need help with weapons

#1 Posted by TheTenth10 (3061 posts) -

I need help with the numbers for the weapons, which are best for shotguns, SMG, launchers, what do the symbols do like the fire or radiation one.

I think the reload must be low, but not sure about the fire rate and no idea what bloom is. I wonder if there is a relation with mag size and max ammo, as when you buy only mag size is shown.

Same thing for grenades and shields, not sure what numbers are good.

#2 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

Not sure on the weapon stats yet as when I think I've found the top value I seem to find a different variant or new type of weapon. For bolt action sniper rifles I think the highest is 1271, and for LMG (SAW) I've seen 404. For shotguns there is a lot more variety - pump, combat and sawn-off, but also you have those that fire multiple pellets vs. single slug - I've got one with over 1900 damage but is only a single slug. Another firing a typical cone of pellets around 90x8 and another that fire 12 pellets in a wide flat spread.

Magazine size is simply that number of rounds that can be loaded into the weapon at any one time. A larger mag does not also increase the maximum number of rounds you can carry - though there is a partial workaround. you can hold a max of 500 rounds for your LMG - so if fully loaded with 75 you could have the remaining 425 in reserve. If you then open an ammo box you can refill that 425 to 500, giving an advantage to having that larger clip. The downside is that as soon as you switch out to another weapon, or go into a menu and back it will reset to the ammo in reserve down to 425. It's handy if you were just about to go into a large fight / arkfall, or in the middle of a fight.

Reload is the number of seconds delay it will take to reload the weapon - so lower is always better.

Plenty of guns refer to high or low recoil, but don't have a visible stat for it. I think Bloom is possibly the closest stat for this - low bloom seems to let your gun pretty much remain on target after a shot, and the higher bloom means your gun will be further off with each shot. How useful it is depends on the type of gun and what you use it for. Some of the AR and LMG have burst fire but have different spread of bullets, so I think it's going to be a case of finding a model of gun that fits your styIe and sticking with it - so for instance I think that all EMC SAW handle the same as each other, but a VOC SAW may fire in a different way.

For shields you have overall protection, recharge delay and recharge amount. Recharge delay seems to be either 3, 6 or 9 seconds (though higher rarity shields can reduce this by fractions of a second - seen 2.85 on one). This is the number of seconds you must avoid taking damage before the shield will start to recharge. Recharge amount - the % of your shield you will regain per second once recharging starts, and again whilst you are not taking damage. This seems to range from 10% to 85% highest I've seen so far.

Overall rating is the amount of damage it can take before the shield goes down. Obviously higher is better, but it is balanced by the recharge delay. Shields with 3 sec delay seem to have 10-40% recharge amounts and overall strength of 1000-1200. Shields with 9 second delays have 1600+ strength and 70%+ recharge speeds.

Grenades - I've only really been using the fragmentation type as the biological or flash ones have unusual stats that I've not experimented with. I think I have one with overall damage of about 3300 and a min damage of 1400

The damage symbols are I think referred to in game as nano-effects

Fire (red flame) - chance to ignite and burn the enemy

Electrical (blue bolt) - chance to stun / shock the enemy temporarily disabling them while they spasm. I think this will also temp disable the HUD though only relevant for PvP rather than PvE.

Syphon (purple swirl) - steals health from the target and gives it to the shooter

Biological (green biohazard) - causes large sticky blobs to form on targets, slowing their movement and reducing the damage they can do.

#3 Posted by Shadowehart (5 posts) -
hey are you playing this on xbox guys? i dont mind having friends.
#4 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
hey are you playing this on xbox guys? i dont mind having friends. Shadowehart
No - I'm playing the PC version on the EU servers as Avenger Happy for people to add me if they want to play.
#5 Posted by Shadowehart (5 posts) -
we dont share network do we? cause i am on xbox live
#6 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
Sadly no cross-platform play. Apparently Trion Worlds have managed to get it to work in their office, but Sony & MS couldn't agree terms with them so, for now atleast, you can only play with people on the same platform you have.
#7 Posted by Shadowehart (5 posts) -
is it me or does the game become bland after level 224... all missions are repeats ... where are pepoing finding new stuff anyway. is there anyway to expand my backpack? i have limited space. this was ALMOST as good ad borderlands .. not quite. But i enjoy the combat
#8 Posted by TheTenth10 (3061 posts) -

thanks for the help, I like the game a lot, but I get lots of guns and apart from the animation and color changing, it's difficult to know which is better, so I'll check with this info

I have a problem with the Syphon power though, I've never seen it regenerate any health to me, read somewhere the effect is not immediate and there's a special sound or light when it happens? any idea if it's really useful or it regenerates only 0.1% of your health and is no use at all?

#9 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

is it me or does the game become bland after level 224... all missions are repeats ... where are pepoing finding new stuff anyway. is there anyway to expand my backpack? i have limited space. this was ALMOST as good ad borderlands .. not quite. But i enjoy the combatShadowehart

Different people play in different ways and progress faster / slower. I crossed 500 EGO and had only reached the Marin / Sausalito area but had done just about every available mission in Mount Tam and Marin, rather than progressing the main plot missions, and quite a lot of random side quests and arkfalls.

Remember also that EGO rating is a bit artificial, as someone that has done a lot more combat and earned levels through XP could have the same rating as someone that really focused on the pursuits to earn lots of bonus EGO.

Inventory space will increase naturally as your EGO level rises. The first few bonuses come at EGO 50, 100 and 250, then it seems to be every 250 after that. Add the bonus 6 from the arkfall codes and you can start to hold onto a few weapons rather than selling / salvaging most items immediately.

#10 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

...I have a problem with the Syphon power though, I've never seen it regenerate any health to me, read somewhere the effect is not immediate and there's a special sound or light when it happens? any idea if it's really useful or it regenerates only 0.1% of your health and is no use at all?TheTenth10

I've not used it much myself as each time I've found a weapon with the power it's been worse than an existing weapon I have.

I think it will become more effective by having skills that increase the chance of nano effects, so what may only be a small healing power can happen more regularly, particularly on rapid firing weapons likes SMG / AR / LMG.

#11 Posted by TheTenth10 (3061 posts) -

I'm beginning to be lost at hos EGO rating works, I' done a bit of the main quest missions and lots of side missions, at least one Arkfall attack each day, many small ones and at least 5 big ones, and I'm at 232 EGO ... Last evening I did 5 side missions and gone from 227 to 232. Why am I not higher?

#12 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

As far as I know EGO rating comes from 3 things - XP, weapon skill and pursuits.

XP is the simplest - there is a bar along the bottom of the screen showing your XP progression towards the next level, and a more detailed breakdown can be seen on the Stats menu. Fill the bar by killing things, doing arkfalls or missions or anything that earns XP, and when it fills you gain 10 EGO rating, but more usefully gain 1 EGO point which you can use to unlock or upgrade an EGO power / perk.

Weapon skills - using one type of weapon a lot and you will start to level up the related skill. Each time your skill goes up you gain 4 EGO rating. Don't confuse this with maxing the "weapon xp" of an individual weapon - that unlocks a new bonus for that specific weapon, but also seems to stop you from earning any more weapon skill XP with it. You can still earn XP from killing enemies, just not weapon skill XP - bit confusing I know and not totally clear from the in game comments. Basically once a weapon's individual skill bar is full there isn't currently much benefit to keeping it unless you like it for PVP or arkfalls.

Pursuits - these have their own part of the menu and give a breakdown of what you need to do to earn them. you need to complete all tasks within an individual pursuit before you get the overall bonus. Relatively simple ones will give +5 EGO rating, while some of the harder ones give +40 as well as new titles and outfits.

Since the game has no way to track how many XP levels you have gained, it has tied a lot of unlocks to your overall EGO rating. You gain additional inventory space at 50/100/250/500/750 etc. You gain additional loadouts (think the 3rd was around EGO 250? ) as well as being allowed to equip more perks in each loadout.

While weapon stats don't increase with your EGO level due to how the game balances them, I have tended to find that as my EGO level increases the weapons I find have more slots, and purple items have started to have more effects on them.