Is this game that bad?

#1 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

I know reviews aren't everything, but this game has been praised by critics, however, a lot of people say this game is terrible. Whats up with that?

I loved Diablo II and I know this is different, but what makes this game so bad? I am definitely thinking about getting it, but I just want input.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by BoSnerdly (172 posts) -

I've been playing since launch, and I'm still having fun with it. It's come a long way, and I think the creative team has learned a lot, so the future should be pretty good (unless you want PvP). The D3 community is full of haters, but keep in mind, as much as they say they hate it, they're still playing it LOL

In the end, the game is a huge grind. Of course. Making money is very difficult... very good items sell for next to nothing, but on the other hand, you can get amazingly good items for very cheap nowadays! You can build a very good bargain set for very little, and there are plenty of guides. However, the price gap between the good/very good and the great gear is HUGE. If you simply enjoy playing different classes and different builds, you should have fun with Diablo 3!

#3 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -
So I am guessing they aren't going to implement PVP? It looks like a great game, so I am baffled to were all the hate is coming from. :/
#4 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
Lots of people think its cool to say they hate Diablo 3, despite playing it for hundreds of hours, completing the campaign multiple times with multiple characters - you know, the sort of thing someone that really enjoys a game would do. Ignore the pointless haters and just enjoy the game :)
#5 Posted by MirkoS77 (7626 posts) -

I would not bother. I don't have any objection to the gameplay itself, but I do object to the always online DRM and auction house. There's a reason why money is so difficult to come by.  If you don't want to see such things in future games, don't show that you'll support it. But if you don't mind always on DRM and AH and the future ramifications they'll hold for the industry, then by all means. Just don't complain when the day comes that you can't play the game whenever or wherever you want. 

Oh, wait....

#6 Posted by Lahusair (151 posts) -
This game was rated 8.5 by GS. Its a very good rate. However its still a matter o taste how you rate it. I would tell, its the best game available in this category. Gamespot has made such a big joke by putting Torchlight 2 in the "best games of 2012" instead of D3. It was just as funny as lame IMO. TL2 is great game, dont get me wrong. But D3 is from Blizzard. Its a lot more solid than u can expect, despite the bad hype.
#7 Posted by N0tYrBeezin (6902 posts) -

For a Blizzard product, it definitely not up to par!

#8 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

I just don't understand? What are some of the complaints that people have? It looks to be an improvement and if there are bugs then I am sure that they will get ironed on. I remember Diablo II being plagued with bugs, but it was still an awesome game.

#9 Posted by SupaTrupa (1082 posts) -
1. It's too easy on the first two difficulties, they did the same to D2 in a way, but it was still more challenging and forboding without throwing off the pace. 2. The skill system means shuffling powers/abilities in and out of slots that open by leveling, so everyone gets the same character, there's no need to re-roll characters - you just switch up abilities on the fly. You do hardly ANY skill choosing or allocating, it's almost all completely automatic - they even removed the ability to allocate health/mana and other attributes as a major decision (saying everyone used the same build in D2 - really? My health/mana and attributes were largely dependent on the type of loot I found in-game. 3. The pacing is awful, you fly through some levels/areas, crawl around others, and instead of a couple of bigger, interesting dungeons that contain quest items and crazy stuff and a mini-boss, you get a bunch of one room basements and some boring, smallish caves that are hardly worthwhile and become nothing but a stall tactic to finish an area. 4. The Butcher's return and early battle (sorry if that's a spoiler still?) was so lame I couldn't stand it - goes down easy, and was a poor testament to that first run-in from D1 that was nearly impossible and incredibly dark and evil. 5. Even Diablo is a joke until you get to the highest difficulty, which makes it anti-climatic. Getting there should be a chore and take days or weeks casually, instead you just cut through ridiculous amts of mobs so fast you can't tell what's going on and then the game's over. 5. Auction House - Who cares if you find a nice weapon or bit of armor? You can always find something better at the AH or in your stash. It's MMO-like and lame, I miss trading straight-up or finding unique items in "your game instance" that makes your character unique. And then you can try selling your "great find" on AH and watch it go unsold forever unless you practically give it away.
#10 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

Made my decsion, it the first 5 minutes of playing the starter edition I fell in love with the game. It is true that it is different that Diablo II, but it a good way. I will definitely be upgrading to the full version!

#11 Posted by djball (354 posts) -

Ok so D3 is high production, fun and addictive... but for "dungeon loot" this game  f'n blows. I've logged a hundred hours since release, and have ONLY 2  legendary items. I don't want to grind, so the Auction House is a COMPLETE FAIL!! In other words D3 sucks until the AH is scrapped all together, and give us better drops. 

#12 Posted by Nova_Prime_85 (1 posts) -

I would not bother. I don't have any objection to the gameplay itself, but I do object to the always online DRM and auction house. There's a reason why money is so difficult to come by.  If you don't want to see such things in future games, don't show that you'll support it. But if you don't mind always on DRM and AH and the future ramifications they'll hold for the industry, then by all means. Just don't complain when the day comes that you can't play the game whenever or wherever you want. 

Oh, wait....

MirkoS77

what is DRM? (new to pc gaming)

#13 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

Ok so D3 is high production, fun and addictive... but for "dungeon loot" this game f'n blows. I've logged a hundred hours since release, and have ONLY 2 legendary items. I don't want to grind, so the Auction House is a COMPLETE FAIL!! In other words D3 sucks until the AH is scrapped all together, and give us better drops.

djball

You don't want to grind for legendary items, so somehow your logic decided that an Auction House that lets you buy those legendary items is a bad idea???

Maybe you would rather have the Diablo 2 trading system - the one that relied on trust - that when the other player had collected your cash or taken your item that they would do the same, and not just disconnect or portal away - cos that was just an awesome system. Of course that relied on you having trawled forums to actually find someone advertising the item you wanted, rather than putting it all together in a nice easy to search AH.

You know when you play a Diablo game you will have to grind for the best loot if you want to find it for yourself. That can't have been in any doubt when you started. You won't know the exact drop rates, but legendary / unique items have never been something that are thrown at you in large quantities.

The AH is not compulsory - use it if you want to - don't if you don't - just don't start moaning when "all the other guys got their better gear from the AH" because you chose to hate on it. There is no "I'm hardcore for not using the AH" badge. I've found loads of great items at bargain prices on there, and made hundreds of thousands from selling stuff I've found - it doesn't need to be L60 legendary to make money, and nor do you need to spend millions to buy some great gear. AH exists for all levels and all items.

#14 Posted by MirkoS77 (7626 posts) -

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Oh, wait....

Nova_Prime_85

what is DRM? (new to pc gaming)

Digital Rights Management (or Draconian Rights Managements depending who you talk to).

#15 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

It seems like everyone's complaints about this game don't have much of a solid basis are are just for the mere sake of complaining.

I haven't had any problem with this game whatsoever and I think people need to just stop whining.

#16 Posted by Kelteel (32 posts) -

It seems like everyone's complaints about this game don't have much of a solid basis are are just for the mere sake of complaining.

I haven't had any problem with this game whatsoever and I think people need to just stop whining.

Mighty-Lu-Bu

DRM is definitely a solid basis for not liking the game. No internet connection then no playing any DRM.

I had it on my desktop system and loaded it on my laptop but could not go anywhere for a weekend and

still be able to play. What did I pay $60-$70 for if I can't play it anywhere I want? Diablo, Diablo II and Lord

of Destruction I could install on a second system and play it anywhere I wanted sans internet.

---------------------------------------

Diablo III is a sub par Diablo II/LOD where you had complete control of your character and the strategy

behind the method you played your character. Diablo II/LOD was just fun to play for hours at a time and

I played it for over 4 years with an occassional break for a different game. Glitz does not make a game a

game good and don't wow me with special moves.

The problem with Blizzard is they forgot what made StarCraft and Diablo II the superb games they were and

why the gamers who were so loyal kept on playing. There were complaints about the games(D2/SC) but you

don't throw out a winning formula because of complaining buy some players. You tweak it (i.e. = patch) like

they did to enlarge the original Stash size and we could have used one twice the larger size.

I understand the need of developers to protect their intellectual property rights but the current DRM system

locked to the internet is a hard stop when it comes to me buying any new game. There is a better way. Find it.

Implement it across all platforms. They need to realize that no protection is perfect so an update system

would be required. It would have to fit on a thumb drive so I can install it on my computer without internet

access at my cabin.

that's my two cents worth ... take it or leave it ... don't complain if you don't like it ...

#17 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (1500 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

Kelteel

DRM is definitely a solid basis for not liking the game. No internet connection then no playing any DRM.

I had it on my desktop system and loaded it on my laptop but could not go anywhere for a weekend and

still be able to play. What did I pay $60-$70 for if I can't play it anywhere I want? Diablo, Diablo II and Lord

of Destruction I could install on a second system and play it anywhere I wanted sans internet.

Diablo III is a sub par Diablo II/LOD where you had complete control of your character and the strategy

behind the method you played your character. Diablo II/LOD was just fun to play for hours at a time and

I played it for over 4 years with an occassional break for a different game. Glitz does not make a game a

The problem with Blizzard is they forgot what made StarCraft and Diablo II the superb games they were and

why the gamers who were so loyal kept on playing. There were complaints about the games(D2/SC) but you

don't throw out a winning formula because of complaining buy some players. You tweak it (i.e. = patch) like

they did to enlarge the original Stash size and we could have used one twice the larger size.

I understand the need of developers to protect their intellectual property rights but the current DRM system

locked to the internet is a hard stop when it comes to me buying any new game. There is a better way. Find it.

Implement it across all platforms. They need to realize that no protection is perfect so an update system

would be required. It would have to fit on a thumb drive so I can install it on my computer without internet

access at my cabin.

that's my two cents worth ... take it or leave it ... don't complain if you don't like it ...

Having to be constantly connected is not a big deal. Its the 21 centurary and everyone is connected to the internet. If you don't have internet go to Starbucks for free wifi problem solved. If that is your only agruement, its a very weak one.

#18 Posted by MirkoS77 (7626 posts) -

Having to be constantly connected is not a big deal. Its the 21 century and everyone is connected to the internet. If you don't have internet go to Starbucks for free wifi problem solved. If that is your only argument, its a very weak one.

Mighty-Lu-Bu

It's not a weak argument.  Having an available connection is not the issue overall, for even if you do it does not guarantee anything.  The problem could be on their side.  You have a connection, so how is that the problem at all?  It's theirs, but it BECOMES yours.  Being online is inherently unstable.  To make a game contingent on it to be able to operate properly is asinine.

In addition, it breaks game modes.  You want to play with a hardcore character?  Well good luck getting through the game without having one single spike of lag at the wrong time kill all your hard work in an instant.  Not a small deal.

Have fun with the constant stuttering that occurs while playing as the game constantly streams data in real-time.  And have fun with the constant maintenance that kicks you off.  Have fun seeing the "server shutting down in 5 minutes" message appear when you're playing on hard and are almost to the end of the map but will have to replay it all over again due to a save system that is required because of online integration.

Always online sucks, period. It alone is more than enough reason to skip it.

#19 Posted by darkmoney52 (4309 posts) -

I just started last week, completed the normal difficulty for the first time (Would've gotten a lot farther but I can never commit to one character in these games). I can't speak to high level play yet, but the combat is the best I've seen in the genre, and the characters classes all seem like a lot of fun so far. The only complaint I do have so far is that the story is terrible. Not a big deal, but the game does emphasize story a lot more than D2 and the cinematics are so well done it's very strange and disappointing they couldn't have sprang for a decent writer.

#20 Posted by darkmoney52 (4309 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kelteel"]

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

Mighty-Lu-Bu

access at my cabin.

Having to be constantly connected is not a big deal. Its the 21 centurary and everyone is connected to the internet. If you don't have internet go to Starbucks for free wifi problem solved. If that is your only agruement, its a very weak one.

That's a little unfair. I do have wireless internet, but it can be a little unreliable and for some reason it's been crashing on a daily basis for the last week (Poor timing with me just getting into D3). It's usually just a five minute interruption but it is quite annoying and if you think "go to starbucks" is a valid solution... I don't know what to tell you. Would you really be okay with gaming at starbucks? I doubt it.
#21 Posted by Yonathan1996 (2 posts) -
I love Diablo III and it's a game that's just never getting old and I have playing it for a long time and i'm not going to be tired of it any soon. You should definitely buy it it's really worth the money, cause of all the fun hours you're gonna have with it.
#22 Posted by _fark_ (577 posts) -

All of the fun youhad in Daiblo 2 was stripped out and the grinding made so incredibly hard you never find a decent item. The game revolves around the real money auction house and generating some cash for Blizzard. Played it at launch, waited a few months and played it again, just tried it again. Has not improved at all which is a disappointment. 

#23 Posted by Katra (272 posts) -

I've been playing since launch, and I'm still having fun with it. It's come a long way, and I think the creative team has learned a lot, so the future should be pretty good (unless you want PvP). The D3 community is full of haters, but keep in mind, as much as they say they hate it, they're still playing it LOL

In the end, the game is a huge grind. Of course. Making money is very difficult... very good items sell for next to nothing, but on the other hand, you can get amazingly good items for very cheap nowadays! You can build a very good bargain set for very little, and there are plenty of guides. However, the price gap between the good/very good and the great gear is HUGE. If you simply enjoy playing different classes and different builds, you should have fun with Diablo 3!

BoSnerdly

This post is exactly what's wrong with the game.  It's based solely off the AH.  Lack of trading community which was a fun and invigorating key in D2.

#24 Posted by Katra (272 posts) -

Mighty-Lu-Bu

The game is fine once over but it has no replayability like D2.  You'll find out eventually and how you will have to rely on the AH to get anywhere, but for now enjoy it but you'll see.

#25 Posted by Canball41 (28 posts) -

The game is great. People just want to complaint about something.

#26 Posted by Forzum (247 posts) -

The game is really really good, it's a lot of fun. People are just saying it's bad cuz it's not Diablo II or becaouse they simplified D3 or becouse of the in game acution house or becouse they really want to complain about something. 

I have played it A LOT on pc, and now I will move onto the console, it will be a huge amount of fun to be able to play locally with my freinds who also love Diablo series a lot, but they havent got around to actully buy D3 for pc... yet.