Questions regarding Monk and Barbarian[ the meele classes]

#1 Posted by adrigt (253 posts) -

Hello all and please take the time to reply to my question.

Monk and Barbarian are the melee classes in the game  but after watching many videos and realising that they have spammable(zero cooldown) "mana" giving skills as well as of course "mana" spending skills i noticed that none of the classes actually uses the basic attack anymore.Never.

Of course skills are more fun but the basic  slash or hack doesn't even seem to be the minority now.

All in all i am asking this: my monk and barbarian will never use  their sword/club to simply slash/strike an opponent without the crazy skills?

And if i can do that , is there reason since there are mana/fury building spammable skills now?

Wasn't combat a mix of basic attack( to conserve mana) and use of skills while managing both?

Shouldn't the basic attack from diablo 2 be used at least in 10% of the time?Where is the hack and slash if i only use skills ?

(this is not bashing , i can't wait to play i just want more and more reviews to rule out the possibility of me not liking it)

#2 Posted by crognalsen (71 posts) -

You wont use the basic auto attack every, but some skills do you your weapon in the animation.  It depends on the skill.  Wizards don't often have an animation to do anything with their weapons.  Monks primary attacks seem to use mostly fists even if you have a weapon equiped.  Barbarians have a few attacks with weapon animation.  I think this is all mostly due to balance issues.  They want magic classes to scale the same as melee classes in terms of equipment.  Your weapon determines the damage of all your skills regardless if it's used or not in the skills animation.  It is a little cheezy, but you don't really notice it to much.  I think most of the skill animations are catered to that classes class only weapons.  For instance the monk has dual wield one handed fist weapons.  The wizard has a wand.  The demon hunter has one handed crossbows.  The witch doctor has a dagger.  While these classes can use most weapons their animations look most natural when using their class specific weapon.  My monk doesn't swing his dual wield swords that I can recall.

#3 Posted by Cobra5 (1949 posts) -
Most of the barbarians basic skills use his weapons to just chop enemies. Its a skill, sure, but he's still just hitting them. The demon hunter also will use his bow/crossbow for a lot of his attacks and skills. The other classes won't actually use the weapons you equip on them. Its pretty silly with the monk since he runs around with his weapons out, sheaths them to punch, and then takes them out again when he's done fighting. Its a little silly but whatever.
#4 Posted by Vambran (1920 posts) -

Except for the barbarian , none of the other classes in Diablo 3 seem to actually use weapons ( Melee ) , other than for stat boosts. The monk is the worst offender cause his weapons seem to just vanish into thin air every time he attacks something.

#5 Posted by adrigt (253 posts) -

Thanks for all the replies.

After some research it seems Blizzard admits the bad design call.

This post from them earlier this month shows that they added weapon attack animations for launch and that they will add some more later on.

Read if you want.

We?re certainly aware of how we?re handling our skill animation sets, as well as your feedback regarding the monk specifically. While working on any piece of the game we have to make production calls on what has the biggest benefit for the time we?re spending on it, because time is quite simply a very precious commodity. We made some choices, some that you may not agree with, to ensure a solid level of animations throughout the game. To make a call on not displaying a weapon during a skill may allow us to animate a multitude of spell casts for a demon, a higher priority animation for another character, or unique animation to ensure an in-game cutscene feels epic. Making the tough calls on when and where the game and players as a whole will benefit most is one of the most difficult things the producers, designers and artists have to do.

It?s worth noting that in addition to making those tough calls we take a logical approach to skill animations, and there are some where we purposely do not show a weapon. This is mostly for summoning or buff abilities where a weapon doesn?t play into the skill, such as mantras, or Inner Sanctuary. There are other skills where we purposely do not show a weapon because the concept of the skill is not connected to a weapon, such as Seven-Sided Strike and Lashing Tail Kick. In addition there are skills that purposely do not show a weapon because the skill is conceptually about the monk using his fists or hands, such as Way of the Hundred Fists or Exploding Palm.

There are skills though that don?t fall into any of those, and just should have been showing weapons. When you gave us that feedback we absolutely heard your requests for additional animations, and we added a full animation suite to the three skills where we felt the impact would be the greatest; Dashing Strike, Crippling Wave, and Deadly Reach. For us that was not only a great use of our resources to get it done, but we thought it was a very visible way to relate to you that we?ve been listening.

So, all of that background and info said, we still have plans to make even more changes and improvements in patches released fairly shortly after release. In a patch we plan to change Exploding Palm, Way of the Hundred Fists, and Fists of Thunder so they don?t hide fist weapons. Since the idea is that these skills are about the monk using their fists, it just makes sense to allow fist weapons to continue to show. In addition, as we continued to refine the monk class and our design philosophies for itemization, our ideas about what weapons make sense for the monk have changed over time. To see that philosophy shift through we?re looking at simply giving monks the ability to wield more types of weapons, complete with full animation support for their skills.

Hopefully that explains some of our intent with skill animations, and not just with the monk, all of the same thought and care (if not more) has gone into crafting the animations for each class and their skills. We're of course looking forward to getting the game into your hands in a couple weeks, and seeing how everyone enjoys the class they choose, and the skills they wield.

#6 Posted by crognalsen (71 posts) -

As much as I love the game I do wonder why they didn't just keep each class restricted to their class only weapons.  It would have saved them the time of designing non class weapons if time is the main problem.  Personally I try to use the class specific weapons anyway because the other ones don't make much sense.  Classes getting skill damage in crease from weapons they aren't using doesn't make much sense.