what is best weapon and light armor for sorcerer ?

#1 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

I'm Sorcerer SL 80 ( not going for pure sorcere build tho, mix of everything so i can also use few miracles as heal or homeworld, lighting weapons or melee weapons as any powerful bows, moonlight greatsword or good magic weapons ).

My current stats , weapons , gear :

VIG 8

END 10

VIT 10

ADAP 8

STR 18

DEX 18

INT 20

ATTN 20 ( To unlock 4 slots )

FTH 18

Weapons of choice till now ( Sorcerer staff + 5, Brigand Armor , Fire Sword + 3 ,Shortbow, Chime ).

I'm currently in Sinners Rise before boss.

Please suggest me best weapon and light gear for my sorcerer build.

P.S- not planning to use hexes , just pure sorcery.

please advise freinds , thanking in advance :)

#2 Posted by ZDragonLord (75 posts) -

First of all, get to the undead crypt ASAP! The leydia pyromancers that spawn via the gravestones drop one of my favorite mage weapons, the blue flame. It is a sword, no a catalyst, no BOTH. at +5 it is really good (13 STR, 15 DEX, 12 INT).

Next, for armor, depends on light or medium armor (good roll, or fair roll). If medium is fine, elite knight is an awesome option. Alva's set (sold by maughlin) is very light and fairly good. If light, the lion mage set (need yore branch to unpertify a lion warrior in the shaded ruins bonfire that is blocking a path) and it increases casting speed with each piece.

Currently my main started as a mage, but is now wearing full Havel with tower shield (roll is fair), and the blue flame, all maxed. That, and the fact I have the lv 64 INT soul geyser spell :p

#3 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

@zdragonlord said:

First of all, get to the undead crypt ASAP! The leydia pyromancers that spawn via the gravestones drop one of my favorite mage weapons, the blue flame. It is a sword, no a catalyst, no BOTH. at +5 it is really good (13 STR, 15 DEX, 12 INT).

Next, for armor, depends on light or medium armor (good roll, or fair roll). If medium is fine, elite knight is an awesome option. Alva's set (sold by maughlin) is very light and fairly good. If light, the lion mage set (need yore branch to unpertify a lion warrior in the shaded ruins bonfire that is blocking a path) and it increases casting speed with each piece.

Currently my main started as a mage, but is now wearing full Havel with tower shield (roll is fair), and the blue flame, all maxed. That, and the fact I have the lv 64 INT soul geyser spell :p

How can i reach Undead Crypt ? I'm atm in two places Sinners Place ( Boss Fight ) and Belfry Luna ( fighting 6 gargoyles and getting my ass kicked thrice already :( ), i don't even see any summon sign before gargoyle boss fight :(

How do i also get Alva's set or lion mage set from my loaction ? Please advise.

#4 Posted by ZDragonLord (75 posts) -

sadly, the crypt is not until you have gathered all 4 "major souls" (primal bosses: lost sinner, iron king, dukes dear freja, and the rotten) and gone through a large part of the game past the shrine of winter, but here is a start. Alvas is from the merchant in macula (not the smith, the guy in yellow) and her armor is unlocked after spending 16k on him.Just a FYI, the gargoyles are optional, not much past them, so it wouldn't hurt leaving and coming back (same with chariot). If you want to find summons, try the bonfire before it, usually more traffic there.

#5 Edited by faragon70 (38 posts) -

If your going dark there is a set given by an npc on the path toward the poison filled zone (forget the name at this time). It's called the hexxer set you get a staff and 4 pieces. Only downside is you need twinkling titanite to upgrade which im doing slowly.

#6 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

Thanks guys, i'll keep the info in mind. Currently getting my ass kicked by the forest demons ( monsters with whips ) before chariot boss ( Undead Purgarotory ) , all 4 attacking me at once as soon as i reach the bridge to the boss :(

#7 Edited by icemania2000 (6 posts) -

Just mentioning it although its damn near the rarest thing in the game any cleric or sorcerer should be looking for the Black with staff it has the ability to cast hexes,sorceries and miracles and its base damage stats are 110 for lightning,fire,dark,and magic damage fully upgraded 220 for all said and it takes titanite to upgrade..........Location:The invader right before you make it to the demon of song or whatever his name is down there in the shrine of armana.It has a 1/100 chance of dropping so be sure to have on as much item discovery as virtually possible if you want it.....Oh and before anyone freaks out saying its not the rarest in the game i am aware if your refering to the pig that you have to lead all the way to the mushrooms from the tesladora camp just to get the pickaxe because that pig has a 1/1000 chance of spawning but that pickaxe is well worth it.

Sources:Personal gameplay and 7 Characters all above level 90

#8 Posted by nosmokingbandit (43 posts) -

That boss fight is optional. Come back later and it will be super easy.

#9 Edited by Lyrebon (979 posts) -

I'll second the Alva armour, it provides amazing physical defence even when it's not upgraded. Another set I like is the Black Robe, which gives good physical defence and even better elemental resistances (switch between Alva and Black depending on the enemy). You can get the Alva set from Maughlin after spending 16,000 souls in his shop (although the breastplate costs 8,000 alone), and the Black set is given to you by Straid for spending a similar amount of souls.

The Tights of Judgement you get from behind a Pharros lock in the Dragon Shrine is also one of my preferred leggings.

@indzman Lure those guys out and fight them one-on-one. Depending on your build their attacks are simple enough to dodge once you learn their animations. They normally attack in strings of three, in which you should be able to land a hit or two, or more if you manage to stagger them (they're easily staggered). Taking them on as a group is a terrible idea. I think even awesome players would struggle with that so you're not alone.

#11 Edited by Hellcanwait (848 posts) -

as mentioned above, the Black set is great for any sorcerer, so is the Chaos set given to you by Felkin the Outcast, both sets will boost your int. and casting speed.

as for weapons, nothing beats Staff of Wisdom when you're a sorcerer.

#13 Posted by amillionhp (482 posts) -

Not sure if the OP has realized this or not yet because the thread is over a month old but that stat spread you've posted is very bad for a sorcerer.

Every last point of that 18 FTH should go either to INT or ATTN. Depending on what spells you want to cast but keeping it like that strictly for heals is quite a waste when you should just use Estus and life gems. And Homeward bones effectively make Homeworld miracle pretty useless. I always have more than enough Homeward bones no matter what just by finding them. I say ATTN because it not only affects available slots but also cast speed and some spells require more than one slot. So in other words if you select two Sorceries that require two slots, that would be all you could use.

18 STR and DEX? I'd say only if you really want a specific weapon that requires those exact stats. Otherwise i'm not sure why you would invest that much into stats that don't boost spell damage. I hope you're aware that shortly, you will be able to infuse magic onto a weapon of choice and have that damage scale with your INT. My guess is you're planning on a Moonlight Greatsword in the future but it should be noted that the first possible chance you have to obtain that weapon wont come for a while and on top of that, you will have to burn a Bonfire Ascetic, then clear that boss in essentially Newgame+ in order to get it. In other words, the 18 stat investment into STR and DEX can be put off for quite a while, especially considering you're not getting much benefit out of it right now.

Your VIG and END looks like its close to if not completely base level which i don't know why you made that choice. This isn't a game where you will not be hit. You need that life and endurance higher to survive. That is partially why you're getting your ass kicked.

There is an item called a "soul vessel" which allows you to completely redo all your stats. Bring that to the old firekeepers from the very beginning of the game and they will offer the service. My first advice is to remove that FTH entirely and probably remove most of that STR and DEX as well. That Fire Sword will receive bonus damage from INT just like it did from STR and DEX.

#14 Posted by mbrockway (3550 posts) -

You do know he needs 20 faith and Int to get the hexxer set (awesome hood) from the Dark sorcerer guy by the hunters copse bonfire in the cave, right? If he's going for a flexible PvE not PvP magic swordsman build faith does add a lot of damage to the magic swords compared to adding more Int, as Int gets higher it adds less damage and raising the lower Faith gives you a bigger bonus due to weapon scaling limits. Ex. upping Int to 28 doesn't boost damage as much as raising Faith to 20. Strength and dex is a waste though past what you bare need for the Drangleic shield (16 and 13 I think.) I really like this kind of build, tons of DPS but you are made of glass. There's also the bonus of having stand-off capability from 2 attuned soul arrows spells (62 bolts.)

A good sorcerer guide:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68853098

#15 Edited by amillionhp (482 posts) -

@mbrockway: I'm aware of the hexer set, but doesn't the black set give better bonuses to both int and fth anyway? Wouldn't that be a better choice? That set only requires int i think. Actually, if he does decide to go pure int, the sorceress hood is best i think.

I'm assuming he is going for Moonlight Greatsword eventually since his stats were exactly at 18 which i think is the requirements for that weapon. That doesn't scale at all with fth does it?

The fire sword may scale better with an even investment on both magic stats but unless he is going to stick with fire weapons or dark weapons exclusively, the fth would be a wasted stat that doesn't apply to any magic infused weapon.

Personally if i was going for just a Faith Mage that didn't use hexes but wanted to keep stats for both magic types, i would pick one to invest heavily into and only keep the other stat at a minimum for particular spells. Force and Magic barrier might be some examples of decent miracles for a faith mage that is more heavily int invested. But he can lower his Faith considerably from where its at and use spices to lower cost on some miracles.

#16 Posted by mbrockway (3550 posts) -

Even so, it looks like he's going to have to respec anyways. He may as well bump Faith 2 points to 20 first and get the hex set and staff then respec. The hood gives you more casts (and looks like an assassin's creed hood with the Drangleic armor) and the boots and gloves are also really good armor for the light weight.

#17 Posted by B3GV5M63 (59 posts) -

THIS PROVES THAT MOST PEOPLE USE THE GOD DAMN FAQING OP SORCERY AND HEXES. ALMOST 40 K VIEWS FOR THIS THREAD. fk you all magic users. fking pussies. retards. cant fight with real weapons. biatches.

#18 Edited by Hellcanwait (848 posts) -

@b3gv5m63:

aww someone is gettng his arse handed to him in pvp, try looking at hexes and see if there is anything that might help you fight magic users.

next time just ask for help, don't act like a baby.

#19 Edited by PokoThePenguim (6 posts) -

@indzman: @indzman: First of all Kill tje girl after the dragonrider and go buy the saints hood it gives you more spell uses

#20 Posted by tomlittle22 (86 posts) -

Been using a Magic Mace since very near the start. Am now level 253 and have never found anything better than its 168/168 damage. My strength and dex are obviously very low, so its not like I have options