User Rating: 8.2 | Deus Ex: Invisible War PC
I never played the original Deus Ex - so I don't have that cranky, "You could do this, and this, and that in the first game!" thing going on. So I'm either more objective, or more uninformed, your choice. ;) I just finished the game, and I'm impressed. There's a real story in there, and Eidos was apparently completely unconcerned with alienating younger (or, uhh, more casual) gamers with big words and deep concepts. The game unabashedly throws big ideas at you like fish to a seal. And if you miss one, too bad for you! OK maybe that was a pointless metaphor, but I'm still impressed. I'm fairly sure I got the "main" ending, the one the designers likely viewed as the "real" one. Or the most "real" one. OK, fine, who knows - I sided with the main character from the first game so there. Anyway while slightly short - I liked the ending, it left you thinking, wondering. Right up until the very end I was having real trouble choosing a side to ally with. And in the end when one of my old classmates got himself killed, I felt slightly bad for him. Not in a freaky, the lines between fantasy and reality are slow blurring way though. More like in a completely normal, still well within the realms of sanity way. My main complaint with the game (and I'm not the first to say it) was probably the ventilation shafts. It might seem like a small gripe, but it's a bit of an immersion killer. Every building is practically brimming with person-sized shafts, most of which are cleverly hidden behind empty boxes and fierce potted plants. Giant, global conglomerates and secret world-ruling groups invest huge amounts of money and time planning every minutiae of their convoluted plans to dominate / save / purify / cuddle the world. Huge military bots, powered armor, and lackeys are all carefully placed in strategic locations to guard important things and look intimidating. And no one, not even once looked up and said, "Hey boss, should we be worried about that person-sized ventilation tunnel directly above our heads and over Container-X?" And the AI's are so frustratingly close to being lifelike that their strangely truncated field of vision seems a little strange. Even without biomods your character is basically able to save the world because he/she can, well, see further than the opposition. Oh, and turn on subtitles when you play. It's not worth missing important parts of a conversation because you missed a word, although the voice acting is great. Oh, and so is the music. I bought the CD for the band (Kidneythieves) who did the game's music, good stuff. Obviously I felt the need to whine about something, but all in all I really liked the game. Interesting story, hard choices (although the villains are fairly forgiving up until the end), and some interesting insight into the future of humanity? All the great stuff of science fiction.