Thoughts after 100+ hours put into the game

#1 Posted by Kthunderthumbs (3 posts) -

I have beaten the game on Normal, Nightmare and Hell and have started doing some stuff in Inferno (I've hit act II and got trainwrecked by the first white mobs). The guys who found the exploits and have no lives have ruined the high-end economy. Not really blizzards fault, other than letting the exploits exist in the first place. They have basically stated that they will nerf the best classes and exploits until they are all classes are about equal.  That doesn?t prevent the people who have already exploited those things to stay ahead of the game.

I did buy and enjoy the game. I also think it needs a lot of work.

THE CONS:

The game is highly flawed at the higher difficulties. Melee classes can't progress (I started as a barb and had to switch to a wizard) because they require gear that is being farmed by the ranged classes that can progress and get sold at unbelievable prices. Upgrades for my barb cost 1M+ and it takes about an hour to farm 100k. Good weapons are 2M+ if you're lucky to snipe an item off the AH at the right time.

You can't farm loot because the loot is soooo bad. Lucky to get 1 piece of AH-able loot completing an entire act with the Valor buff. This is because items NEED a certain combination of stats to be useful and it's nearly impossible for those stats to randomize on a rare. If they do randomize, the numbers are low making it useless. Legendaries are mostly just bad.

Blizzard and others claim that there is no "cookie cutter" spec. But, when you reach the later acts in hell you end up with a "cookie cutter" spec because there's no other way to survive. It's pretty fun the first two playthroughs on a toon -  when you can actually choose the abilities you like to use. But to get the best loot and play Inferno your build will revolve around a couple of key abilities that won't change. Just hit the D3 forums to see for yourself.

Laggy servers - mobs can often one shot you at higher difficulties. Nothing is as frustrating as getting melee'd by a mob that swung AFTER you teleported all the way across the screen. It happens. A LOT.

Multiplayer is BASICALLY REQUIRED. Yeah, it can be done solo (this is why the first two playthroughs are so fun). But it stinks because elite/champion packs will regen to full hp if they aren't in combat. They also do a ton of damage and can have some horrible affixes that can require you to either skip them or have to restart the level. Restarting a level or skipping means potentially losing your Valor stacks.

Public games are the best source of the worst players you could possibly imagine. Have friends that play or go solo.

The AH is your main source of loot. No more finding that epic item and being like "OMG guys, look at this leet item that dropped!!!" Just take your mediocre loot to the AH, hope some scrub buys it and that it will pay for a real upgrade.

Some Champion/Elite packs are nigh unbeatable in Inferno.

Gems aren't very interesting (compared to D2).

RMAH is going to take achievement out of the game. Just RMAH that epic loot because the game is brutal in Inferno.

THE PROS:

Looks freaking sweet. Abilities are stylish and look like you're actually doing something. Artistically it's very impressive.

Story is pretty good, if you don't pay attention to the details. Tyrael is bampf.

Really fun to play when it's not lagging and before you get to late Hell.

Solid hack'n'slash gameplay.

Rune system is interesting.

Classes are varied and make rerolling fun.

Champion/Elite packs that are beatable are nice an challenging.

TL;DR version: Worth it if you have 60 bucks and time to burn. But, don't expect to get to the top anytime soon unless you find an expliot. If you can wait, I think Torchlight 2 will be more entertaining.

#2 Posted by N0tYrBeezin (6902 posts) -

Well if nothing good ever dropped, then where the hell did those people find the good loots to sell in the AH anyway? Did they just pull them out of their behinds?

#3 Posted by twitch007911 (227 posts) -

Solid points Kthunderthumbs! This game really makes me wonder how many people actually worked on it, because the flaws you mentioned are very obvious. It is hard to imagine the beta testers didn't catch them.

Things I liked:

- No fixed class structure means that their is less reason to restart a game, since you can continiously reskill.

- Excellent combat mechanics!!!

- Varied environments

- Great ambiance

- varied classes

Things I didn't like:

These two almost ruin the game, one the OP touched on, one he didn't

- Remember old NES and SNES games that were so frustrating you would throw your controller? Well Blizzard has brought that feeling back! Run from a champion mob on hell or inferno and watch them cortex you back to their fire chains and now you are dead. Respawn back at the start of the barracks maze in act III and run back for five minutes through a maze to the same champions that have full health and will do the same thing to you again! Awesome. These throw your keyboard moments will for sure happen inferno, if not hell.

- Loot system is terrible. It is basically like playing keno. If you know how keno works you would know that 20 numbers are picked at random from 1-80. THe probability of getting 1 number you choose right is 1 in 4.

In normal and nightmare the loot doesn't have many options for modifiers, so getting what stat you need on a piece is pretty good.

On hell and inferno there are tons for stat types and they all come at random, so if you get a piece of gear that will have 5 stats (a rare), chances of getting one of the stats you want feels like 1 in 10. "Yes this item has dexetrity for my monk" you say. Sweet. What about the other stats. Like keno the odds of getting 1 number is 1 in 4, the odds of getting 5 is like 1 in 100,000. Just like this game. You are praying for that item on inferno that has dexterity, vitallity, and all restistances. You say, who cares about the other two stats. Still your odds of ever finding that piece with so many stat possiblities is super low. so grind grind grind some more. Or hit the auction house and realize that the same piece you want is the one everyone else wants and it is $20 on the RMAH. Ouch, back to the gold auction house to find the one with 187 dexterity, 34 vitallity, and 17 to lightning resistance. Yeah it isn't balance, or very good, but it is better then wading through quivers, shields, polearms, and orbs that you won't/can't use.

Yeah, a rant I know, but it makes Blizzards business plan with this game very obvious, Make perfect and near perfect loot so rare and random that it will end up on the RMAH so they can get their cut. With millions of people playing these items will show up at just a frequent enough pace so the RMAH will never be flood or bare.

In closing, if you play for fun as a casual gamer, you will have fun with this game. Your first few playthroughs will be awesome! Try classes, skills, play with firends and enjoy. Though if you choose to play past lvl 55 it gets really really ugly. Perpare to swear, throw things, feel underpowered, and persue the hopeless quest of winning the lottery by getting a drop you will use in inferno. Good luck!

#4 Posted by Kthunderthumbs (3 posts) -

Well if nothing good ever dropped, then where the hell did those people find the good loots to sell in the AH anyway? Did they just pull them out of their behinds?

N0tYrBeezin

I didn't say never. I said "nearly impossible."

This is the problem: you find "good" loot occasionally, it's just tiered 5-10 levels below you so it never ends up being an upgrade usually. The guys that found the early exploits and got through Inferno before it was patched were getting a lot of loot that was tiered below them that was still good. So, they needed act1 Inferno loot to progress. Melee classes need that loot especially( stuff that is a tier above the content they are currently in) so prices for Barb/Monk loot is astronomical right now.  Well, in act2. act1 tiered stuff drops a lot more than the act2 loot will. Act2 loot that happens to "roll" slightly lower stats is usually great for people in act1. So, they sold all the good loot that was amazing for people who just hit 60 at crazy prices, even though it was a bit behind the loot they already had. So they ended up with a ton of cash to fund their blacksmiths and they kept pushing forward to act3 and so on.

That one rare that's decent and at your level only drops once per act, unless you are rocking some serious magic find. Usually that drop isn't for your class and you have to take a 15% AH loss and buy an equivalent piece for yourself.

Ranged classes can buy stuff from the AH much cheaper than Monks and Barbs right now.  I found a 600 dps 1h for my barb that had str, vit and life on hit. It cost me 500k and that was a bargain. Most of them go for 1M. My wizard just got a 966 dps 2h for 300k that has int and vit that smokes my barb weapon.

#5 Posted by fanirama (926 posts) -
All good except I don't like that what you equip isn't what the animation shows like say in Titan Quest where the monsters actually drop the loot they're wearing! Meaning if you got a weapon or armor drop from them, they were actually wearing it and you could see it. Now that was amazing. Here, the monk can equip 2 swords but his animation isn't one of swinging the swords but of the same std fist smashes. The weapons are all statistical and not cosmetic. So, the animation is jarring and takes you out. You equip and spear, sword, dagger or even bow - it is all the same freaking animation. No changes whatsoever.
#6 Posted by pjfresh (12 posts) -

Really great review & thoughts by most everyone.  I wish I had waited to buy the game but put too much blind faith in Blizzard (well, the Blizzard of old I guess) and it is just a lesson learned.  At least there are a number of people in the same boat as us.

That's the thing that is so insidious about Diablo 3.  It looks great, draws you in through either newbie word of mouth or nostalgia but it is only after the 100 or so hr mark that many (non-grinder) gamers "hit the wall" so to speak.  I honestly am conflicted because I loved getting immersed (if only for a short time) in the Diablo universe one more time but I almost hate having shelled out $60 to Blizzard to put out such a so-so effort in terms of bugs, exploits, and lack of replayability or longevity.

#7 Posted by djwood84 (447 posts) -

Lol the first time I  played Keno I was like "Wait... what do I do? Just pick 20 numbers?"  JACKPOT!!!!!  :P  

The game has some serious issues.  I'm also not a fan of the soundtrack or pacing compared to D2 and D1. 

#8 Posted by Kthunderthumbs (3 posts) -

After the recent patches I'm still unimpressed.

Supposedly "Elite" packs are guaranteed to drop at least 1 rare if you have a 5 stack of valor. Is it true? Nope.

Supposedly Blizz balanced the discrepancyb/w ranged and melee. True? Not a chance.

You just can't believe a word Blizz says anymore. They ignore large threads of "laggy framerate" and "server lags like a mofo" but they will make plenty of inaccurate posts about balance issues apparently.

Edit: RMAH is a freaking joke. The whole AH is mainly a waste (unless you're sub-60). People are trying to make a fortune in a video game and it prevents the community from progressing as a whole. Pants-on-head retarded.

#9 Posted by Mr_Spotswood (2525 posts) -

Maybe if you didn't play the game 4+ hours a day, you wouldn't have run into a longevity problem. 

#10 Posted by Animorganimate (713 posts) -

The game is perfectly fine. Diablo III has way more content then most other $60 games, and far less bugs then some other AAA games.

I have around 175 hours into it and it's just now opening up. The first 100 hours is the tutorial.

Complaining just to hear ones own voice does not make an opinion any more valid.

The problem with this game is all the newbies who think they can come to a conclusion after only 100 hours a gameplay. But those are also the people most Diablo fans wouldn't mind seeing leave the servers.

So long.

#11 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

You have spent almost a quarter of an entire month (175/720 hours) grinding loot. You've played around 5-6 hours a day. That means assuming you sleep around 9 hours a day, you have around 8 hours of wake time when you arent left clicking. Taking eating, bathing etc into account you have around 6 hours left. From that you most likely spend another 2-3 hours playing wow or watching tv (anime), leaving approximately 3 hours left of time which you either 1: Go outside, 2: Study, 3: Exercise. 

From all of this i can tell:
A: You are not in high school
B: You dont have a full time job
C: You probably dont exercise
D: If you are in college you are taking only 1-2 courses
E: You have absolutely no life

So long 

#12 Posted by Animorganimate (713 posts) -

You have spent almost a quarter of an entire month (175/720 hours) grinding loot. You've played around 5-6 hours a day. That means assuming you sleep around 9 hours a day, you have around 8 hours of wake time when you arent left clicking. Taking eating, bathing etc into account you have around 6 hours left. From that you most likely spend another 2-3 hours playing wow or watching tv (anime), leaving approximately 3 hours left of time which you either 1: Go outside, 2: Study, 3: Exercise. 

From all of this i can tell:
A: You are not in high school
B: You dont have a full time job
C: You probably dont exercise
D: If you are in college you are taking only 1-2 courses
E: You have absolutely no life

So long 

q-bert39

Actually (and I know this sounds weird for the demographics of this community) I'm 31 years old, married, and have a two-year-old son. I only play on my free time, which is during nap time for the kid, and at night after my wife is asleep.

And you're right...I don't work full-time because I'm a stay-at-home-father. However, I do workout in my own preferred ways (I've never been a weight-lifting meat-head). I take my son on 3-5 mile hikes daily while exploring the local wildlife and fauna and looking for new adventures.

Believe me, this game has been a slight problem this last month because it has held my attention so well (and I probably haven't been getting as much sleep as a two-year-old's energy level demands). But I think I have most of it out of my system and am starting to wind down (especially since we just found out my wife is 5 weeks pregnant with our second kid).

Oh, and I hate anime.

The point of my original post was just to say that I wasn't expecting much from Diablo III. I thought it would be a fun click-fest, and it is. But it's sucked me in much more then I was expecting, and for that, I think it was money well spent.

I just think if people stopped nitpicking so much and just tried enjoying the game, they might be surprised.

#13 Posted by bryjoered2007 (96 posts) -

Yah I totally agree with the OP on his cons, but blizzard is the undisputed king of patches. Some of those problems are being fixed with the patch coming today. There will be better loot drops in late hell and act 1 inferno. The unbeatable elite/champion affixes combos are beind eliminated as well. The overpriced crafting is being nerfed so u might actually want to invest in crafting. Act 2-4 inferno are being balanced so you no longer need millions worth of gear to progress.

In the future they are also fixing other glaring problems such as weak legendaries and end bosses being weak compared to elite champion packs. As well as adding multiplayer. it is unfortunate that they did not have these features at launch, but sometimes a game needs to be played to iron out the kinks. THey have the basics down, terrific combat, good graphics/effects, varied gameplay across classes and within classes as well. THe AH prices will go down after the patch due to more people progressing. THe complete nerf of extra damage with a full party is debateable. It NEEDED to be reduced, but done away with all together is worrisome. We will see how that plays out.

Once again blizzard is great at patching games and say what you want about what happened to WoW I think most of the changes are for the better. For instance, the old tiered raiding system that burning crusade had was awesome for raiders who started at launch, but what about new raiders who had to progress through all the old content just to get to current content. Oftentimes, they could not even find a guild who was running old content, thus them being unable to progess. The new system still has the heroic mode for the hardcore raiders with the best loot while still letting casual raiders raid current content and newbie raiders raiding the older nerfed content, which is still not a cakewalk (you will not succeed if you do no know mechanics). Their new raid finder is a complete cakewalk, but it is also a avenue for people who do not have time to raid at scheduled times during the week and still experience the content. They get worse loot than even the casual raiders get, which seems like a fair balance to me. It's about making the game enjoyable to all from the casual to the hardcore and I think blizzard is great at that. Over time Diablo is only going to get better just give it time. Blizzard has a great foundation in D3 dont give up on them!

#14 Posted by Blubadox (3777 posts) -
Diablo always was a solo game, one warrior beating the game sounds more deserving than multiple people scavenging for loot.
#15 Posted by RedEyedMonster8 (1160 posts) -

Diablo always was a solo game, one warrior beating the game sounds more deserving than multiple people scavenging for loot.Blubadox

Well maybe for YOU it was a solo game, but D2 would have never been so revolutionary if it weren't for it's online play.

#16 Posted by Animorganimate (713 posts) -

Diablo always was a solo game, one warrior beating the game sounds more deserving than multiple people scavenging for loot.Blubadox

I agree with you. I always preferred Diablo II solo.

I played online once in a while, but was always disappointed with most of the community members I encountered. Plus, as you already stated, it felt more rewarding beating everything by yourself. The lone hero defeating evil.

Occasionally, LAN play with a friend or two was fun on a drunk Friday night, but I definitely think Diablo is a single-player experience first, and a multiplayer experience for those who crave that sort of thing.

#17 Posted by nimd4 (81 posts) -

It is hard to imagine the beta testers didn't catch them.

twitch007911
It's why/how they designed the game: only to make/create extra profit. Dungeon Siege II and Dragon Age (one) are far superior games, in comparison, unfortunately. If this is the future (WarCraft), no thank you.
#18 Posted by djball (354 posts) -

Nice review, All I can say is D3 is seriously flawed. Yes, High production value and fun to play, for about 100 hours before it falls apart.

LOOT AND CRAFTING SUCK, yeah really bad! In fact there is no need to even collect gold, merchants have ABSOLUTELY SQUAT. I'm guessing this is to promote AH or real money spending, I don't get it ?  By the time you reach 'nightmare' level 40'sh, Kiting an entire map against champions is pretty common because your weapons blow. 

The toughest fight in the game rewards F.A.! as does scouring every map... absolutely F.A. What a dissapointment.