Diablo 3 vs Path of Exile

#1 Posted by amekhov (968 posts) -

Having played both, I was really impressed with Path of Exile and not so impressed so far with Diablo 3. I haven't played Torchlight 2 yet so I cannot comment (I just received my beta email).

Path of Exile has far better graphics, a far darker atmosphere, more blood, and much better spell/skill animations. I am not a graphics ho, I still play Ultima Online and other older games, for me it is all about gameplay, but Diablo 3 has 5 year old cartoony graphics and that is a huge disappointment. The game is also not well optimized, I get crappy FPS on 2 nice GPU in crossfire and I have friends who need to turn down setttings to play the game to reduce lag even though they are using decent new computers, again not very acceptable for a game with old cartoony graphics.

Combat in Path of Exile can get a bit repetitive, and the story seems more intriguing in Diablo 3 so I will give it that much.

I don't like how stats are automatically assigned in Diablo 3, Path of Exile got it down I think with their tree system. The skill system in Diablo 3 is also not my favorite, I think they could have done much better.

I did have some fun playing D3 yesterday in some random groups, but I'll be waiting for the Path of Exile open beta coming in June 2012.

#2 Posted by MurderMode (301 posts) -

I reckon the Path of Exile devs are currently playing Diablo 3 and having a blast.... and at the same time wishing they had finished and released their game 6 months ago. Still, it's a free game so it should find some sort of an audience

#3 Posted by freestyler_85 (739 posts) -
man i really want to try Path of Exile, anyone have a spare beta key? I was in the D3 beta but I haven't bought it yet. I'm currently playing some other games so D3 is on the back burner for now. Path of Exile looks impressive though.
#4 Posted by Sentinel112 (571 posts) -
There already have been 2 stress weekends for PoE which offers everyone the opportunity to play the game. Would not surprise me if they do another one before the game is launched in june.
#5 Posted by OverlordGunnar (18 posts) -

I had a look at Path of Exile and i'm really too sure what you're talking about. The art style is generic and bland, it's just another example of realistic visuals... because there's not enough of them. Diablo 3 has the most amazing art i've ever seen in a video game. The whole game looks like hand painted concept art. I don't think i'm a huge fan of the levelling system, but the game looks absolutely amazing.

#6 Posted by ZRavN (103 posts) -

I had a look at Path of Exile and i'm really too sure what you're talking about. The art style is generic and bland, it's just another example of realistic visuals... because there's not enough of them. Diablo 3 has the most amazing art i've ever seen in a video game. The whole game looks like hand painted concept art. I don't think i'm a huge fan of the levelling system, but the game looks absolutely amazing.

OverlordGunnar
If you think diablo 3 has amazing art you need to play more games. Check out the blocky disproportionate models and ugly animations. I think the game looks dated and bland. Path of exile looks grimdark, realistic and amazing for a free to play game.
#7 Posted by ultimakid (1816 posts) -
Path of Exile is the Diablo 2.5 most people wanted. The skill gem system and talent web are insanely awesome and the stat system works in concert because of it. It's a fantastic game, especially considering it's F2P. Diablo 3 works, but it's barely anything like D2, lore and basic combat structure aside, and a few similarities like gems.
#8 Posted by troness (2321 posts) -
Path of Exile is solid. I've played both games though and Diablo 3 edges it out in about every conceiveable way. Diablo has better questing, lore, graphics, animations, combat etc. It's big selling point is the talent tree and even that seems to be a bit of a gimic. Yes, it's a huge talent tree but it's not that great. It doesn't open up completely new abilities and such from what I could see. It will augment the amount of damage you do with certain types of weapons, your resistance to fire, lightning etc. mostly all passive effects.
#9 Posted by MurderMode (301 posts) -

If you think diablo 3 has amazing art you need to play more games. Check out the blocky disproportionate models and ugly animations. I think the game looks dated and bland. Path of exile looks grimdark, realistic and amazing for a free to play game. ZRavN

I find it weird there's people who think path of exile looks better than Diablo 3. The character models look very mannequin-esque, the animations rigid and noticably repetitive and the world quite static. It's like you think a psuedo-realistic approach = better graphics by default, when really the continious stylistic approach of D3 is much harder to achieve

#10 Posted by Sentinel112 (571 posts) -

OverlordGunnar
Yeah right, fanboy. You want to know a game with supreme art? Try Trine 2. Diablo 3 has a mix of comic art and WoW cartoons.
#11 Posted by Sentinel112 (571 posts) -
Path of Exile is solid. I've played both games though and Diablo 3 edges it out in about every conceiveable way. Diablo has better questing, lore, graphics, animations, combat etc. It's big selling point is the talent tree and even that seems to be a bit of a gimic. Yes, it's a huge talent tree but it's not that great. It doesn't open up completely new abilities and such from what I could see. It will augment the amount of damage you do with certain types of weapons, your resistance to fire, lightning etc. mostly all passive effects. troness
Funny you say that because: * the questing in PoE is still being finetuned * most of the lore is being withheld and must still be implemented * the animations are way better * and the combat is as well. Path of Exile only needs more variety on the monsters and bosses, a better chat system, an optimized trade system, .. But at least the developers listen to their fanbase. That small company in New Zealand is working their butt off to give everyone the best they have.
#12 Posted by TruReview (2 posts) -
Diablo II was released on the June 30, 2000. Diablo III was released on May 15, 2012. Thats 11 years. Blizzard has been developing this game for 11 years and this is it? A very poor effort. I could have done better myself. Diablo III only supports DirectX 9c. DirectX 9c was released on August 6, 2004. This is when Blizzard froze the game in time. The game is built on a software platform that is 8 years out of date. The game is 8 years out of date. Blizzard should be giving Diablo III away. Current game technology uses the graphics card as an additional cpu. This game does not. Diablo III use of current GPU technology: DirectX 11 = no CUDA = no FireStream = no PhysX = no GPGPU = no DirectCompute = no OpenCL = no OpenGL = no Please do not buy this game. Do not give them a dime for it. Boycott this game until it uses current game technology.
#13 Posted by sobaka770 (47 posts) -
[QUOTE="TruReview"]Diablo II was released on the June 30, 2000. Diablo III was released on May 15, 2012. Thats 11 years. Blizzard has been developing this game for 11 years and this is it? A very poor effort. I could have done better myself. Diablo III only supports DirectX 9c. DirectX 9c was released on August 6, 2004. This is when Blizzard froze the game in time. The game is built on a software platform that is 8 years out of date. The game is 8 years out of date. Blizzard should be giving Diablo III away. Current game technology uses the graphics card as an additional cpu. This game does not. Diablo III use of current GPU technology: DirectX 11 = no CUDA = no FireStream = no PhysX = no GPGPU = no DirectCompute = no OpenCL = no OpenGL = no Please do not buy this game. Do not give them a dime for it. Boycott this game until it uses current game technology.

Stop spamming the same thing in every post. You don't like how the game looks, it's your damn problem. I don't care whether the game uses the latest technology as long as it looks nice. Actually wait, I don't want the game to use the top tech so that only a 3000$ rig can pull it off and then put it right in the middle of the uncanny valley.
#14 Posted by Master_Vexov (36 posts) -

I almost have a need to vomit from all the Diablo 3 lunatics, D3 hardly sets the standard for ARPG's. D3 is a muscle up version of D2 but with its flesh torn off... very unappealing for thoes who have eyes. Ya, D3 has a very large list of damage it causes itself and the series(as a game, and even lore). if you really consider what the majority of gamers are like(think all ages and all sanitys) then having the majority content with D3 doesn't really equal to nothing as they will slobber over every game, especaily over rated junk like D3 thats at best a 6.0/10. This may be a conversation from May, but its just sick.. but it was from a time when D3 was new and fooled many.. with all the LIES and hype created by activision before its release. If you love its fine, but really there is some major faults and it shouldn't be praised like its King in every area it brought.

#15 Posted by Psythce (1173 posts) -

[QUOTE="troness"]Path of Exile is solid. I've played both games though and Diablo 3 edges it out in about every conceiveable way. Diablo has better questing, lore, graphics, animations, combat etc. It's big selling point is the talent tree and even that seems to be a bit of a gimic. Yes, it's a huge talent tree but it's not that great. It doesn't open up completely new abilities and such from what I could see. It will augment the amount of damage you do with certain types of weapons, your resistance to fire, lightning etc. mostly all passive effects. Sentinel112
Funny you say that because: * the questing in PoE is still being finetuned * most of the lore is being withheld and must still be implemented * the animations are way better * and the combat is as well. Path of Exile only needs more variety on the monsters and bosses, a better chat system, an optimized trade system, .. But at least the developers listen to their fanbase. That small company in New Zealand is working their butt off to give everyone the best they have.

Your kidding right?

First I have both, and I like them both, but Path of Exile has many issues, one thing for sure, a FACT, is Animations are horrible, since when do people walk and run with there back straight with there arms stuck at there sides, and have no arm or body motion? It looks retarded.

Combat is fun, but extremely slow, but Im cool with that, but your Opinions are baseless and leave you no credit when you say Animations are better in PoE.

#16 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

IMO, D3 is simply a terrible game from top to bottom. I know there is tons of crap said about the game, but I honestly think D3 is a bad game, completely negative experience.

PoE is better, but has it's own issues. T2 and Grim Dawn will be interesting too. I wouldn't cross the street for a free copy of D3 at this point. I'd give it a 2/10.

#17 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

IMO, D3 is simply a terrible game from top to bottom. I know there is tons of crap said about the game, but I honestly think D3 is a bad game, completely negative experience.

PoE is better, but has it's own issues. T2 and Grim Dawn will be interesting too. I wouldn't cross the street for a free copy of D3 at this point. I'd give it a 2/10.

#18 Posted by RedEyedMonster8 (1161 posts) -

I almost have a need to vomit from all the Diablo 3 lunatics, D3 hardly sets the standard for ARPG's. D3 is a muscle up version of D2 but with its flesh torn off... very unappealing for thoes who have eyes. Ya, D3 has a very large list of damage it causes itself and the series(as a game, and even lore). if you really consider what the majority of gamers are like(think all ages and all sanitys) then having the majority content with D3 doesn't really equal to nothing as they will slobber over every game, especaily over rated junk like D3 thats at best a 6.0/10. This may be a conversation from May, but its just sick.. but it was from a time when D3 was new and fooled many.. with all the LIES and hype created by activision before its release. If you love its fine, but really there is some major faults and it shouldn't be praised like its King in every area it brought.

Master_Vexov

In your opinion. Some of you guys WAY over the top about this game, they make you want to vomit seriously? And than you go and call people lunatics.....

#21 Posted by SupaTrupa (1084 posts) -
I really enjoyed Torchlight II, if it had D3's polish and graphics engine, it would be everything I expected D3 to be more or less. Neither game has the dark, gritty appeal of Diablo II though, and Torchlight II's art and graphics are abysmal really, for the DX11 era any ways - 4-5 years ago it would've been top notch. Had to take a break from all the ARPG stuff though, overload.
#22 Posted by Nietzschie666 (6 posts) -

Im not hating on either game....both are a blast. I dont understand why people get so passionate about this stuff....just have fun with it!!