Weapons customization: unnecessary, pain in the ass, takes away from the story

#1 Posted by zephyros09 (10 posts) -

This weapons cutomization bullcrap is such a complete waste. The naming conventions are convoluted and confusing... every one of my friends playing DS3 is confused about something having to do with the weapons. EA did a poor job of giving you all the info you really need but more importantly, this was completely unnecessary and a total waste of time. I don't want to spend hours and hours tweaking my weapons... I want TO PLAY THE DAMN GAME! EA what the hell were you thinking? They should have spent valuable production time creating another multi-player instead of this weapons crap. 

#2 Posted by MarZMars (28 posts) -

This weapons cutomization bullcrap is such a complete waste. The naming conventions are convoluted and confusing... every one of my friends playing DS3 is confused about something having to do with the weapons. EA did a poor job of giving you all the info you really need but more importantly, this was completely unnecessary and a total waste of time. I don't want to spend hours and hours tweaking my weapons... I want TO PLAY THE DAMN GAME! EA what the hell were you thinking? They should have spent valuable production time creating another multi-player instead of this weapons crap. 

zephyros09

I rather like it.

#3 Posted by nu1mlock (12 posts) -

Fortunately you don't HAVE to be at the bench 10 minutes at a time and try out the different combinations. You could just use the blueprints to create a weapon you like. Or stick to one you've already created.

On the other hand, I personally enjoy being able to customize my weapons the way I like and my friend who I'm playing with loves it. But we're those kind of people who care about stats (sometimes a little too much, I admit).

Either way, I do agree with you that there's information missing. For example, you find a new part, but nowhere does it say what kind of part it is. Or which tool(s) they work with.

There are even some tools that only work with specific upper tips, like the Rotator Cuff for example.

I would personally want the parts I have/can craft to have a list with tools/tips/attachments it is compatible with so I don't have to try out every single upper and lower tool (yes, it depends on if they're upper or lower tips too!) and combination in order to know what the component is capable of.

But, like I said, if you don't want the customizing at all, just use the blueprints or don't change your weapon when you're happy with it.

#4 Posted by NTM23 (53 posts) -
You can always play classic mode, or do you have to beat it first? I don't remember. Anyways, classic mode will let you go through the game on hard difficulty with only the blueprints of the weapons from the original two Dead Space games; no customizing other than putting circuits to them, but by the time you finish the game through, you'll kind of hope you could customize them to a degree.
#5 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

As mentioned, you don't HAVE to custom craft, just use the stock blueprints, then the only confusion becomes how to acquire the necessary resources and what upgrade circuits to use.

At the start of a fresh play through without the carry overs of New Game +, both resource scavenging and upgrading can be a pain. There's lots of annoying back and forth upgrades that come with donwngrades, which makes it hard to forsee what are going to be the best to use. It's also confusing at first whether to spend valuable tungsten on things like torque bars for secret stash rooms, but for the most part I avoid them anymore, because I never get the tungsten and scrap metal I spend on the torque bar back.

No matter what is said in defense of the new crafting, upgrading and svavenging sytems, they definitely could have been made better.

#6 Posted by Fandango_Letho (5413 posts) -
EA didn't make the game. Visceral Games did. EA = publisher.
#7 Posted by Justinps2hero (2186 posts) -
As a DS vet, I'm a bit surprised at how half cooked it it. I messed about with it after upgrading my planet cracker, & ended up losing my maxed out clip size, so I just stuck to the Cutter & Force gun for the entire playthrough. I'll start messing on the next round. Another thing, why no booklet? I know it does a tutorial in game (like other games do), but I expected something else in the box, felt a little cheap. And for the record, I bought DS full price & pre-ordered DS2+3, so I feel I've done my part EA.
#9 Posted by Justinps2hero (2186 posts) -
Maybe your 7 year old could explain what you've just wrote, because it makes little sense to me?
#11 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -

zephyros09
Then don't use it, there is nothing in the rules that says you have to use it
#12 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1863 posts) -

It was way simpler and better in previous games. New system is a joke, waste of time.

#13 Posted by Kickable (1097 posts) -

It was way simpler and better in previous games. New system is a joke, waste of time.

KillzoneSnake
they could have changed a few things at the start to make it a little less confusing I guess, but once you figure it out it's not a waste of time considering you have more flexibility. I was a bit confused but not by the fundamentals of it. if there's any major drawback it's that it'll make the game a lot easier, and that's with only 1 slot let alone 2, but just add that to the list of things people don't like in general compared to part 1. Regardless there's basic blueprints for the old weapons that even have the same names as they used to, all you need to do is combine a frame and 2 other parts(3 for plasma cutter rotate), on top of that instead of the original SPC nodes you have the option to swap out any of those added effects whenever you want. I wouldn't be surprised if in a patch they redo the tutorial on weapons to be less confusing. I would hate going back to the old system now and it's a shame that others might feel the same if there weren't any confusion.