Demo Was dumb

#1 Posted by boyrush (1 posts) -
I cant believe that the aliens now have guns to shoot you. What happened to real survival horror. This is another dumb action game. I am glad i played the demo instead of buying this junk
#2 Posted by kik4444 (298 posts) -
It's still like an actual Dead Space, did you bother trying to dismember the bodies, so the little head things wouldn't use their weapons
#3 Posted by adamg78 (636 posts) -

actually it was the aliens taking over the dead soldiers bodies which also seen that happen in all the dead spaces

#4 Posted by monza1966 (174 posts) -

There were a lot of things that I raised questions about. I hated the crouching. It was completely pointless AND it's the same button as the button that tells you where to go. That was SO aweful. I don't like shooting normal people either. I hope this isn't a flop like all of the games released this year, Such as Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Resident Evil 6, etc. I hope they were just showing off new additions to the game....

Monza1966

#5 Posted by Niner0 (1601 posts) -

There were a lot of things that I raised questions about. I hated the crouching. It was completely pointless AND it's the same button as the button that tells you where to go. That was SO aweful. I don't like shooting normal people either. I hope this isn't a flop like all of the games released this year, Such as Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Resident Evil 6, etc. I hope they were just showing off new additions to the game....

Monza1966

monza1966
It's funny how none of the games you stated were released this year. As for DS3, I haven't played the demo, but the crouch function and enemies with guns does raise my alarm bell. Think I'll wait until I get some player feedback on the game before I go ahead and join in on my buddy (who's probably gonna be too impatient to wait a day or two).
#6 Posted by etbny22 (1697 posts) -
Demo saved me $60 as i cancelled my pre order with amazon directly after playing it. Where was the scare factor in the demo, this felt more like an action game.
#7 Posted by Skuirrel (12 posts) -
Glad to see people taking the demo so seriously. Not like it was spliced together level to showcase the new features instead of being a showcase of the pacing of the game. People should really learn to read something besides crappy, biased forum post for their information.
#8 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

Glad to see people taking the demo so seriously. Not like it was spliced together level to showcase the new features instead of being a showcase of the pacing of the game. People should really learn to read something besides crappy, biased forum post for their information.Skuirrel

In the demo

1. The environments had zero atmosphere. They look pretty, but how are wide open spaces in broad daylight scary? Light and openess create comfort, since human beings are naturally afraid of darkness and cramped spaces. The environment in the demo is literally the exact opposite of what a true horror game should try to achieve. The blinding snow is a cool concept, but it doesn't really add anything.
  2. The enemies were no longer creepy or intimidating. I don't have a fear of glowy-eyed eskimos with pick axes, and soldiers/necros with guns are definitely a step back. The mini boss in the level was just...not impressive or intimidating in any way design-wise. The necros don't even look like necros, they're just completely lame looking and are impossible to be afraid of.
  3. There was no tension. Every 5 seconds another group of enemies appeared. The more you see of something, the less scary it is, and you see these enemies ALL THE TIME. The people behind this game don't get the idea of buildup and payoff. When you're mowing down so many enemies all the time, they lack presence and you become numb to them, they're just another hoard of foes that have no chance to match you. The new roll and cover abilities just make Isaac even MORE powerful than everyone else, which is a big no-no for horror. The protoganist should always be the weakest character in a horror game, only surviving by sheer witt and resourcefulness.

You're right, this is just a demo, a small slice of the game, but do you know what demos are for? To show what the rest of the game is going to be like. THIS is what the developers wanted our first impressions to be, and by creating the demo the way they have, they're telling us THIS is what the game is like. People have a right to complain based on demos. Besides, people have the full game and you can watch videos of it online and, yes, the full game IS like the demo.

#9 Posted by chums307 (10 posts) -

Agreed. I understand why these industries are leaning towards action, but it's not fair to fans. Any site I go to there seems to be more complaints than people actually liking the changes, but yet media says it's what people want. In my opinion, that's not true. It may be true for COD fanboys but it's like those are the only people industries take into consideration now. Oh well, nothing we can do about it.

#10 Posted by Skuirrel (12 posts) -
Your just proving my point. Most of the game, you don't even get to see snow. The game starts out in the same creepy hallways we are all familiar with on an abandoned flotilla above the planet. And the miniboss? He doesn't exist in an area even remotely like the one we fought him in. I remember from a dev blog that you actually fight him in a room with virtually no light, firing at glowing yellow spots while he tears you apart. Again, the enemy cram... It was spliced together man... Every area with an enemy served a purpose to showcase a new or polished mechanic. The very first necro? The way the snow hides necros. Consider it more of a... tech demo than an actual gameplay demo. Like I said, do your homework before you try to be a self-entitled gamer crying foul.
#11 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

Your just proving my point. Most of the game, you don't even get to see snow. The game starts out in the same creepy hallways we are all familiar with on an abandoned flotilla above the planet. And the miniboss? He doesn't exist in an area even remotely like the one we fought him in. I remember from a dev blog that you actually fight him in a room with virtually no light, firing at glowing yellow spots while he tears you apart. Again, the enemy cram... It was spliced together man... Every area with an enemy served a purpose to showcase a new or polished mechanic. The very first necro? The way the snow hides necros. Consider it more of a... tech demo than an actual gameplay demo. Like I said, do your homework before you try to be a self-entitled gamer crying foul.Skuirrel

Oh I've done my homework. I've seen the full game as a matter of fact and guess what? It's not much better. But that wasn't even really my point. My point is that the demo is what the developers want us to think of the game, and that it indicates the direction they've chosen for it. If the demo is not a proper representation of the game, then that's the developers fault for giving us a false impression.

#12 Posted by Paoksis (479 posts) -

Agreed. I understand why these industries are leaning towards action, but it's not fair to fans. Any site I go to there seems to be more complaints than people actually liking the changes, but yet media says it's what people want. In my opinion, that's not true. It may be true for COD fanboys but it's like those are the only people industries take into consideration now. Oh well, nothing we can do about it.

chums307

every COD game has peeked in charts,you know why?Because there are people(stupid,yet many) supporting it....The developers will go where the numbers lie...If people embargoed these kind of sellout changes,then you'd see true change....since people are dumb and are eating what the media is dishing them out,developers wont give a  sh!t  if dead space lost its true feeling since the new direction is gonna give em more sales

#13 Posted by chums307 (10 posts) -

exactly

#14 Posted by Skuirrel (12 posts) -

[QUOTE="chums307"]

Paoksis

every COD game has peeked in charts,you know why?Because there are people(stupid,yet many) supporting it....The developers will go where the numbers lie...If people embargoed these kind of sellout changes,then you'd see true change....since people are dumb and are eating what the media is dishing them out,developers wont give a  sh!t  if dead space lost its true feeling since the new direction is gonna give em more sales

I lol'd. Yet another crusader rises to explain how COD is manipulating the media to sway the opinion of the masses. Fitting plot for a COD game... Your a COD spy aren't you?
#15 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

Skuirell, you're not even trying to hide the fact that you're twelve years old, are you? 

#16 Posted by Skuirrel (12 posts) -
Why hide my shame if I have none to hide?
#17 Posted by Marine122 (68 posts) -

Wait a second you guys actually jumped while playing the original dead space and dead space 2? Shocker, i guess the PTSD hasnt got to me yet.

#18 Posted by chums307 (10 posts) -

haha xD I get scared easily. It wasn't as scary compared to like, Condemned, but it had it's monments. 

#19 Posted by Shimonhead (75 posts) -

I urge you to reconsider...the demo was cobbled together bits of a very long area...none of that is like what it is in the real game. I too was like...meh. But I got it and am blown away by how good it is. Ever wanted to come across a derelict hulking spacecraft that's been drifting in space for 200 years and board it? Alone?? Well if so, all I can say is Dead Space 3 delivers that scenario in spades. There's like 7 hours of amazing horror before you even get to the area the demo was made from. This was the best game in the series.

#20 Posted by Shimonhead (75 posts) -

yep

#21 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

I'll buy it out of loyalty to the franchise, but definitely not a full price game for me.

#22 Posted by P3nAlPineapple (7 posts) -
If you want to see some Dead Space 3 content please head on over and subscribe and check out my most recent let`s plays on Dead Space 3 http://www.youtube.com/user/P3nAlPineapple?feature=mhee