Changes You Would like to See in Dark Souls 2

#1 Posted by SevenStyx (5 posts) -

A better more invested story worthy of the best RPG combat game ever, with more humans, and human themes and philosophy involved (compassion, honor, love, vengeance) and more story choices with multiple endings including the choice of a heroic not so sad ending as well as an evil ending and a love story, that could alone (w/o the excellent combat) motivate DS2 players to play through again to see the alternate endings based on these various choices. These endings should be based on complex choices and not at all like the awful cheesy endings in Fallout based on single actions in the game.

#2 Posted by karloss01 (531 posts) -
I would like to play with friends without the problem of being invaded by other players. I've only used my humanity once and was invaded immediately by a guy who just one shot me, putting me off the human aspect entirely.
#3 Posted by DNOMYTE (2675 posts) -
Magic has to be improved. Dragon's Dogma is so diverse and awesome with magic. Soul Arrow and Pyromancy are not enough. Also should take a clue from DD for boss battle's. Jumping on a boss and holding on is very fun. But then again there will be a DD2 and I can appreciate getting to completely different experiences from DS2 and DD2. One thing that needs improvement is online. I don't feel it's fair to be invaded by people 30-50 levels higher than you.
#4 Posted by SetNoSun (1 posts) -
Dual wielding actually being a viable strategy, more balanced weapons, better ranged weapons (perhaps even making crossbows have a use), and make the 'Super-Heavy Knight' build not an automatic win button. Also, make 'Theif' builds more viable because as of right now you can't even parry/backstab like 75% of the enemies in the game, so you're at a severe disadvantage compared to heavier classes. Also agree with what was said above about the story. I think From is going to do DkS2 very well because they actually listen to their fans even at their own expense (We asked for a PC version and they gave it their best shot... even with zero experience developing computer games and probably having already begun development on DkS2, they still made it just for us <3) Here's hoping it gets GOTY like it will most likely deserve.
#5 Posted by SevenStyx (5 posts) -

Dark Souls needs the things that generic RPG's have like...an extensive crafting system, extensive dialogue and dialogue options with more people and more cities and civilization (it feels like were in some prehistoric period b/c there's hardly any people in the game), multiple alternate endings based on who you kill and dialogue choices, a more "human" story instead of the dead guy story, i liked Demon's Souls story better with a hero trying to save something instead of feeling dead the whole time. I think they should make classes more distinct, something WoW and Baldur's Gate have a strong grasp upon which allows people to identify and attach to their characters. Even though you pick a thief or Wizard in Dark Souls it doesn't play like a thief or Wizard. Another thing is there needs to be a unique, more dramatic backstab cinematic for different monstesrs. Nonetheless Hidetaka has moved the RPG genre ahead light years with his contribution of mood, atmosphere, combat. There is an authentic creativity to his world while not altering what we know as RPG worlds in a bad way. He has the right idea that everything needed has already been created and draws most of his lore from original Dungeons and Dragons. I thought skyrim...putting vikings and dragons together was cheesy and its weird that you can pick some cat dude.

#6 Posted by Sqadala_Man (1 posts) -

First thing I noticed in Dark Souls was the inferior atmosphere, compared to Demon's Souls. It's nice to see the devs are paying attention to this. Honestly though, it's not the atmosphere that really needed work, it's the off-the-wall balance and mechanics between all the weapons, and the stats that govern them too, that needed serious polish. Animation speeds are probably the most spuradic of all. Everything needs to be at -least- viable, right down to simplistic throwing knives (which take far too long to throw). Dual wielding should have forced independent swinging for every weapon and a parry if of adequate size.

Magic needs to be rethought completely and freed from the clunkiness that is so entwined within these games. It needs to be rewarding and fun, not repetitive and uninspired. Nox is a good example of how a caster should feel: dynamic (if possible), fast (casting speed, not movement) and powerful through their versatility, not just damage. Most of all, more powerful variants of the same spell MUST go. All RPG elements for magic should be governed entirely by stats, without an item extension. I'd like my caster's hands to be free, if I choose.

#7 Posted by AstroGamex (3 posts) -
id like to see a bigger and open world, the dificulty is good but maybe in DS2 the dificulty will be lower, better enemys with more Intelligence would be great, and more people
#8 Posted by HoldingAjar (109 posts) -
Alotta people dont realize that the story lines have actually been pretty sick. It just doesnt really start to make sense till ng+ haha.. I think thats whats awesome about souls tho, like a trademark.. Dead space for instance I personally thought was cooler when your character had no dialogue. It gives you that open space to assume the character feeling whatever you want them to. As far as changes its hard to say, dark souls was pretty flawless not too many complaints.. def know what i dont want tho, this title to get raped by people who want to make profit from it nd make it more playable for noobs.
#9 Posted by Thessassin (1819 posts) -
- fix red eye orb, why can you invade people 200 levels above you? <- make it how the black eye stone was - dont mess with the games difficulty - fix co-op. dark souls system makes it stupidly hard to play with friends, bring back demons souls blue eye stone - dont mess with the games difficulty - fog ring is crap, bring back the theif's ring to make stealth invasions fun again - dont mess with the games difficulty - more diversity for casters would be nice - dont mess with the games difficulty - as the story is you have to listen to every character talk and read item descriptions to gain insight into the world, i like that idea but give a little more to players who arent a fan of it - lastly, dont mess with the games difficulty
#10 Posted by blkgto (790 posts) -

terrible ideas.

#11 Posted by godsend1989 (113 posts) -

3 words: Blade of Darkness

With all the physics that is now, Blade of Darkness did it better in 2001 with realistic limb cuts and better combat mechanics, better AI, better game overall why not inspire from there, its like the best sword fighting game ever made.

All Dark Souls 2 team should just play the game and see what a masterpiece looks like and then implement in their game, don't reinvent the wheel.

#12 Posted by RustedTruck650 (122 posts) -

There's a lot of nonsense personal liking ideas been thrown out there about DKS 2, for example: a better story and more dialog. Really? Anyway, if Dark Souls needs anything then it will be a more didecated network.

#13 Posted by dantaris (73 posts) -

I had a power surge while playing the game.    It corruped my game save file.    I had invested hours and hours into the game.    Had a character level 275 or so and a couple others in the high hundreds.   It was all lost and I had to start over.

I would like to see some measure implemented (PS3 or 4) where there is some means of protecting the game save file.

#14 Posted by yazman666 (13 posts) -

Id love to see more repercussion of covenants in the world, I mean the concept was great in dark souls but the output was poor, and NO I do not want more accessibility or information that is simply the best part of the souls series. Also the frame rate hopefully is not an issue in this time around (blighttown was almost unplayable). When it comes to multiplayer..P2P proved to be a pain so they need to work hard on that. Other than that bring it on

#15 Posted by Diamondsoulz (363 posts) -

Just the ablity to play it on the PS4 I hope the game isn't too dark where you can't see anything Just want improved graphics and immersion over the last game bigger areas where you can explore not too linear. I hope the bosses are still unique I also want the Capra Demon to come back except fight him in a Wishing Welll this time with coins all over the place.

#16 Posted by Napalm_354 (2 posts) -
Really love Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, mostly just want more of the same. This idea of being able too see the ghosts of other ppl, the blood stains really helps the immersion. What I would like to see change however is forced PvP, no fun really getting invaded by some low life with maxed gear when you are on first run through with you char. Got to keep the cooperative part of the game and don't punish ppl for trying to help others.
#17 Posted by Kosake (375 posts) -

As someone who played both DeS and DkS from day 1, and still play both, here's my 2 cents:

Harder initial difficulty - DeS made you work for some of the bosses, and didn't always make it immediately obvious how to kill something.  DkS went to the typical American philosophy of 'Hit the part that's obviously different to the point where it may as well have a target painted on'.  I know it doesn't matter for NG+ and on, but that initial feeling of dread was one of the better points of DeS that remains superior to DkS.

Dragons - Make them harder.  When I imagine a battle with a dragon, I'd like to think of a cross between Skyrim's dragons (in that they use claw, tail, breath, wing, fly away, hover, etc) and DeS difficulty.  This could provide heavy challenges for players in optional fights, or force players into trying tricks other than 'Super Heavy' builds.  While Seathe was an interesting boss, the whole tentacle monster / dragon hybrid thing made him woefully underwhelming.

Weapons - Make more weapons viable, and give more weapons the potential for 'S' stats.  Having only a hand full of weapons that are really viable for end-game play makes the game repetitive.  I don't want fist weapons to be a novelty, I want them to be deadly.  I don't want a Scythe to just look cool, I want it to strike fear into my opponents.  I want speed to have value, and for it to truly be a trade-off for power, instead of people just pivot-swinging their Zwei boom-sticks.

PvP - Fist off, remove forced PvP.  Period.  Some people play the game and love the co-op aspect, but hate having PvP forced upon them.  Make it an option or something.  Secondly; Remove back-stabbing on other players.  Simple.  Back Stabbing is a method used in many games for when you've snuck up on an enemy.  When another player is in your world, there's a very high chance that you know it.  There's no element of surprise,  no sneaking to your opponent, so why should there be PvP backstabs which are constantly glitched into using lag or various tricks?

Armor - Make more armors viable.  By end game, people have ran over the armors and picked them apart as which one is worth the most per point of weight, and found the best possible combinations for every build you can think of.  Some armors are obviously OP when you get them, some are obviously gimped no matter what.  Balance is needed.

Lastly, Monsters - I want more of them.  I want to be attacked by a group of monsters who could each easily kill me on their own.  I want to have to go on the defensive, find a strategic position, and take them out; or go out in a blaze of glory as I attempt to kill them all at once.  Either way, the monsters of the world need to pose more of a threat, and need to do so in greater numbers.

#18 Posted by apocalypsehorse (417 posts) -

Harder initial difficulty - DeS made you work for some of the bosses, and didn't always make it immediately obvious how to kill something.  DkS went to the typical American philosophy of 'Hit the part that's obviously different to the point where it may as well have a target painted on'.  I know it doesn't matter for NG+ and on, but that initial feeling of dread was one of the better points of DeS that remains superior to DkS.

Kosake

This is Hilarious because Demons Souls gives away more of the game than Dark Souls ever did.

you spend the last moments of 1-1 fighting monsters that make it clear that they are seperate to the actual boss.

the camera focuses on the feet of the boss in 1-2

Dragon God fight is basically given away at 2-3.

the Adjudicator in 4-1 has sound clues and a gigantic piece of blade stuck into him, also I'm pretty sure the cutscene has a slight focus on the bird.

Old Hero is very obviously blind.

The hardest part of Demons Souls is getting to the bosses, which is more effort than it sounds, The hardest part of Dark Souls is defeating the bosses.

#19 Posted by 9a3iqa (62 posts) -

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I believe they should return all the good things about Demon's Souls but keep the improvement's and world of Dark Souls.

#20 Posted by SoxsMafia (208 posts) -

An HD texture pack for PC and more challenges/rewards towards the end

#21 Posted by ShadowofSonic (24616 posts) -
I think Dark Souls was pretty perfect. Just gimme more o' dat!
#22 Posted by andy7985 (554 posts) -
Camera. Camera. Camera. FREAKING CAMERA!!! Loved DeS and DaS to death, but I just found what they did with the camera to be entirely lackluster and from 2005. A largely static camera gliding around just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I think if they took camera techniques from recent 3rd person games (Uncharted, Tomb Raider reboot, Gears) the game would be a lot more immersive. How bout some subtle camera wobble while walking and some well placed shakes during action/sprinting?
#23 Posted by minev28 (33 posts) -

Better and improved online interaction.

#24 Posted by Silverlake21 (20 posts) -

I very much disagre with you, sorry. Please do not add hundred of hours of talking to npc's! I love Dark Souls due to the fact that it has the creepy alone feeling to it. I do not want to see this game as a sand box game, Dark Souls had an open feeling to it, but it still had a path you had to follow for the most part.

I would hope they would leave most of it alone, it was near perfect in my mind. The only thing that bugged me was trying to get to the two bosses as a human with out been invaded, I needed npc help. And the lvl difference during pvp was a pain also.

#25 Posted by thebruceshow (107 posts) -

I want horse combat system with armor upgrades and customizations. We already have the targeting system in place, if you want to build on a already great game lets upgrade it, not create the "same thing" just new areas and armor?! Im not saying the whole game needs to be accessible by horse, in some cases you will need to spot the horse out side the cave, or befor you enter on the cliff ledge. This would be a true challenge for production, but if they did it, would set the bar in multiplayer combat. or you could just make a similar sequel to turn a quick buck like everyone else.

#26 Posted by RustedTruck650 (122 posts) -

Souls doesn't really have a dedicated pvp system in it, the devs just did the whole interaction thing to help others and to invade and kill other with whatever means nessesary. We get a bit of aid through patches because From Software knows that we use Souls to pvp but the game really was never meant for PVP. So, how about an actual pvp system in Souls 2 ?!

#27 Posted by darksoulja7 (12 posts) -
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/18/26/04/69/invade11.jpg (Invading another world as a black phantom).. I would like to see this shield added to the game. There are a ton of plagiarized designs getting big votes.. help me get this bad boy in a good spot for the dark souls II shield design contest! click link then click vote! https://apps.facebook.com/darksoulsii/?gallery&action=view&id=2413
#28 Posted by Darkersouls (2 posts) -
I agree with you about this. I don't think it should have more dialog or anything else that should have it more like any other game. This game deserves a genre of itself. just improve the glitches and divert a little between classes and spells.
#29 Posted by Choppa675 (12 posts) -

They should really fix the backstab problem. I mean, how many of you have been chain backstabbed? Worst part is that alot of people just spam it instead of just fighting fair, also no overpowered darkwood grain ring. That ring have annoyed me more than anything else in Dark Souls. Try playing as a heavy and someone is just flipping around you while you try to hit him and then he just chain backstab you to death and you know what i mean... Also I would like if they could do something about the ganking because they are a plague in Dark Souls.

#30 Posted by Dang_Man (34 posts) -
I THINK THE STORY STRUCTURE SHOULD STAY THE SAME BECAUSE THE LAST THING I WANT IS TO LISTEN TO 30 MINUTES OF CONSTANT BABBLING LIKE skyrim DID. I THINK THE ONLY CHANGES I WANT TO SEE ARE A LOT MORE ARMOR SETS AND A BACK STAB RESISTANCE.
#31 Posted by Poordevil (186 posts) -

I wouldn't mind a little different gameplay focus in DS2. We have two Souls games that are basically the same, and I think a third might be over kill.  There ought to be some kind of evolution in the series or else risk becoming stagnant. The question is what to tweak or change and what to leave alone.

I am sure the games difficulty has been under consideration. Personally I wouldn't mind if the game's difficulty was tweaked, or if the game was made difficult in a different way. I don't want an easy game, but i would like to see the difficulty to change focus. Have something to play other than another  Demon Souls / Dark Souls clone.

That said I do want another Souls game, not some milky action RPG I could play with half my brain on auto pilot. I want it challenging like Dark Souls but the in your face brutality I wouldn't mind leaving behind with the two previous games and replacing that with something else to keep the game compelling.

The million dollar question is how would the difficulty be shifted or changed? What could be done and still keep the game engrossing, fun and a challenge to Souls players?

I dunno. That's the devs job and it would take some smart talented people to pull it off. But as a Souls player that's what I would like to see.

#32 Posted by GoldenSquire757 (372 posts) -

DONT turn this game into Elder Scrolls.

Don't add "horse combat"

Don't remove forced PvP

Don't add any more than the vague stories we've come to love to decipher

Don't change the action to some hack and slash Dragon's Dogma fight (not saying D.Dogma was bad at all)

Don't try to emulate ANY other RPG.

DO:

Find a way to spice up the PvE combat for experienced players 

Add more balancing in weapons make all weapon types viable 

Create more diverse spells

Keep the recurring characters/items like Patches, Crestfallen Warrior, Red Dragon, Red-Eyed knights, MOONLIGHT GREAT SWORD....etc. 

Let invaders come into the invaded world whereever they use the invasion item at to allow more stealth invasions. (This could be for a assassin type covenant)

Make another great game. 

#33 Posted by importpower (3464 posts) -

DONT turn this game into Elder Scrolls.

Don't add "horse combat"

Don't remove forced PvP

Don't add any more than the vague stories we've come to love to decipher

Don't change the action to some hack and slash Dragon's Dogma fight (not saying D.Dogma was bad at all)

Don't try to emulate ANY other RPG.

DO:

Find a way to spice up the PvE combat for experienced players 

Add more balancing in weapons make all weapon types viable 

Create more diverse spells

Keep the recurring characters/items like Patches, Crestfallen Warrior, Red Dragon, Red-Eyed knights, MOONLIGHT GREAT SWORD....etc. 

Let invaders come into the invaded world whereever they use the invasion item at to allow more stealth invasions. (This could be for a assassin type covenant)

Make another great game. 

GoldenSquire757

I agree with you.

I think it would also be cool if it didn't tell players that they were being invaded or at least add a ring or something that could do that. Would give players that constant sense of dread that there could be someone in their game at anytime but not sure. I think it would make people even more cautious and make it all more exciting at all times.

#34 Posted by tb0rg0 (30 posts) -

terrible ideas.

blkgto

#35 Posted by 0Hamburgher (957 posts) -
-No love story -DS has better boss battle than DD -I don't want a deep story for this game. :P
#36 Posted by Gzuzfreak (18 posts) -

I think that your wish is their command this time; the story of Dark Souls wasn't necessarily chalk-full of those ideas you listed, but those ideas are still there. They were hidden in all the backstory of all the other characters that you literally had to kill for before you got answers, and the character was in some obsqure place in some crazy situation that it was almost unbelievable that it could happen, BUT when you do find it, it's like finding God. You feel accomplished when you actually figured out just a little bit of this jarbled mess. Their plan to make it more "accessable" or more "assessible" or whatever I'm sure is a good one, but I will sure miss the feeling of reuniting the Siegmeyer's family again or seeking revenge on Knight Lautrec to save the renewed soul of Anastacia. And to answer your innitial question, I want an invite system so I can play with my friends, and a NEW FREAKING FACE/HAIR LAYOUT. The characters are so fugly that I make sometimes.... well...

See for yourself. This is my friends instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/T0HMk2ofMY/#

#37 Posted by jah132000 (0 posts) -

First off, lets get something clear. Cross-platform multiplayer is a thing (it could happen).

So what are the cons to cross-platform multiplayer exactly?
Well, many console players seem to be of the mind that since a game is on PC it will automatically be infested with hackers. I disagree, and in fact I think some PC games will see less hackers depending on a multitude of factors.

What about the mouse precision advantage, a controller can't go up against that, right?! - Well wait, Dark Souls isn't a point and click shooter, so why is a mouse even relevant to these types of games? Lets not forget that a lot of PC Dark Souls players are on a controller anyways, and for good reason.

On to my idea, I say we increase the online player-base of Dark Souls 2 times three by adding in cross platform multiplayer. Consider that PC gamers will be able to play with their PS3/Xbox friends and family (co-op ftw!).

From what I understand, developers are not barred from making cross-platform games, but few have chosen to go this route. I suspect these games are not being made because the last time Microsoft tried to do it, PC FPS players were destroying their Xbox counterparts (go figure). In any event I really think that Dark Souls 2 could pull cross-platform multiplayer off, and I hope they decide to try it.

One final note, having network options to only allow different platforms when summoning/invading would be stellar, but I could wait for that feature.

Thoughts/opinions?