Is this game better than Skyrim?

#1 Posted by sammybarkin (662 posts) -

Thinking about trading skyrim in for this game... Although i enjoyed skyrim, and I know its a great game, I just kinda got bored with it, as i havent played it in over a month, maybe more, with around 85 hours played.

Now I know the whole "this is the hardest game ever" thing with Dark souls, but Im the type of person who likes a challenge, and I dont give up easily.

To the peeps who have played both, will I regret trading in skyrim for this?    

PS: Can i buy Dark souls used, like is there any online pass or w/e, used is 5 bucks cheaper than new.

THANKS,

#2 Posted by bfa1509 (100 posts) -

I put many hours into both games. In my opinion, Dark souls is a breath of fresh air compared to skyrim. Here are the reasons:

1. Loading/Saving. Practically non existant in dark souls compared to skyrim.

2. Contentwise Skyrim is bigger. But dark souls took me 80+ hours to finish and thats not including hidden areas or replaying on a harder difficulty. (but then i was savouring every moment)

3. Skyrim involves a lot of mindless hacking with a sword, axe etc. Dark souls requires strategy. No mistakes go unpunished.

4. Dark souls has the best online features i've ever seen.

5. Enemies are far more interesting in Dark Souls. 

6. In terms of visuals, Dark Souls has a twinkle that Skyrim lacks.

7. In terms of sound, I will not insult dark souls by making a comparison.

8. There are many more reasons i cant think of right now.

If i were to keep one of the games, i would definitely keep dark souls. 

It should be fine second hand, no codes come with it. Its worth every cent new though. Good luck.

#3 Posted by sammybarkin (662 posts) -

I put many hours into both games. In my opinion, Dark souls is a breath of fresh air compared to skyrim. Here are the reasons:

1. Loading/Saving. Practically non existant in dark souls compared to skyrim.

2. Contentwise Skyrim is bigger. But dark souls took me 80+ hours to finish and thats not including hidden areas or replaying on a harder difficulty. (but then i was savouring every moment)

3. Skyrim involves a lot of mindless hacking with a sword, axe etc. Dark souls requires strategy. No mistakes go unpunished.

4. Dark souls has the best online features i've ever seen.

5. Enemies are far more interesting in Dark Souls. 

6. In terms of visuals, Dark Souls has a twinkle that Skyrim lacks.

7. In terms of sound, I will not insult dark souls by making a comparison.

8. There are many more reasons i cant think of right now.

If i were to keep one of the games, i would definitely keep dark souls. 

It should be fine second hand, no codes come with it. Its worth every cent new though. Good luck.

bfa1509
Thanks man :D
#4 Posted by bfa1509 (100 posts) -

I wouldnt get rid of skyrim by the way. Its not a bad game at all.

#5 Posted by Juice_03 (80 posts) -

Going to agree.

#6 Posted by kappa12764 (792 posts) -

is a ford mustang better than a chevy suburban ?

#7 Posted by fanirama (926 posts) -

Although it may seem unfair to compare 2 games since you are asking, I will confirm what someone with the list said earlier - Dark Souls is indeed a vastly superior game than Skyrim in my opinion. 

Here's why

1. Combat = In Skyrim, you can mindlessly swing and you may/may not connect and you don't know really how much damage is being done etc. In Dark Souls, you can lock on, you know the damage per hit and damage indicators are more precise. The control is very tight and the combat needs strict discipline. It is not cheap but very strict. You need to block when you should block, back up when you must, roll when you must and swing when you must and stop swinging when you must and regain stamina when you must. Failure to follow these rules WILL result you in taking damage  and sometimes is fatal to your char. But each time you get hit, you *know* it was your fault. You die and learn from that and avoid that the next time. In effect, it prepares you and actually earns your respect.

2. Graphics = Skyrim wins hands down here. Lush visuals, gorgeous vistas. Dark souls is mostly...well dark and brooding. I don't know what sick mind came up with the grotesque looking enemies in Dark Souls but that guy should win a medal for it. Dark Souls' strength is not its visuals. It is good but not exceptional. However, the attention to detail in those visuals is staggering in Dark Souls

3. Sound = Dark Souls wins hands down

4. RPG'ness = Dark Souls has great levelling system, souls are a great unique currency, very precious

5. Online features = Dark Souls wins hands down. 

Overall, Dark Souls is a 9.5 / 10 in the RPG genre. Skyrim is perhaps a 7.5/10 at most for me. 

#8 Posted by hansmacher (900 posts) -

is a ford mustang better than a chevy suburban ?

kappa12764
so you are saying both skyrim and dark souls are terrible games?
#9 Posted by Apocalypse324 (1486 posts) -
Dark Souls is nothing short pf amazing...Dark and Demons Souls are by far my two favorite games this gen. Skyrim on the other hand...I was the same as you, I put around 70 hours into it ,but it took me around 3 months to do so. The game was good but got boring amd repetitive often so I had to take long breaks in between playing. Dark Souls on the other hamd I put 70 hours in within the first week or so...Beat the game but can still go through and play it several times over with new characters or with the same one and not get tired of it...thats even without going online...play online and its that much better. I loved Morrowind and enjoyed Oblivion...While Skyrim was a huge improvement in several things for the Elder Scrolls series...It just wasnt blown away by...So yea, Id trade two copies of Skyrim for Dark Souls
#10 Posted by Chemistian (635 posts) -

Personally, I think Skyrim is a much better game than Dark Souls. However, if you have played both Oblivion and Morrowind to the point where you have largely conquered each game, I would recommend Dark Souls.

Skyrim is great, but like the other two Elder Scrolls, the game is still largely: Talk to NPC, travel to dungeon, acquire thing, return to NPC, collect reward, talk to different NPC, repeat to infinity in a massive and beautiful world. Even though Skyrim renames some of the guilds, at the end of the day: how many times can one take over the Thieves, Fighters/Companions, Mages (Guild or College), Dark Brotherhood/Morog Tong, etc.? I've done it multiple times in three games, now. It is time to spice it up more than a bit.

If you haven't played the previous Elder Scrolls games: Skyrim > Dark Souls. If you have played both alot: Dark Souls > Skyrim. IMHO.

#11 Posted by Poordevil (186 posts) -

If you are bored with Skyrim, pick up Dark Souls. I garantee you will never be bored playing Dark souls. You might be frustrated, discouraged, beaten, victorious, eleated, relieved, all in one sitting, but you will not ever be bored. One thing Dark Souls never is, is boring.

#12 Posted by Taffenaff (4 posts) -
I guess you are already convinced about buying Dark Souls. do it!
#13 Posted by kelt321 (2198 posts) -

I have played both.

Skyrim - about 150 hours over 2 characters (mage and melee), loved it

Dark Souls - 400+hours over 14 characters

I would go to Amazon and but it there. it's like $35 for a new copy with free shipping, even cheaper if u buy it used

I squezed a lot out of skyrim, but like u I got bored with it. With Dark souls I u will need a lot of time to sqeeze everything

I would buy Dark souls and still keep Skyrim, since there will be some DLCs coming this summer

#14 Posted by FastEddie2121 (3081 posts) -
I'd hold onto skyrim, but get DS. The sooner the better since the multiplayer community will only be getting smaller.
#15 Posted by GunEye (822 posts) -

Skyrim is a fantastic game which takes a great formula and evolves it into a whole new level. Improving upon nearly everything that was lacking in previous games. Here are some reason why:

1) Level design in Skyrim is incredible, top notch really - from the gorgeous overwhelming landscape to the elaborate and highly rewarding dungeons. Dark Souls' level design is also better than DeS. 

2) Skyrim audio and music are superb, they are better and more profound than Oblivion. In my opinion - DkS most of the music is pretty much forgettable  - BUT the atmosphere in Dark Souls is just right.

3) Leveling up. Definitely something Skyrim excel in my opinion more that ANY onther RPG game. Each new level grant you a significant new ability or upgrade. You can feel it. I make leveling up a treat and keeps you going further and further.

All in all, both games are simply great, masterpieces.

If you ask me, hold on to both of them if you can.

#16 Posted by Dead-Memories (6586 posts) -

skyrim is so bland and boring compared to dark souls. I can come back to dark souls after months of inactivity and get right back into the despondent and rewarding world. the level design in the whole dark souls makes Skyrim look like a toddler game.

Skyrim's novelty wore off far too soon, as in, right after the first dragon fight. 

Dark Souls is the game of the generation. 

#17 Posted by SethStone (116 posts) -

I agree that Dark souls is great but some of you are out of your mind saying that the sound is better than in skyrim. lol

#18 Posted by kelt321 (2198 posts) -

agreed, i love music and sound in skyrim