First FEAR now Dead Space, man

#1 Posted by nishanth12 (526 posts) -

I ****ing hate when horror survival turns into action coop

#2 Posted by BilkeLegenda (1933 posts) -

Dont forget Resident Evil.Its a terrible shame.

#3 Posted by KiPac (6 posts) -
Not only that. Microtransactions and straight port from console to pc.
#4 Posted by Fandango_Letho (5412 posts) -

nishanth12
Play Single Player. Problem solved. BAM.
#5 Posted by vengefulwilberg (1636 posts) -
[QUOTE="nishanth12"]

Fandango_Letho

Exactly. And while you are at it go back and play Dead Space 1 and 2. RE 6 was great; but they tried to do so much that the focus was lost. In Dead Space 3 you can play alone without an AI partner and there seems to be far more scares than RE 6. But to be honest once you have seen the scares in Dead Space 1 and 2 you have seen them all. Be thankful that multiplayer modes outside of the campaign were not added; because the game would be a lot shorter. The coop mode is the same as the single player campaign; except a little extra story content was added. To me this game is going to be a lot of fun. In my opinion EA paid close attention to the RE 6 problem and made sure they didn't make costly errors like Capcom.
#6 Posted by Niner0 (1601 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fandango_Letho"][QUOTE="nishanth12"]

vengefulwilberg

Exactly. And while you are at it go back and play Dead Space 1 and 2. RE 6 was great; but they tried to do so much that the focus was lost. In Dead Space 3 you can play alone without an AI partner and there seems to be far more scares than RE 6. But to be honest once you have seen the scares in Dead Space 1 and 2 you have seen them all. Be thankful that multiplayer modes outside of the campaign were not added; because the game would be a lot shorter. The coop mode is the same as the single player campaign; except a little extra story content was added. To me this game is going to be a lot of fun. In my opinion EA paid close attention to the RE 6 problem and made sure they didn't make costly errors like Capcom.

Honestly, I thought after seeing the first hour or so of scares in Dead Space 1, I thought I'd seen them all. Still jump on occassion while playing through DS2, and it's kind of tense as I die from two or so hits from the stronger fellas, but there's nothing new being brought to the table as far as scares go after the first hours of DS1. 

#7 Posted by Skuirrel (12 posts) -
I personally, can only take so many slashers crawling through vents before it becomes a chore to walk down a hallway.
#8 Posted by MathMattS (4005 posts) -

I'm not really gonna do much with the co-op. So it'll still be horror for me.

#9 Posted by ZaoQuan (42 posts) -

Who needs CO-OP in a "survival" (keyword) horror game. We might as well be playing Borderlands or some other Multiplay, toon shooter.

Dead Space means. Necromorphs are crawling out of the walls and vents in bleak, dark, rooms of dismembered mutilated corpse which are spattered across the walls of each room and corridor entered. If you stumble across another survivor they are likely to be an insane psychopath who probably wants to kill you. This is while your own consciousness is fading from constantly being under strain from the bombardment of the relic, obelisk. As you struggle to defeat the swarms of Necro's who make jump and curse as you have limited ammo and supplies on increasing harder difficulties.

How does this experience share with a partner? I am at an absolute loss to think this game will now even justified be played at all.

Nothing is scary as you grow up. However the atmosphere creates a memorable experience and should contain plenty of jumps and tension in a visceral setting as you struggle to survive this game horror. The previous DS games had this in abundance DS2 not as much but it was still an awesome game. With DS3 in my opinion they have have created a Borderlands toon game.

Multiplay isn't a bad idea but please create something different for it away from the campaign or story. Maybe a map with two unrelated marines facing swarms of Necro's after seeing the rest of there squad shredded first, or they face some boss together. Or maybe even a mode with one player being an infected Necromorph. Just please make any CO-OP outside of the campaign so the rest of us who appreciate a good survival horror game and play it without it being absurdly gimped. If you think that any game will be shorter by adding in extra CO-OP mode missions outside of the campaign. Look at shooters like COD, Battlefield, or Sniper. To find that this needn't be the case with additional CO-OP mission modes.

#10 Posted by Skuirrel (12 posts) -
I facepalmed... Have you realized that co-op is a completely optional system?
#11 Posted by zephyros09 (10 posts) -

Oh for Christ's Sake. You guys are idiots. Have you ever seen any Zombie/Horror movie where the protagonist is all alone, all the time?? There's nothing wrong with a co-op in DS3, in fact it makes a lot of sense. Just because most Zombie or Survival Horror video games have you all alone doesn't mean a co-op doesn't or can't work in the story line. Personally I think instead of wasting time on a co-op they should have made another Multi-player. EA, as usual, really dropped the ball on not making a multi-player for DS3. 

#12 Posted by theexperience13 (236 posts) -

The thing that makes me almost hate this franchise is the fact that they took everything that was scary about it OUT in DS 2. And now people on here are verifying that what I feared the most about this game is true- it's not scary. I guess I'll try and find a torrent or something of DS 3 or Ill just wait until its 8 dollars.

The first Dead Space was much scarier than Resident Evil 5, but RE 5 was a better sequel than Dead Space 2, and I'm sure Resident Evil 6 is much better than Dead Space 3 (comparing current-gen RE sequels chronologically with DS, obviously.) I know RE 5 and DS 2 were almost 2 years apart, but that actually makes it worse that a game with more powerful, updated technologically being used to program it is significantly less startling than its predecessor and RE 5. Honestly, to me, Leon's campaign in RE 6 felt more creepy than all of DS 2.

Resident Evil may not be just survival-horror anymore, but at least they're still putting suspense and scares in the game. Dead Space has just gone the way of "generic TPS" completely, it sounds like.

#13 Posted by ZaoQuan (42 posts) -

I facepalmed... Have you realized that co-op is a completely optional system?Skuirrel

Obviously you are still a child and make the same gestures as one. Or you would realise that this game is 18. No this doesn't

mean playing with my kids or family. Because this now means boo, and will make them go bump in the night, yer right.

The game has been gimp to *** it has made up for its unimagination and lack of story telling by creating something different an adding in CO-OP. Making an RPG out of it, I bet in DS4 they will have talent spec's too. This is against of principle of survival horror forgetting all of its loved roots. Yes I can turn off CO-OP for the Solo experience but the was never stand alone so it all reflects oin what is just another generic shooter only against necromorphs with guns now come on..........

Absolute Bull*** that because I have played the last two games those scares aren't scary anymore. WTF thats is just plain unimagination and lack of game design and story telling..

#14 Posted by P3nAlPineapple (7 posts) -
Good thread guys :) just letting you know If you want to see some Dead Space 3 content please head on over and subscribe and check out my most recent let`s plays on Dead Space 3 :) http://www.youtube.com/user/P3nAlPineapple?feature=mhee
#15 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

...while you are at it go back and play Dead Space 1 and 2.vengefulwilberg

Funny how halfway through it, this one had me wanting to play DS2 again out of sheer disappointment. The last half was a bit better than the first, but overall it's WAY worse than DS2.