Blizzard, mass medias, reviews.

#1 Posted by fredyellowone (240 posts) -

I will make it clear. Diablo 3 is not a bad game. But deserving a 9 out of 10? Certainly not.

For hardcore Diablo fans, - i speak not for them all, of course - but D3 is more of a 7, 7.5.

It is a very good game in some aspects, but in some others : caracters, skill points, attributes being dropped off to a wow system, length, and inexistance of scary elements... d3 is not doing very good.

D3 seems to be now some sort of wow hybrid.

Do reviewers works for Blizzard, did they really played DI and II?

#2 Posted by Prid3r (8643 posts) -

like I said , Diablo 3 shouldn't be called Diablo 3 . but it is , and compared to Diablo 2 , which is a decade old , it's a lackluster game to say the least .

While diablo 2 had me for months trying differents builds , silly or not , this game will only hold me for a couple weeks if not days . im 12 hours in , and seriously , after finishing all difficulties , I don't see anything that will make me want to play through again . 

#3 Posted by y3ivan (535 posts) -

I will make it clear. Diablo 3 is not a bad game. But deserving a 9 out of 10? Certainly not.

For hardcore Diablo fans, - i speak not for them all, of course - but D3 is more of a 7, 7.5.

It is a very good game in some aspects, but in some others : caracters, skill points, attributes being dropped off to a wow system, length, and inexistance of scary elements... d3 is not doing very good.

D3 seems to be now some sort of wow hybrid.

Do reviewers works for Blizzard, did they really played DI and II?

fredyellowone
the team who work on D2 left blizzard and some of them decided to made torchlight. So i m guessing Blizzard uses the same team for WOW to build D3
#4 Posted by casper0324 (312 posts) -

Only played D2 a little bit, but so far D3 just feel like "another action RPG", nothing have really stand out on me yet. Don't get me wrong it's a good action rpg but I do still prefer the old school skill tree approach. It's nice to have a big hit action rpg to bring all my friends back online to one same game though haha

#5 Posted by Blubadox (3777 posts) -

D3 is not a RPG, stop kidding.

#6 Posted by reishid (144 posts) -

Blubadox
Yes, it's a dance simulator. Notice how your character tends to pop and lock every time the server experiences a hiccup.
#7 Posted by MindlessTeef (1392 posts) -

Dance Dance Diablo Revolution! That's funny:)

[QUOTE="Blubadox"]

reishid

Yes, it's a dance simulator. Notice how your character tends to pop and lock every time the server experiences a hiccup.

#8 Posted by BludshedX (23 posts) -
Well they called it Diablo 3 in fear that if they called it what they were considering calling it then no one would buy it, except little emo addicts of course. The true titles was going to be: Always-Online Single Player World of Diablo Player-Levelup Cut & Director's Cut (Because Cain dies in Act 1 and lets face it, you can't have a true diablo game without cain, Tristram and that awesome music by the guy who's now working for Runic Games, even if it does come from us - Activision.. I mean Blizzard!!) .. so they just called it Diablo 3.
#9 Posted by McGeinstein (42 posts) -

So does Diablo 3 suck just because of the decreased character developement or was the story and gameplay bad too?

I'm just wondering, because I'm mostly only seeing "Diablo 2 is better," I just wanna know what is exactly wrong with D3 so I can decide to buy it or not.

#10 Posted by BludshedX (23 posts) -
Gamers are venting all over the net. The general consensus (and from my experiences having played probably all of Blizzard's games since mid 90's) are: - Nurfed character development. And when I say nurfed.. I mean it.. there is none! Level 10? You unlocked skill x. Level 11, skill y, etc. And forget stat points. Your monk must be the same as everyone else's monk, no ifs, buts or maybes! Although you can improve him with better items! Which leads too... - Auction House (and Real Money AH) which virtually makes the game a pay 2 win game. The only way to be any different from others is to have different items. THAT'S IT! - Blizzard admitted to delaying the release of PVP to bring forth the release date. So much for Blizzard's "It's done when it's done" philosophy. A sign that changes are happening at Blizzard? Maybe they were scared of releasing a sub par game after the release of Torchlight 2? Who knows. - The game's story and flow is about as intreaging as watching grass grow. It really is. And it's sad because the cut scenes are actually really REALLY well done! Youtube them! They're worth the watch! Although my appreciation is maybe coming from the fact that I had to force myself to play through to the end of the act. You know that feeling you get when your out with someone or on a date and you just really don't want to be there? And once your free from the situation EVERYTHING is fun and enjoyable... yeah.. gameplay is dull and repetative. - Online DRM means that you can't play your single player game unless you are connected to the net... oh.. and Blizzard's servers need to be up as well. And don't forget that your game is actually hosted on Blizzard's server so if you have a poor connection, you will lag in your own single player game. - It looks more and feels more like a World of Warcraft game than a Diablo game.. and that does not need any further elaboration. - Voice acting is just horrible and ceaseless. Wish I could get my guy to tell the helper's to shut up once in a while. They got one guy to do the voice of at least 3 different characters. He alters his voice a little, but you know it's him.. and it's unlike Blizzard to be that cheap on production. ... there's many more. It doesn't hold up to Blizzard's standards so faults and annoyances stick out like dogs nuts. But if after all that you are still considering the game, let me give you one of my guest passes so you can try it before financially committing to it. But after all that is said, I must be honest. It is an OK game... but OK at best, and that's a really poor effort coming from Blizzard. REALLY poor. It's a game that'll fuel my gaming needs until Torchlight 2 is released. After that I can't see myself playing it much, if at all.
#11 Posted by fredyellowone (240 posts) -

Gamers are venting all over the net. The general consensus (and from my experiences having played probably all of Blizzard's games since mid 90's) are: - Nurfed character development. And when I say nurfed.. I mean it.. there is none! Level 10? You unlocked skill x. Level 11, skill y, etc. And forget stat points. Your monk must be the same as everyone else's monk, no ifs, buts or maybes! Although you can improve him with better items! Which leads too... - Auction House (and Real Money AH) which virtually makes the game a pay 2 win game. The only way to be any different from others is to have different items. THAT'S IT! - Blizzard admitted to delaying the release of PVP to bring forth the release date. So much for Blizzard's "It's done when it's done" philosophy. A sign that changes are happening at Blizzard? Maybe they were scared of releasing a sub par game after the release of Torchlight 2? Who knows. - The game's story and flow is about as intreaging as watching grass grow. It really is. And it's sad because the cut scenes are actually really REALLY well done! Youtube them! They're worth the watch! Although my appreciation is maybe coming from the fact that I had to force myself to play through to the end of the act. You know that feeling you get when your out with someone or on a date and you just really don't want to be there? And once your free from the situation EVERYTHING is fun and enjoyable... yeah.. gameplay is dull and repetative. - Online DRM means that you can't play your single player game unless you are connected to the net... oh.. and Blizzard's servers need to be up as well. And don't forget that your game is actually hosted on Blizzard's server so if you have a poor connection, you will lag in your own single player game. - It looks more and feels more like a World of Warcraft game than a Diablo game.. and that does not need any further elaboration. - Voice acting is just horrible and ceaseless. Wish I could get my guy to tell the helper's to shut up once in a while. They got one guy to do the voice of at least 3 different characters. He alters his voice a little, but you know it's him.. and it's unlike Blizzard to be that cheap on production. ... there's many more. It doesn't hold up to Blizzard's standards so faults and annoyances stick out like dogs nuts. But if after all that you are still considering the game, let me give you one of my guest passes so you can try it before financially committing to it. But after all that is said, I must be honest. It is an OK game... but OK at best, and that's a really poor effort coming from Blizzard. REALLY poor. It's a game that'll fuel my gaming needs until Torchlight 2 is released. After that I can't see myself playing it much, if at all.BludshedX

This.

#12 Posted by fredyellowone (240 posts) -

at this point, is there anything we (D1 and D2 hardcore fans) we can do to make sure Blizzard is at least making back the D2 way for aptitudes trees and skills? They could do that on a patch, i'm sure of it. And it would fix a lot of my bad mood.

#13 Posted by troness (2321 posts) -
My god. Same old same old. Diablo 3 is a good game. Yes, your abilities automatically unlock as you level but as you gain more and more of them you have the choice to use the abilities that you want to use. Furthermore, you can augment them with Rune's which can go anywhere from being a minor to very significant change to its ability. In the end, with Diablo 2 people went with the cookie cutter builds 90% of the time anyway which took away the customization that seemed to be there.
#14 Posted by ZRavN (103 posts) -
My god. Same old same old. Diablo 3 is a good game. Yes, your abilities automatically unlock as you level but as you gain more and more of them you have the choice to use the abilities that you want to use. Furthermore, you can augment them with Rune's which can go anywhere from being a minor to very significant change to its ability. In the end, with Diablo 2 people went with the cookie cutter builds 90% of the time anyway which took away the customization that seemed to be there. troness
I you don't think that the game will devolve into a tier list in like a month than you have drunk the koolade mate. There will always be good and bad abilities even if they are all balanced, its just group psychology.
#15 Posted by ShimmerMan (4446 posts) -

Just like DIablo 2 this game needs content filled patches to bring it up face. At the moment it's lacking the depth of D2's character building system, especially when you Include D2's rune system which was added later on.

The game is too short, it needs a ACT 5 and even ACT 6.

PVP should of been there at launch.

I definitely don't think their new skill system was a good idea, it kills replayability and also it doesn't add customization. Because generally you just pick your skills based around what works best at the time. You find a good 2h Weapon? ok use it and shift your skills around. The game is too easy? ok use more AOE abilities. Too difficult? use more defensive.. The game is practically doing the character building for you based randomly on what items and challenges it throws your way.

#16 Posted by fredyellowone (240 posts) -

Just like DIablo 2 this game needs content filled patches to bring it up face. At the moment it's lacking the depth of D2's character building system, especially when you Include D2's rune system which was added later on.

The game is too short, it needs a ACT 5 and even ACT 6.

PVP should of been there at launch.

I definitely don't think their new skill system was a good idea, it kills replayability and also it doesn't add customization. Because generally you just pick your skills based around what works best at the time. You find a good 2h Weapon? ok use it and shift your skills around. The game is too easy? ok use more AOE abilities. Too difficult? use more defensive.. The game is practically doing the character building for you based randomly on what items and challenges it throws your way.

ShimmerMan

question remains. How we, as players, can we force Blizzard to change that?

#17 Posted by fredyellowone (240 posts) -

Something is wrong when you install Diablo I, yea the first one - you know the game that started it all, and you enjoy it, really, a lot more than Diablo 3.

Yea, there is indeed a problem.