I'm just burnt out on it from playing games like Everquest 1 and Ultima Online for so many years.  I liked playing the game for a little while, but I'm not sure if it was worth the 60 bucks.  It would be if I had a lot of friends who I played with, but since I don't as they are to busy probably not.

#9 Posted by Animorganimate (713 posts) -

[QUOTE="Animorganimate"]

Sentinel112

If you want a fun and enjoyable game which focuses on dungeon crawling and loot hunting, then I advise you to wait till this summer and play Path of Exile for FREE. A game which is superior to Diablo 3 on all fronts. Don't say I did not warn you.

I played two of the open beta weekends for Path of Exile and couldn't stand the game. It was way too tedious for a simple dungeon crawler.

While on the subject of other games however, I think Grim Dawn is looking fantastic. I'm a big fan of Titan Quest and think the people behind that game are the only ones capable of making a dungeon crawler that can hold a candle to the Diablo franchise.

So there's one to look out for...but in the mean time, Diablo III will fill that dungeon-crawling-loot-hunting void for months to come.

#10 Posted by sirk1264 (5570 posts) -

I'm a newcomer to the diablo series and I enjoy this game a lot. Just finally beat the game on normal with my wizard and want to start a new character to play with. Very addicting and fun solo or with others. The only drawback is like what everyone else is saying, the always online connection. But, if you have a decent Internet connection, then you have nothing to worry about. 

#11 Posted by althgrea1 (173 posts) -

i would still like to be able to play the game before buying it. meh i dunno

#12 Posted by fanirama (926 posts) -

Just finished the game as a Monk (level 33) on Normal and it took around 24 hours (including seeing everything once).

Doing just the main quests fast would probably be around 12-15hrs perhaps. The game is very average and meh.

Quite repetitive after a while and I just spammed the Way of Hundred Fists + Couple more and never bothered with upgraded skillssince this worked so well. The loot was abysmal (never saw a Legendary) and oftentimes Blue magics were better than the Yellow Rares.

Loot is all bs IMO in Diablo and seems to be geared towards making you buy from the RMAH for good ones.

Overall, the game is a 7/10 for me. Weak graphics, weak gameplay, severe lag at many times (even on my 25Mbps FIOS) makes this game a dud for me.

Do I regret the $60. Not really.

Should you wait - well, if you don't care about the game being $60, just buy it, play it once and forget about it. You will get around 20hrs entertainment out of it. It is not your life companion, so who cares.

Sure, Titan Quest and Torchlight are far cheaper and better games, but eh. You can wait 2 years for a $10 discount on this or forget about that and buy it now.

This game is akin to you getting a one time pleasure reading Playboy or Hustler or going online for you know what. Once done, you won't even feel like watching it again for some time(or playing it). Sure, you may come back to it now and then but overall this game isn't satisfying or thrilling as such. It is just very average. It probably would've made a bigger impact had it released around 2002-2003.

#13 Posted by althgrea1 (173 posts) -

the internet is so full of opinions..... lol well does anyone have a demo code i can haz? i would still like to try it out.

#14 Posted by RedEyedMonster8 (1160 posts) -

Just finished the game as a Monk (level 33) on Normal and it took around 24 hours (including seeing everything once). Doing just the main quests fast would probably be around 12-15hrs perhaps. The game is very average and meh. Quite repetitive after a while and I just spammed the Way of Hundred Fists + Couple more and never bothered with upgraded skills since this worked so well. The loot was abysmal (never saw a Legendary) and oftentimes Blue magics were better than the Yellow Rares. Loot is all bs IMO in Diablo and seems to be geared towards making you buy from the RMAH for good ones. Overall, the game is a 7/10 for me. Weak graphics, weak gameplay, severe lag at many times (even on my 25Mbps FIOS) makes this game a dud for me. Do I regret the $60. Not really. Should you wait - well, if you don't care about the game being $60, just buy it, play it once and forget about it. You will get around 20hrs entertainment out of it. It is not your life companion, so who cares. Sure, Titan Quest and Torchlight are far cheaper and better games, but eh. You can wait 2 years for a $10 discount on this or forget about that and buy it now. This game is akin to you getting a one time pleasure reading Playboy or Hustler or going online for you know what. Once done, you won't even feel like watching it again for some time(or playing it). Sure, you may come back to it now and then but overall this game isn't satisfying or thrilling as such. It is just very average. It probably would've made a bigger impact had it released around 2002-2003. fanirama

The enter key is your friend. You don't finish Diablo III by beating it once on normal. Furtuthermore TC, it's advisable that you don't listen to all of the negativity and simply play the game for yourself. Diablo III was a very anticipated game which many people had high expectations for and as a result there will be more complainers.

Many people take to the internet to voice their opinions (especially if their opinions are negative), the game is quite popular and is played by millions, so obviously there is no shortage of people who enjoy it.

#15 Posted by althgrea1 (173 posts) -

i try to ignore most negative posts about this game. the only negative things i agree on are the unstable servers and buying an incomplete game. other than that i think the game looks just as fun as its predecessors. but i would still like to try before i buy

#16 Posted by fanirama (926 posts) -

[QUOTE="fanirama"]... RedEyedMonster8

The enter key is your friend.

Done. It didn't take my formatting when I hit quick reply and I didn't bother afterwards. I hate walls of text too - they appear illegible and a turn off. But blame the non functioning Quick Reply feature of the forum
#17 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -
the game doesn't have replay valuetar1901
You've got to be joking. Diablo 3 has epic loads of replay value. Even after banging away at the same three hours of content during months of beta, I was eager for more when the full game was finally released (although admittedly I was glad to see what was after Skeleton King). I've done several full runs through the game to this point, and I can still easily lose hours at a time whenever I set down to play. No replay value my @ss.
#18 Posted by Seven_Force (328 posts) -
I have to agree, along with thousands of others, that there is no replay value. Maybe if you never played Diablo 2 there is nothing to compare it to and you will be happy. In D2 I made over 30 characters I would guess and leveled them all over 80. In D3, I've made 2 level 60's and the thought of making another character is sickening. I got the game on release day and I haven't played in a couple weeks. I did get 130 hours out of the game, but I've gotten more than that out of single player games with non repetitive mechanics and enjoyed them better, too.
#19 Posted by rock_solid (5122 posts) -
definite buy
#20 Posted by Nophoria88 (410 posts) -

i try to ignore most negative posts about this game. the only negative things i agree on are the unstable servers and buying an incomplete game. other than that i think the game looks just as fun as its predecessors. but i would still like to try before i buy

althgrea1
why would you ask opinions then ignore criticism? fact is, for the years waited for this, its incomplete and lackluster. think about playing a game all on every single difficulty before "beating" it. thats what this is, the same lvls over and over, just gets harder and more ridiculous and how would you agree on ANY of the comments if you haven't even played it first hand. zzzzz dude just wants a free code, anyone mind indulging him
#21 Posted by sblazed (373 posts) -

Dont, this game is worth 20$ at best. You'd think this could be good for its multiplayer but battle.net 2.0 is so bad that you'd rather play solo, then well the game is pointless thanks to the auction house and the limited matchmaking system, no pvp. Add to this a miserable story and a childish and shallow presentation and you got nothing left but a gear grind which is not even good and interesting this time, I wouldnt even play it for free, boring and pointless are the hallmark of this game and the satisfying combat system will only keep your interest for a few days.

#22 Posted by Kal036 (705 posts) -

I would say BUY even if I almost stopped playing. I already logged in a good 150 hours so my money was well spent.

#23 Posted by RedEyedMonster8 (1160 posts) -

I would say BUY even if I almost stopped playing. I already logged in a good 150 hours so my money was well spent.

Kal036

Agreed, if people hated this game as much as some keyboard warriors make it out to be I highly doubt you would see so many people putting 150+ hours into it in less than two months.

#24 Posted by Hero6_basic (1536 posts) -

Buy torch light 2, where you will lose only $20 if you don't like it.

#25 Posted by kcthewun (259 posts) -

i went and got me a guest pass for $1.50 on EBAY then ima see if its worth 60$ or i can always wait till gamestop drops the price to 20$ on black friday lol

#26 Posted by kcthewun (259 posts) -

ima wait till my guest pass email comes in from ebay ($1.50) then run it and see if its worth the 60$ the worst thing you can do is wait till black friday when gamestops sells it over stored copys for 20$ lol

#27 Posted by linksfire (210 posts) -

to put it simply the answer to your question is...not to buy. i did and it was a let down. the diablo feel is hardly even there at all.

#28 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kal036"]

RedEyedMonster8

Agreed, if people hated this game as much as some keyboard warriors make it out to be I highly doubt you would see so many people putting 150+ hours into it in less than two months.

No kidding.  I love the posts on the official forums where people will boast 500-hours played (seriously?  Do these people not work?) and then talk about how much the game sucks.  I'm like "Whaaaaa?"

#29 Posted by angrygolddoreen (2 posts) -
Its really worth yo buy :) ,if you dont have gold to buy better equipment ,come to angry gold ,lowest price . 1M+1.1$ angrygold ,selling cheap gold as long as items powerleveling with complicated price!!! http://www.angrygold.com/
#32 Posted by dissevered (6 posts) -

I'll be damned if I am paying twice for me and my g/f to play this game. I played the demo and its pretty, and fun, but it's still just a hack n slash. Blizzard thinks they are putting a stop to piracy by doing stupid crap like requiring a constant connection and forcing every computer to have a seperate key. Nope, all they did was stop me from buying the game... lol

#33 Posted by berobnx (2931 posts) -

i didnt enjoy it at all, and i probably spent like 10000 hours on diablo 2, only reason i spent over 100 hours on diablo 3 was to see if it finnaly got fun, but it didnt >_>

#34 Posted by angrygoldhilary (12 posts) -
To sell or not to sell not a questions .i need your reply .