thx for nothing blizz watch your gold

#1 Posted by ccgod (7113 posts) -

http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/technology/ingame/gold-be-gone-thieves-hit-diablo-3-787580

So logged in today to find out i was cleaned out awesome security you spend your millions on

#2 Posted by Eraldus (399 posts) -
It is ok, you'll just have to restart over or grind for gold. I guess that is part of the "replay value" right?
#3 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Get an authenticator.  Its that simple.  It protects your entire battle.net account.  I've had one for years.  These security issues have been happening for years, they aren't new and they affect any game where real life money can be made.  I was hacked several times in Diablo 2 back in the day, and technology has only gotten better for hackers.  If you read the whole article, Blizzard has reported that they haven't found a single case where someone was hacked other than someone logging in with their username and password.  People are getting phished and then blame blizzard.  They did it in WoW too until progression raiding guilds started demanding members have an authenticator to qualify for core raid slots, now everyone has them.

#4 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

Been playing online games for over 10 years and never gotten hacked / account stolen.

#5 Posted by bosoxphan (49 posts) -

Authenticator free on app store. Quick and easy fix. Check your phone when you log in. Enter the code and your done. Highly recommend it.

#6 Posted by blkgto (790 posts) -

Blizzard accounts have been getting hacked for years.  People need to wise up and get an authenticator.  If you don't want to spend the money, I think you can get a free app for your smart phone.  If you don't have a smart phone, then buck up and spend the six or seven bucks for the authenticator.  It is worth it. 

#7 Posted by batus111 (15 posts) -

Buy a authenticator? 

#8 Posted by Darkblast (78 posts) -

i'm 99% sure the hack is server side. i got my account strip from gold and my helmet. Going in with my password would have required crazy lucky guess as i am a programmer and i know high level password is important so my passwords always have more than a dozen character that doesnt include any words when it comes to letters and they contains letters, numbers and at lest 3 special characters. would have taken months brute forcing that one. Here one i just generated with my homemade c# app i use for all my password :

%FCZK:LO9$.Q#7

the guy able to brute forcing in max 2 weeks (assuming he choose me as first target the first day the game came out) would make more money as programer then diablo 3 theft.

#9 Posted by demonic_85 (1395 posts) -

i'm 99% sure the hack is server side. i got my account strip from gold and my helmet. Going in with my password would have required crazy lucky guess as i am a programmer and i know high level password is important so my passwords always have more than a dozen character that doesnt include any words when it comes to letters and they contains letters, numbers and at lest 3 special characters. would have taken months brute forcing that one. Here one i just generated with my homemade c# app i use for all my password :

%FCZK:LO9$.Q#7

the guy able to brute forcing in max 2 weeks (assuming he choose me as first target the first day the game came out) would make more money as programer then diablo 3 theft.

Darkblast

EXACTLY! This issue is server side, it's just frustrating that Blizzard doesnt want to help us and just insists that it's our fault the accounts got hacked. I use strong passwords too and so far Diablo 3 is the only game i've ever had my account hacked.

#10 Posted by rahl247 (1607 posts) -

my wow account has gotten hacked and is now banned account. i will never go back to wow so i could care less. but as soon as i got d3 i got the authenticater so get it its not that big of a deal.

#11 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

EXACTLY! This issue is server side, it's just frustrating that Blizzard doesnt want to help us and just insists that it's our fault the accounts got hacked. I use strong passwords too and so far Diablo 3 is the only game i've ever had my account hacked.

demonic_85

The issue is not serverside.  Blizzard has officially stated numerous times they have not found a single case of an account being hacked by any method other than username/password, nor have they found any method of an account being hacked with an authenticator prior to the original hack.  It doesn't matter how strong your passwords are if you get phished or have keylogging software on your computer.  You can keep saying Blizzard is a liar, but you have absolutely no basis to be making that claim.

Here is an article regarding hacking and how hackers can NOT make more money as programmers for very compelling reasons.

#12 Posted by rahl247 (1607 posts) -

if blizzard knows there are hack problems the authenticater should be free nuff said.

#13 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

if blizzard knows there are hack problems the authenticater should be free nuff said.

rahl247
1) If the security problems were a result of sub-standard account security on Blizzards part I would agree. Its the players who are getting phished and keylogged. That's not Blizzard's responsibility. 2) If you have a smart phone, authenticators ARE free.
#14 Posted by Ecocidexc (84 posts) -

What ever you do don't tell blizz you were hacked, they will indefinitely suspend your account. This happened to my friend, now he can't play.

#15 Posted by Kintaro_Oe_25 (677 posts) -

What ever you do don't tell blizz you were hacked, they will indefinitely suspend your account. This happened to my friend, now he can't play.

Ecocidexc
Huh? I knew tons of people in WoW who were hacked. They went to Blizzard and got all of their stuff back.
#16 Posted by N0tYrBeezin (6902 posts) -

Ecocidexc
May be your friend power levelled, or sold his account and now wanted it back?
#17 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

Choose a better password for the email you use your battle.net account for and the battle.net account itself. I know that sounds stupid but a lot of people tend to use passwords like 1234 + a capital letter or something like "cat" or "dog" + 1234. Seriously, probably one of the major problems on any account managing for any site. But I do agree blizzard is doing very poorly with hacking. I wish they had that safeguard thing where if you login to another computer you have to verify with a code that its you with your email.

#18 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Choose a better password for the email you use your battle.net account for and the battle.net account itself. I know that sounds stupid but a lot of people tend to use passwords like 1234 + a capital letter or something like "cat" or "dog" + 1234. Seriously, probably one of the major problems on any account managing for any site. But I do agree blizzard is doing very poorly with hacking. I wish they had that safeguard thing where if you login to another computer you have to verify with a code that its you with your email.

shadowchronicle
That's actually how the authenticator works. Though if you do get hacked, take solace in the fact that you probably just saved a Chinese prisoner from being beaten with plastic pipes for not meeting his quota.
#19 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -
[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]

Megotaku77
That's actually how the authenticator works. Though if you do get hacked, take solace in the fact that you probably just saved a Chinese prisoner from being beaten with plastic pipes for not meeting his quota.

Yeah I haven't used the authenticator but it seems pretty useless.
#20 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Yeah I haven't used the authenticator but it seems pretty useless.shadowchronicle
Its not. Its the best account security you can get. Having an awesome password is great for brute force hackers, but this is the vast minority of hackers. Most people get hacked by phishers and keyloggers. Strong passwords don't protect against these. Authenticators do. You can say "well just don't go to sites", the thing is most people with an authenticator play Blizzard games for years. I've had my authenticator for 3 years. Perfect diligence in a digital world forever and ever just isn't something that's going to happen for most people. That's where the authenticator comes in.

#21 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -
I think some common sense needs to go along with managing accounts plus keyloggers and phishers. I've never had problems like this with accounts where I own games or anything like the above. I do plan on getting the authenticator though at some point.
#22 Posted by Wolf-Man2006 (4187 posts) -

Problem is some hackers are very good at guessing passwords, or just very lucky.

#23 Posted by Nexrad (441 posts) -

your fault for not using an authenticator

#24 Posted by GamerOuTLaWz (467 posts) -

let me summarise this game for you,play for 100hrs,get a hardcore barb up to 56 on A2 hell,die,it hurts but everythings fine its the game. Thing is,playing this barb I made up to 600k gold selling items on AH,I restarted a new HC char ( a WD) got him up to lvl 20,bought a legendary main weap + off hand around lvl 12 both for 50k each. 1 night I log on for 15mins ,everythings fine. the day after I log on,guess what? I stare at a naked WD, open the auction house tab to see my gold balance at 0. hacked. F this piece of **** of game and F these lying ass mother****s at Blizzard ent. ;piece of **** of devs with false promises and bad support. softcore was a pile of **** forever doomed with legendaries flooding the god damn AH and gold spammers/bots ruining the game ,but now you even get randomly hacked on hardcore,f this I havent logged back on since and I hope blizzard fails at being devs from now on. Blizzard entertainment died after WC3: TFT

#25 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

GamerOuTLaWz: You shouldn't post after you get hacked. It makes you look like a crazy person. Cursing Blizzard because you didn't secure your account with an authenticator makes you look foolish. All I got from your post is you are the same gamer wrecking online gaming with unreasonable expectations and a mouth that just won't stop when those unreasonable expectations aren't met. If you didn't like the game, you should have returned it for a refund, not come on the forum screaming like a little baby.

#26 Posted by sirk1264 (5560 posts) -

There's a free authenticator app on the app store for the iPhone. Sync it with your account and you're good to go. 

#27 Posted by GamerOuTLaWz (467 posts) -

I played and liked the game,I didnt say anything after losing my barb its how the game works and I was more than happy starting a WD with their useful passive for HC,but seriously youre telling me to **** off for safely having a account name and a PASSWORD that only I should ****ing know like EVERY games and EVERYTHING always been but nope,now you spend 60$ on a ****iing piece of **** of game where all your personal info,all time and money spent on the ****ing game gets stole by some fat neckbearded squirel-looking **** of humanity mistake of hacker somewhere in the world in UNDER 2 ****ING WEEKS OF RELEASE. I dont know what PC gaming has become but every ****ing MP games Ive purchased since 2011 gets its ****ing ass hacked and the experience is always a ****ing mess. ****ing passwords dont mean **** nowadays and online gaming is ****ing crap. No more competition in leaderboards since theres always those ****ing failures with unbelievable stats or get your ass raped in FPS games by ****asses with wallhacks and aimbots OR get your **** stole in the matter of 1 night by some random fat ****s in a game youve wasted 60bucks and countless hours on AND where the ****ing bull**** devs promised ****ing ridiculous crap about their game being hack/bot-free 

#28 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

I played and liked the game,I didnt say anything after losing my barb its how the game works and I was more than happy starting a WD with their useful passive for HC,but seriously youre telling me to **** off for safely having a account name and a PASSWORD that only I should ****ing know like EVERY games and EVERYTHING always been but nope,now you spend 60$ on a ****iing piece of **** of game where all your personal info,all time and money spent on the ****ing game gets stole by some fat neckbearded squirel-looking **** of humanity mistake of hacker somewhere in the world in UNDER 2 ****ING WEEKS OF RELEASE. I dont know what PC gaming has become but every ****ing MP games Ive purchased since 2011 gets its ****ing ass hacked and the experience is always a ****ing mess. ****ing passwords dont mean **** nowadays and online gaming is ****ing crap. No more competition in leaderboards since theres always those ****ing failures with unbelievable stats or get your ass raped in FPS games by ****asses with wallhacks and aimbots OR get your **** stole in the matter of 1 night by some random fat ****s in a game youve wasted 60bucks and countless hours on AND where the ****ing bull**** devs promised ****ing ridiculous crap about their game being hack/bot-free 

GamerOuTLaWz

Your well reasoned and argued position has swayed me.  Wait, no it didn't.  It reinforced my prior statement that you're a crazy person.  Get an authenticator, period.  You getting hacked is your fault.  "Neckbeards" don't hack your account, Chinese farmers do, and most of them are prisoners in a billion dollar industry.  You wouldn't lock up your bank account information with nothing more than an e-mail address and a password, why the crap are you doing the same for your gaming?  Bad security habits, period.  Your ignorance, haste to vitriolic rants, and baseless accusations towards the number of cheaters leads me to the conclusion that you are highly susceptible to phishing and keylogging websites because you lack the ability to think before you click and type.