Platform differences?

#1 Posted by King_Wii (175 posts) -

So I'm going to be getting the game soon and was considering what platform to buy it on. I own both the Xbox 360 and PS3 and I do have a high end gaming PC. However I play a LOT on my PC and I want to spend some time on my consoles. I've heard people on the PS3 complaining about PvP being laggy and large groups of players slowing the game down a lot. I was wondering if  anyone could confirm this and or also tell me about their experience on the Xbox 360?

#2 Posted by JuggaloZero (399 posts) -
Don't know how it plays on the PS3, I have it on the Xbox, but I can say the servers get laggy in the evenings when everybody's playing. Trying to interact any way in the game world can take a few seconds, i.e. accessing a vendor or switching your weapon will take about 4 seconds to happen after you hit the button. Arkfalls tend to have major frame rate drops no matter what time of day though, due to the number of players and the outdated specs of the console. They are, however actively working to optimize the servers for the consoles: tonight didn't seem as bad as previous nights, as I was actually able to log in without a server queue message and I wasn't disconnected at all (I had a few random disconnects Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, none Friday though). If you want a game with a currently smoother experience I'd say go with the PC, but if you're willing to wait for them to iron out the kinks go with whichever console you prefer, both are going to require some work on the part of Trion, considering this is the first major MMO release on consoles in several years. The only thing you'll have to worry about is the frame rates during Arkfalls, not sure how they'll be able to compensate for the number of people and enemies on the screen at one time with the 360 and PS3's hardwares.
#3 Posted by King_Wii (175 posts) -

Don't know how it plays on the PS3, I have it on the Xbox, but I can say the servers get laggy in the evenings when everybody's playing. Trying to interact any way in the game world can take a few seconds, i.e. accessing a vendor or switching your weapon will take about 4 seconds to happen after you hit the button. Arkfalls tend to have major frame rate drops no matter what time of day though, due to the number of players and the outdated specs of the console. They are, however actively working to optimize the servers for the consoles: tonight didn't seem as bad as previous nights, as I was actually able to log in without a server queue message and I wasn't disconnected at all (I had a few random disconnects Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, none Friday though). If you want a game with a currently smoother experience I'd say go with the PC, but if you're willing to wait for them to iron out the kinks go with whichever console you prefer, both are going to require some work on the part of Trion, considering this is the first major MMO release on consoles in several years. The only thing you'll have to worry about is the frame rates during Arkfalls, not sure how they'll be able to compensate for the number of people and enemies on the screen at one time with the 360 and PS3's hardwares.JuggaloZero

Thank you for the reply. Yah I'm leaning towards Xbox 360 myself. I asked the same question on the trion webpage and a punch of PC gamers jump out of the forums and started telling me I was a being silly for wanting an MMORPG on a console. I suppose Trion could lower the textures or animations of players when they group up in large numbers to help the flow of the game, at least untill a better solution can be made. Well thank you for your calm and rational response you may have just convinced me to go green lol.

#4 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

turn back from the dark side :P

JK - I have all 3, same as you, but went with Defiance on PC after playing it on PC during the beta.

I have a high end gaming PC (i7 2600K, GTX670, 8GB RAM, Win7) and it runs and looks really good on the highest settings. I don't have the greatest internet connection (avg 4mb) but I haven't really had any issues with lag or poor connection issues, even when playing in some massive arkfalls with 50+ people on screen all firing away at multiple large aliens. I've played about 24 hours already (did it only come out Mon night? oops!) and I've been able to get onto it whenever I have wanted and find plenty of other players around.

The only downside I would put for now is the lack of a social side - there is very little communication between players within game, though there are groups that have organised themselves outside of the game with a chat channel or teamspeak setup. If you are playing on 360 then you would have easy options like party chat which would work well for playing together with friends.

If you have a high end PC then I think you would get the best game performance from Defiance on that, but if you have several friends on 360 that have got the game then that could be a good reason to go with that. I can't comment on the graphics or lag of either console version as I don't have them to play and compare like for like.

#5 Posted by jmace1 (930 posts) -

DON'T DO IT. I'm an Xbox owner myself, but the developers diary on the official website is constantly stating biggest challenge the devs are addressing at this point is "Xbox Lag." They don't even discuss the PS3 as being a priority at the moment. I've purchased the title on PC with few issues.

Link to developer diary: http://community.defiance.com/en/

#6 Posted by Dameion666 (1 posts) -

i own this game on both pc and ps3 and play it on ps3 my pc is just above the minimum system req. and i enjoyed the pc but had more lag on pc and so far no lag at all on ps3 but as for targeting etc I think if my pc was better and the lag wasnt there pc would be better of the two but i have had no lag on ps3 so far  KNOCK ON WOOD lol

#7 Posted by i_noseworthy (1581 posts) -
Can't speak for the PS3 version, but I haven't experienced any of the lag many have spoken about on the 360 version. I was able to setup a character and get online right away, and haven't experienced any server problems so far. Now, I've only had it a few days, so maybe it's been patched? Really don't know. But for the most part, this game has played very well on the 360. And 1080p, for me, always beats 720 on the PS3... I know some people will criticize that remark. Oh well.
#8 Posted by TheTenth10 (3059 posts) -

I'm on PS3, I played the beta for about 5 hours, and the whole game for 20+ hours. Absolutely no lag, but been kicked out of the server once. The character detail is realy great, and each costume looks very nice. Even in assaults against very huge Messorans (don't know the name, the ones that are 50 ft tall) with 20+ players and 2 monarchs, lots of warriors and even more workers, all appears without problems, explosions, each weapons specific fire animation ...

I can't say for the PC version of course, it's logical it will be better for gaming PCs.

A problem I encountered in the PS3 version is the communiction. You have a "chat" shrtcut, where you can see your friends, but I still can't find the option to send a message (I have a USB keyboard plugged in), you can join group, do transaction, teleport near friend ... but no "message" option (that may be me not finding the otion though, it took me a week to find how to gt into the in game store by pressing L2).